Retail Employee Stories Part 7: "I'm Not Supposed To Be Here Today!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Why go to the trouble for 10 cents? I mean, if somebody said "ah, I'm 2 dollars short" I could see but "ah, I'm 8 cents short" seems odd to me.[/QUOTE]

They go in knowingly with the short amount and they know its a small enough amount that the place will just give it to them and dig out the extra dime from their tip jar. Its pretty obvious when you see it enough, rings up for $1.50, guy says slyly "All I got is $1.40" all in change. You know the price is $1.50, and the fact that you know your pile of change has $1.40 means you counted it before. Cheap and shady, thats all I can say about them.

I am guessing that the 5-10 cents they save adds up over time, I am cheap but I am not THAT cheap. I don't think most retail clerks or fast food workers would allow that around here, and as everyone else says you will be recognized for doing that if you do it enough.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I question the truth of this. Why would he call the manager to tell them that it was a fantastic meal? Who does that? Especially if he constantly complained about the meals he got.

The heart attack is possible, but man if I don't have trouble believing the whole "I loved the licked tortillas you gave me" story. :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Don't really care if you believe me or not, it's what happened. We also used to wet down the drive-thru in the winter and watch the cars try and get through after it iced up.

Haha I used to sheepishly do the skimping on change with a salad at BK that costs $5.07 after tax. It was for no reason other than to get out of scrouning for the $.07 tax.

[quote name='davo1224']Haha I used to sheepishly do the skimping on change with a salad at BK that costs $5.07 after tax. It was for no reason other than to get out of scrouning for the $.07 tax.[/QUOTE]

Haha. So. Funny. :roll:

It's not really funny, but I'm laughing out of guilt. I had a ton of part time jobs, BK in particular, and none of them required your drawer to be exact to the penny. I would have gladly given them $6 if they could keep credit me for the next fourteen times simply because I hated having to carry around $.93 in change for the rest of the day.

LOL, the cheap fast food restaurant customer who is always short a few pennies.

Don't always assume a fast food restaurant will let your drawer be short by a few cents, especially if its a family run mom and pop operation. I remember in high school working one such restaurant where the owner was a tight ass--he calculated for every $1 spent in his store, he got 5 cents back of that as profit for himself, and he was damned if he was going to let anyone cheat him out of his 5 cents. If the drawers were even off by a penny he'd write the cashiers up and after a few offenses, they were fired. Customers being short money for their orders was not acceptable--he'd rather throw the food out then give to them at a discount, because it was all about his 5 cents. Added to the fact that this particular restaurant bordered a low income area, so there were ALWAYS customers short a few cents, and this man was damned if he was going to let welfare recipients and crack heads get discounted food. As a result the front of the house cashier positions in that place were high turnover (which would be expected if you must have cashiers that are always 100% accurate), and any cashier that left that place without being fired and could get a job reference from the owner would be in high demand by the other local businesses for cashier positions, and even the local bank starting positions.

[quote name='Spacepest']LOL, the cheap fast food restaurant customer who is always short a few pennies.

Don't always assume a fast food restaurant will let your drawer be short by a few cents, especially if its a family run mom and pop operation. I remember in high school working one such restaurant where the owner was a tight ass--he calculated for every $1 spent in his store, he got 5 cents back of that as profit for himself, and he was damned if he was going to let anyone cheat him out of his 5 cents. If the drawers were even off by a penny he'd write the cashiers up and after a few offenses, they were fired. Customers being short money for their orders was not acceptable--he'd rather throw the food out then give to them at a discount, because it was all about his 5 cents. Added to the fact that this particular restaurant bordered a low income area, so there were ALWAYS customers short a few cents, and this man was damned if he was going to let welfare recipients and crack heads get discounted food. As a result the front of the house cashier positions in that place were high turnover (which would be expected if you must have cashiers that are always 100% accurate), and any cashier that left that place without being fired and could get a job reference from the owner would be in high demand by the other local businesses for cashier positions, and even the local bank starting positions.[/QUOTE]

