Resident Evil: Deadly Silence hands-on- GI

A

Apossum

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/08d707a0-c33e-4bbc-a710-6065a4d32888.htm

at the time Resident Evil was released almost ten years ago, it was a groundbreaking flashpoint of 3-D horror video games. Many things have changed in the gaming world since then. Unfortunately, this DS adaptation has not. Sure, there are a few new touch screen elements and some of the scares have been moved around. But anyone who appreciates modern amenities in their games like: functional 3-D controls; voice acting you laugh with, not at; and the ability to aim with some degree of accuracy; should beware.

Sounds like it's pretty much the same thing, but portable.

Bad controls, bad voices, bad aim.. yikes. I really hope they fix this before it ships, I was kinda looking forward to this one!

[quote name='Scorch']Bad controls, bad voices, bad aim.. yikes. I really hope they fix this before it ships, I was kinda looking forward to this one![/QUOTE]
But they were all in the 1st one. I am still looking forward to it. I loved the original Resident evil and the old control scheme. I am happy that it is almost the same game but portable.

- tank controls
- save ribbons
- other players in co-op are rpresented by floating stars

These are what bother me the most, hopefully they wont be as glaring when the game is released.

The stars are staying. I think they did it because of hardware limitation and the fact thats its easier to see enemies and so that players wont have "clones" of other players on their screen. I think one of the interviews, they said the hardest part of the port was hardware limitation, but they were able to overcome it.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']- tank controls
- save ribbons

These are what bother me the most, hopefully they wont be as glaring when the game is released.[/QUOTE]

It's already out in Japan, I doubt they'll change anything major outside of translating menus and such.

I hated this game when it first came out...vastly over-rated....but I have bought every iteration of this game. Here I go again, and I'm actually looking forward to this version.

[quote name='mcgavin27']But they were all in the 1st one. I am still looking forward to it. I loved the original Resident evil and the old control scheme. I am happy that it is almost the same game but portable.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I honestly don't care for RE4's control scheme. It plays more like a FPS, which the RE series should have never been like.

[quote name='terribledeli']Same here. I honestly don't care for RE4's control scheme. It plays more like a FPS, which the RE series should have never been like.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, how dare they screw up the dated 'tank' control scheme and actually make one of the best games of the year. Shame on them.

[quote name='gizmogc']Yeah, how dare they screw up the dated 'tank' control scheme and actually make one of the best games of the year. Shame on them.[/QUOTE]

I'm not arguing whether it was a good game, which it was. However, as a Resident Evil game...I'd rank it somewhere between Dead Aim and the original Survivor.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']- tank controls
- save ribbons

These are what bother me the most, hopefully they wont be as glaring when the game is released.[/QUOTE]

-Tank controls have been updated and improved; you can now turn 180degrees with the push of a button and whip out your knife similar to RE4. If they were to change it anymore than that to RE1, it would be blasphemous.
-Don't save every 5 minutes. Whether or not to waste your ribbons has always been part of the tension in RE.
-In competitive mode, it wouldn't make sense to have character models for other players. Then you'd see them shooting at something that isn't there or you already killed and it would become confusing. They were lazy in co-op mode, though.

btw, I'm getting this as soon as I can. GI is often full of it, especially against anything on the DS. They gave GTA:LCS portable of the month, when that was the first and only time they've had a PotM due to PSP's lack of games...

[quote name='GI']Unfortunately, this DS adaptation has not. Sure, there are a few new touch screen elements and some of the scares have been moved around. But anyone who appreciates modern amenities in their games like: 1 functional 3-D controls; 2voice acting you laugh with, not at; 3and the ability to aim with some degree of accuracy; should beware.[/quote]

1. Already explained
2. RE VAing has ALWAYS been bad. Even up to RE4. Which is the point, it's like playing a B-Movie
3. Up, middle, down are all you even need in a game like this. This isn't a FPS. Besides, a good player knows to not even use their gun unless it's absolutely necassary.

