Requestiong protection/replacement plans on PSP at retails

phantomer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
pretty much all stores offer some sort of protectino plan, but i need more details. how many years, how much, rules, limits, whatever.

i asked gamestop guy once, and he thought they have one for 1 year for $30-40.

would be nice if someone gathers infos and post at gamedeal forum. afterall, this is sony hardware.

Best Buy
- 2 years only
- 35-40(not sure yet)
- replacement plan
- does not cover accidental damage(apparently)
- covers manufacturer defects(e.g. dead pixels)
- not sure about this, but you might get a gift card with the amount you paid on purchase, meaning if the PSP drops to $200, you still get $250+tax. I read something about this on the free IGN PSP board but I can't find it since non-insiders can't search(how stupid...)

EBGames
- 1 year, extendable
- 1 replacement, after which you must renew
- does not cover accidental damage(not sure)
- covers manufacturer defects
- $25 I think?

Gamestop
- 1 year, extendable
- $20 or $25 I think

Gamecrazy
- 1 year
- $20 I believe
- terms are very iffy. some say it covers accidents and manufacturer defects(and even intentional damage) but the one in my area described it as an extended manufacturer's warranty

Toys R Us
- all I know is that it has one

Gamerush/Blockbuster
- none unfortunately, and that's where I preordered my PSP... :(

FYE
- none AFAIK

I'm not too clear on the details and I guess it really depends on the employee you're dealing with.. Hopefully anyone who is more clear on the details can point out the mistakes if any...

BTW, is buying one of these plans really necessary? I understand there is the convenience factor as well as the fact that you can probably trade your old PSP for a new one especially if a newer model with a better battery comes out, but if you preordered at a place that doesn't have the extended warranty, should you be worried? I'm currently thinking of trying to get my PSP at Best Buy with the PRP on launch if possible then cancelling my Gamerush preorder and using the credit on games...

[quote name='doomgaze_86']Best Buy
- 2 years only
- 35-40(not sure yet)
- replacement plan
- not sure about this, but you might get a gift card with the amount you paid on purchase, meaning if the PSP drops to $200, you still get $250+tax. I read something about this on the free IGN PSP board but I can't find it since non-insiders can't search(how stupid...)

EBGames
- 1 year, extendable
- $25 I think?

Gamestop
- 1 year, extendable
- $20 or $25 I think

Gamecrazy
- 1 year
- $20 I believe
- terms are very iffy. some say it covers accidents and manufacturer defects(and even intentional damage) but the one in my area described it as an extended manufacturer's warranty

Toys R Us

Gamerush/Blockbuster

FYE
- none AFAIK

I'm not too clear on the details and I guess it really depends on the employee you're dealing with.. Hopefully anyone who is more clear on the details can point out the mistakes if any...

BTW, is buying one of these plans really necessary? I understand there is the convenience factor as well as the fact that you can probably trade your old PSP for a new one especially if a newer model with a better battery comes out, but if you preordered at a place that doesn't have the extended warranty, should you be worried? I'm currently thinking of trying to get my PSP at Best Buy with the PRP on launch if possible then cancelling my Gamerush preorder and using the credit on games...[/quote]

Correction, EB Games does cover accidental damage on ther extended service warranties. I know this for a fact because I work there.

Also, when I bought my system from Best Buy, they said that it does cover accidental damage? I'd be pissed if they lied to me...

I would love to accidenatally drop my PSP off the top bunk and replace it when the upgrade comes out!

one thing that i liked about bestbuy's plan is i can exchange it for something else instead of exchanging for another psp. i had cd player with their plan, and i chose to get voucher so i could buy something else.

i think other stores only allow exchange for the same item.

[quote name='doomgaze_86']Best Buy
- 2 years only
- 35-40(not sure yet)
- replacement plan

EBGames
- 1 year, extendable
- $25 I think?

Gamestop
- 1 year, extendable
- $20 or $25 I think

Gamecrazy
- 1 year
- $20 I believe

Toys R Us

Gamerush/Blockbuster

FYE
- none AFAIK

BTW, is buying one of these plans really necessary? I understand there is the convenience factor as well as the fact that you can probably trade your old PSP for a new one especially if a newer model with a better battery comes out, but if you preordered at a place that doesn't have the extended warranty, should you be worried? I'm currently thinking of trying to get my PSP at Best Buy with the PRP on launch if possible then cancelling my Gamerush preorder and using the credit on games...[/quote]

thanks 4 the info dude! i think that a warranty plan is definately needed tho because that massiv psp screen is jus wising to b scratched or cracked. If that happens, then u can jus trade it in for a brand new one. nothin beats that

All the stores fudge the truth (lie) to sell the protection plans... I've had EB,Gamestop and Best Buy clerks all swear that they will replace stuff covered for any reason at all, including accidental damage. It's never bothered me since I don't buy them but with the PSP being my first Sony system, I will have to start. No one seems to really know what the costs for each store will be since each time you asked, it's a different amount.

