Results to a survey on game piracy I did...

dark2025

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I compiled the results of a recent game piracy survey I did on a very large site devoted to warez and wrote up a small report. It's a pretty tiny sample size, but it just seemed nobody wanted to help me with it (I guess everyone's too cautious around there to click on links like that... understandable though I guess).

It's definitely not a formal survey, so don't look into the results too much. I did my best to get rid of the incomplete/spoiled entries, but there could have been more I didn't catch. That and added with the sample size issue, I'd say the results are pretty unreliable. Still, it was pretty fun and interesting to do.

Here it is:

A majority of the participants are unemployed (students or otherwise), accounting for 72% of the results. This corresponds with the fact that 80% of them are in the 14 to 25 age range (43% overall are aged 19-25). 87% earn fewer than $30,000 per annum, with the majority of them not having any income at all.

As for game purchasing behaviours, the average participant was estimated to have bought 1.09 games in the past 30 days at around $32 per game. However, 54% did not buy at all. For the game pirating behaviours, an estimated average of 3.54 games was pirated per participant in the past 30 days. For every game pirated, 0.13 of them (estimated) would have been purchased if piracy was unavailable.

Furthermore, 57% of the participants have a paid membership for any of the various file-sharing sites. This suggests that the individuals are willing to pay to pirate, but perhaps not willing to pay full-price for games. In fact, this is stressed several times in some comments made by a few participants – games are too expensive, and that it’s also difficult to know if they’d be getting the full value out of a game that may cost up to $60-70 US. 58% also said that they would buy MORE games if they had a larger budget, which again, may be equivalent to saying that they would purchase more games if they had the same budget, but cheaper games. For another question, a third replied that they were looking forward to the Steam holiday sales, with 23% responding that they would not purchase games even with price-reductions.

Other comments include:
- Only buy console games.
- Use pirated games as demos.
- It’s free!
- Much more willing to pay for online games while pirating single player games.
- Buy indie games; don’t agree with the greediness and policies of many major developers/publishers.

In conclusion, a great percentage of individuals who pirate video games do purchase, but perhaps not willing to pay so much since most of them do not have too much disposable income. The $32 average for games spent by these participants show that when games are $60 to $70, they may prove to be too pricey for most of these people. So why do people pirate? In my opinion they’re young, poor, and games are too expensive. It may be easy to say “if you can’t afford it, then don’t play it,” but considering the average age of these participants, not playing video games would be a VERY tough thing to do, especially if the means to do it is right in front of them. Not that they're right in doing that, but it's somewhat understandable.

[quote name='speedracer']The 57% that have a paid membership to torrent sites is crazy to me.[/QUOTE]
Could be private torrent sites, or Usenet, but it's very likely that most of those memberships are for sites like Rapidshare or Hotfile.

[quote name='dark2025']Could be private torrent sites, or Usenet, but it's very likely that most of those memberships are for sites like Rapidshare or Hotfile.[/QUOTE]

I would bet thats the case. $10 a month for near maxed out speeds on something that is impossible to get caught on isn't that crazy considering how much time most pirates sink into their hobby.

yeah, private sites tend to mitigate risk. I wouldn't think of it as paying for the product, but, rather, putting up a secure barrier around your actions.

[quote name='mykevermin']yeah, private sites tend to mitigate risk. I wouldn't think of it as paying for the product, but, rather, putting up a secure barrier around your actions.[/QUOTE]

Well, I was talking about Usenet and downloader site like Rapidshare/Megaupload/Hotfile/Netload/etc. Both of those provide insane download speeds (I remember hitting 1.5 MB/s on Megaupload awhile back) with no real way to get caught.

I've never really heard of a torrent site where you have to pay to join or stay a member. Most private sites are about who you know more than anything else.

[quote name='Sporadic']Well, I was talking about Usenet and downloader site like Rapidshare/Megaupload/Hotfile/Netload/etc. Both of those provide insane download speeds (I remember hitting 1.5 MB/s on Megaupload awhile back) with no real way to get caught.

