Drclaw411

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
CURRENT DEALS:

$129.99 with free shipping at ThinkGeek

Important Information
​Warranty registration - http://www.retron5.com/warrantyregistration_/
Patch Notes / How to Update (Last update 6/10/2014) - http://retron5.in/?src=98f13708210194c475687be6106a3b84

I've included the text from the pre-order era of this OP in spoilers for reference.
UPDATE 5/27/14: It's real this time. Hyperkin's June 6 release date is happening. Many mom and pop stores that have received their units have started selling them already, and many people who have ordered from Amazon (myself included) are reporting getting emails from Amazon notifying them that their orders qualify for release day delivery and are updating estimated delivery status to June 6th, no longer showing the "we need more time" placeholder. It's worth noting that so far only people who have ordered the grey unit from Amazon are receiving order updates (which coincides with Hyperkin reporting on their facebook page that they had shipped Amazon's grey preorder units, but Amazon had yet to place an order for the black units). All consoles that have been shown off online by reviewers, people who have been able to buy them before the street date, or Hyperkin themselves have all been grey consoles to this point. No word on black consoles. Another note: Chris Gallizzi of Hyperkin responded to an inquiry about Newegg orders by saying that he is not aware of any issues with Newegg's preorders, and they should be good to go for the launch.

UPDATE 5/22/14: Just one day after IGN and Polygon reported that Hyperkin would begin shipping units to retailers on May 22 (today as of this writing), Hyperkin essentially confirmed that. They have announced that the launch date for the long overdue RetroN 5 is June 6th, 2014. In a much quieter fashion (just by responding to a random person's comment) they confirmed this would be for North America only and that the console would launch in the UK in September. There is also one more small hitch. The rumor that the first batch of units would be only for mom/pop B&M retailers and that NO units from this batch would go to Amazon or Newegg has been gaining some serious steam. While Hyperkin has been responding to a decent amount of comments on their facebook page from excited fans, they continue to ignore questions about when Amazon orders will ship. So it seems those of us who preordered on Amazon still don't have a solid release date. Fulfillment could happen any time between June 6th through September or beyond.

UPDATE 5/21/14: IGN today reported that the RetroN 5 would begin shipping out on May 22 (tomorrow, as of this writing)! This coincides with Chris Gazzilli, Hyperkin's project manager, posting a picture on his facebook page of a massive shipping container full of RetroN 5 units. Ladies and Gentlemen, it seems hell may have just frozen over.

UPDATE 5/13/14: Hyperkin has listed the RetroN 5, and it's controllers, on their company wholesale store for authorized retailers to buy. The console (both colors) and controllers (both colors) are listed as sold out. I'm not sure if they were in stock and sold out quickly, or if they haven't been made available yet. Regardless, it's good news that the system is listed for the first time ever. Additionally, reviewers such as GameSpot and several youtube reviewers have received their review units, which appear to be retail units. The RetroN 5 seems to finally be around the corner. We'll see, but things look promising right now. One thing to note: the listing for the console on Hyperkin's wholesale page indicates that each wholesale box contains six units. If this is the case, it would seem to debunk the previous report of the console being shipped in quantities of four per retailer.

UPDATE 4/25/14: While this hasn't technically been confirmed by Hyperkin, I take it as fact. It's worth remembering that NOTHING has been officially confirmed by Hyperkin. Hyperkin has remained silent until unofficially confirming almost all known info in random interviews with various youtubers and forum members. Therefor, again, I take this as fact:

I spoke to Hyperkin today.

Here are the "unofficial" details.

The "end of May" release is a "soft" release. Meaning they really are waiting for the next batch due in the summer for the official real release. Amazon is NOT getting any of the units released at the end of May. Each retailer is only getting 4 units. Retail on the unit is $139.99 and $39.99 for the additional controller. The reasons for the price increase are both cosmetic and technical but if it works as it should then it should be a great retro system.

