Drclaw411

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
CURRENT DEALS:

$129.99 with free shipping at ThinkGeek

Important Information
​Warranty registration - http://www.retron5.com/warrantyregistration_/
Patch Notes / How to Update (Last update 6/10/2014) - http://retron5.in/?src=98f13708210194c475687be6106a3b84

I've included the text from the pre-order era of this OP in spoilers for reference.
UPDATE 5/27/14: It's real this time. Hyperkin's June 6 release date is happening. Many mom and pop stores that have received their units have started selling them already, and many people who have ordered from Amazon (myself included) are reporting getting emails from Amazon notifying them that their orders qualify for release day delivery and are updating estimated delivery status to June 6th, no longer showing the "we need more time" placeholder. It's worth noting that so far only people who have ordered the grey unit from Amazon are receiving order updates (which coincides with Hyperkin reporting on their facebook page that they had shipped Amazon's grey preorder units, but Amazon had yet to place an order for the black units). All consoles that have been shown off online by reviewers, people who have been able to buy them before the street date, or Hyperkin themselves have all been grey consoles to this point. No word on black consoles. Another note: Chris Gallizzi of Hyperkin responded to an inquiry about Newegg orders by saying that he is not aware of any issues with Newegg's preorders, and they should be good to go for the launch.

UPDATE 5/22/14: Just one day after IGN and Polygon reported that Hyperkin would begin shipping units to retailers on May 22 (today as of this writing), Hyperkin essentially confirmed that. They have announced that the launch date for the long overdue RetroN 5 is June 6th, 2014. In a much quieter fashion (just by responding to a random person's comment) they confirmed this would be for North America only and that the console would launch in the UK in September. There is also one more small hitch. The rumor that the first batch of units would be only for mom/pop B&M retailers and that NO units from this batch would go to Amazon or Newegg has been gaining some serious steam. While Hyperkin has been responding to a decent amount of comments on their facebook page from excited fans, they continue to ignore questions about when Amazon orders will ship. So it seems those of us who preordered on Amazon still don't have a solid release date. Fulfillment could happen any time between June 6th through September or beyond.

UPDATE 5/21/14: IGN today reported that the RetroN 5 would begin shipping out on May 22 (tomorrow, as of this writing)! This coincides with Chris Gazzilli, Hyperkin's project manager, posting a picture on his facebook page of a massive shipping container full of RetroN 5 units. Ladies and Gentlemen, it seems hell may have just frozen over.

UPDATE 5/13/14: Hyperkin has listed the RetroN 5, and it's controllers, on their company wholesale store for authorized retailers to buy. The console (both colors) and controllers (both colors) are listed as sold out. I'm not sure if they were in stock and sold out quickly, or if they haven't been made available yet. Regardless, it's good news that the system is listed for the first time ever. Additionally, reviewers such as GameSpot and several youtube reviewers have received their review units, which appear to be retail units. The RetroN 5 seems to finally be around the corner. We'll see, but things look promising right now. One thing to note: the listing for the console on Hyperkin's wholesale page indicates that each wholesale box contains six units. If this is the case, it would seem to debunk the previous report of the console being shipped in quantities of four per retailer.

UPDATE 4/25/14: While this hasn't technically been confirmed by Hyperkin, I take it as fact. It's worth remembering that NOTHING has been officially confirmed by Hyperkin. Hyperkin has remained silent until unofficially confirming almost all known info in random interviews with various youtubers and forum members. Therefor, again, I take this as fact:

I spoke to Hyperkin today.

Here are the "unofficial" details.

The "end of May" release is a "soft" release. Meaning they really are waiting for the next batch due in the summer for the official real release. Amazon is NOT getting any of the units released at the end of May. Each retailer is only getting 4 units. Retail on the unit is $139.99 and $39.99 for the additional controller. The reasons for the price increase are both cosmetic and technical but if it works as it should then it should be a great retro system.

Our 4 are already taken with pre-orders. If you know any stores locally that are getting units, and you want one for end of May, then i suggest you contact them and put money down. Keep in mind that each store is getting 4 units only for the soft launch.
UPDATE 4/17/14: Hyperkin has increased the price of the RetroN 5, saying "north of $100, between $129.99 and $149.99". Alll pre-orders from Amazon should be honored via their pre-order price guarantee. I believe Newegg has the same guarantee, I am not sure about Stone Age Gamer or 8 Bit Classics. Think Geek still hasn't opened pre-orders on the unit, instead offering a link to be signed up for email notifications as to when it will be available. Also on the Amazon front, they have sold out or pre-orders. Furthermore, it is more likely you'll learn the ETA from Amazon, Newegg, or whoever you ordered it from. Hyperkin has gone on record of saying they will never again announce a hard release date for anything.

UPDATE 4/12/14: After Hyperkin denied the console was delayed again and vigoruosuly shoved the month of April up everyone's ass for half a year, today they delayed the vaporware console yet again. At the Midwest Gaming Classic, they did their annual presentation. They ignored the planned April 2014 release, but finally somebody in the crowd asked about it. The Hyperkin rep said it was releasing in "30 days, guaranteed". This is not the first time they used the word "guaranteed", last time was about April so this doesn't mean jack shit. So maybe it'll randomly show up at people's houses at the end of may, maybe it wont, and maybe my ass will fly out of my ass.