I've never really heard of a torrent site where you have to pay to join or stay a member. Most private sites are about who you know more than anything else.[/QUOTE]

Man, if 1.5Mb/s is insane to you, you should see some of the speeds I get. Depending on which building I'm at on campus, it's not uncommon for me to get 5Mb/s per file, while downloading 4 files at once. :lol:

[quote name='Access_Denied']Man, if 1.5Mb/s is insane to you, you should see some of the speeds I get. Depending on which building I'm at on campus, it's not uncommon for me to get 5Mb/s per file, while downloading 4 files at once. :lol:[/QUOTE]

That's crazy college speed. I was talking about home connections (which yeah 1.5 blew my mind...that basically a hd movie rip in about 20-30 minutes)

I love the notion of "I wont pay, but I'll certainly pay not to pay". What kind of dickhead do you have to be to come up with that logic?

[quote name='Sporadic']Well, I was talking about Usenet and downloader site like Rapidshare/Megaupload/Hotfile/Netload/etc. Both of those provide insane download speeds (I remember hitting 1.5 MB/s on Megaupload awhile back) with no real way to get caught.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. I guess that we should ask the OP: What sites did you consider "file-sharing sites" w/r/t the % of your sample who paid for them?

The high unemployment/low income measure is understandable. Mostly college students and a smattering of recent graduates, I suspect.

[quote name='Sporadic']That's crazy college speed. I was talking about home connections (which yeah 1.5 blew my mind...that basically a hd movie rip in about 20-30 minutes)[/QUOTE]
I've gotten close to 2 with my 18mbit DSL.:):cool:

[quote name='nasum']I love the notion of "I wont pay, but I'll certainly pay not to pay". What kind of dickhead do you have to be to come up with that logic?[/QUOTE]
Cause $15 a month is nothing compared to how much all that ill gotten booty would have cost?

[quote name='nasum']I love the notion of "I wont pay, but I'll certainly pay not to pay". What kind of dickhead do you have to be to come up with that logic?[/QUOTE]

1/6th the price of one game brand new for basically whatever they want in a month's span.

Think Netflix or a Zune pass but you get to "keep" whatever you download after the month is over.

It's part crime and instant gratification, speed. but I'm also convinced there's a hobbyist approach as well.

That is to say would-be pirates are excited by new consoles and new DRM that they have to crack. There's a certain satisfaction from learning and performing (successfully) the techniques necessary to play games for free. I don't think that's the fundamental drive or the strongest predictor by any stretch, but it's certainly something to consider. They enjoy the challenge more than, say, playing a game for free or fucking over developers and publishers.

Just a theory on my part.

[quote name='mykevermin']It's part crime and instant gratification, speed. but I'm also convinced there's a hobbyist approach as well.

That is to say would-be pirates are excited by new consoles and new DRM that they have to crack. There's a certain satisfaction from learning and performing (successfully) the techniques necessary to play games for free. I don't think that's the fundamental drive or the strongest predictor by any stretch, but it's certainly something to consider. They enjoy the challenge more than, say, playing a game for free or fucking over developers and publishers.

Just a theory on my part.[/QUOTE]

thats a tiny tiny percentage or pirates though.

[quote name='nasum']whatever, it's still stealing even if you have to pay for the privilege up front.[/QUOTE]

whatever, they don't care and never will

[quote name='mykevermin']It's part crime and instant gratification, speed. but I'm also convinced there's a hobbyist approach as well.

lol

Because this is CAG, I keep my leet haxxor stuff to myself. I hack hardware. I have zero interest in playing burnt copies or any of that stupidity. I do it because I'm a contrarian and they say I can't. Christmas for me is a new piece of hardware stuffed to the gills with DRM and security "features". I don't own a piece of equipment that hasn't been opened (cept my microwave, I'm scared of that one :D). One of my favorite pieces of equipment is my jtag'd 360 that runs Linux. I have never released anything publicly, but I have contributed in insignificant ways to projects on the OG Xbox (documentation for open source projects), the 360 (mostly FTP stuff), etc. I can't even tell you how many times I've told my wife "just let me test a couple more points and I'll come to bed". I gave my sister-in-law an XBMC Xbox for their wedding.

