Resident Evil 4: Better on GC or PS2?

V Man

CAGiversary!
Since I got my wii, i've been looking into more GC games... seeing that TRU has RE4 for $10, i decided to look for it....
I saw one copy at BB for the GC, but was sorta hesitant with the TRU clearance, so i stashed it somewhere....
My brother in law told me that he found me a copy at TRU, but he found me a copy of the PS2 version... and we havent been able to find one for the GC...
So what should i do? Keep the PS2 version for $10? or get the GC version for $15 at BB with ggc?
i sure as hell can't find the GC version of RE4 at any TRU's, so i'm left with those two choices...
I wanted the GC version for the cleaner looking graphics (didnt care much about the Ada side missions), but is it really worth the $5? What do you think?

Get both. The GC version is just so much more beautiful (plus cutscenes are rendered realtime instead of having to queue up movies), and the PS2 version fleshes out the story nicely. That's what, $25? You'd only need to miss 4 meals.

PS2 version has a ton of extra stuff, the only thing the GC version has over it is that it looks a little prettier. Stay with the PS2 version I say, you're getting more game for your money.

[quote name='whoknows']PS2 version has a ton of extra stuff, the only thing the GC version has over it is that it looks a little prettier. Stay with the PS2 version I say, you're getting more game for your money.[/quote]

Actually, I'd say it looks a LOT prettier. Things like marble statues, the lava, the realtime cutscenes...

Plus, you know how you have to press a button during some of the cutscenes? (I'm thinking the knife fight w/ Krauser in particular.) The ps2 version was so much easier because it had like 2 seconds of load time to pick. Or something. Made the fight choppy-seeming too.

Well, it's all a matter of opinion. I have both, LE versions, and I don't regret it. For the prices he's getting, even paying for both is a steal.

[quote name='Rasen']Actually, I'd say it looks a LOT prettier. Things like marble statues, the lava, the realtime cutscenes...

Plus, you know how you have to press a button during some of the cutscenes? (I'm thinking the knife fight w/ Krauser in particular.) The ps2 version was so much easier because it had like 2 seconds of load time to pick. Or something. Made the fight choppy-seeming too.

Well, it's all a matter of opinion. I have both, LE versions, and I don't regret it. For the prices he's getting, even paying for both is a steal.[/QUOTE]
I own both versions and I don't think the GC version looks amazingly better. The difference is noticeable, but it's not a big deal at all. And as for the loading between the button pressing cutscenes, I haven't noticed it.

In principal I would go with Gamecube just to support Shinji Mikami's decision to not port it to the PS2 under his watch.

Then again, we may not have gotten Okami and Godhand if it wasnt for Capcom's decision to port it anyway.

I'd get the PS2 version. The GC version isn't that much better looking and the extra Ada storyline would make the PS2 version worth more to me, let alone a better choice when cheaper. On a side note, if you have a widescreen TV, the PS2 supports true widescreen, the GC version is always letterboxed.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I'd get the PS2 version. The GC version isn't that much better looking and the extra Ada storyline would make the PS2 version worth more to me, let alone a better choice when cheaper. On a side note, if you have a widescreen TV, the PS2 supports true widescreen, the GC version is always letterboxed.[/QUOTE]

Did you forget your contacts? The GC version blows the PS2 one out of the water.

[quote name='4tygames']I say that the controls feel better on the GameCube version than the PS2 version. Much more natural and precise.[/quote]

I agree. I couldn't put my finger on it, but something about it seems better on the Cube. Either way you are going to love it.

[quote name='David85']Did you forget your contacts? The GC version blows the PS2 one out of the water.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a widescreen TV? I tried RE4 on Wii with the Component cables and PS2 with Component cables, The PS2 looks better when viewed in it's true widescreen format. The GC looks fucked and double stretch on a widescreen TV. On a old school 4:3 it's a different story.

My vote goes to PS2 IF you have a HDTV.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Do you have a widescreen TV? I tried RE4 on Wii with the Component cables and PS2 with Component cables, The PS2 looks better when viewed in it's true widescreen format. The GC looks fucked and double stretch on a widescreen TV. On a old school 4:3 it's a different story.