Our 4 are already taken with pre-orders. If you know any stores locally that are getting units, and you want one for end of May, then i suggest you contact them and put money down. Keep in mind that each store is getting 4 units only for the soft launch.
UPDATE 4/17/14: Hyperkin has increased the price of the RetroN 5, saying "north of $100, between $129.99 and $149.99". Alll pre-orders from Amazon should be honored via their pre-order price guarantee. I believe Newegg has the same guarantee, I am not sure about Stone Age Gamer or 8 Bit Classics. Think Geek still hasn't opened pre-orders on the unit, instead offering a link to be signed up for email notifications as to when it will be available. Also on the Amazon front, they have sold out or pre-orders. Furthermore, it is more likely you'll learn the ETA from Amazon, Newegg, or whoever you ordered it from. Hyperkin has gone on record of saying they will never again announce a hard release date for anything.

UPDATE 4/12/14: After Hyperkin denied the console was delayed again and vigoruosuly shoved the month of April up everyone's ass for half a year, today they delayed the vaporware console yet again. At the Midwest Gaming Classic, they did their annual presentation. They ignored the planned April 2014 release, but finally somebody in the crowd asked about it. The Hyperkin rep said it was releasing in "30 days, guaranteed". This is not the first time they used the word "guaranteed", last time was about April so this doesn't mean jack shit. So maybe it'll randomly show up at people's houses at the end of may, maybe it wont, and maybe my ass will fly out of my ass.

Retron 5 Delay History:
-Summer 2013 (which they continued to say after summer was over, claiming they meant "Indian Summer" or "California Summer"....i'm not making this up)
-December 10 2013
-Quarter 1 2014
-Quarter 2 2014
-First two weeks of April
-April 2014, guaranteed
-Gauranteed within 30-40 days of April 12, 2014
-June 6 2014

DELAYED. ANY UPDATES FROM HYPERKIN WILL COME ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/HyperkinGames

UPDATE: In a recent interview, Hyperkin confirmed that the initial batch of units WILL NOT BE ENOUGH to meet day ome demand. Also confirmed was the ability for the system to act as a multitap. Example: in a four player SNES game, two players could use snes controlles, one player could use the retron controller, and one player could use a genesis controller. Interview can be found here.

Pre-order at Amazon (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Newegg: Black (SOLD OUT) or Grey (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Stone Age Gamer (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)
Pre-order at 8 Bit Classics (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)

UPDATE: Hyperkin claims that they opened up some packaged retail units and discovered some units had faulty pins. because of this, the Retron 5 has been delayed. No new release date has been announced, although Hyperkin has stated the unit will release in 2014 and that they are aiming for Q1. This is the Retron 5's third delay.

EDIT: Preorders are sold out at Amazon and Newegg.

Retron5 pre-orders have finally (about damn time) opened.

For those of you who have been following this console, you know it's quite highly anticipated and looks to be far better than any clone system released before.

For those unfamiliar, here's a little info:

• It's one system that plays games for the following systems: NES, SNES, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Super Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.
  • Two controller ports for each console will be built in with the system. It will also come with one wireless universal controller.
  • Outputs in HDMI and upscales for HDTVs. Early impressions and videos of this have been extremley postive. From the website: "The RetroN 5 will up convert the video signal to show clearer and cleaner images, with vibrant colors on an HDTV with a resolution output of up to 720p through the use of shaders. You will also be able to select the aspect ratio in our GUI, from the standard 4:3 to the HD ratio of 16:9."
  • Features a user interface (dashboard. Somewhat similar of the PS3 interface in appearance, in my opinion).
  • Features save states. From the website: "Most games did not allow for you to freely save your games. The RetroN 5 will allow you to save their games at any point during gameplay, and will feature an autosave feature upon shutdown. You will be able to load your saves at anytime during gameplay."
  • Button reassignment supported. From the website: "Users will be able to program the controller to assign buttons to their preference. In turn, the RetroN 5 will save these custom layouts, so that users will not have to constantly reconfigure the button configuration. This feature will also be available to people wanting to remap their buttons on their original controllers."
  • 100% game cartridge compatibility, without lag.
  • Sega Power Base Converter compatible, allowing Sega Master System games to be played.
More information is here. It may be a bit dated since this was from back when they first announced the console, but I figured it was the best site to link since it also featured some screenshots as well. http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/retron-5-details-revealed-from-the-midwest-gaming-classic/ There is also plenty of info on Hyperkin's facebook page.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and i'm extremley excited that pre-orders are finally open. For one console that not only plays all of these console's games, but upscales them and features save states (either to the cartridge (if supported) or the console itself)...this seems like a great deal. And if you've been following the hype for the console, there is a good chance it could end up selling out. Hyperkin isn't a huge company and this thing has a TON of pre-release demand (just check out the comments on the facebook page). I like the look of the black one a bit better, because it seems to be the traditional console color nowadays. But I opted for the grey model because the black console and controller seem like they'd be fingerprint magnets.