It bums me out that my interests converge with pirates. There's nothing worse than a nice conversation on xboxhacker interrupted by some shitbag going "omg wuts ap25 will i be banned lol plz give me lt+ thx".

We definitely exist though. I wish we could divorce the pirates. I wish we could have a community like car haxxors do, where they mod the shit out of their cars to do something "illegal" (like speeding ever faster) without it being assumed that we're all going to go out and actually commit the illegal act. But it is what it is.

DRM is one of the best things that ever happened to me. God I'd be bored to tears with just politics and economics otherwise. If I won $100 million in the lottery tomorrow, I'd spend half on a supercomputer to crack the encryption on the 360. I wouldn't even care if it succeeded, I just would want to try.

That's exactly right, actually. The entire scene is simply groups competing to see who can release something first. Now the actual downloaders are seperate from that, they're just leeching off the work of the people actually cracking the DRM and releasing software. Movies and music are a little different since that's 100000x easier, then it's just about who can get a copy and release it first. The people who do this just do it for fun, usually in the .nfo files that accompany software there will even be a line telling you to buy the software if you like it.

[quote name='mykevermin']What's the sample size?[/QUOTE]
Only about 50 after filtering out the bad entries :(... so pretty damn tiny compared to how large that community actually is. Oh well, it's not like it's a serious survey anyway.

So for all intents and purposes, the PS3 has been 100% irrevocably owned. A couple of thoughts:

1. For 3 years, the PS3 had Yellow Dog Linux on it. No serious attempt to hack it was ever undertaken.
2. Geohot releases a "hack" that realistically does nothing to further piracy or to gain hypervisor access. It's basically an overblown but interesting (for nerds like me) buffer overflow with no future or base from which to build on.
3. Sony responds by completely removing linux from the PS3.
4. Within 12 months, the PS3 is owned.

After action review:

The security on the PS3 is laughably, people-should-lose-their-jobs bad. It stands to reason that no serious group truly did try to break in since the keys were literally under the front door mat. Why didn't they? But really, we don't even need to wonder. The group that did it straight out says it was to restore Linux functionality.

I'd say the lesson here is clear. Hardware hackers don't care what your profit motives are. They want linux on their hardware and will get it on there. If you provide it, they won't touch your system or damage your commercial interests in any way.

Video of the presentation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcbaeKA2moE

edit: oh, and fuck pirates. But seriously, how awesome is XBMC on the PS3 with full Blu Ray and 3D support going to be? Rechargeable controller interface, full access to hardware video acceleration, small form factor, etc. It's by far the best piece of equipment for the job on the market.

The technical stuff of PS3 being cracked goes waayyyyyyy over my head, but it's hard for me to think that the console was not hacked in its first 4 years, if the solution is that simple.

It actually wasn't than I know of. I remember being pretty surprised about it, considering the 360 was cracked so quickly. I always assumed it was because of better security though.

I am not buying the whole "we didn't crack it sooner because Sony was providing linux" argument.

Sony boasting about their impenetrable security would have been enough for a hacker to do it ASAP.

nevertheless, its pretty impressive what has been done.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']The technical stuff of PS3 being cracked goes waayyyyyyy over my head, but it's hard for me to think that the console was not hacked in its first 4 years, if the solution is that simple.[/QUOTE]

It's either that they weren't looking or that they overlooked it since they never imagined that Sony would leave such a massive hole like that.

There's very little reason to believe that any serious group or crypto individual (which is 100% necessary to any serious group) took on the PS3 before this. The error that allowed the ECDSA signature key to be retrieved would be one of the first (if not the first) place that would be looked at because you just can't get there any other way. No key, no signed code, no hypervisor access, no hack.

This isn't something a garage enthusiast like me could have ever stumbled upon but if I had that mythical $100 million to use, the crypto guy would have been "speedracer uber haxxor team hire #1" and he/she would have found it rather quickly. It's so obvious that it becomes illogical to believe that it was seriously attempted previously. Hell, even Geohot's "hack" should have been found before he did.

When you look at it in sum, it seems like the OtherOS issue is significant. We have 4 years, 1 of those without OtherOS. It was easy enough to not need a super sophisticated team so while the probability of the hack being found increases with time, the complexity wasn't a mitigating factor. If I was a betting man, I'd say it sure seems like OtherOS was the nail in the coffin.

