Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Special Edition for $59.99 @ Amazon (DEAD)

RussellC

CAGiversary!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0061YG0QW/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

$10 off right now. Release Date Delivery for 99 cents available.

Edit: Other upcoming Capcom games now have the option for Release Date Delivery, so update your orders.

Update: PS3 version is not available as of 10:30 PM ET/7:30 PM PT on 1/17/12.

Update #2: The deal is dead as of 4:29 AM ET/1:29 AM PT on 1/21/12. PS3 version still not available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanna get this game but I don't wanna pay 60. At the same time, since it is a mostly MP type game, I don't wanna get burned by missing out on having people to play with by the time it drops.

Darn, i just want the steelbook, I can wait for the game and all the DLC until they release the inevitable super-awersome-complete-ultimate-insert adjective here- version.

[quote name='benjamouth']Thanks OP, but I'll wait for "RE: Operation Racoon City Complete Edition"[/QUOTE]
You should probably wait for the Super Ultimate RE: Operation Racoon City Complete Edition with paid dlc that's locked out on the disc.

it's capcom...so do you think the bonus skins and wpns are unlockable later in the game and/or available for purchase DLC?

Was planning on buying 2 regular editions on release, one for me and one for my cousin for his birthday so this works out perfectly, thanks OP!

I have had both versions on my wish list because I wasn't sure which one I wanted. With them being the same price, the decision makes itself.

Thanks op!

*notices the "Rayman Origins $19.99 w/ free shipping" topic right next to this one and wonders why CAGs are frothing at the mouth to pay $60 for this when it will be $20 in a few months anyway, especially for a Capcom game where saving $40 on the price of the disc will help offset the $90 worth of DLC Capcom has planned for day 1*

[quote name='sadakou']it will be $20 in a few months anyway, especially for a Capcom game where saving $40 on the price of the disc will help offset the $90 worth of DLC Capcom has planned for day 1*[/QUOTE]
That's ludicrous, it should only be $50-$70 worth of content planned on day one. Unless of course, we are talking about color swapping palettes for $15 apiece. Wait, what about lots of adorable costumes and overpowered weapons on day two though? Don't forget how they'll leave off half of the play-modes on day three! This is gonna get pricey.

[quote name='joshnorm']Someone explain the Slant Six hate? I'm not sure where that's stemming from (ie what games they made that were shit) and I'm on my phone so doing the googling won't be a valid option atm[/QUOTE]

All their work on SOCOM games especially Confrontation. That was a MP only game that didn't work out of the box. Considering RE:OR is a MP focused game, I am concerned and I am not ordering it until I see reviews.

[quote name='sadakou']*notices the "Rayman Origins $19.99 w/ free shipping" topic right next to this one and wonders why CAGs are frothing at the mouth to pay $60 for this when it will be $20 in a few months anyway, especially for a Capcom game where saving $40 on the price of the disc will help offset the $90 worth of DLC Capcom has planned for day 1*[/QUOTE]

It's online-focused, so being there at the start (or at least early on) is a big deal to a lot of people.

I know this is CAG, but we are not all just seeking the cheapest prices months later or whatever, but rather the best deals when they are also desirable enough (depends on the individual). If there's a deal on a pre-order like this, then it's a favorable option for some of us.

I know that it isn't gameplay footage, but this Triple Impact trailer was quite droolworthy for me. :drool:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/triple-impact-resident-evil/725551

Too bad we can't just get an animated feature film or series just from this, I was thoroughly entertained, especially with the licker getting owned in the hallway, too badass.

I have seen the other trailers and it looks fairly interesting, so I went ahead and pre-ordered it. At least with Amazon you can change your mind down the line if you want, so hopefully we'll get some good in-depth previews to go by for some more confirmation. The multiplayer modes look quite...different. Hopefully they aren't just lame and horribly repetitive and underdeveloped. :whistle2:#

[quote name='benjamouth']Thanks OP, but I'll wait for "RE: Operation Racoon City Complete Edition"[/QUOTE]

I could not agree more.

I just pre-ordered mine for Xbox360.

Don't really have much faith in this game but it could end up actually being an entertaining game.

Zombies are always welcome and I like the idea of hunting down the RE cast. Although I would much rather give it to Umbrella.

Can always cancel since this is Amazon FYI....if you are on the fence that is.

In case anyone is currently interested in the PS3 Limited Edition, it's available for preorder at Bestbuy for $59.99 as well. Tax makes it pricier, but there's an "exclusive" DLC weapons pack included as well

[quote name='falcinator']In case anyone is currently interested in the PS3 Limited Edition, it's available for preorder at Bestbuy for $59.99 as well. Tax makes it pricier, but there's an "exclusive" DLC weapons pack included as well[/QUOTE]

That doesn't look like the same thing.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...p=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

There's a Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Special Edition for $69.99
and a Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Best Buy Limited Edition for $59.99. The Best Buy Limited Edition doesn't say anything about the steelbook or other stuff.