Retron 5 Delay History:
-Summer 2013 (which they continued to say after summer was over, claiming they meant "Indian Summer" or "California Summer"....i'm not making this up)
-December 10 2013
-Quarter 1 2014
-Quarter 2 2014
-First two weeks of April
-April 2014, guaranteed
-Gauranteed within 30-40 days of April 12, 2014
-June 6 2014

DELAYED. ANY UPDATES FROM HYPERKIN WILL COME ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/HyperkinGames

UPDATE: In a recent interview, Hyperkin confirmed that the initial batch of units WILL NOT BE ENOUGH to meet day ome demand. Also confirmed was the ability for the system to act as a multitap. Example: in a four player SNES game, two players could use snes controlles, one player could use the retron controller, and one player could use a genesis controller. Interview can be found here.

Pre-order at Amazon (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Newegg: Black (SOLD OUT) or Grey (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Stone Age Gamer (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)
Pre-order at 8 Bit Classics (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)

UPDATE: Hyperkin claims that they opened up some packaged retail units and discovered some units had faulty pins. because of this, the Retron 5 has been delayed. No new release date has been announced, although Hyperkin has stated the unit will release in 2014 and that they are aiming for Q1. This is the Retron 5's third delay.

EDIT: Preorders are sold out at Amazon and Newegg.

Retron5 pre-orders have finally (about damn time) opened.

For those of you who have been following this console, you know it's quite highly anticipated and looks to be far better than any clone system released before.

For those unfamiliar, here's a little info:

• It's one system that plays games for the following systems: NES, SNES, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Super Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.
  • Two controller ports for each console will be built in with the system. It will also come with one wireless universal controller.
  • Outputs in HDMI and upscales for HDTVs. Early impressions and videos of this have been extremley postive. From the website: "The RetroN 5 will up convert the video signal to show clearer and cleaner images, with vibrant colors on an HDTV with a resolution output of up to 720p through the use of shaders. You will also be able to select the aspect ratio in our GUI, from the standard 4:3 to the HD ratio of 16:9."
  • Features a user interface (dashboard. Somewhat similar of the PS3 interface in appearance, in my opinion).
  • Features save states. From the website: "Most games did not allow for you to freely save your games. The RetroN 5 will allow you to save their games at any point during gameplay, and will feature an autosave feature upon shutdown. You will be able to load your saves at anytime during gameplay."
  • Button reassignment supported. From the website: "Users will be able to program the controller to assign buttons to their preference. In turn, the RetroN 5 will save these custom layouts, so that users will not have to constantly reconfigure the button configuration. This feature will also be available to people wanting to remap their buttons on their original controllers."
  • 100% game cartridge compatibility, without lag.
  • Sega Power Base Converter compatible, allowing Sega Master System games to be played.
More information is here. It may be a bit dated since this was from back when they first announced the console, but I figured it was the best site to link since it also featured some screenshots as well. http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/retron-5-details-revealed-from-the-midwest-gaming-classic/ There is also plenty of info on Hyperkin's facebook page.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and i'm extremley excited that pre-orders are finally open. For one console that not only plays all of these console's games, but upscales them and features save states (either to the cartridge (if supported) or the console itself)...this seems like a great deal. And if you've been following the hype for the console, there is a good chance it could end up selling out. Hyperkin isn't a huge company and this thing has a TON of pre-release demand (just check out the comments on the facebook page). I like the look of the black one a bit better, because it seems to be the traditional console color nowadays. But I opted for the grey model because the black console and controller seem like they'd be fingerprint magnets.

Preorder either color here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-RetroN-Gaming-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00DZIX3CQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1378958043&sr=8-13&keywords=retron+5 or here at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=retron%205&N=-1&isNodeId=1&RandomID=65244712392254220130925161655

Here are pictures of the two consoles, since the pictures on Amazon aren't that great:

Grey:
Retron-5.jpg

Black:
e3_retron5_03550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can probably get wireless versions of the original controllers too. I don't see why they wouldn't work.
Messiah was the only company that made older systems controllers that were wireless that we're worth anything. The seem to be hard to get now. Glad I got a pair of snes and nes while they were clearance at Rhino video games with the receivers when I did. Best purchace I ever made.

This is a fallacy that I'm still perplexed by.

The average going price for an original NES is $30 - $50, possibly a little more if you get one in good condition. The SNES averages at least $20 higher, usually in the $50 - $70 range. There's a lot of nostalgia for the SNES, and the games tend to hold up a little better. The average Genesis is cheaper, usually no more than $30. GBA's are surprisingly high, commonly around $40 - $50 in good condition.

Just together all of those systems come out to around $150, and that's not even throwing in the extra features and functionality that the Retron 5 provides. (theoretically) It also doesn't account for the Famicom and Super Famicom. Import systems are a lot harder to come by, and the shipping from Japan is exorbitant.