Also, the team actually says that they dug in because of OtherOS. That should count for something.

edit: Oh, and the beauty is that the team says that they aren't interested in signing Blu Ray discs which means that piracy is going to have to be someone else's deal. This ONLY allows code execution, which is precisely what you need to run linux and (hooray!!!!) XBMC on it. Also, their hack replaces GameOS with their own software, which is akin to running Jtag on the 360. Sony could easily detect and ban people from their service. Which they're more than welcome to do. Hopefully they'll just ban us all so we don't have to hear it about pirates.

I am buying another ps3 the day I find out I can run xbmc on it. It will strictly be used as a media player.

Pretty funny followup, Sony is now suing over this.

We just saw how you can now add an Install Package Files option to the PS3 using some custom firmware, but that darn hacker George "Geohot" Hotz has taken it a step further by demonstrating homebrew in a quick, Mr. Blurrycam-approved video. It's a barebones app that only says "sup dawg, it's geohot," but in reality it's a pretty huge step. Geohot's provided the file on his website along with a copy of the METLDR root key that enables the homebrew. Sony, meanwhile, has issued a statement saying it'll "fix the issues through network updates, but because this is a security issue, we are not able to provide you with any more details." This runs counter to what pytey from fail0verflow (the famed group that kickstarted this new round of hacking) just told the BBC, "the only way to fix this is to issue new hardware... Sony will have to accept this." Hey, at least you'll be in good company, eh Sony? Check out geohot's proof of concept video after the break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkLSXsCKDkg&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/geohot-demos-homebrew-on-jailbroken-ps3-sony-vows-to-fix-vi/

Remember when George "Geohot" Hotz demoed homebrew on the PlayStation 3? Yeah, we know, it was a whole day of CES ago. Well, it looks like that video wasn't a random crack, but full custom firmware, and not just for show -- he just released it to the world. Believe it or not, we didn't bring our PS3s with us to CES 2011, so we can't actually test it for ourselves, but if you have faith or enjoy living on the edge, you're two clicks, one USB stick and a manual System Update away from potential freedom. Now, let's see him keep his original promise.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/08/geohot-releases-ps3-jailbreak-for-firmware-3-55-world-ceases-to/

We knew Sony would be non-plussed about the PlayStation 3 jailbreak, and now we have a better idea as to the full extent of its anger. The company has filed suit (not yet, see below) asked for a restraining order against George "Geohot" Hotz, the "hacking group" fail0verflow (Hector Cantero, Sven Peter, "Bushing," and "Segher"), and numerous John / Jane Does over the exploit and its release. To be more specific, the company cites violations of Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, various copyright infringements, and other acts of binary malfeasance. A temporary restraining order has also been sought, asking that all "circumvention tools" be taken offline and his computers and related media (i.e. anything storing said tools) be impounded. It looks like Geohot's servers are being slammed at the moment, so we've gone ahead and hosted the relevant PDFs ourselves below. We're still sifting through ourselves and will let you know what we unearth.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/...xploits?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_engadget

We figured Sony would follow up last night's temporary restraining order against Geohot and fail0verflow for distribution of the PS3 jailbreak with a copyright infringement lawsuit, and well, here it is. It's actually pretty straightforward, as far as these things go -- Sony alleges that George Hotz, Hector Martin Cantero, Sven Peter, and the rest of fail0verflow are:

- Violating §1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which forbids bypassing access control measures;
- Violating the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which forbids accessing computers without authorization;
- Guilty of contributory copyright infringement for encouraging and helping others to crack PS3s as well;
- Violating the California Computer Crime Law, which is the state computer fraud act (think of this as a backup fraud claim);
- Violating the PlayStation Network's Terms of Service (which feels meaningless, really);
- Interfering with Sony's relationships with other PSN customers (also meaningless);
- Trespassing on Sony's ownership right to the PS3 (this one feels weak) and;
- Misappropriating Sony's intellectual property (another weak argument, but there in case the copyright argument fails).