[quote name='falcinator']In case anyone is currently interested in the PS3 Limited Edition, it's available for preorder at Bestbuy for $59.99 as well. Tax makes it pricier, but there's an "exclusive" DLC weapons pack included as well[/QUOTE]

Sadly Best Buy "Limited Edition" does not equal the "Special Edition". Best Buy's LE appears to just be the regular edition with their DLC preorder bonus which likely means it'll be available in store without preorder anyhow.

I switched my PS3 to the 360, I forgot the PS3 has shit communication and I rather deal with X-Live and have more friends on Live too. I make sure a friend of mine picks this up so we can play this together. And doesn't all these stupid "preorder bonuses" from all these companies are included in the special edition? Better off if you want all those "preorder bonuses" just get the special edition which includes everything.

[quote name='nypickle']I'm afraid to give Capcom my money on a first release after getting burned by Marvel vs Capcom 3.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid to give Capcom my money at all.

I don't know about you guys, but I think this "special edition" is atrocious... there's not one thing distinguishing about it. Two patches, a steelbook, and some digital content? Capcom should be ashamed of themselves b/c this CE actually makes Dead Rising 2's High Stakes Edition look amazing, and that's pretty sad. Granted, I have not seen very much about the game or the actual gameplay, but from what I have seen it reminds me of RE: Outbreak on the PS2 -- which was a novel idea at the time, but failed to really follow through with any substance like prior RE games had commanded. Just my two cents.

All that aside and even though I won't be purchasing this game, I do have to say thank you to the OP for posting the deal. $10 off is still $10 off.

bonus content value is based on the consumer, while an actual umbrella would be nice it might not be incentive enough for someone to shell out the extra dollars for a LE, SE, or CE. It's $10 off making this version trump the standard edition because of the digital content. The rest of the swag you can probably buy at FYE on clearance at some point for pennies.

perfect example...duke nuke'em CE. Great swag, not so great game.

If they also include a $10 + GC for preodering, it'll a lot more attractive to anyone hesitant. Here's to up to $20+ in savings on this. Cause I'd rather get it early for this price than offered later as DLC wpns and skins down the road for space bucks.

Even if this special edition's contents aren't "worth it", it is the exact same price as the regular edition, so why wouldn't people buy it over the standard? Most CEs for games are priced at 79.99, so it was already lower when it was 69.99, so 59.99 seems like a no brainer. Outside of there being sales lowering the standard game to around $45-$50, then I don't see why not...

[quote name='NocturneManiac']Even if this special edition's contents aren't "worth it", it is the exact same price as the regular edition, so why wouldn't people buy it over the standard? Most CEs for games are priced at 79.99, so it was already lower when it was 69.99, so 59.99 seems like a no brainer. Outside of there being sales lowering the standard game to around $45-$50, then I don't see why not...[/QUOTE]
I think people are more afraid to buy a shitty game

[quote name='GUNNM']I think people are more afraid to buy a shitty game[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. The last great RE game was 4 to be honest. Loved the hell out of that game even through I severely dislike shooters (Mass Effect series being a huge exception, although that's more of an RPG than anything).

Actually, as much as I disliked shooters I find myself playing them more now than ever before. Only the story driven ones such as the Uncharted series though.

I'd say it's more trendy to shred on capcom for it's dubious practice of rerelease by upgrades as new product, all the while the fans decry how they've been victimized by buying a partial product. To that I say....don't buy it. The core game IS there, and the argument about it being not the full release is bunk. It's a tweaked product with hope that people will double dip out of completist attitude or simply placing more product into shelves for a new customer to the brand.

[quote name='GUNNM']I think people are more afraid to buy a shitty game[/QUOTE]

[quote name='falcinator']I'd say it's more trendy to shred on capcom for it's dubious practice of rerelease by upgrades as new product, all the while the fans decry how they've been victimized by buying a partial product. To that I say....don't buy it. The core game IS there, and the argument about it being not the full release is bunk. It's a tweaked product with hope that people will double dip out of completist attitude or simply placing more product into shelves for a new customer to the brand.[/QUOTE]

Capcom has always been known to milk their franchises dating back to the 16 bit days, but back then their games were of top tier quality so people didn't bash them as much.

I'm actually interested in Raccoon City as a RE spinoff because it looks to be going for a Left 4 Dead type of experience but in third person. Slant Six had a perfectly competent game with Socom: Confrontation once the bugs were finally worked out, so assuming Capcom doesn't release a buggy product there might be hope for Raccoon City.

I rather see a full on shooter spin off for Resident Evil than the confused hybrid that RE5 was which couldn't make up its mind whether it was a shooter or a horror. Hopefully RE6 goes more in the survival horror direction.

[quote name='Daemonocracy']
I rather see a full on shooter spin off for Resident Evil than the confused hybrid that RE5 was which couldn't make up its mind whether it was a shooter or a horror. Hopefully RE6 goes more in the survival horror direction.[/QUOTE]
From the looks of the new trailer, no

[quote name='TooPoor']From the looks of the new trailer, no[/QUOTE]

It's not bad without the horror aspect. I like that the game takes place over different arcs and from the perspectives different people, unlike the last 2 games. And it's also good to see that events in Operation Raccoon City will not be canon.

