Resonance of Fate

[quote name='animalspinners']Looks like I was right (except it only took one month).

The game is currently $37.99 at K-Mart if you have one nearby (and missed the thread in the deals forum).

Now that I'm 100% done with FF 13, I picked up a copy of RoF and am eager to try it out.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to wait till it hits the sub-$30 range. I've only bought a select handful of games over $30 (Demon's Souls ($35 one month after release bought it from the CAG marketplace), R&C ACiT (also from another cag, 3 weeks after release for $32) Time Crisis 4 w/Guncon, Afrika.

I think those were all of the one's with that distinction, and other than R&C they were rare, were sought after thus keeping used prices up, or a lot less common to find than other games.

So I think RoF will come down to a decent price under $30 soon, but I doubt we'll see sub-$20 for quite a while if Eternal Sonata and Star Ocean 4 are any indication, it might be awhile, unless Amazon or someone does a DotD or there's a nice B1/2G1 sale and it's at a reasonable price then.

You were an accountant. Surely you could afford a $200 investment for your eyes. @_@

Like uncle, I'm gonna wait till it gets below $30 before trying it out.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']You were an accountant. Surely you could afford a $200 investment for your eyes. @_@

Like uncle, I'm gonna wait till it gets below $30 before trying it out.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, most of the games I play are NOT HD (ie old-school games) so this is a rare problem for me. I have seen smaller text in HD games before (Enchanted Lulz for example), but never as small as some of the text in this game. In the tutorial, there was some text that was literally impossible to read. This is the first game I've played that actually has a serious problem with the text size for me. Other games have had small text, but it's been bearable. This goes too far. Plus the white on a light brown background during the tutorial is atrocious no matter what the size text.

[quote name='sinkingships']I'm about 4 hours in. I'm not completely lost anymore but I don't think i'm very good at playing..[/QUOTE]

I'm about 3 hours in and I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't fully grasped the fighting mechanics, but I'm getting there!

I still have no clue what the hell happens during tri-attacks... I just mash the X button but I should probably wait for the attack to charge up fully for the full amount of damage.

[quote name='pram12']Has anyone finished the game? Reviews say its just battle after battle towards the end and that it gets pretty boring.[/QUOTE]

I am about 50 hours in and at the tail end of chapter 13 and I have yet to get bored. I suppose you could describe the dungeons as "battle after battle" but I dont think it s a bad thing. The game throws a few curves by forcing you into some situations where you cant use the same tactics as the beginning of the game. I really like that the game has started reusing some of the earlier boss characters (with different power sets, different terrain and with different teams) into the mix to make the latter dungeons really challenging.

I would disagree with the grinding comments as I have yet to grind. I have only starred the first five tiers of the arena, albeit I have been doing all the side missions. I think if you check online, youll find that the issue may be more tactical than level. The levels dont really add much in terms of skills or HP for that matter, so if you get stuck rarely will an extra few levels help out. If you do a quick search for "how to beat the level one boss", youll find strategies that only require the characters to be level three/four and some that insist they need to be level eleven/twelve, the difference between the two being tactical.

Also, if anyone is still confused, I would suggest downloading the tutorial video from the JP store. It goes a long way to illustrating the mechanics that are poorly explained in the game's manual and playable tutorial.

I just thought I'd post a couple of tips on how to pass the tutorials and how to do a tri-attack since they're lacking any reasonable explanation.

Tri Attack uses the resonance points you have stored up for each charge on a weapon. Charge up 1 point, hit triangle, get the orange/red triangle markers and hit square. When the gauge is full hit X or just let it go through the motion. Make sure your characters have enough spacing that they don't run into each other, as that will stop the tri attack.

Hero actions are the John Woo crack I've needed. Hit Square, aim it across the map through the middle of enemies and you can either run across while firing or if you hit square once the run has started, you can jump and fire in the air down at enemies. Benefit to firing down is you'll hit body parts and the main body, good if you're racking up scratch damage.

For Smackdowns you'll need to use a hero action, at least I was unable to do it any other way. Start off running, shoot the enemy in the air and then hit Square to jump, while in the air and you in the air, shoot them again to get a Smackdown.

Bodyparts make for good farming, easiest way to do it is light them up with Scratch damage with a hero action jump attack and then face that body part and hit it with direct damage. Chances are you'll finish off the enemy and get the body part kill as well for the extra drop. You can only get certain items by killing off body parts, like Machinegun MS scraps from the Machinegunner machines at the power plant or meats from Gremlins/Brownies. Later enemies defend your shots with their body parts, so do lots of scratch damage to make your life easier.