I would imagine that word went around about this place, and a place like this should be out of business soon because people will not want to work for it if they are expected to be 100% accurate. Its a small town here and I was a cashier and most cashiers have worked at a few places before they get to the one you are at while working with them so they know the best and worst places to cashier, all you have to do is talk to your co-workers. A place that can't get workers will eventually fail. Its virtually impossible to be 100% accurate as a cashier, unless you have one of those machines like Subway has here that dispenses the change into a tray that is right in front of the customer. I have never seen a store or restaurant allow a transaction that was short a few cents to go through over here and usually you pay at fast food places here before the food is made so if someone was short they could simply refuse service and cancel the order.

My girlfriend's workplace, a bookstore, has a similar policy where if her register is off she'll be written up. She was written up for having about 20 cents extra in her till. According to her, management lets the older crew get away with a lot more, so perhaps they're just tougher on her because she's the newest one there.

Had a person sit down in front of a computer (I work at a public library) and try to log on to use it. Was there for 5 minutes (I was only there for the final 30 seconds), poking the monitor, banging on the keyboard, and clicking with the mouse. Finally he turned to the guy next to him (I was helping the person right in front of him) and asked:

Him: Hey, can you help me out? I can't seem to log on.
Guy next to Him: Yeah, let me see (briefly glances over)...well you're monitor is off...
Him: Oh, maybe that's why I can't see anything...
Guy next to Him: Could be...(looks over again, frowns, and then moves his chair over to him)...and you have no computer. There's literally no computer here. They took the actual computer and there's just a monitor, keyboard and mouse here...(looks at Him like he's an idiot and moves his chair back to his computer)
Him:....oh....(notices me)...hey, do you work here?
Me: Yeah, how can I help you?
Him: There doesn't seem to be a computer here...
Me: (I walk over to him and notice that he's moved the "Out of order" sign out of the way)...yeah, that's why the sign is there. Our computer tech person had to work on the computer so she turned off the monitor and left that sign there.
Him: Well, I signed in to that computer (points to a temp 15 minute computer (a temp computer that lets you access the internet for 15 minutes only))...and then I came here...
Me: Well, you had to actually sign in at the "sign in" computer....the computer at the front of the lab with the big sign that reads "sign in". Then it will assign you a computer #. You then go to the computer with that # and sign in to use it.
Him: ....oh....(just sits there)
Me: (I just look at him for several seconds and then walk away before I catch his stupid)

I know there are many people that don't know how to use our system but everytime you go to the front desk to check out a temp. computer pass, they ask you "have you used our computers before?"

If you haven't, they go through the whole procedure to make sure you know how to do it. And if you still need help, we can actually go up to the "sign in" computer and show you step by step how to do it.

But sometimes....sometimes the crazy ones slip pass us and make for a good story for this post, lol.

Who would be stupid enough to move an Out of Order sign out of the way and then try to use that computer? Did he think the library was trying to pull a trick on him?

[quote name='Link927']They go in knowingly with the short amount and they know its a small enough amount that the place will just give it to them and dig out the extra dime from their tip jar. Its pretty obvious when you see it enough, rings up for $1.50, guy says slyly "All I got is $1.40" all in change. You know the price is $1.50, and the fact that you know your pile of change has $1.40 means you counted it before. Cheap and shady, thats all I can say about them.[/QUOTE]
What fast food place has a tip jar? I still get a chuckle out of all the places I've seen with tip jars on their counters lately. Unless I'm at a full service restaurant there is no way in hell a grease jockey at Mickey D's is getting a tip from me for giving me indigestion with their slop on a bun.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What fast food place has a tip jar? I still get a chuckle out of all the places I've seen with tip jars on their counters lately. Unless I'm at a full service restaurant there is no way in hell a grease jockey at Mickey D's is getting a tip from me for giving me indigestion with their slop on a bun.[/QUOTE]

Basically all of the smaller chain places at my local mall food court have them. The only one that doesnt have it is Burger King, but even all the Subways I've been to have them. I feel like its there more for the fact that someone doesnt want to carry the extra 43 cents in change and dumps it all in there.

