Resolved: I got some money back

michaema

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Almost 2 months ago my vehicle was damaged, hit and run at my apartment, and i chose to take it to a body shop that was owned by the dealership i purchased the vehicle from. The damage was on the extended cab door of my truck. They quoted me 4 days to fix the damage, and i filed under my Uninsured insurance with a $250 deductible.

After 2 weeks i get a call saying the vehicle is done and I leave work early to get it. When I arrived the vehicle still had 2 huge dents on the door, no big deal they can fix in a couple days.

One week later they call me to tell me it is done again. Now throughout the entire time they have been telling me my truck will be pristine condition, better than factory, etc. and they have checked the vehicle personally and the body is perfect. I go down and its a lot better but the dent is still there and obvious, not to mention the molding was now ruined as they had to reapply it.

So they said they will fix it again and the guy who estimated will do the work personally. So 3 weeks after this i get my final call saying it is ready and i go to pick it up and it is actually in great condition, so i took the car. They paid the rental for the last month. I asked them if they could return my deductible and they offered me an oil change.

Am I in the wrong for asking for the deductible back? I see it as compensation for the missed time from work(3 partial days total) and aggravation of having to tell them it is not repaired twice, its as if they have no quality control... Not to mention it has taken 6 weeks for a 4 day job.

Are you pursuing it or are you asking if what you did was okay? If you're pursuing, I believe you have a good argument, and think you should at least get something better than a cheap oil change.

I am pursuing it, I also want to get a consensus on if I have reason to ask for it back. I believe they should, but my view is a little one sided. BTW i called back the other day to speak to the director, and they told me he is willing to give me 3 oil changes for my trouble.

[quote name='rodeojones903']You will not get your deductible back. Be happy with the free oil changes.[/quote]

Well as far as money goes i think youre right. They only seem to deal in services to satisfy Customer Service concerns regarding compensation. I will still pursue it, it may just turn out to give me 5 oil changes. They value each oil change at $30.

You won't get your deductible back. That's between your insurance company and you.

If you took your truck to somewhere that has a "direct repair" relationship with your insurance company, I'd let them know what hassles you've had with dealing with them. May have them change their mind about that relationship. If you didn't take it somewhere where they have a "direct repair" relationship with them, I'd still let them know, so they don't recommend the place to anyone.

[quote name='shrike4242']You won't get your deductible back. That's between your insurance company and you.

If you took your truck to somewhere that has a "direct repair" relationship with your insurance company, I'd let them know what hassles you've had with dealing with them. May have them change their mind about that relationship. If you didn't take it somewhere where they have a "direct repair" relationship with them, I'd still let them know, so they don't recommend the place to anyone.[/quote]

They dont have a relationship with my insurance company, in fact my insurance company told me they are no longer one of their shops because they didnt meet up to their quality standards, which at the time i thought was BS. However i figured they could return my deductible and eat the cost since i paid the deductible directly to them.

Honestly, I feel they should pay me some portion back for some of the missed time from work. Its one thing if it was a 4 day job and it took a month and a half to complete the work, and another if they called me three times telling me it was ready, when it wasnt.

[quote name='michaema']They dont have a relationship with my insurance company, in fact my insurance company told me they are no longer one of their shops because they didnt meet up to their quality standards, which at the time i thought was BS. However i figured they could return my deductible and eat the cost since i paid the deductible directly to them.

Honestly, I feel they should pay me some portion back for some of the missed time from work. Its one thing if it was a 4 day job and it took a month and a half to complete the work, and another if they called me three times telling me it was ready, when it wasnt.[/quote]Did you pay your deductible directly to the repair place? If so, that's odd, and something my insurance company (Progressive) only does with places they have direct repair relationships with.

If you paid the deductible directly to the repair place, then you could work with them to get some/all of it back, though I can't think they'd budge much. The oil changes they're offering are their attempt to make good with you, though they're only good if you go back there to use them.

If you paid via CC, you could always try to dispute the charge with them and see if you'd get anywhere with it. As the repair place did the work, I can't see that ending up well, because it is a valid charge. Dickishly so, though it is a valid charge.

I'd speak to whomever owns the place, explain the situation and see what they're be willing to do.

You could try writing a letter to the owner of the place describing your experience and see if that gets you anything. If it were me I'd possibly take that step and then let that be the end of it.

I do not think you were unreasonable to ask for the deductible back. They did some stupid things. However, don't expect to get it back.

I am trying to deal with the director currently, but i was thinking about going to the owner if i can figure out who it is. The shop is actually owned by the dealership I bought my truck at or whoever owns the dealership owns the shop. I may have luck as they are insane about customer satsifaction at the dealership. Not to mention i bought my current truck and previous truck from them. I just need to figure out who to send the letter too. I may try my salesman and see if he can point me in the right direction. That is if I have no luck with the director of the shop.

BTW I have progressive as well and when i have made claims in the past, they have always paid the shop the amount of the estimate minus my deductible, and it is up to me to pay the rest. The difference could be a regional thing.

I could see that working. Be sure to mention you've bought your past two trucks there. Guy could easily decide it's worth $250 to help insure you'll be back for 3 in a row. Not a sure thing of course.

Well i finally got a resolution. After discussing with the director and telling him about the 3 times i took off from work to go down there, and the two vehicles i bought from them. They agreed to give me a fill up(gas) and an oil change. After he discussed with his manager about how to give me these services he was told to just give me a check for the general cost of the services $130. I have the check in hand and am generally satisified with the resolution, at least its better than 3 oil changes... :)

bread's done
Back