Retail PC Reccomendations

deletion

CAGiversary!
hey guys. i've been using steam a lot lately and playing more pc games (lead & gold, team fortress 2, crysis, battlefield bad company 2). my current pc runs ok but, I'm looking to get a new desktop pc that will probably last another 3 years and looking for some reccomendations. i'm not looking to build one from scratch, but to buy one either online or at a big box retailer. i know probably not the best way.but looking to spend probably 800 bucks, 900 max. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks!

If you can install a new hard drive, and upgrade your video card you have the skills to build a PC. It's true that you will get a warranty with a pre-built PC. But you will get better performance for the same price by putting it together yourself.

Try reading over a guide to see if you understand everything. Modern PCs are very easy to assemble, and once you do it once it will be like riding a bike and easy to replicate.

Try looking through this guide before you settle on buying a pre-built. http://arstechnica.com/ask-ars/2011...-own-computer-ask-ars-diy-series-part-i.ars/1

I'm pretty comfortable putting in gfx cards n hard drive, but never built one from scratch. Knowing me i'll never get around to building a pc, so just think it's quickest and easiest just to buy one. I have a gateway lx6810 now, but keeps dying evrytime I do something intensive.

Building your own is also a pain in the ass if you get a dead motherboard or something. Which happened to me the two times I did do it. Though in the end it was worth it just because I know what parts are in there and it's not full of bloatware. But it's still a pain and I understand why people don't want to. If you're a student you can get a free xbox with purchase so it could be worthwhile to buy a prebuilt right now.

[quote name='Thongsy']Building your own is also a pain in the ass if you get a dead motherboard or something. Which happened to me the two times I did do it. Though in the end it was worth it just because I know what parts are in there and it's not full of bloatware. But it's still a pain and I understand why people don't want to. If you're a student you can get a free xbox with purchase so it could be worthwhile to buy a prebuilt right now.[/QUOTE]

Bad luck dude. I've built at least eight computers and not one time have I received any kind of bad hardware.

As mentioned, for $700 you could build a beast PC, whereas if you bought a pre-built with that $700, you'd get significantly less performance. Don't be intimidated by it. If you can follow instructions to build something out of Legos, you can put a PC together.

Newegg n tigerdirect seem to have some decent prebuilt comps. I'll do a lil bit more research into building my own n see where pricing stands on both. Thanks slot guys!

Go over to neogaf on the buy/sell/trade thread, there is a used machine w/ some pretty nice parts for $325. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418214

If you don't have a neogaf account let me know I can send the seller an PM for you. The guy has a couple of positive feedbacks, so it is a bit of a risk. However, it is a great deal for a PC.

Pop in a new video card (560 or 570) and you should be good to go (and you'll have money left).

I'd skip the GAF machine. It's a decent deal, but he CPU is very weak and will be feeling very outdated in a year or two.

If you are dead set on prebuild, I really recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229262 It has a core i5 2500K, and a GTX560. It is $999 which is a little more than you said you wanted to pay, but this will easily last you four to five years, or even longer. It will likely be more powerful than the next gen of consoles, and if thinks stay how they are you will be playing games at maxed out through the full console cycle.

If you can't do the extra $100, go for this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229264 Main difference is a weaker video card. It will still do well, but you'll probably want to upgrade the card in two years. There is one for $899 that is almost the same, but the motherboard is very questionable in it as it's an Intel H61 rather than a Z68.

The first build with the i5 2500K and GTX560 is what I would recommend doing a build your own around. The price is actually spot on with building your own, with the difference being you don't know the motherboard or power supply so a build your own for the same price would have higher end components there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newegg ShellShocker deal, so I don't know how long it will last. It includes everything you'd need to build your own except a nice graphics card and OS. Of course, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to these things but if I was in the market to put together a machine of my own I'd probably drop the

I'm not sure I'd call that processor weak now (at least for gaming), in a year or two the word 'weak' would apply though. I was just thinking buy this as your base ($325 plus it has a great case and power supply), then tinker with the it by replacing the video card for $250 within the next six months. Then in ayear or two drop a new RAM/MB/CPU combo in and you have a machine that will likely last 5 years for $900 (assuming in a year or two you can pick up RAM/MB/CPU combo for around $325).

It does sound like OP is looking to avoid building his own PC (ever), this deal would at least push it a year down where maybe tinkering might be more of an option.

The issue with pre-built machines is they usually will skimp on some key components like the MB or PSU, which really hampers the ability to upgrade down the road as well.
[quote name='SScorpio']I'd skip the GAF machine. It's a decent deal, but he CPU is very weak and will be feeling very outdated in a year or two.

If you are dead set on prebuild, I really recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229262 It has a core i5 2500K, and a GTX560. It is $999 which is a little more than you said you wanted to pay, but this will easily last you four to five years, or even longer. It will likely be more powerful than the next gen of consoles, and if thinks stay how they are you will be playing games at maxed out through the full console cycle.

If you can't do the extra $100, go for this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229264 Main difference is a weaker video card. It will still do well, but you'll probably want to upgrade the card in two years. There is one for $899 that is almost the same, but the motherboard is very questionable in it as it's an Intel H61 rather than a Z68.

The first build with the i5 2500K and GTX560 is what I would recommend doing a build your own around. The price is actually spot on with building your own, with the difference being you don't know the motherboard or power supply so a build your own for the same price would have higher end components there.[/QUOTE]

I have a similar situation although I'm willing to spend a little more if it means a significant upgrade in quality. Already have a good 24" monitor. Willing to spend up to $2k. Prefer Nvidia cards since I've heard more issues w/ ATI cards playing various games.

you know once you add up the software and warranty buying a desktop whole sell isn't as bad as people make it out to be. my friend actually has been threw 3 dells with his 5 year warranty . if i were building a new system tho i'd just get a decent i7 barebones(th ink they co me with psu, hd, rap mobo case 1HD and heatsink and its all installed) that mostly has everything, windows 7 and a good vid card :)

bread's done
Back