Tips are for people who make less than minimum wage since the majority of their income is derived from tips (and the lady who cuts my hair since she is altering my appearance for the better). So, sorry, Dunkin' Donuts employee, my 37 cents is coming with me.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Who would be stupid enough to move an Out of Order sign out of the way and then try to use that computer? Did he think the library was trying to pull a trick on him?[/QUOTE]

You've obviously never worked at a place that offers free services for the general public, lol.

[quote name='foreverjoe20']You've obviously never worked at a place that offers free services for the general public, lol.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='neocisco']Tips are for people who make less than minimum wage since the majority of their income is derived from tips (and the lady who cuts my hair since she is altering my appearance for the better). So, sorry, Dunkin' Donuts employee, my 37 cents is coming with me.[/QUOTE]

Classy. When you stop at a place every morning for coffee you get to know people and tipping is a sign of respect. They remember you and what you order, you act like a civilzed human being and leave a tip.

..and a lot of the people working at Dunkin Donuts probably don't make minimum wage. They're family members of the guy who owns the franchise and they bust their ass 70-80 hours a week.

You made a big assumption thinking I stop for coffee every day. Incorrect. In fact, I don't even drink coffee. Another fact, in order to support the baseless claim you wanted to make you conveniently chose to ignore the sentence right before the quote you took out of context which just so happened to invalidate your claim.

Chastising me based on a completely invalid guess and falsified information? Classy.

[quote name='donkeydrop']Classy. When you stop at a place every morning for coffee you get to know people and tipping is a sign of respect. They remember you and what you order, you act like a civilzed human being and leave a tip.

..and a lot of the people working at Dunkin Donuts probably don't make minimum wage. They're family members of the guy who owns the franchise and they bust their ass 70-80 hours a week.[/QUOTE]
I don't see why anyone should feel obligated to tip because the employees aren't making more money. They're doing their job and getting paid for it. If they're not happy with how much they make, then perhaps they should look for work elsewhere. We're supposed to just be the customer, not their boss.

Not that I drink coffee, mind you; I'm mainly talking about diners, restaurants, etc. I don't know how it is at a coffee/doughnut shop, but I can say that I've never met a waittress/busboy who didn't make a decent amount of money. My sister's been waiting tables for several years now and she usually brings in $200 in tips most nights.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I don't see why anyone should feel obligated to tip because the employees aren't making more money. They're doing their job and getting paid for it. If they're not happy with how much they make, then perhaps they should look for work elsewhere. We're supposed to just be the customer, not their boss.

Not that I drink coffee, mind you; I'm mainly talking about diners, restaurants, etc. I don't know how it is at a coffee/doughnut shop, but I can say that I've never met a waittress/busboy who didn't make a decent amount of money. My sister's been waiting tables for several years now and she usually brings in $200 in tips most nights.[/QUOTE]

Is that split between staff or by herself? I can personally attest that I never made anywhere near that amount years ago when I was in the restaurant industry.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I don't see why anyone should feel obligated to tip because the employees aren't making more money. They're doing their job and getting paid for it. If they're not happy with how much they make, then perhaps they should look for work elsewhere. We're supposed to just be the customer, not their boss.

Not that I drink coffee, mind you; I'm mainly talking about diners, restaurants, etc. I don't know how it is at a coffee/doughnut shop, but I can say that I've never met a waittress/busboy who didn't make a decent amount of money. My sister's been waiting tables for several years now and she usually brings in $200 in tips most nights.[/QUOTE]

And in some states they can pay waiters/waitresses below minimum wage because of tip income that makes up for the lesser pay. You're a real dick if you go to a full service sit down place and don't tip your server at least 15% if not more provided they give competent service. Its just part of the way the restaurant industry works in America, whether you like it or not. It's not like that in many other countries, which is why foreigners sometimes neglect to tip and Americans seem generous when they tip abroad.

