Retro Game Music Bundle: Myst, Duke Nukem 3D, 7/11, Jazz Jackrabbit & more game OSTs

seamoss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
166 (100%)
The Retro Game Music Bundle is offering the following game soundtrack bundles:

A minimum of $1 gets you:

• Myst (remastered 20th anniversary)
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • 7th Guest / 11th Hour
  • Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2
  • Tyrian

A minimum of $10 gets you:

• Shadow Warrior
  • Duke Nukem 2
  • Jazz Jackrabbit 3
  • Double Dragon Neon
  • Major Stryker
  • Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
  • Wacky Wheels
  • Alter Ego
  • Edge
  • Magnetis
  • Lava Blade
  • Duke Nukem 3D - Remix

This is the first release for many of these game soundtracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jazz Jackrabbit... now there's a name I haven't heard in such a long time!

They should have included a finished copy of JJ3 in this bundle if they're offering the soundtrack.

Jazz Jackrabbit 1 soundtrack was excellent! Last weekend I fired up JJ2 with latest patch + unnoficial patch, and man, what a good game.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']For some of the older ones, are they available on GOG when you buy the game from there?[/QUOTE]

Not exactly answering your question but the newsletter said the following are first-time releases:

Shadow Warrior*
Duke Nukem 2*
Jazz Jackrabbit 3*
Major Stryker*
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure*
Wacky Wheels*
Duke Nukem 3D - Remix*

And also their site seems a little unstable at the moment to me...

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']For some of the older ones, are they available on GOG when you buy the game from there?[/QUOTE]
*checks GOGWiki

Duke Nukem 1+2, Shadow Warrior, The 7th Guest, The 11th Hour, and Tyrian have soundtracks. But keep in mind that these are usually simple MIDI or CDDA to MP3 rips.

Additionally, The 7th Guest / 11th Hour's soundtrack that's in this bundle is -not- just a game rip, it was originally released as a physical CD by Fat Man and includes a bonus rendition of The Game... in a Hawaiian theme.

[quote name='invincibleaggre']Hm... just looked back at this thread. It's just gaming soundtracks, right? Not the actual games?[/QUOTE]

Yes, just the game OSTs, not the games. I've edited the OP to make it even clearer.

It's a great collection, but I'm confused as to why the 320kb mp3 versions of the downloads are gigantic, even bigger than the flac versions. Something seems to have gone wrong with the encoding and it's really annoying. Maybe I should just re-encode all the albums myself after downloading them.

[quote name='JazzFlight']It's a great collection, but I'm confused as to why the 320kb mp3 versions of the downloads are gigantic, even bigger than the flac versions. Something seems to have gone wrong with the encoding and it's really annoying. Maybe I should just re-encode all the albums myself after downloading them.[/QUOTE]

In that case, I'd just download the FLACs and reencode. Personally, all my focus would be on the FLACs anyways, since I transcode my stuff to my players anyways.

Same here, I never bother with MP3s if FLACs are available since I can transcode them to whatever format/rate I want (or just leave them as FLACs on my HTPC which has TBs of free space).

[quote name='JazzFlight']It's a great collection, but I'm confused as to why the 320kb mp3 versions of the downloads are gigantic, even bigger than the flac versions.[/QUOTE]
Are you sure about that? According to my download page, the FLAC versions are all larger than the MP3 versions. Here's one example:

Code:
DUKE NUKEM 3D: ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK     FLAC      MP3	
                                      1.39 GB   385.01 MB

Maybe the labels were reversed when you first looked at it?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, as an experiment, I looked at the album with the smallest difference between FLAC and MP3 file sizes:
Code:
TYRIAN      FLAC       MP3	
          200.63 MB  138.28 MB

I downloaded both ZIPs and looked at the individual tracks. While the vast majority of these tracks had smaller MP3 files than FLAC, there were a few where the 320Kbps CBR MP3 was bigger.
Code:
                                FLAC         MP3	
07 - Deli Shop Quartet No 2    1352 KB     1557 KB
10 - End Of Level               330 KB      385 KB
11 - Game Over Solo             553 KB      636 KB
31 - Zanac3                     219 KB      282 KB
40 - Composition In Q          4716 KB     5329 KB

Keep in mind that 76KB of each file is the album art. For tracks 10, 11, and 31, these are very short tracks (5-14 seconds), around half of which is silence. The FLAC file can drop the bitrate during the silence to near 0, while the 320Kbps CBR MP3 is stuck recording the silence at 320Kbps CBR. For the other two tracks, 07 and 40, I think the repetitiveness of the tracks helped the FLAC encoding to be more efficient somewhat.

I think this shows the inefficiency of 320Kbps CBR for MP3s. While 320Kbps is the highest bitrate possible for MP3, forcing the encoder to encode every frame at this bitrate, regardless of if it's needed, can lead to large file sizes that, occasionally, even rival a non-lossy FLAC file of the same track. Encoding in VBR is likely much better if you're looking for a small file size of good quality. For example, running track 10 (uncompressed from the FLAC) through LAME on preset extreme gave this result:
Code:
Encoding as 44.1 kHz j-stereo MPEG-1 Layer III VBR(q=0)
    Frame          |  CPU time/estim | REAL time/estim | play/CPU |    ETA
   301/301   (100%)|    0:00/    0:00|    0:00/    0:00|   19.414x|    0:00
 32 [  0]
 40 [  0]
 48 [  0]
 56 [  0]
 64 [  0]
 80 [  0]
 96 [  0]
112 [  0]
128 [181] *********************************************************************
160 [110] ******************************************
192 [  9] ****
224 [  1] *
256 [  0]
320 [  0]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   kbps        MS  %     long switch short %
  141.9      100.0        97.5   1.3   1.2
After adding in album art and ID3 tag info, the file size as 215 KB.

BTW, I don't think there's anything "wrong" with the 320Kbps CBR encodes for these tracks. They're exactly the size you'd expect when encoding at 320Kbps CBR. As a test, I also re-encoded track 10 in LAME at 320Kbps CBR, and got the same file size. The problem isn't the files, but the concept of using 320Kbps CBR in the first place.

So yes, if you have the space, download the FLACs and re-encode them into VBR MP3s at whatever quality setting fits you preferences for size/quality.

bread's done
Back