Preorder either color here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-RetroN-Gaming-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00DZIX3CQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1378958043&sr=8-13&keywords=retron+5 or here at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=retron%205&N=-1&isNodeId=1&RandomID=65244712392254220130925161655

Here are pictures of the two consoles, since the pictures on Amazon aren't that great:

Grey:
Retron-5.jpg

Black:
e3_retron5_03550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm crossing my fingers that since Hyperkin is presenting at MGC this weekend, that they'll announce a solid release date at the same place they announced the system at last year...

Some Retron 5 Gold from their facebook page:

Insider here with new info on the SUPER AMAZING RETRON 5!

Thankfully we ran into another issue with the Retron 5 (scratches on the lid flaps). Since we've started development of this console, we've come across so many features that we thought were missing from the original idea. So many, in fact, that we have to give you guys a delayed release date again, we're projected sometime in summer 2019. But look at all these AWESOME FEATURES:

-Oculus Rift integration: Smash your face into the ceiling fan trying to hit those coin blocks in Super Mario Bros.! Flop onto the carpet when you go prone in Contra! ALL THE PIXELS ARE IN YOUR FACE!
-Entire living room control: Tired of having to deal with turning off and on all those pesky devices and consoles? NOT ANYMORE. Simply run all your devices through the Retron 5 for the best experience! Shout at your Kinect-enabled Xbox One, and your Retron will promply ignore it! It might even change the channel or something! Insert SUPER COOL RETRO-STYLE scanlines in your Blu-ray movies! Tell your friends you're on the cutting edge because you watched Pulp Fiction for the 83rd time with Facebook achievement sharing!
-Whole home integration: We figured out that customers want, and it's FEATURES FEATURES FEATURES! Your Retron 5 will start your coffeepot, wash dishes, and even shave your neckbeard to a stylish-yet-sophisticated 1/4" of pure euphoria. Is your girlfriend giving you crap for being a loser who buys old games to chase down your youth? The Retron 5 will tell HER TO HIT THE BRICKS. You don't need her anyway, because how can you get a perfect playthrough on Kid Icarus when you have to have a life? YOU CAN'T, THAT'S HOW. And that leads us to our newest feature...
-3D printing capability!: Don't have the game you want for the Retron 5? MAKE IT. The console will spit it right back at you. But it doesn't stop there. Want a club sandwich? BAM, YOU GOT IT. Want come obscure Thundercats action figure to show your houseguests how in touch with your roots you are? Retron 5 has got you covered. The only thing it can't print is your childhood memories, but hopefully we run into another defect so we can have an excuse to delay it, and add that feature!

We here at Hyperkin believe that vaporware isn't just something you make small promises about an release a few screenshots; you need to grab that vaporware mantle and own it! Why give little tidbits and have nothing to show, when we can give you no information and pack it full of features that sound too good to be true! Duke Nukem Forever is a great model for us, but we want to step it up by taking the hardware route. Our goal is to have you fully emotionally invested, so we can tweak the vaporware experience indefinitely! The more you like it, the longer it takes!

Enjoy the pictures of us playing with the SUPER MEGA AWESOME RETRON 5! We look forward to ignoring you until around October, then letting you down!

-The Hyperkin Team

Lol if they really posted that it comes across as a little bit too snarky to me honestly. I'm all for delaying it until it's perfect and have posted the last two times defending the delays but it's obvious their remarks are aimed at people bitching and I mean really guys, you had to have expected you would have a lot of pissed off customers by now. Absolutely feel people should be mature and have patience but at the same time did they really think pushing this thing back continually wasn't going to irritate people even a little?