Tipping at Starbucks or a fast food joint or something else, that seems more discretionary. Tipping in those instances can have its benefits but you should at least receive a satisfactory level of service even if you don't tip at a place like that.

[quote name='Link927']Is that split between staff or by herself? I can personally attest that I never made anywhere near that amount years ago when I was in the restaurant industry.[/QUOTE]
I honestly have no idea if they split or not, but that's the amount she usually goes home with.

[quote name='kodave']And in some states they can pay waiters/waitresses below minimum wage because of tip income that makes up for the lesser pay. You're a real dick if you go to a full service sit down place and don't tip your server at least 15% if not more provided they give competent service. Its just part of the way the restaurant industry works in America, whether you like it or not. It's not like that in many other countries, which is why foreigners sometimes neglect to tip and Americans seem generous when they tip abroad.[/QUOTE]
All they do is carry a tray to my table and sometimes bring me water. The bagboy at the grocery store does more work for me and I'm not even allowed to tip him. I don't care if it somehow makes me a dick when someone decides to work at a crappy job. Besides, in California, tips do not count towards the minimum wage requirement of an employee's paycheck. So, they can get tipped $5000 in a night or absolutely nothing; they're still bringing home at least minimum wage ($8/hr). Tips are pure profit...so I'm not really going to feel bad for not giving someone money just because they're nice and tell me how cute my kid is. People sure as hell don't do the same for me when I go out.

Also, the notion of tipping a percentage of the bill is just silly. Whether you order a $25 steak or a $3 bowl of soup, the server does the same amount of work. I don't see why they should be rewarded extra when I feel like treating myself. If anyone deserves a tip, it's the guy cooking my food. Of course, nobody ever calls me a dick for not tipping him. Hell, most moderate-scale places don't even give you a way of doing so.

[quote name='kodave']Tipping at Starbucks or a fast food joint or something else, that seems more discretionary. Tipping in those instances can have its benefits but you should at least receive a satisfactory level of service even if you don't tip at a place like that.[/QUOTE]
You should receive a satisfactory level of service no matter where you go, regardless of tips.

[quote name='tindall311']
doesn't matter if you think it's silly. It's the standard in america. Do you hate america?[/quote]

fail

[quote name='ZombieToast']I honestly have no idea if they split or not, but that's the amount she usually goes home with.

All they do is carry a tray to my table and sometimes bring me water. The bagboy at the grocery store does more work for me and I'm not even allowed to tip him. I don't care if it somehow makes me a dick when someone decides to work at a crappy job. Besides, in California, tips do not count towards the minimum wage requirement of an employee's paycheck. So, they can get tipped $5000 in a night or absolutely nothing; they're still bringing home at least minimum wage ($8/hr). Tips are pure profit...so I'm not really going to feel bad for not giving someone money just because they're nice and tell me how cute my kid is. People sure as hell don't do the same for me when I go out.

Also, the notion of tipping a percentage of the bill is just silly. Whether you order a $25 steak or a $3 bowl of soup, the server does the same amount of work. I don't see why they should be rewarded extra when I feel like treating myself. If anyone deserves a tip, it's the guy cooking my food. Of course, nobody ever calls me a dick for not tipping him. Hell, most moderate-scale places don't even give you a way of doing so.

You should receive a satisfactory level of service no matter where you go, regardless of tips.[/QUOTE]

You just failed your own logic. Why should the bag boy or the cook deserve a tip more than your server? They're getting paid minimum wage or higher for doing their jobs. Under your logic, they deserve nothing. Or if you want to extend your faulty logic, you should tip your brain surgeon because that's way more complicated than taking an order, refilling your drinks, cooking your food, or bagging your groceries.

