resurfacing older cd games?

jumbo11

CAGiversary!
anyone does this? is it worth it?

i'm thinkin of bringin all my rare psx/sega cds back to a new condition.

what retail chains provide professional resurfacing services?

thx yall

[quote name='refusedchaos']gamecrazy....[/quote]

Yeah, it's the only big game store that offers it. I've been resurfacing PS1 & Saturn games lately since I've been getting them in crappy condition. I've had no problems with the discs after taking them there. If you're wondering how much they charge, it's:

1 disc for $1.99 or 5 discs for $5. They give a resurface card for the $5 one, just in case you don't have 5 discs that need resurfaced.

Do they really look like new after you do it though? Or do they have those swirly marks that I see a lot on used games? Are there any disc games you shouldn't use it on due to different manufacturing? -Like psx,saturn,dc etc? Or does it not matter?

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Do they really look like new after you do it though?[/quote]

Depends on who is using, but for the most part, yeah. Can't see any scratches after it's resurfaced.

As for discs to worry about, it's been hit or miss with the Dreamcast games I take up there. The employee that does them at the store I take them to explained it has something to do with the way GD-Roms(DC discs) are made. So if you've got DC games that are working, but you want the disc to look better, I'd hold off on getting them resurfaced.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Depends on who is using, but for the most part, yeah. Can't see any scratches after it's resurfaced.

As for discs to worry about, it's been hit or miss with the Dreamcast games I take up there. The employee that does them at the store I take them to explained it has something to do with the way GD-Roms(DC discs) are made. So if you've got DC games that are working, but you want the disc to look better, I'd hold off on getting them resurfaced.[/quote]

Thanks Tangerine. :)

The GC I got my discs resurfaced at sucked. Left all kinds of blue streaks from the chemical they used and made some new scratches.

I think EB/GS does resurfacing now. I saw a customer come in to get a GameCube disc resurfaced.

[quote name='imacgod']The GC I got my discs resurfaced at sucked. Left all kinds of blue streaks from the chemical they used and made some new scratches.

I think EB/GS does resurfacing now. I saw a customer come in to get a GameCube disc resurfaced.[/quote]

the rough/sandy material that they put the disc on is probably dull or the person using the resurfacer is probably dumb.

also, i wouldnt recommend TRU (they have one also) as your source for your resurfacing needs. gamecrazy is the best and cheapest one out there. and yes the disc comes out like its brand new with the exception of the area around the hole, theres no data written on that area anyways so you dont really have to worry.

The only other thing you may notice with resurfaced discs is a whitish 'film' on the bottom side of the disc. That is usually just some leftover residue from the resurfacing machine, which usually doesn't do anything to the games themselves.

I've noticed it on all of my games I've had resurfaced.

My one local game store, which sells games pretty cheap in most cases anyway, has a couple resurfacing machines. The owner just got in a pro model one about 6 months ago after having one of the desktop models like I've seen in GC stores.

He must make a mint off that thing each week, since every time I go in there, he has stacks of cd/dvd based games to resurface that are literally 3-4 feet high stacked next to each other and sometimes the stacks are 2 and 3 deep.

He used to do it for free, but then started charging the same as GC,$2 per disc, which still isn't too bad considering.

I just wonder though, is it legit if you took in a harder to find game to be resurfaced and then listed it as MINT in an auction or ad afterwards?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I just wonder though, is it legit if you took in a harder to find game to be resurfaced and then listed it as MINT in an auction or ad afterwards?[/quote]
Given that discs can only be resurfaced a finite number of times (even if it's dozens of times) I think it would be proper to label it as "resurfaced."

bread's done
Back