[quote name='HakaHina']It's not bad without the horror aspect. I like that the game takes place over different arcs and from the perspectives different people, unlike the last 2 games. And it's also good to see that events in Operation Raccoon City will not be canon.[/QUOTE]
Agreed, I'm only saying that RE6 is not going back to survivor horror not bashing the initial details of RE6, I for one absolutely enjoyed RE5. Yes it's not horror but it was great fun.

Over the last year or two I have seen so much hate geared towards RE5. I mean I get it; it was a departure from the whole "survival horror" genre that everyone seems to adore but it was hands down the single best offline co-op game I've played this generation. I think I've played through it three seperate times with my girlfriend and a fourth time when they incorporated PS3 Move into the control schemes.

I really wish more games would have offline co-op--forced or not.

The Co-op should have been seperate from the campaign IMO.

Sure, it's fun if you have someone to play with, but if you want to play alone it makes the game a lot less fun than it should have been. Babysitting the 2nd character was annoying.

Im on the fence about this one. I just prepaid me3 and really dont want to have to games going at once. I also remember that in all likely hood capcom will release another edition of it with its intended content in a few more months.
Does this game even have an off-line mode?

I can't see paying 60 dollars for this when RE6 will be out before the end of the year for the same price. Yeah yeah, I know this is more run and gun team squad, but I could see this dropping in price a month after it comes out.

I'd say the special edition is worth it, even if you are paying the $69.99. IT has costume dlc, weapon dlc, 2 patches, and a steel book case. The steel book alone is worth the extra 10, and you can still get it for the same price as the regular, why would someone complain about this?

Also, just throwing out there, that the game is made by slant six, and if you dont know what that means then you haven't really played a tactical shooter have you? Their work mixed with this IP and the idea of 2 teams fighting while also surviving against monsters is a great and original idea. Of course they acquired the license for the resident evil franchise. Honestly, would you be interested more if it were new made up creatures?

[quote name='Slight Defect']I'd say the special edition is worth it, even if you are paying the $69.99. IT has costume dlc, weapon dlc, 2 patches, and a steel book case. The steel book alone is worth the extra 10, and you can still get it for the same price as the regular, why would someone complain about this? [/QUOTE]

People aren't complaining about the price compared to the regular edition, obviously there would be no reason to not get the special edition. People are saying that they are skeptical as to the game even being worth $50, or $40, or $30 given Capcom's history of putting out a product with tons of day one DLC, the game's price tanking in a couple months, and then Capcom re-releasing the game again with the DLC up to that point included...and more DLC on the way. If someone thinks the game is worth $20, then $60 for the special edition is no longer a good deal.

Also a blanket claim that a steelbook is worth $10 does not apply to a very, very large number of people. I think steelbooks are cool but I certainly do not collect them and wouldn't pay $10 per game to upgrade even if it was an option. The rest of the special edition stuff is straight trash, a couple patches and game content that they removed from the regular edition just so the special edition would look more appealing? That kind of DLC has exactly one use for me, and it consists of going on Ebay and selling it to the crazies that pay $15-30 for that kind of thing.

at this point I really only want the digital bonus content, and hoping it's not an early unlock and actually skins that can be purchased down the road as paid DLC (i.e. alt skins for UMvC3) like Capcom does...so I'll feel like preordering it was infact a bonus other than playing it on release. If I'm lucky I can sell/trade the other tangible swag or gift it to one of my RE buddies. The patch I might just keep because the UNSC patch I have from Halo Wars needs another friend.

my only gripe w/capcom has been put to rest and through CAG i was at least able to make up the loss between SFIV > SSFIV (less about price and release but the bonus content promise for saving your original copy) and MvC3 > UMvC3 (time frame between releases). I'm just more aware of what could happen w/Capcom for their fighting games and make my purchases accordingly. RE series seems different to me at least.

RE6 and Operation Raccoon City seems like 2 totally different types of games. So getting one in Feb? and the other in late Nov seems fine. Ppl buy RPGs and FPS all the time, this just happens to be the same company but showcasing different aspects of gameplay and timeline. The competitive cooperative aspect of RE:ORC (haha...zombies..orcs, nvm) looks like Horde/Beast/FF and PvP. I like the RE series I just could never get with the pause, aim, fire, back peddle...pause, aim, fire, repeat.

looks like fun...and if it turns out to be crap, don't open it and send it back.

[quote name='GBAstar']Over the last year or two I have seen so much hate geared towards RE5. I mean I get it; it was a departure from the whole "survival horror" genre that everyone seems to adore but it was hands down the single best offline co-op game I've played this generation. I think I've played through it three seperate times with my girlfriend and a fourth time when they incorporated PS3 Move into the control schemes.

I really wish more games would have offline co-op--forced or not.[/QUOTE]

My husband and I loved it too! We played it through several times as well. It was fantastic co-op play. I love games where the campaign is co-op, instead of just tacking on a few crappy co-op missions. :headache:

From what I've read, it seems the whole campaign for this one is going to be co-op too!

bread's done
Back