If you don't understand how tipping works and how much to tip, good luck navigating many areas of business in a world. For instance, if you go to a crowded bar and don't tip the bartender when you get your drinks, good luck getting any service the rest of the night. You may not agree with that, but that's how the world works. You probably think its absurd that you should tip someone to pour an ounce of whiskey into a glass of coke, pay $8 for it, then have to tip too. Now I'm sure you'll say you don't go to bars, or that if that happened to you you'd just go to a different bar and you'd receive perfect service on a crowded night without tipping. So let me cut you off before you even go with either of those arguments. #1 Its just an example, other service industries work the same way and #2 Same shit will happen to you at a different bar.

[quote name='tindall311']I would spit in ZombieToast's food.

Doesn't matter if you think it's silly. It's the standard in America. Do you hate America?[/QUOTE]
You have no idea what I look like nor do you have any way of identifying me and you wouldn't know about my aversion to tipping until after the meal, so I'm guessing you'd spit in everyone's food. I actually do leave tips most times, but you've made me reconsider that.

[quote name='kodave']You just failed your own logic. Why should the bag boy or the cook deserve a tip more than your server? They're getting paid minimum wage or higher for doing their jobs. Under your logic, they deserve nothing. Or if you want to extend your faulty logic, you should tip your brain surgeon because that's way more complicated than taking an order, refilling your drinks, cooking your food, or bagging your groceries.[/quote]
Okay, you say "Under your logic, they deserve" nothing and I agree. I don't tip bagboys or cooks and I don't feel like they deserve it either because they are also just doing their jobs. The point is that they do more work for comparable wages and nobody is expected to tip them. Just like your bar scenario, they were just examples.

[quote name='kodave']If you don't understand how tipping works and how much to tip, good luck navigating many areas of business in a world. For instance, if you go to a crowded bar and don't tip the bartender when you get your drinks, good luck getting any service the rest of the night. You may not agree with that, but that's how the world works. You probably think its absurd that you should tip someone to pour an ounce of whiskey into a glass of coke, pay $8 for it, then have to tip too. Now I'm sure you'll say you don't go to bars, or that if that happened to you you'd just go to a different bar and you'd receive perfect service on a crowded night without tipping. So let me cut you off before you even go with either of those arguments. #1 Its just an example, other service industries work the same way and #2 Same shit will happen to you at a different bar.[/QUOTE]
Nobody's denying that you get poor service if you don't tip. My point is that you shouldn't have to receive poor service as a result of not tipping. Should I do a worse job of fixing people's computers if they don't tip me? Maybe install a keylogger so I can give myself a tip next time they enter their credit info? Believe it or not, I have actually been offered tips and I have always turned them down because it's ridiculous to give someone more money simply for doing their job.

[quote name='kodave']And in some states they can pay waiters/waitresses below minimum wage because of tip income that makes up for the lesser pay. You're a real dick if you go to a full service sit down place and don't tip your server at least 15% if not more provided they give competent service. Its just part of the way the restaurant industry works in America, whether you like it or not. It's not like that in many other countries, which is why foreigners sometimes neglect to tip and Americans seem generous when they tip abroad.

Tipping at Starbucks or a fast food joint or something else, that seems more discretionary. Tipping in those instances can have its benefits but you should at least receive a satisfactory level of service even if you don't tip at a place like that.[/QUOTE]

You are currently or at some point been a waiter. Not many people know about the shitty foreigner tips. Europeans and Asians .

[quote name='foreverjoe20']Wonder what happened to the people that used to post here regularly...[/QUOTE]

They all got fired due to complaints.:lol:

I only tip if the person did their best to serve me well. As a lame stockman I can confirm that we are not allowed to take tips doing so can make us get fired, I have had instances where the customer would actually take the tip and put it in the cart.