It's unusually hard to lock on to a particular enemy during hero actions. This has led to numerous wasted hero actions as my guy is twirling in midair desperately cycling through the wrong enemies.

I think I'm going to shelve this game for a bit. Ever since joining CAG, my patience with games have shortened to the point that I rarely finish anymore, and I will always have more games waiting to be played. Ah... the gift and the curse of this website.

This game could use some polishing, however, its still a fun game. I tend to put the game down before I get overly frustrate and then I come back to it.

My husband and I are wondering why the hell the enemy can move and attack during the player's turn but we can't do the same thing to them. Broken as hell.

I'm having a lil bit of trouble keeping the idol alive in chapter 4, I've got two level 13/11 handgun users and one L15/13 MG user. I'm half wondering if I should just make some money selling scopes, buy some guns and try again. Anybody have any advice? Half wondering if I should be using grenades at that too.

Everyone who I've talked to who has played this game has ended up putting it down at some point and not finishing. I had trouble with the statue part too. I had to retry about 5 times and just got lucky. I didn't use grenades on that one because I was afraid of splash since my statue was so low when i got to boss. The successful attempt ended on the second turn. I just built up a lot of scratch on first turn and got good position for a tri attack and controlled Zephyr so that he would go first, charged guage, jumped, and let loose. That ended up being enough to kill him. I think I was lucky that all/most of my damage went to his main body.

[quote name='Dead of Knight'] Broken as hell.[/QUOTE]

sega_qjpreviewth.jpg

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I am about 50 hours in and at the tail end of chapter 13 and I have yet to get bored. I suppose you could describe the dungeons as "battle after battle" but I dont think it s a bad thing. The game throws a few curves by forcing you into some situations where you cant use the same tactics as the beginning of the game. I really like that the game has started reusing some of the earlier boss characters (with different power sets, different terrain and with different teams) into the mix to make the latter dungeons really challenging.

I would disagree with the grinding comments as I have yet to grind. I have only starred the first five tiers of the arena, albeit I have been doing all the side missions. I think if you check online, youll find that the issue may be more tactical than level. The levels dont really add much in terms of skills or HP for that matter, so if you get stuck rarely will an extra few levels help out. If you do a quick search for "how to beat the level one boss", youll find strategies that only require the characters to be level three/four and some that insist they need to be level eleven/twelve, the difference between the two being tactical.

Also, if anyone is still confused, I would suggest downloading the tutorial video from the JP store. It goes a long way to illustrating the mechanics that are poorly explained in the game's manual and playable tutorial.[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks for the overview. I did try out the JP demo when it first came out and I wasn't too blown away (I guess it was because I didn't understand a single thing... though I did play through it twice).

I know this isn't really the place to ask, but if anybody wants to offload their copy at a "reasonable" price I'll be more than happy to take it off their hands, as I really enjoyed the demo (and most of Tri-Ace's more inventive titles). Oh...and reasonable to me is under $30 shipped. ;) PM me if your one of those folks.

The game is sort of oddly designed, I didn't realize that your levels were tied into your weapon levels. Gain a level with machine gun and you go up 1 level, gain a level with a handgun and you go up one. I've jumped 3 levels grenading things for the first time, so it definitely offers alternatives to straight up grinding early on. The extra padding from the additional levels should make life a little easier in the beginning if you have issues with going critical because you're losing too much HP. I like the approach to leveling, it makes me want to finish the game now more than before because of that and it really does require more tactical skill in battles later on.

It's not a forgiving game, if you screw up, it will make you pay for it but with there being no disclaimer, I think some of the "softer" gamers will enter into this game with lots and lots of frustrations. When I jumped into the battle with the Bridal Dwellest I got my ass kicked 3 times before the Full Scratch damage skill kicked in for the easy win to a fight that just pummeled me. It's not as brutal as Demons Souls but it's not as forgiving either since you can only retry based on how much money you have left and retrying with full HP and hero gauge costs like 50k rubies.

For the idol mission, you can have on character stand in front of the statue. This will prevent the statue from moving too far into the arena where it is vulnerable. My other recommendation would be to prioritize the enemies as not all of them have ranged attacks.

If you want to make it really easy on yourself, do a "restart with full hero gauge" instead of the normal "retry", as this will refill the idol's health and maintain your progress.

Also, dont worry if you get to the boss with very little health. The boss rarely targets the idol and can be finished off fairly quickly.

The in game tutorial sucks. I couldnt figure out how to do a smack down, tri attack, or bonus attack, it took a few tries. :/

How do you inflict "scratch damage" and how do characters recover from critical condition?