So I just now found a half dozen Genesis games, none of which I intend to use on this thing once I get it. I was intending to include them all with my Genesis when I sell it but now am not sure if I should do that or sell them individually in case the interest in these games goes up with this thing out. Gotta test them out but they're all as is and don't come with the cases which I have no idea what happened to since even then I was a pack rat when it came to my stuff. Probably not worth anything but just thought I'd get an opinion anyway.

Titles:

Sonic and Knuckles

Sonic Pinball

Wheel of Fortune

The Lion King

Battleship

The Misadventures of Pac Man

F-15 Strike Eagle

Another Sonic game I forget

Titles:

Sonic and Knuckles

Sonic Pinball

Wheel of Fortune

The Lion King

Battleship

The Misadventures of Pac Man

F-15 Strike Eagle

Another Sonic game I forget
Sega stuff always plays second fiddle to Nintendo carts. There are some good games there, but nothing of much value.

If they are truly doing what they say in testing every single game across all 5 formats for 100% compatibility then I can forgive the delays if that really happens because that is a massive undertaking. Still I think their biggest PR nightmare has actually been trying to be too exact with a release date of a product that is really in beta testing phase at best it seems. Would it have killed them to simply say after the first delay something like "summer 2014," Q3/Q4 2014," or hell even just "late 2014?"  I mean either way any delay stings but at least then it wouldn't be delay after delay...

For crying out bloody ape fuck. They are now refusing to even acknowledge the April release that they guaranteed (and yes, they used that word). Now, in the very rare cases in which they even respond to anybody, they simply say "soon". This is redicufuck. As we all continue to watch our preorders sit their without any sort of eta, they continue to prance around the country visiting convention after convention, showing off the console and taking pictures of themselves playing it, and refusing to acknowledge anything or give any updates. They went right in to April continuing to say "April 2014" was when it was coming out. How the makeababy could they continue to tout April if they are truly that far off? And WHY are they that far off? What's with the boxed, ready to go retail units they showed off on their facebook page? What about that they said they already finished testing every game for every system, as well as fixing the pin issue? If these issues are handled and done, WHAT THE fuck IS THE WAITING FOR?

Do they simply like to see the faces of their customer base as they powerthrustily asshump everybody? For crying out testicles this is redicuass. Zero transparency, zero updates on why they haven't announced a release date, zero updates on if April is even still the month after they shoved that month up everybody's ass during the first quarter of the year. What the hell. I want to slap them.

Maybe Amazon will take another 20% off if it get delayed again. Worked the first time.
I just hope they don't cancel the preorders. I have no problem waiting for the Retron 5 to release and it gives me enough time to hunt for some games that I didn't have the opportunity to play back in the 16 bit days.

I don't know anything about this system, so maybe I'm thinking of one with a similar name, but I saw something like this at Fred Meyer today.

Is there any chance of this getting released this month? I ask this because my sega genesis is dying and I'd rather not spend the money replacing it if this is coming out soon.

Another delay would be great for me. I blew the budget with imports this month thanks to the new Super Robot Wars games I just had to have on both platforms. I just wish they would keep us abreast of developments or just say 'We have no release date as of this time and will inform the community at least a few weeks in advance when we do'. I just don't want to be caught off guard by a $150 order that I haven't paid off yet.

For crying out bloody ape fuck. They are now refusing to even acknowledge the April release that they guaranteed (and yes, they used that word). Now, in the very rare cases in which they even respond to anybody, they simply say "soon". This is redicufuck. As we all continue to watch our preorders sit their without any sort of eta, they continue to prance around the country visiting convention after convention, showing off the console and taking pictures of themselves playing it, and refusing to acknowledge anything or give any updates. They went right in to April continuing to say "April 2014" was when it was coming out. How the makeababy could they continue to tout April if they are truly that far off? And WHY are they that far off? What's with the boxed, ready to go retail units they showed off on their facebook page? What about that they said they already finished testing every game for every system, as well as fixing the pin issue? If these issues are handled and done, WHAT THE fuck IS THE WAITING FOR?

