Resident Evil 4 - Worst Puzzle Ever (non-spoiler)

gmzone

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, mainly because I'm afraid to read the spoilers(haven't finished the game yet), but the puzzle with the bread, wine, etc. in the castle has to be the worst puzzle ever in any game. I mean, I thought it was stupid. Took me quite some time to figure out what to do, and the camera didn't help, and the fact that... Well, if I said any more, I'd be giving some things away to those who haven't solved the puzzle. But, let's just say that since you can't do that to most objects, I assumed the same in this situation. That's what frustrates me the most.

Does any of that make sense? Probably not. Oh well.

I had a somewhat feeling that was what you were supposed to do (if you visit somewhere earlier in the game and hit that same type of bell it begins something along the same lines). Anyway, that's not what frustrated me, it's what followed solving that puzzle which was frustrating :wink:

The thing that followed the puzzle wasn't frustrating to me.. two shots and my problems.. "went away" :)

The way I solved that puzzle.. I just aimed down the hall and saw a laser dot on the painting. If you're aiming the gun and you see a dot on an object, that means something will happen when you shoot it. It did take me a while to figure out, though.

There's something you need to buy later on to deal with an enemy.. if you don't, you'll waste tons of bullets.. so.. I won't spoil it for you.. but make sure to buy a rifle and a scope. I don't want you losing as many bullets as I did :)

Actually I didn't even remember the clues to that puzzle. I just noticed that the wine stuck out more than anything else, so I shot it.

Are you talking about the parts where you control Ashley? I solved that puzzle pretty easily, and then those ____ started ______. I could tell that was going to happen. It's a bit harder then I thought it would be to press the correct buttons at the correct time. Worst thing about the entire game though - they gave away MAJOR PLOT POINTS and CHARACTERS in the opening sequence! Whatever you do, people who haven't played this game yet - when you do play it, don't leave the Gamecube running, and watch the intro. Don't do it!

you should have read the postings on the dining room wall. they are clues, meant to be read, so you can figure out the puzzle. the puzzle wasnt stupid, it was actually easy.

I assumed I had to shoot the different parts of the painting in the order suggested by the clues around:

bread -> meat -> dessert -> wine

Nope =)

[quote name='rockhero']I assumed I had to shoot the different parts of the painting in the order suggested by the clues around:

Nope =)[/quote]

ditto

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']All of the puzzles were extremely easy, it is still RE after all.[/quote]

exactly. The game never leaves you stuck, there is always something to tell you what to do, and what is the key to the puzzle

[quote name='rockhero']Can anyone tell me how long Chapter 5 is?[/quote]

It's pretty long. 4 sections but they are long 4 sections. But they're so much fun so it'll go by quick.

[quote name='rockhero']I assumed I had to shoot the different parts of the painting in the order suggested by the clues around:

Nope =)[/quote]

I did the exact same thing.

[quote name='KrazyKefka'][quote name='rockhero']I assumed I had to shoot the different parts of the painting in the order suggested by the clues around:

Nope =)[/quote]

I did the exact same thing.[/quote]

I didn't even think of that ... which is odd because that seems like the obvious answer now.

[quote name='gmzone']I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, mainly because I'm afraid to read the spoilers(haven't finished the game yet), but the puzzle with the bread, wine, etc. in the castle has to be the worst puzzle ever in any game. I mean, I thought it was stupid. Took me quite some time to figure out what to do, and the camera didn't help, and the fact that... Well, if I said any more, I'd be giving some things away to those who haven't solved the puzzle. But, let's just say that since you can't do that to most objects, I assumed the same in this situation. That's what frustrates me the most.

Does any of that make sense? Probably not. Oh well.[/quote]

Hmm I didn't have any issues with the puzzle, I read the all the clues on the walls and the table, and then shot the wine bottle, then the door opened. The funny thing is I didn't even know it was a puzzle, I read the things and the first thing I shot at was the wine bottle, and the door opened. I was sorta left with a feeling of "uhhhh oooo kkkkk" and just went through the door.

I thought it had something to do with the 2 tables, or with the plaques... I kept reading them in different order to no avail.

Nope =)[/quote]

That's what I thought too.

Given the fact that you can't shoot many things in the background, I assumed the same with the painting. Although there are a few doors and locks you can shoot.

[quote name='sisco1986'][quote name='gmzone']I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, mainly because I'm afraid to read the spoilers(haven't finished the game yet), but the puzzle with the bread, wine, etc. in the castle has to be the worst puzzle ever in any game. I mean, I thought it was stupid. Took me quite some time to figure out what to do, and the camera didn't help, and the fact that... Well, if I said any more, I'd be giving some things away to those who haven't solved the puzzle. But, let's just say that since you can't do that to most objects, I assumed the same in this situation. That's what frustrates me the most.

Does any of that make sense? Probably not. Oh well.[/quote]

Hmm I didn't have any issues with the puzzle, I read the all the clues on the walls and the table, and then shot the wine bottle, then the door opened. The funny thing is I didn't even know it was a puzzle, I read the things and the first thing I shot at was the wine bottle, and the door opened. I was sorta left with a feeling of "uhhhh oooo kkkkk" and just went through the door.[/quote]

Ditto to that. I actually only read one of the postings on the wall, basically ignored it, then went over to the long hall with the painting. Using the rifle, the only obvious thing to do was shoot the bottle, the only object that got a dot from the laser scope.

Nope =)[/quote]

I don't know where you got the desert part, but I shot the bread, meat, and then wine in a row with the sniper rifle and had no problem with the puzzle.....

Also of interest, if you go around and go to the opposite side of the counter (from where you snipe the painting), there's magnum ammo!

Like all the other puzzles, I solved it pretty much instantly. The worst puzzle ever would have to be the sliding puzzle in either 7th Guest or 11th Hour. It was ramdinly generated, meaning that about half of them... couldn't be solved. You just can't do sliders like that.

The puzzles in RE4 were easy, but still fun.

[quote name='NeueZiel']I had a somewhat feeling that was what you were supposed to do (if you visit somewhere earlier in the game and hit that same type of bell it begins something along the same lines). Anyway, that's not what frustrated me, it's what followed solving that puzzle which was frustrating :wink:[/quote]

(Not topic related) Just wanted to say I like your siggy very much.

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='rockhero']I assumed I had to shoot the different parts of the painting in the order suggested by the clues around:

Nope =)[/quote]

That's what I thought too.[/quote]

I thought that was how I solved the puzzle, I didn't realize it was just hitting the wine that did it, regardless the puzzle was easy.

Yeah... I read the plague once then immediately shot the bottle. My friend was with me at the time and was like "How'd you know what to do?!" I just kinda looked at him and said "I dunno... looked like a shooting range, kind of."

It's a long hallway you can't access. Obviously you're supposed to shoot something.

However, in the next section, where the cage falls around you and the berserker comes in, I couldn't pass the first two times. But the third time I just skipped the cutscene and the berserker didn't even spawn.

That was a pretty cool glitch.

It's not a glitch. On the third try, the cutscene shows a monk entering and not a berserker. The game adjusts to how you play in certain areas I think.

bread's done
Back