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']The in game tutorial sucks. I couldnt figure out how to do a smack down, tri attack, or bonus attack, it took a few tries. :/

How do you inflict "scratch damage" and how do characters recover from critical condition?[/QUOTE]

Scratch damage is mainly inflicted by the machine guns. Some of the grenades will cause it as well, such as the molotov cocktails or poison grenades. Scratch damage shows up as blue on the health bars. It gradually recovers unless the character/enemy is hit with normal damage, which then converts all scratch damage to normal as well.

In order to recover from critical condition a few things need to happen. First, you need to make sure you have bezel shards. When youre in critical condition, these will be scattered about the battlefield and look like glowing crystals. You need to make sure you have at least one bezel on the gauge at the bottom of the screen not greyed out. Once that is done, you need to recover the Bezel and this is done by either killing an enemy, destroying a piece of their armor or gauge breaking. It is extremely difficult to recover, particularly early in the game when you only have a few bezels. The best bet for recovering is to use a pistolier, as their attacks wipe out armor fairly quickly and can inflict gauge breaks.

Also, for anybody who is just starting the game:
To do a bonus shot you need to do a hero run, while keeping your character on the ground. The key is to get the enemy airborne (with SMGs this tends to mean mid-length charges while pistols its short-length), then repeatedly do short-charged attacks to get the bonus gauge to show up. The higher the enemy is, the larger the bonus area of the bonus gauge will be and thus the easier it will be to get a bonus attack.

To do a smackdown, its best to start out by doing a hero run while keeping your character on the ground. Then, just like with the bonus shot, attack the enemy to get it airborne. As soon as the enemy is airborne, make your character jump and then repeatedly do short-charged attacks. Smackdowns work best when running directly through the enemy, so that when you jump and attack, you are pushing them straight into the ground.

Tri-attacks simply require the build up of resonance points, by always having your active character complete their hero attacks by running through the imaginary line drawn between your two other characters. Any time you have resonance points, all you have to do is hit triangle and you can perform a tri-attack. Hitting triangle again will reverse the direction the characters will run, while completing the tri attack. Hitting L1 or R1 will change who leads the triangle attack. Both options affect the ordering, which you can see on the character status cards in the bottom right of the screen, denoted by the numbers 1,2 and 3. Generally, you want to lead your tri attack with your scratchers (machine gunners).

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Scratch damage is mainly inflicted by the machine guns. Some of the grenades will cause it as well, such as the molotov cocktails or poison grenades. Scratch damage shows up as blue on the health bars. It gradually recovers unless the character/enemy is hit with normal damage, which then converts all scratch damage to normal as well.

In order to recover from critical condition a few things need to happen. First, you need to make sure you have bezel shards. When youre in critical condition, these will be scattered about the battlefield and look like glowing crystals. You need to make sure you have at least one bezel on the gauge at the bottom of the screen not greyed out. Once that is done, you need to recover the Bezel and this is done by either killing an enemy, destroying a piece of their armor or gauge breaking. It is extremely difficult to recover, particularly early in the game when you only have a few bezels. The best bet for recovering is to use a pistolier, as their attacks wipe out armor fairly quickly and can inflict gauge breaks.

Also, for anybody who is just starting the game:
To do a bonus shot you need to do a hero run, while keeping your character on the ground. The key is to get the enemy airborne (with SMGs this tends to mean mid-length charges while pistols its short-length), then repeatedly do short-charged attacks to get the bonus gauge to show up. The higher the enemy is, the larger the bonus area of the bonus gauge will be and thus the easier it will be to get a bonus attack.

To do a smackdown, its best to start out by doing a hero run while keeping your character on the ground. Then, just like with the bonus shot, attack the enemy to get it airborne. As soon as the enemy is airborne, make your character jump and then repeatedly do short-charged attacks. Smackdowns work best when running directly through the enemy, so that when you jump and attack, you are pushing them straight into the ground.

Tri-attacks simply require the build up of resonance points, by always having your active character complete their hero attacks by running through the imaginary line drawn between your two other characters. Any time you have resonance points, all you have to do is hit triangle and you can perform a tri-attack. Hitting triangle again will reverse the direction the characters will run, while completing the tri attack. Hitting L1 or R1 will change who leads the triangle attack. Both options affect the ordering, which you can see on the character status cards in the bottom right of the screen, denoted by the numbers 1,2 and 3. Generally, you want to lead your tri attack with your scratchers (machine gunners).[/QUOTE]Thank you very much. :)

NP. Personally, I loved this game. I had never played an RPG for more than 40 hours before I played this and I ended up putting in 100+ before I loaned it to a friend.