Do they simply like to see the faces of their customer base as they powerthrustily asshump everybody? For crying out testicles this is redicuass. Zero transparency, zero updates on why they haven't announced a release date, zero updates on if April is even still the month after they shoved that month up everybody's ass during the first quarter of the year. What the hell. I want to slap them.
So.. um.. what exactly is a "makeababy"?

I learned a couple new expletives from your rant. I especially like "makeababy". That's pretty good haha.

But seriously, c'mon Hyperkin.

System to be released in the next 30 days:

twitter.com/VideoGameRescue/status/455012408579215361/photo/1

He will have a full interview on his YouTube page today

I cant get the link to show for some reason, its under @VideoGamerRescue Twitter account.

System to be released in the next 30 days:

twitter.com/VideoGameRescue/status/455012408579215361/photo/1

He will have a full interview on his YouTube page today

I cant get the link to show for some reason, its under @VideoGamerRescue Twitter account.
Thanks. I'll wait however long it takes. As long as the system works. Like someone said earlier, it would just be nice to have a couple weeks notice to have the money ready (or for several CAGs: to apply their Amazon giftcard credit to their order).

Thanks. I'll wait however long it takes. As long as the system works. Like someone said earlier, it would just be nice to have a couple weeks notice to have the money ready (or for several CAGs: to apply their Amazon giftcard credit to their order).
Here is the presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLgqsDNwaUg&feature=youtu.be&a

Be sure to keep an eye out at 8:56

A one on one interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTWfprTiO7o

I kind of want to edit my statement. If my amazon order gets cancelled, I'm never buying one. Well, I'm never going to pay over $76 for one.

I get thw reasoning of wantong to come out with a perfect product and future proof it, but basical engineering principles tell us that there has to be a compromise for cost and delivery expectations or you wind up with a product that never releases and costs too much to produce.

I really want to support Hyperkin, but they come off as lying fucks. Guarantee my ass. They "guaranteed" april.
This is how I feel as well. This is the worst run, petty, stupidly sensitive and generally unprofessional company. They acted like only assholes would doubt the April release, when the history of release dates strongly suggested they weren't going to make it. Shockingly April is going to come and go without this releasing. I get that they want to make a quality product here, and it is appreciated, but they need to stop announcing time frames and release dates. They need to not get into petty arguments with trolls and doubters online, and they need to just focus on getting this out whenever it is ready.
Really, this company seems to be run be people with the maturity of 5 year olds.

I really want to support Hyperkin, but they come off as lying fucks. Guarantee my ass. They "guaranteed" april.
Seems more like incompetence to me more so than anything. Still, not good. I'll wait for reviews to come out for it to see if I want it. I see no reason in delaying other retro purchases anymore waiting for this device. If it comes out, great. If it doesn't, then I still have all of my original hardware.

Cancelled my pre-order.  As long as there's no issues 6 months after people get and use them, then I'll order one.

Yeah...I think I may cancel my pre-order as well. As much as I want the dang thing, all these delays make me very nervous about the quality. It seems like there could end up being many small things wrong with the console or at least individual units. Will have to think it over.

Yeah...I think I may cancel my pre-order as well. As much as I want the dang thing, all these delays make me very nervous about the quality. It seems like there could end up being many small things wrong with the console or at least individual units. Will have to think it over.
I'm actually betting it's the exact opposite situation with all the delays. My guess is that Hyperkin knows that the amount of hype, press, and anticipation that gamers have for this console is a very good AND very bad. Good because people will buy their product in large numbers. And bad because those fervent gamers will all make a whole lot of noise if the console has any problems.

Remember PS4 and Xbone? People on the net were going nuts about busted systems (even though it was a VERY small percentage of sold units). I'm not sure Hyperkin can deflect that kind of problem the way the big boys can so they are probably trying to make sure the thing is absolutely perfect before it ships.

That said, what they're doing now just seems unprofessional. They need to find a nice balance between reliability of the product and the reliability of a company being able to bring said product to market.

Yeah, I guess that could be true as well...

And every time I look at retro games to purchase, it makes me want the console even more.