Sony's asking the court to forbid Geohot and fail0verflow from distributing the jailbreak and turn over all computer hardware and software that contain the jailbreak code, as well as unspecified damages and attorneys' fees. Yep, these boys done got sued -- and we're sure there'll be some serious fireworks once they lawyer up and fight right back.

Update: And here we go -- Carnegie Mellon professor David Touretzky has posted up the first mirror of Geohot's code as a First Amendment protest, openly challenging Sony to take action. That's moxie -- we love it. [Thanks, Pedro G]

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/sony-follows-up-officially-sues-geohot-and-fail0verflow-over-ps/

The DMCA rears it's ugly head again. This will certainly be interesting, why these guys haven't remained anonymous is beyond me though.

Both fail0verflow and Geohot released tools that could not be used for piracy and went out of their way to explain that they purposefully did that. Naturally, Sony claims contributory infringement.

There was a pretty good debate going on in the usual places about whether the quality devs should release a 3.55 custom firmware with poke/peek (piracy) enabled or whether to go full linux support. Some nubs were trying peek/poke but not doing great and people weren't rushing to help em. As of this morning, they've been getting a ton of help. fail0verflow code repository has been cloned about a billion times today in response.

Well played, Sony.

Can you explain the logic of hacking/piracy as a first amendment issue to me? I've heard people before couch it in the frame of code being the underlying artifact (such that the full code to create and run...um, whatever was the first DVD Ripping software program 6-8 years ago, I can't recall the name, please don't let it be something stupid like "DVDRip" - well, it was printed on flyers, on t-shirts, and defended as speech rhetorically, if not successfully legally).

At any rate, I see the first amendment issue as one of a semantic legal loophole. Like overseas tax shelters. Both are perfectly legal, and both are artifacts of "drift" (i.e., our legal system failing to follow up on changes to society that make current laws outdated).

So the floor is yours - how is this a first amendment issue?

[quote name='Clak']The DMCA rears it's ugly head again. This will certainly be interesting, why these guys haven't remained anonymous is beyond me though.[/QUOTE]
Because they're European and it's legal there. Unlike America, companies doing business in Europe don't have the right to tell you how to use stuff you buy.

It's just for show. A law firm somewhere is loving the desperation and soaking up billable hours.

[quote name='mykevermin']Can you explain the logic of hacking/piracy as a first amendment issue to me? I've heard people before couch it in the frame of code being the underlying artifact (such that the full code to create and run...um, whatever was the first DVD Ripping software program 6-8 years ago, I can't recall the name, please don't let it be something stupid like "DVDRip" - well, it was printed on flyers, on t-shirts, and defended as speech rhetorically, if not successfully legally).[/quote]
It was DeCSS.

So you write a piece of code and wrap it up fancy in DMCA protection. Some kid figures it out and its just a brute force program, 50 or so lines. You claim DMCA, blah blah blah. Ok. So he can't compile code that includes it. The question became, can he talk about it? A court initially ruled no. In response, a huge effort to use it in every way imaginable except actual code began. Are haikus that talk about it protected? Are songs that just happen to have the code (but not all together, in pieces in parts of the song) protected? If you change every letter for the letter before it, is that legal?

This is a picture of the code. It cannot be compiled. Is it legal? http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/page3.gif

There was some really creative stuff done: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/

[quote name='mykevermin']Can you explain the logic of hacking/piracy as a first amendment issue to me? I've heard people before couch it in the frame of code being the underlying artifact (such that the full code to create and run...um, whatever was the first DVD Ripping software program 6-8 years ago, I can't recall the name, please don't let it be something stupid like "DVDRip" - well, it was printed on flyers, on t-shirts, and defended as speech rhetorically, if not successfully legally).[/QUOTE]

It was a CSS descrambling algorithm.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/

Beyond that, I don't know. It was before my time.

Dang, you two guys just had a mind meld.

Thanks for those links.

It's an interesting contrast to a distributed executable file for sure, though. How does that logic extend to code that is not only compilable, but upon being compiled and distributed as its own software, retains first amendment protections?

I.e., how can geohot et al. claim the same protections?