I've even seen a clerk at Best Buy pushing a warranty on a PS2 and when asked by the customer about the PS3 coming out, tell them not to worry and to just "accidentally" break the PS2 when the new system ships so that BB will replace it with the latest model (being the PS3.) Had to laugh at that one. :)

Hopefully when launch day arrives we can find out the hard numbers on what each store will charge for the extended warranty.

http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=82503734&start=82513801

Apparently according to that guy, Compusa is doing a 2 yr replacement plan for $44.99. You don't have to buy the PSP from them, just bring your receipt in as well as your working PSP and they'll give you the plan.

Once again the terms of the warranty are very iffy. That guy says it covers everything except theft, but the Compusa at Montclair, CA says it doesn't cover negligence(i.e. dropping it). I assume you get unlimited replacements within the 2 year period.

I work at Sears and we sell something called a Merchandise Replacement Agreement. It is 15% of the cost so on the PSP it would be $37.50. It extends the manufacter's warrenty by a year. So I'm not sure if the PSP is 90 days or a year but anyways it would add a year to that. At my store this covers ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that happens to the product (dropped in water, dog chews it up), basically anything except if you lose it. This is a straight replacement warrenty with no questions asked. Now they may put a Protection Agreement on the PSP which wouldnt cover everything and it must be repaired. I'm not sure which type of warrenty it will be but the DS, PS2, and Xbox all have the replacement warrenty.

wait wtf sony covers for a year?

I never bothered with protection plans before, but with the psp...o well, i already spend 500 on it, 50 more to be on the safe side.

[quote name='Johnny Postman']I've even seen a clerk at Best Buy pushing a warranty on a PS2 and when asked by the customer about the PS3 coming out, tell them not to worry and to just "accidentally" break the PS2 when the new system ships so that BB will replace it with the latest model (being the PS3.)[/quote]

When I worked at BB a year or so before the PS2 was about to launch, everyone at my store was saying to the customers who wanted to hold of on buying PS1's. On another note, if you currently work at BB and you buy a discounted PSP/PRP, when you quit or get fired, its no longer good...They can replace for same item but as far as getting your money back/giftcard/voucher, its nooooo good.

[quote name='vietgurl'][quote name='doomgaze_86']Best Buy
- 2 years only
- 35-40(not sure yet)
- replacement plan

EBGames
- 1 year, extendable
- $25 I think?

Gamestop
- 1 year, extendable
- $20 or $25 I think

Gamecrazy
- 1 year
- $20 I believe

Toys R Us

Gamerush/Blockbuster

FYE
- none AFAIK

Correction, EB Games does cover accidental damage on ther extended service warranties. I know this for a fact because I work there.

Also, when I bought my system from Best Buy, they said that it does cover accidental damage? I'd be pissed if they lied to me...[/quote]

Last time I checked the Best Buy warranties do not cover damage. I was going to buy one for a PDA but they said that it did not cover damage... so I did not buy the warranty.

my story FWIW...bought the xbox for $199 xmas 2003. dde's drove me crazy, so just before the 2yr BB replacement plan expired i requested a replacement. i figured they'd send me a NIB xbox. instead they gave me a $200+tax instore credit card. i bought a new xbox for $150, espn nfl 2k5, another replacement plan ($20-$25) and still had some leftover change.

the next stage of the plan is to replace the xbox either before the 2 year period is up, or if there is a significant price drop and apply difference to another item. a good way to think of it is that you pay $20-$25 to retain the MSRP value of your item...that's the good part of the deal along with the convenience factor. the only down side is that you have to buy something from BB, but you were going to anyways so deal with it.

I was just told by a Game Crazy employee that their year warranty will be $29.99 for the PSP instead of their usual $19.99.

Even though Sony's Warranty is for 1 year, it is sometimes easier and cheaper to just get the replacement plan from a local store when you buy your system and then just go and do the exchange yourself. That way you get you replacement system the same day and do not have to pay shipping costs which sometimes are around the same price as the replacement plans anyways.

bread's done
Back