Resonance of Fate

I thought about making this thread, but decided not to... I am looking forward to the game for sure. Not much of a FF fan, so this is pretty high on my list to get a JRPG fix. I wish there were more impressions/reviews floating around.

[quote name='IRHari']Heard its awful. Not a buy.[/QUOTE]

Help us out and provide a source... I have heard just the opposite from many websites (like RPG Fan).

Isn't there a demo on the JP PSN store? I believe I downloaded it months ago but never touched it. I might be wrong or confusing games, so pardon me in advance if so.

On topic, RoF looks nice at least on the pics I've seen. Must see some reviews though.

yeah this and Yakuza 3 are my two buys for March XD Ima pick ffXIII later when it's cheaper or smthg!!

I'm really excited for RoF!!!!! game looks kickass!!

I wanted to play the demo a little while ago, but apparently the JPN PSN Store takes down some games when they're released. Definitely looking forward to this

[quote name='nightmare452']Isn't there a demo on the JP PSN store? I believe I downloaded it months ago but never touched it. I might be wrong or confusing games, so pardon me in advance if so.

On topic, RoF looks nice at least on the pics I've seen. Must see some reviews though.[/QUOTE]

Yea I played it. It is very much the next Parasite eve which I enjoy. :bouncy:

fuck YEAH!!! Excuse my excitement but Im glad someone made this thread. Like Saint Noir, I thought about making it several times but for me its always while Im at work and cant get the links to greate a proper thread.

I am really excited for this game. I have also decided to hold off on FFXIII, to pick up Yakuza 3 and this title.

There is a demo on the Japanese PSN, as well as some videos explaining the game. If you download the demo, be sure to play on normal difficulty. When you watch the videos you will see you have some decent variety to your attack options, but when playing the demo on easy, these items are locked and you can only do the basic run/jump/shoot attack.

Im most excited for the character and weapon customization along with the whole steampunk aesthetic. Also, if you havent seen some of the trailers, the method of progression is unique in that you uncover the map and unlock new areas utilizng an almost "puzzle" technique.

Anyways, it is good to hear others are excited about this title.

I don't think it will be bad but to be honest it looks like it will be another case of JRPG disappointment that's been so common this gen.

Unless you really enjoy all the new console JRPGs that have been coming out -- then you'll probably have a blast with this.

I played the demo. It seemed very complicated even if there wasn't the whole language barrier.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I don't think it will be bad but to be honest it looks like it will be another case of JRPG disappointment that's been so common this gen.

Unless you really enjoy all the new console JRPGs that have been coming out -- then you'll probably have a blast with this.[/QUOTE]

I know where you're coming from... but I have some hopes for this as the combat seems so different and near unclassifiable... on the downside, I will have to wait to grab this. I was getting it instead of FF XIII. The wife vetoed that as she wants to play FF XIII. :lol:

I think this game looks pretty promising, and I think I will love the battle system judging by the reviews I've read.

I've got metro 2033 preordered at GS, I think I'll switch it over to this

I'm interested but I think I can hold out a few months while it spirals down in price due to Sega releasing it at a horrible time.

Sega really is the absolute worst when it comes to picking release dates.

I'm completely at odds on whether to pick this up or FFXIII. I really really would prefer picking this up but I start my job on the 15th so if I get FFXIII I have a whole week of solid play time with it whereas if I wait a week to get this instead I won't have much time to get to it.

Has anyone gotten a shipment notice or picked this up yet?

Ive been reading some of the reviews and watched a couple gameplay videos last night and I am really excited for this title. I am hoping that some of the negative criticisms of FFXIII, will drive some people towards this title as it has a lot of the items supposedly missing from FFXIII (towns, side-missions). Maybe theyll pick up some of those customers who have already completed FFXIII and are trading in while values are still high.

I ordered from Amazon, but didnt pay for release date shipping, so I imagine it will be a day or two before I hear anything.

[quote name='animalspinners']http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/resonance-of-fate-review

Eurogamer seemed to have liked it, and they are usually harder on games than most reviewers. Pretty in depth look at the game as well.[/QUOTE]

Eurogamer writers are more concerned with how smart their writing sounds as opposed to giving reviews for consumers.

I'm sure the game is just fine though, if it looks interesting to you don't let a review tell you otherwise.

i couldn't figure out what the hell they wanted me to do in order to perform a tri-attack in the tutorial. I got frustrated and gave up on the game.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']i couldn't figure out what the hell they wanted me to do in order to perform a tri-attack in the tutorial. I got frustrated and gave up on the game.[/QUOTE]

If I rememeber correctly, in the Japanese demo, if you had it on the easier difficulty, you couldnt perform tri-attacks. I dont have my copy yet, so I cant verify this is the case, but it may be something to check.

Mines coming in the mail. Amazon just shipped with a delivery estimate of the 22nd, but based on past experience it may be here as early as Saturday.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Guys, let me know how the localization is. Sands of Destruction's was pretty bad and I'm worried about this game. fucking Sega.[/QUOTE]
There are Japanese audio tracks on this game, not sure about the english track tho since i didn't bother to use them and opted for the original voice instead

[quote name='kurrptsenate']i couldn't figure out what the hell they wanted me to do in order to perform a tri-attack in the tutorial. I got frustrated and gave up on the game.[/QUOTE]
You gotta run between the characters using hero charge and u build up ur resonance that way, the more you build it up the more attacks you get. then you can use ur tri-attack. once you get ur tri-attack u hit triangle to execute and square to start it up

[quote name='vithang']There are Japanese audio tracks on this game, not sure about the english track tho since i didn't bother to use them and opted for the original voice instead
[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about the script, not the voices.