[quote name='mykevermin']It's an interesting contrast to a distributed executable file for sure, though. How does that logic extend to code that is not only compilable, but upon being compiled and distributed as its own software, retains first amendment protections?

I.e., how can geohot et al. claim the same protections?[/QUOTE]
We'll find out. The courts go back and forth because big companies are battling over this all the time so the target is moving. The rules have typically been: don't compile. Tools can't be made "illegal" unless they contain code written by Sony, Microsoft, etc. If you stay away from proprietary code and don't compile, you're considered safe. "The scene" has ways of circumventing the legality of the proprietary code problem (via headless servers that just seem to exist outside of anyone's control (funny how that works)) so it's not like it's a real problem.

Or just stay away from America.

edit: I'd like to take the opportunity to point out that DeCSS was hacked because you literally could not play a DVD on linux. There was no linux program granted DeCSS decryption capability. The makers of DeCSS knew that and didn't give a shit, so people took it into their own hands and provided linux functionality. That sounds oddly familiar, huh?

[quote name='speedracer']Because they're European and it's legal there. Unlike America, companies doing business in Europe don't have the right to tell you how to use stuff you buy.

It's just for show. A law firm somewhere is loving the desperation and soaking up billable hours.[/QUOTE]
Ah, that makes sense then. I was happy when the ruling came through that gaining root access to phones didn't violate any laws, not that it really violated the DMCA anyway.

Yeah I would imagine that so long as it stays in a raw code form it would be protected, since it isn't technically a program, just a bunch of text code. It's not a program until it's been compiled into an executable form.

Over night, Sony dropped more docs. Allegedly Sony found Geohot's Paypal address and sent him $1. His paypal account was not on his website and he specifically said not to send donations. Sony is now saying Geohot benefited financially from the hack and is arguing that their court case in California should be allowed to proceed (instead of NJ where Geohot lives) because his account accepted the interstate transfer. Geohot, a kid from Jersey, got a letter stating there will be a hearing tomorrow. Tomorrow.

In California.

Also, Sony's lawyers put the all important key in the documents that were filed two days ago. They just noticed and had them removed. Slick move, guys.
Also, the mirrors put up yesterday are being used as supporting evidence in the new docs that Geohot contributed to piracy, even though his code doesn't enable it in any way.

Sony can eat a bag of dicks.

edit: The reason they want it in California is so they can sue under a bunch of California laws that are more lenient to business. They sent him $1 so they could attack with more. Not that it surprises anyone but in a reasonable world, that's about as shitbag as it can get.

So Sony has employed the old fuckING DELETE EVERYTHING strategy. They've served Youtube to get a list of everyone that LOOKED at a video showing a jailbreak. They've served Google, Facebook, Twitter, Paypal, Slashdot, ISPs, basically the entire tubes looking for people that have posted the PS3 Root Key.

From the mega facepalm.jpg department, last night Sony's Kevin Butler twitter account retweeted the key:

kevin.jpg

lulz

[quote name='speedracer']They've served Youtube to get a list of everyone that LOOKED at a video showing a jailbreak[/QUOTE]

1) source on the above? this seems preposterous to even think about requesting. i've read this a few places, but I want to verify Sony did it, lest it become another "Obama is spending $200 Million per day to travel to the south pacific!" rumor.

2) Kevin Butler posted the root key. this is significant, but is it dangerous to possess that info? Is this another "lifelock" strategy (the CEO put his SS# on all their billboards, daring people to steal it and therefore showing off the quality of service they offer), or is this a major league fuckup?

Everyday it becomes more and more clear that these companies don't understand the world we live in.

[quote name='mykevermin']1) source on the above? this seems preposterous to even think about requesting. i've read this a few places, but I want to verify Sony did it, lest it become another "Obama is spending $200 Million per day to travel to the south pacific!" rumor.

2) Kevin Butler posted the root key. this is significant, but is it dangerous to possess that info? Is this another "lifelock" strategy (the CEO put his SS# on all their billboards, daring people to steal it and therefore showing off the quality of service they offer), or is this a major league fuckup?[/QUOTE]
Funny thing is that lifelock did fuck all to protect him too.

bread's done
Back