My vote goes to PS2 IF you have a HDTV.[/QUOTE]

My TV is 4:3 by default, but can go into 16:9... both my Wii and PS2 are running component... i was thinking i would play GC's RE4 on 4:3 since it's just letterboxed.... i went and bought the GC version anyway... so now, i have both... i dont know which one to open!?! should i take the red box, or the blue box....

Better graphics, better load times, more zombies and the controls feel better.

[quote name='V Man']My TV is 4:3 by default, but can go into 16:9... both my Wii and PS2 are running component... i was thinking i would play GC's RE4 on 4:3 since it's just letterboxed.... i went and bought the GC version anyway... so now, i have both... i dont know which one to open!?! should i take the red box, or the blue box....[/QUOTE]

If your TV is PHYSICALY SQUARE. then the GC version is the way to go.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']If your TV is PHYSICALY SQUARE. then the GC version is the way to go.[/QUOTE]

Sweeet....My Square tv should work well with the GC version then...

Thanks everyone for all the help... I'll probably return my PS2 version, since it'll probably just collect dust next to some other unopened PS2 games (Beyond Good & Evil [i know its good, it'll be played eventually], ATV Off Road Fury, Destruction Derby Arenas, and good ol' Nascar Thunder 2003!)

looks like I'll be taking the Red case.... Time to finally see how far this rabbit hole goes...

I honestly think the PS2 version looks like shit compared to the GC version. I don't know how some of you can say it's only slightly better looking... the PS2 is blurrier, seems have to less polygon count, and looks washed out. The only good visual aspect of the PS2 version is that it still looks amazing and has true 16:9 support. But the GC version owns it graphically hands down no matter what TV you're using (SD, ED, or HDTV).

The PS2 version also felt... mushy to control. The GC version felt natural within minutes whereas I couldn't aim for shit on the PS2. The PS2 version does have a ton of extras though, which are nice.

I'd still go with the GC version anyday though.

The GC version is more polished overall. The PS2 does support true widescreen but it's still not as shiny as the GC version. Also, the PS2 controls aren't quite as tight as the GC version.

If you're a real RE fan and really want to flesh out the story then open the PS2 version. If you're a casual RE fan then open the GC version. The PS2 extras aren't *that* goddamn great and if you really want to know what happened just look it up on GameFAQs.

[quote name='Vinny'] the PS2 is blurrier, seems have to less polygon count, and looks washed out.[/QUOTE]

I can't remember where but I was reading before the PS2 came out that the PS2 version had a polygon count like 5 times less than the GC. I can't remember the numbers but it was like 20,000 for the GC and 4,000 for the PS2 or soemthing like that.

The game was designed from the ground up for the gamecube.

It was ported to the ps2.

Now which version do you think is better?

I have played both..

Graphic - GameCube, has an edge

Extras - PS2

Controls - It really depends on the person taste... IMO I like the GC, since it just feels a bit more solid to me.

I don't think neither one is better than the other. RE4 is an amazing game on both platform.

The cube version is much, much better. [quote name='Vinny']The PS2 version also felt... mushy to control. The GC version felt natural within minutes whereas I couldn't aim for shit on the PS2.[/QUOTE] The PS2 controller has always felt "mushy". It's just that when you don't have something to compare it to directly you get used to it or blame the game. :lol:

[quote name='Nelo Ice']well...time to fix my msrp mistake of buyin ps2 at full price.....gonna buy gc version for 15 with the bb coupon..[/QUOTE]

Ouch, sorry to hear that.... where'd you find the PS2 version at full price??

I'll go with gamecube as well, I've tried the ps2 version and theres DEFINITELY less polygon counts and the controls dont' feel quite as solid, took me forever to headshot and go for the invincible roundhouse

[quote name='V Man']Ouch, sorry to hear that.... where'd you find the PS2 version at full price??[/quote]

it was around the time the game was just released =(
at least i can get the gc version now though

bread's done
Back