Retail Employee Stories Part 8: Stories From Smart Tech Featuring Andy

So, a bunch of big wigs are visiting this week and our supervisor is harping on us about pushing receipt surveys and credit and if you are seen not doing that you will get written up. You will also get written up if you are not engaged with every single customer that comes through Self-Checkout.

This comes from a supervisor that disappears half the time, always left the hard work for another head cashier who actually ran the front (and got another job so he quit), calls out every time she has to close on Sunday, and in general is in way over her head and hates doing work.

Then again, the only reason she got the job is because she is friendly and her uncle is friends with the store manager at the time.

I don't have too many stories from my new job.  I am the head cook in a restaurant so I don't get much customer interaction.  I'll just say people are damn picky about their food.  We had a person order a medium burger, send it back because it was pink in the middle.  Anytime food gets sent back the manager re-makes it.  So my manager cooked a well done burger and the person also sent it back saying it was too done.  We've had people have 80 dollar checks and not leave tips regularly.  My boss is an older black gentleman who was raised in the Charleston area, so he's a little more affluent maybe?Anyway....

We are a bbq place with a drive thru (terrible idea since most of our product is raw and can take time).  The manager usually runs drive because it's not super busy.  One day my manager was working and this guy comes through and asks for "a bunch of ribs to go".  We've had one lady ask us, "Do y'all have fried chicken?"  She was the nicest lady because after we told her no she said "Have a good day!"  It might have been one of the most southern people to come through drive thru.

Last week I came in a few minutes early (I usually do to make extra money).  My manager told me there was a mess in the back.  I was half asleep and said "We'll clean it up."  We have a smoker in the back that everything cooks on.  For some reason the company paid for a handyman to cap the drain of the smoker, so all of the grease, fat, extra rub, etc that comes off the meat just builds up.  I guess I'm the only one that thought that was a bad idea, because that stuff has to go somewhere.  Oh and it did.  The pipe busted and there was fat, grease, stank, etc. about 3 inches deep on our back floor.  That was before I started my shift.

We got that cleaned up and I thought the rest of the day was going to be easy since it was a Tuesday.  Nope, My manager and I were getting my butt kicked (ON A FREAKING TUESDAY!!!! RAWRARARARARARA!!)  and one of our 2 fryers goes out.  Screw it, we just keep going.  Then a few minutes later I go to grab a Lexan pan (thick, heat resistant plastic) full of pulled pork out of our front smoker.  The thing slips and there goes 7 pounds of pulled pork on the floor.

bread's done
Back