When I talked to the Hyperkin guys at PAX, they said that the Retron 5s are "on the boat" but they don't know exactly when they'll come in (mix of the manufacturer giving wishy-washy estimates and it might get stuck in customs). Hence, no official release dates, but it's still slated for late April or early May.

It was great to be able to see the demo unit and hold the controller. The directional pad feels just like the Neo Geo pad. Not the obvious choice but it works and feels great.

P.S.

They also mentioned that it comes with a 1-year warranty (if anything goes wrong they'll send you a new one)!

When I talked to the Hyperkin guys at PAX, they said that the Retron 5s are "on the boat" but they don't know exactly when they'll come in (mix of the manufacturer giving wishy-washy estimates and it might get stuck in customs). Hence, no official release dates, but it's still slated for late April or early May.

It was great to be able to see the demo unit and hold the controller. The directional pad feels just like the Neo Geo pad. Not the obvious choice but it works and feels great.

P.S.

They also mentioned that it comes with a 1-year warranty (if anything goes wrong they'll send you a new one)!
Sweet. Thanks for the update.

P.S.

That warranty eases my mind.

Now I'm hoping it doesn't get released until May. Right now I just spent my Amazon credit on other shit, and I spent my money paying the IRS. You had your chance Hyperkin. :p

Now that I actually WANT it to be delayed, watch the Amazon orders ship in the next week or two. I damn near guarantee it.

When I talked to the Hyperkin guys at PAX, they said that the Retron 5s are "on the boat" but they don't know exactly when they'll come in (mix of the manufacturer giving wishy-washy estimates and it might get stuck in customs). Hence, no official release dates, but it's still slated for late April or early one)!
That's what they would tell people when they were trying to come up with a car out of their ass at my old job(dealership). That or they were just fuck ing with them for being dicks.

Not suprising that there's more delays. It's an Android computer that doesn't just read the cart when it wants to like a CD. Flash memory is too fast for that, and with something as slow as a cart, there's always bugs.

Oh good god this still isn't out? I canceled my preorder after the first delay realizing I'd probably never use it. I'll wait for the CAG testimony before buying.

Well this is enough drama for me. I cancelled my preorder since this looks like its not coming out anytime even remotely soon. Might as well wait for retron 6 at this point. Good luck to everyone still with faith...

why are you guys canceling your preorders now? Seems like it might finally be coming out might as well keep them. You've had them this long

Had a chance to play with one at Midwest gaming classic.

The controllers are fine, but the shoulder l and r buttons are gross and feel terrible. The other buttons and stick feel really good. They are like those microswitch marvel vs capcom gamepads that PDP put out a few years ago.

There is a wait when you put in a game while it dumps the game data off the cart. This took a little longer with a game boy advance.

The nes game looked nice on an HDTV, but the scanline option is awful and just don't use it.

GBA looked a little rougher and the sound was a bit off.

Not bad, but not going to replace real hardware.

I didn't know this was the president of Hyperkin.

msiotg.jpg

How long of a wait?

It'll be about 30...40 days.
CARTWRIGHT!

CARTWRIGHT!

Yeah, I was expecting a Retron 5 console. Costanza?

Oh, we had yours. I yelled CARTWRIGHT! CARTWRIGHT! Just like that. Nobody came up. I sent it back.

why are you guys canceling your preorders now? Seems like it might finally be coming out might as well keep them. You've had them this long
Same reason people protested Call of Duty MW2 then played it on steam. It's easy to post on here in anger and sound like you are doing something that is for the greater good, just to buy it later :p

The controllers are fine, but the shoulder l and r buttons are gross and feel terrible. The other buttons and stick feel really good. They are like those microswitch marvel vs capcom gamepads that PDP put out a few years ago.

There is a wait when you put in a game while it dumps the game data off the cart. This took a little longer with a game boy advance.

The nes game looked nice on an HDTV, but the scanline option is awful and just don't use it.

Thanks for posting your demo-experience feedback!

GBA felt off? Scanline options is awful?

Controllers don't matter to me since I can use the old ones, but your feed back is invaluable. I am 100% waiting for reviews on this before I plop my money down. Thanks for the heads up!!!

bread's done
Back