Retro Duo (NES/SNES) $37 shipped @ Buy.com (all colors)

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
These are normally about $50. I think I'll finally pick one up. Scroll to the bottom for different colors available.

Link

209297335.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bjstucker']I have never found those things to be good. Half the time they break or do not support half the games.[/quote]

The only problems I've seen are audio problems regarding the NES. There aren't any compatible issues that I know of.

had one, the NES slot would not play anything after about 2 months. ebay'd it as broken and got around that price. guess i made out well.

[quote name='TypeSH']had one, the NES slot would not play anything after about 2 months. ebay'd it as broken and got around that price. guess i made out well.[/QUOTE]

That's because you didn't blow into the cartridges. :)

I have one. It works great, but I was sad to find out you can't play any game that's more than 2 players. I tried 3 player Secret of Mana, and only 2 players could move at once, or it froze up.

[quote name='mang9432']those cords are really short. I guess you get what you pay for.[/quote]

They aren't actually that short. They're a few feet long.

Also,
[quote name='Shimrra']eh this are nice [/quote]

[quote name='ChibiJosh']
They aren't actually that short. They're a few feet long.
[/quote]

phew! I thought I was going to have to keep the system on my lap.

[quote name='slt']I like their game choices for the display picture there.[/quote]

But Duck Hunt won't work. Better not buy it to use your Zapper, Power Pad or Power Glove. It has SNES ports only.

I have one from Stootsi that was posted a month ago. I haven't had any compatibility issues yet but it's too early to tell. The one hardware problem I have is that hooking up through S-Video causes scrolling black lines, which might be just the cable that it came with. Normal A/V is ok. Controller cables are about 3 ft shorter than the 360 Play and Charge cable so I have to sit closer to the TV.

Would the version make a difference? The one at Stootsi is v2.0: http://www.stootsi.com/store/item.aspx?item=11310252

[quote name='typeRJ']\The one hardware problem I have is that hooking up through S-Video causes scrolling black lines, which might be just the cable that it came with. [/quote]

Yeah, that's probably just your cable because I hook mine up with the S-Video and it looks fine.

[quote name='typeRJ']But Duck Hunt won't work. Better not buy it to use your Zapper, Power Pad or Power Glove. It has SNES ports only.

I have one from Stootsi that was posted a month ago. I haven't had any compatibility issues yet but it's too early to tell. The one hardware problem I have is that hooking up through S-Video causes scrolling black lines, which might be just the cable that it came with. Normal A/V is ok. Controller cables are about 3 ft shorter than the 360 Play and Charge cable so I have to sit closer to the TV.

Would the version make a difference? The one at Stootsi is v2.0: http://www.stootsi.com/store/item.aspx?item=11310252[/quote]

i'm not sure but it looks exactly like this one so my guess is that they are the same: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210893764&i=0

Dang it, I wish I could just buy a new NES and SNES. I SO should have picked up spares when I had the chance.

Ditto for the Saturn :(

Probably just gonna stick with my original that I've actually found myself dusting off and playing recently despite the purchase of multiple ps3/xbox360 games the past couple weeks. :p

Damn..
I really didn't want to spend anymore money this week xD
But my copy of FFIII just won't stop calling my name..
I'm in.

I bought one of these about a year ago, I have since played about 20 -30 NES and SNES games, only had audio issues with one game, Willow. When you throw the acorns it gave me static noise. Other than that, I wish the cords were longer, or there was a wireless option available. I may pick up another at this price, for a spare, or a gift for someone.

Thanks OP

I wish Nintendo would at least sell maybe a reader or something for the Wii (heck Sega could sell a reader and disc that contains emulation software for a bunch of systems). That would be soooo cool.

FYI: The A and B buttons for NES games are reversed. This is a bigger deal than it initially seems. The standard "run and jump" sequence that is ingrained into our hands/mind gets all screwed up. Same as playing the Gamecube version of Mega Man Anniversary. Totally ruined the experience for me. YMMV.

Since the patent has expired, someone reputable should come up with a decently-built one of these with wireless controllers. Charge $75 - lots of people my age who grew up on these systems would buy it.