My other advice would be anytime you get stuck, try changing tactics instead of grinding. Ive seen a lot of people complain about grinding in this game, but the levels make very little difference in your characters. Most of the really difficult battles require a real shift in tactics.

I'd say rotate weapons too, let everybody have a turn with the machine gun and/or grenades. It's really easy to get a few levels with little to no effort if you've been neglecting rotating stuff. Absolutely fun game to play pistolero with.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']NP. Personally, I loved this game. I had never played an RPG for more than 40 hours before I played this and I ended up putting in 100+ before I loaned it to a friend.

My other advice would be anytime you get stuck, try changing tactics instead of grinding. Ive seen a lot of people complain about grinding in this game, but the levels make very little difference in your characters. Most of the really difficult battles require a real shift in tactics.[/QUOTE]

I personally didn't grind at all until (I think?) Chapter 14. I was quite underleveled at that point and didn't have enough HP, but while leveling up a bit I did master a few new tactics. Without acquiring those new strategies, I doubt I would have been able to progress even with the levels I grinded out.

So yeah, I don't know why anyone complains about grinding in this game. It's quick and easy (usually one weapon is very underleveled), and it's usually strategy that needs to change.

I loved this game, if I wasn't so busy I'd be playing through it again to try to do everything this time.

Game is fun, nearing end of chapter 13 with 45 hours in. Tri attacks are worthless to me. They're too cubersome to setup, and if you screw up, you've wasted a lot of hero points and risk getting into a critical condition.

Never saw the point of smackdowns either, the launch attacks seem to give you much more items and easier to do more damage as well.

[quote name='daschrier']Game is fun, nearing end of chapter 13 with 45 hours in. Tri attacks are worthless to me. They're too cubersome to setup, and if you screw up, you've wasted a lot of hero points and risk getting into a critical condition.

Never saw the point of smackdowns either, the launch attacks seem to give you much more items and easier to do more damage as well.[/QUOTE]

I generally used tri-attacks to buy time. Since you heal while running, getting a 3 or 4 tri-attack can usually refill your gauage most of the way. Sometimes, its just an easy way to finish off a lot of enemies quickly, particularly as you get multiple scratchers double wielding. I think the only times I really used them out of necessity, were in Neverland and some of the later bosses and arenas, where enemies can refill scratch quickly the gold blob and
the Neverland battle with
Pater

Man, just talking about it has me missing this game. I was really hoping Tri-Ace would do some DLC dungeons or something. Heck, I wouldve even bought those themes they put on the JPN PSN or even some costume sets.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I generally used tri-attacks to buy time. Since you heal while running, getting a 3 or 4 tri-attack can usually refill your gauage most of the way. Sometimes, its just an easy way to finish off a lot of enemies quickly, particularly as you get multiple scratchers double wielding. I think the only times I really used them out of necessity, were in Neverland and some of the later bosses and arenas, where enemies can refill scratch quickly the gold blob and
the Neverland battle with
Pater

Man, just talking about it has me missing this game. I was really hoping Tri-Ace would do some DLC dungeons or something. Heck, I wouldve even bought those themes they put on the JPN PSN or even some costume sets.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you have stated I absolutely love it but my PS3 freezes the crap out of this game.

This game just got really fun now that I'm not dying all the fucking time. :D I like how the costumes implemented into the cutscenes and battles. I'm dressing them in the fugliest outfits just for shits and giggles.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']This game just got really fun now that I'm not dying all the fucking time. :D I like how the costumes implemented into the cutscenes and battles. I'm dressing them in the fugliest outfits just for shits and giggles.[/QUOTE]

Im glad to hear that. Once you get over that "dying all the time" hump, the game really opens up.

You get some really great "A" costumes towards the end of the game and if you go all the way through Neverland you unlock a whole set of "C" costumes which are incredibly creepy. My personal favorite are the "Paragon" costumes because dressing all the characters in it gives you a new victory cinematics.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']Just got plat today! The arena almost drove me insane. :drool:[/QUOTE]
yep that was the last trophy I needed got plat a week or so ago. Good game but the arena was mind numbing.

I agree. If I had known ahead of time, I would have just been doing ti gradually as I progressed through the story.

My last trophy was actually the one for killing yourself. I thought it was pretty difficult since I was a pretty high level by the time I read about it.

I just bought this a couple of days ago but I haven't even started it yet because I'm not finished Dragon Quest The Journey of the Cursed King. Looking forward to it though!

bread's done
Back