Yeah, people do that a lot at Vons when you take their groceries out to the car for them. An ex-buddy of mine practically got yelled at by an old lady once because he wouldn't take her tip. She couldn't comprehend that he was worried about getting fired and not trying to be rude.

I have to agree with ZombieToast, it's called a gratuity for a reason. You tip based on the service you receive, crappy service=no tip or a small tip. Great service= great tip. There seems to be this belief that you must tip servers no matter what and at least 18%.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']They all got fired due to complaints.:lol:[/QUOTE]

I personally got a 'promotion' that moved me to closing shifts... and in my store, the crazy stuff happens during the day. Apparently about a week ago they had to call the cops to remove some guy from the store, and I missed the whole thing. I kinda miss the weirdness...

My stance on tipping... I wish we didn't practice it. Like some of you, I don't see how fulfilling your job requirements warrants an extra reward from the customer (considering the wage garnishment, I'm assuming it's how restaruants figured out to make their customers pay for the food and the employee's wages.) Don't get the wrong idea, I DO tip... but I don't think I should have to.

I work at a coffee shop and we are supposed to just put the tips in the register when we do get some here and there. But I don't really care and just take them any way. Fire me I hate the job anyways. Best one I got was a $20 bill from the cops as we give them free coffee all the time.

I tip well at the strip club (savannahs in harrisburg PA, sohclub.com) Those bitches deserve it. Someone has to pay for those fake tittehs! I only tip the ones I like, but that is most of them. lol... Its worth a few bucks if I get to motorboat :) My GF goes with me, but I am sure she does not like me motorboating. lol...

I tip very well, but (and despite working for tips for a number of years) I hate the practice. Do away with the custom, pay those folks a fair wage, and make tips a rare but welcome bonus.

[quote name='kodave']And in some states they can pay waiters/waitresses below minimum wage because of tip income that makes up for the lesser pay.[/QUOTE]

Legally, this is a 100% falsehood.

If your daily wage + tips does not equal minimum wage, the employer is REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW to "equalize" the pay up to minimum wage.

[quote name='http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm']If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. [/quote]

If you work for an establishment that isn't equalizing, it isn't the customer's fault that your employer is cheating you.

[quote name='dodgeme']I work at a coffee shop and we are supposed to just put the tips in the register when we do get some here and there. But I don't really care and just take them any way. Fire me I hate the job anyways. Best one I got was a $20 bill from the cops as we give them free coffee all the time.[/QUOTE]

That just seems greedy on the establishment's part. I say go and take it, it wasnt meant for them but for the person who served (ie you)

[quote name='neocisco']You made a big assumption thinking I stop for coffee every day. Incorrect. In fact, I don't even drink coffee. Another fact, in order to support the baseless claim you wanted to make you conveniently chose to ignore the sentence right before the quote you took out of context which just so happened to invalidate your claim.

Chastising me based on a completely invalid guess and falsified information? Classy.[/QUOTE]

wtf are you high or something? You were the one mentioned Dunkin Donuts and a very specific amount of money, so obviously I was right that you stop there often to buy a specific item. Whether you drink coffee or a venti grande chai latte it's no excuse not to treat the people like human beings.

[quote name='UncleBob']If you work for an establishment that isn't equalizing, it isn't the customer's fault that your employer is cheating you.[/QUOTE]
It's also very good grounds for a lawsuit. Glad to see that this is a federal thing and not just in California.

[quote name='donkeydrop']it's no excuse not to treat the people like human beings.[/QUOTE]
What? The guy doesn't go in there, rape the employees, and then shit in their mouths. Well, maybe he does, but it seems rather unlikely.

I tip 15-20% every single time.

The price of food at a sit down restaurant isn't the price on the menu. It's the price + tax + tip. If you can't deal with that, stay home or eat fast food.