The point of REDS is, Capcom's testing the market. If REDS does well, and the market is there, we might be seeing a new RE, or a similar new IP.

[quote name='js1']Your joking right?[/QUOTE]

Actually I'm not. When I heard there was a RE coming out for DS I made it a priority to obtain one before the games release.

Yes, there are supposedly a lot of great games on the DS, but none that interest me enough to own them. So after 3 1/2 months of owning a DS I will finally be buying a game for it once RE: DS comes out.

It's already gotten a 32/40 from Famitsu. That's pretty damn good for an enhanced handheld port. So no, unless you write for Game Informer, it will not suck ass.

I'm passing on this one. I played the Gamecube remake for one thing and for another, there's no way I'm blowing through the microphone to do mouth-to-mouth!8-[

[quote name='myxyplik']there's no way I'm blowing through the microphone to do mouth-to-mouth!8-[[/QUOTE]

One of the more creative minigames in Feel the Magic =oP

[quote name='Kaijufan']I'm waiting for RE 0-CV to be remade so they are similar in style to RE4. ;)[/QUOTE]

oh dear god, if they ever did that with RE2.. :drool: I'd pay so much money. So much.

[quote name='SMMM']
-Don't save every 5 minutes. Whether or not to waste your ribbons has always been part of the tension in RE.
.[/QUOTE]

Dosen't that defeat the purpose of a portable game though?

There is one thing to understand whenever Game Informer reviews a Nintendo title. THEY HATE NINTENDO. Pure and simple. Whenever a nintendo game is released, it will invariably be dropped a few points in its score, or half the review will talk about how nintendo games are all rehashes and people are tired of them.

You know its a good preview when 75% of the review focuses on what design decisions the writer would have made.. Pompus ass.

I love the original Resident Evil and I will pick this game up at launch. I can't wait. fuck you too Game Informer.

Isnt the review effectively faulting a remake of Resident Evil 1....for....being a remake of Resident Evil 1?

I mean, what did they expect.

Its like that one Animal Crossing DS review, highlighting all the features that makes Animal Crossing...what it is, and then faulting them for it.

[quote name='terribledeli']Same here. I honestly don't care for RE4's control scheme. It plays more like a FPS, which the RE series should have never been like.[/QUOTE]

Another believer. I thought I was the only one. Resident Evil is my favorite series. Don't get me wrong RE4 was a good game, but it wasn't Resident Evil. Resident Evil has to have plot twist, zombies and umbrella. I don't want them messing with it. I'm glad RE: DS is a strait port, plus extra's. I played RE:Remake, but it never really felt right.

[quote name='spydey']Another believer. I thought I was the only one. Resident Evil is my favorite series. Don't get me wrong RE4 was a good game, but it wasn't Resident Evil. Resident Evil has to have plot twist, zombies and umbrella. I don't want them messing with it. I'm glad RE: DS is a strait port, plus extra's. I played RE:Remake, but it never really felt right.[/QUOTE]

it also has puzzles and tension from rationing items. I thought RE4 was a good game, but classic RE is something I prefer.

I probably will pick this up when it comes out if I can nab it for 25. I have not bought a console game since I bought Killer 7 last year around August (still have not played more than 30 minutes of it though) but RE on the go is almost too tempting.

[quote name='SMMM']It's already gotten a 32/40 from Famitsu. That's pretty damn good for an enhanced handheld port. So no, unless you write for Game Informer, it will not suck ass.[/QUOTE]
sorry but famitsu gave dead or alive 4 really good scores. And we all know how that game plays:bomb:

That's a fighting game, though. I make it a rule not to listen to any "Professional"s opinion on a fighting game, due to the fact that they rarely have any idea what the fuck they're talking about.

even if the controls are wacky and the graphics aren't pretty its still RE to me
i always wanted a good portable RE game so boom here it is

the thing i looking forward to is co-op mode

if this RE does well for sure a port of the 2nd one would be made and that would own my life

(drools thinking about seeing 2 DS game carts in one game case)

prolly get it two weeks after release. gotta make the money first

bread's done
Back