I played the game for about 45 minutes, stumbled around in the arena and then turned it off. I just could not figure out what I was supposed to do and how I was supposed to do it. OH well.
Some people will like it, it is a new take on turn based JRPG's and the customizing guns seemed like it could be cool later on in the game.

[quote name='i_bent_my_wookie']I played the game for about 45 minutes, stumbled around in the arena and then turned it off. I just could not figure out what I was supposed to do and how I was supposed to do it. OH well.
Some people will like it, it is a new take on turn based JRPG's and the customizing guns seemed like it could be cool later on in the game.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way when I first started playing it. As I got comfortable with the basic tactics I was able to enjoy it more. You will die. However, with each death you learn what to do and what not to do.

This is the first JRPG I've played in probably 10 years and so far I'm having a blast.

[quote name='vithang']There are Japanese audio tracks on this game, not sure about the english track tho since i didn't bother to use them and opted for the original voice instead

You gotta run between the characters using hero charge and u build up ur resonance that way, the more you build it up the more attacks you get. then you can use ur tri-attack. once you get ur tri-attack u hit triangle to execute and square to start it up[/QUOTE]

based on this, im led to believe i didnt get enough charge (probably at least 3)

I consider myself a smart person. I read the description about 7 times, and even pulled out the book and read it 3 times. I got the run between the characters part, and I did something that I thought was an attack, but perhaps not all 3 people were attacking.

Have to try it again in the near future. The one battle I was in that I died, then completed seemed WAY more enjoyable than the 4 hours I spent trying out FFXIII lol

[quote name='kurrptsenate']

I consider myself a smart person. I read the description about 7 times, and even pulled out the book and read it 3 times. I got the run between the characters part, and I did something that I thought was an attack, but perhaps not all 3 people were attacking.

Have to try it again in the near future. The one battle I was in that I died, then completed seemed WAY more enjoyable than the 4 hours I spent trying out FFXIII lol[/QUOTE]

Some of the tutorials are a bit too brief. I managed to pass all of them, but I still dont think I 100% know how to execute a tri-attack. I have hit triangle and executed something that looks like a tri-attack and depletes my resonance points, but since I havent received the trophy I dont know if I actually did complete it.

I have to say I love a lot about this game, but the difficulty makes it a real love-hate relationship. I walked into the chapter 1 boss at only level 4 and it took me about 8 tries to be victorious. It seems like mastering this battle system is going to take awhile.

My friend has this and when he also reached the first boss he got his butt handed to him. As you progress you must keep improving your strategies it seems. I'll try to pick it up soon, seems like I'll have fun with it.

I think what I like the most about this game is that even the grinding keeps the game fresh. Even if you have a few levels on your enemies, if you get careless, you can still lose. Its nice because it makes the grinding seem a lot less like grinding.

I just got this game. It seems like fun, but very complicated. I'll try to pass Yakuza and BFBC2 before I start playing this just so I can give it my full attention.

Once you start playing through, after you have completed three or four chapters, you should take a look at your trophy listing. The way they did the chapter trophies is really cool.

This is one of the few JRPG's I'm planning on getting this year, and to gauge my interest in it, I was way more interested in this than FF XIII, so what's that tell ya.

I died a few times in the demo, but it was always because I was screwing up how I was going about attacking the enemies, plus you have to use the game field to your advantage while playing otherwise you'll get hit cheaply from the enemy.

I'm looking forward to getting it, when it comes down to the sub-$30 price range (since I almost never buy anything higher than that, with rare exceptions) if money wasn't an issue, I'd probably own it right now, that's how much I thought of it based on my time with the demo.

And I don't say that very often.

Just read the reviews posted, and I think IGN and 1up are fully off the mark, the 1up guy even slagged the music, something EG thought was one of it's best features (as did I)

And as far as their moaning about the learning curve and difficulty level, if I never took the time to learn certain JRPG's intricacies I would have never bothered to play, enjoy and love some of my favorite RPG's such as FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Shadow Hearts, Valkyrie Profile 1/2 (one of Tri-Ace's own) and Parasite Eve just to name a few that tried something different and succeeded brilliantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually decided just to start playing the game anyways, but oh boy is the battle system going to take some time to understand. It took me a while to pass all the tutorial just because they didn't really explain how everything works. They would tell you what the move did and expect you to be able to pull it off. I still don't understand how attacking works. I'll try to do a normal attack and I run out of energy or something before I can perform it and get attack instead. Also I don't understand the purpose of tri-attacks since I have to waste turns just running between characters to then perform the tri attack. It seems so far at least you just do an Hero move and that's all you need to know. I really want to like this game, but they need to really explain the battle system much better then they have done.

I only did the tutorial there. I didn't have any freezing problems there nor anywhere else in the game.

I've gotten to understand the battle system much better. I like it, it's fun and different. I just wish they actually explained some of the stuff better otherwise I'm having a blast with the game now.

[quote name='Thongsy']I only did the tutorial there. I didn't have any freezing problems there nor anywhere else in the game.

I've gotten to understand the battle system much better. I like it, it's fun and different. I just wish they actually explained some of the stuff better otherwise I'm having a blast with the game now.[/QUOTE]

I havent had any freezing in the arena and I have gold starred all the way up to level 4.

I am about 16 hours in and on chapter 5. The more I play with the battle system the more I fall in love with it. Once you get a few more bezels (I currently have 5) it really opens up opportunities for strategy.

[quote name='animalspinners']I'm interested but I think I can hold out a few months while it spirals down in price due to Sega releasing it at a horrible time.

Sega really is the absolute worst when it comes to picking release dates.[/QUOTE]

Looks like I was right (except it only took one month).

The game is currently $37.99 at K-Mart if you have one nearby (and missed the thread in the deals forum).

Now that I'm 100% done with FF 13, I picked up a copy of RoF and am eager to try it out.

bread's done
Back