When in America, you fucking tip. When in Japan, you don't. It's not easy being a waiter/waitress and you people who think it should be "normal" not to tip because they are doing their jobs just don't get it. The social norms of this country mean you tip because the service industry folks rely on tips to make a living, since their wages get them only partially there.

If you don't like it, stay the fuck home.

You think 10-12% is good? And you reserve the right to not tip because of bad service. Fine. But don't pull some Reservoir Dogs bullshit and act like you're making a statement on society. You're not. You're just making a statement on how much of a douche you are.

[quote name='ZombieToast']It's also very good grounds for a lawsuit. Glad to see that this is a federal thing and not just in California.[/QUOTE]

The only thing I'm not sure on - are there any states that have a higher minimum wage than the federal law requires but don't require equalizing up to the state's minimum. Here in Illinois, I know there's a state law that requires it.

[quote name='confoosious']I tip 15-20% every single time.

The price of food at a sit down restaurant isn't the price on the menu. It's the price + tax + tip. If you can't deal with that, stay home or eat fast food.

When in America, you fucking tip. When in Japan, you don't. It's not easy being a waiter/waitress and you people who think it should be "normal" not to tip because they are doing their jobs just don't get it. The social norms of this country mean you tip because the service industry folks rely on tips to make a living, since their wages get them only partially there.

If you don't like it, stay the fuck home.

You think 10-12% is good? And you reserve the right to not tip because of bad service. Fine. But don't pull some Reservoir Dogs bullshit and act like you're making a statement on society. You're not. You're just making a statement on how much of a douche you are.[/QUOTE]
People in America do a LOT of things that don't make sense. This is only one of them.

[quote name='UncleBob']The only thing I'm not sure on - are there any states that have a higher minimum wage than the federal law requires but don't require equalizing up to the state's minimum. Here in Illinois, I know there's a state law that requires it.[/QUOTE]
I don't really know how it is in other states; all I know is that the California law web site basically says that if you are not making minimum wage or that your employer is using your tips to meet that requirement, then you need to file a lawsuit against them because they are breaking the law.

[quote name='ZombieToast']People in America do a LOT of things that don't make sense. This is only one of them.

[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense. The fact is that's how our service industry is structured. By not tipping, you're not correcting what you think is a bad national policy, all you're doing is screwing the service staff who factor in those tips to make a living.

What do you think is gonna happen? Your lack of tip is gonna cause the owner to say "hmmm you know what? That guy didn't leave a tip. I should take this as a sign that our policies in this industry are wrong. I'll have to correct that right away!" Of course not, the waiter hates you for not tipping despite good service and it just makes you look like a douche.

It's not like waiters do it to get rich. The least you could do is throw them 10% so they can make their usual living (which isn't great to begin with).

Being frugal is one thing. Screwing someone else trying to make a living is another. Don't be ridiculous.

(If you have a gripe because of very poor service, that's another issue. I'm talking about not tipping because you're a cheap ass.)

Last edited by a moderator:
my friends who wait tables tell me only 1/2 of the tips go to them, the other 1/2 is split between the kitchen staff and the bus service. so if you're not happy with the server but the food was decent...you gotta at least hook up the ppl in the back. As for ppl who wait table to survive? that's not entirely true, one girl I know makes crazy money at a high end resturant waiting tables...and she keeps her clothes on.

on to retail!

If you don't tip properly its probably going to come back and bite you in some way in the future, think of it as karma. This isn't somewhere to skimp with your money, if you can't afford the menu price + 18% + tax then simply don't go out to eat or go to a fast food place that does not require tips. Waiters and waitresses at most run of the mill restaurants work very hard for their tips and unless the service and food is atrociously bad then you should be tipping properly. Since I am in a tourist area I bet a lot of the customers don't tip and most tourists are incredibly rude and think they own all the stores and restaurants here so I kinda feel sorry for those who are stuck in restaurant jobs here since they depend on the business of rude and cheap tourists who do not tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back