[quote name='cozinator']Since the patent has expired, someone reputable should come up with a decently-built one of these with wireless controllers. Charge $75 - lots of people my age who grew up on these systems would buy it.[/QUOTE]

I'd pay more NOT to have wireless controllers, but yeah...wish someone would. Or just the companies themselves :whistle2:/

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'd pay more NOT to have wireless controllers, but yeah...wish someone would. Or just the companies themselves :whistle2:/[/quote]

nintendo is more interested in reselling its games to people via ROMS on the Wii's VC. that is where the money is since it costs virtually nothing to dump them on there

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'd pay more NOT to have wireless controllers, but yeah...wish someone would. Or just the companies themselves :whistle2:/[/quote] Yeah they would never do it but I would love to see a pimp NES/SNES/N64 cart combo player. Made by Nintendo

[quote name='cozinator']Since the patent has expired, someone reputable should come up with a decently-built one of these with wireless controllers. Charge $75 - lots of people my age who grew up on these systems would buy it.[/QUOTE]

They do. It's called the Generation NEX. It's been out for 3+ years now. Even Gamecrazy sold it in their retail stores for awhile.

http://www.playmessiah.com/products/classics/generation-nex-videogame-console.htm

[quote name='mang9432']anyone have one of these?[/QUOTE]

I do. I have the NEX console, the wireless NES and SNES controllers, as well as the NEX arcades stick. I'd recommend them to anyone. The NEX doesn't play every single NES game (they have the full list on their website as well as on wikipedia), but overall it looks and plays great. What's nice about the NEX is that you can use old NES controllers if you want. Most knock-off NES clones force you to use their exclusive (usually crappy) control pad. The one that comes with the NEX is ok, I just prefer the feel of the original pad.

FYI: The d-pad on their wireless pads is a little difficult to adjust to. Also, the pads work on real NES and SNES consoles. That was the reason I bought them in the first place.

[quote name='mang9432']anyone have one of these?[/QUOTE]

I have one too. Pretty good little machine. Very compact and stylish. I have the wireless controllers too. The d-pad is kind of weird, its a slider type design. Works fine for Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior, not so well for Ninja Gaiden or Mega Man. Anything in between like Mario would be questionable. You can still find these systems and controllers at Hastings stores if you have any nearby.

Heybtbm - how are the wireless SNES controllers? Similar to the NES wireless controllers?

This is a pretty good deal for the system, but as others have said you get what you pay for as far as quality is concerned.

I recommend the FC Twin system over this.

[quote name='SL4IN']This is a pretty good deal for the system, but as others have said you get what you pay for as far as quality is concerned.

I recommend the FC Twin system over this.[/quote]

From everything I've read the FC Twin is far inferior. It's compatibility is less then the Duo (including major games like Super Mario RPG not working with the FC Twin), the NES has awful audio (although I've heard the Duo's isn't very good either). The Twin is a pretty poor and NES & SNES machine where the Duo is a damn good SNES machine and a pretty mediocre NES machine.

Hope this price sticks till Fri when I get paid, I've been meaning to get one on eBay for a while. I have a stack of NES, Genesis, and SNES games that I grew up on but not one of the systems is fully functional (being in a shed will do that :whistle2:() Super Metroid is just calling!

[quote name='Purkeynator']Heybtbm - how are the wireless SNES controllers? Similar to the NES wireless controllers?[/QUOTE]

Identical. Same goofy d-pad. Still worth it IMO. You're right about what games these are good for. Menu-based RPG's are perfect. Reflex 2D platformers...not so much.

[quote name='killias2']Geez, just buy a top-loading NES on ebay. Trust me. It's worth it. Besides the lack of A/V, they're awesome.[/QUOTE]

I'll say. I have two.

lol we still have both our original nes and snes from back in the day. The NES works just fine...last time I played the original zelda (with shiny gold cartridge yay) it still saved.

[quote name='batman1939']Is that just the wireless ones? Can I use my old NES pads because port looks same.
And do games stick out top because it looks like front has door.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is for the wireless NEX controllers that you buy separately. The one that comes with the system is wired and has a regular d-pad. The front is for NES games, the top slot is for famicom games.

bread's done
Back