I know this is CAG. And I can appreciate reaching for good deals. But classic game collecting is a hobby that is much less about bargains. I personally own all three models of the original Genesis. Last year I purchased a couple of GBAs cheap off of EBay, and refurbished them with back-lit screens. I spent $120 on a single game. (Suikoden II) And I'm still interested in getting a Retron 5, even at a price higher than $100. For a collector like me the added utility is worth it.

Now, I'm not just going to jump on this sight-unseen. I very much want to hear positive reviews first to confirm that Hyperkin has delivered. But if the final product actually does what it says, I will spend $100+ to get one of these things.
Earlier I said I'd rather be patient & find one at a thrift store. Which is infinitely cheaper than ebay. I only go to ebay to buy replacement cases & parts if I can't find them at local game shops & play n trades at all or for a decent price (since chances are you won't get an absolute perfect & complete system at a thrift store. Although I just found an Xbox & a ps1 in complete & perfect condition for $30 all together. Ps1 came with two memory cards, & the Xbox came with the s controller, memory card, & gauntlet hidden in the drive).

To each their own, but I prefer to look for these games in thrift until I have enough disposable income that I can justify to myself spending over $60 for old games.

Anyway, I'm also interested in those reviews. This whole story would make a great college paper for me.

Actually, it does use emulation. It's essentially a ROM dump.

Anyways, it doesn't have a hard drive, but it does have a SD slot. *hint hint*

I have had some decent luck finding deals at Half Price Books, especially on coupon days. We have a retro game store called Game Over locally, but the prices make eBay look affordable. Garbage SNES, Genesis and NES games are 10 to 15 bucks. I've been able to snag those kinds of games for 3-5 at Thrift stores and Half Price Books.

I have had some decent luck finding deals at Half Price Books, especially on coupon days. We have a retro game store called Game Over locally, but the prices make eBay look affordable. Garbage SNES, Genesis and NES games are 10 to 15 bucks. I've been able to snag those kinds of games for 3-5 at Thrift stores and Half Price Books.
If it's the same Game Over stores in Austin/San Antonio, TX, yeah, I agree better bring some lube when walking into their stores.

If it's the same Game Over stores in Austin/San Antonio, TX, yeah, I agree better bring some lube when walking into their stores.
Those are the ones I'm talking about.

On the Retron 5, this article was just posted. During it they state it is not just a ROM dump. http://www.the-gamers-lounge.com/ryan-johnson/2014/5/8/more-details-on-the-retron-5
"To be clear on the 'Rom Dumping', only a small amount of data is dumped from the ROM... only audio and video data is dumped, the game data is still in the cart and necessary to play.

We actually have a video in the office of someone shaking the hell out of a beta unit while testing Pokemon Pinball. Yes, it works :)"

to those of you complaining about the delays on this i just remembered something... anyone remember the Pier Solar reprint that was supposed to happen over a year ago? I just remembered it =P i checked my old emails and account on magical game factory and its still just listed as a pre-order.. what the hell ever happened with that? I see i spent $124 on the damn thing but it never came out as far as i can tell! (Looks like i had the game, DC version, and strat guide ordered)

to those of you complaining about the delays on this i just remembered something... anyone remember the Pier Solar reprint that was supposed to happen over a year ago? I just remembered it =P i checked my old emails and account on magical game factory and its still just listed as a pre-order.. what the hell ever happened with that? I see i spent $124 on the damn thing but it never came out as far as i can tell! (Looks like i had the game, DC version, and strat guide ordered)
Huh, I didn't even realize this game existed. Looks pretty fun actually. And some opened US copies still go for $100. Definitely on my radar!

it doesn't use emulation
It *does* use emulation.

But, everyone completely ignores the fact that with original consoles, you are also going to be spending hundreds of dollars modding, scaling and getting pure-RGB out of them.

An XRGBMini alone is ~400$

did that article actually say releasing on dreamcast to? Lol is there a new dreamcast I ain't aware of?
Previously, the company stated that other versions, including Android, Dreamcast, Linux, Mac, Ouya, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and Windows PC will be released March 25. The PC version is currently on Steam Greenlight where it is collecting community votes to be distributed on Valve's platform.

The Wii U version is slated to launch in April and, according to Tulio Goncalves, president of developer Watermelon, it will make use of the hardware's second screen. The second screen functionality may also be used in a Nintendo 3DS version.

so yep looks like dreamcast gets it

I haven't heard of such thrift store finds since the 90s--value-wise--don't turn your back on the City of (Secondhand) Gold, wherever you are cause you'll never be able to find it again! :bow:
I hear that. I wish I had started going earlier in my life! But hey, I ain't complaining about the nice stuff I've been finding lately anyway. Just wish I had been taking advantage of these great stores before all the flippers did..:/
Still, patience goes a long way. You may still be able to find some good stuff if you make monthly trips. ;)

Huh, I didn't even realize this game existed. Looks pretty fun actually. And some opened US copies still go for $100. Definitely on my radar!

WTF? i need to call or email MGF and see whats going on. Like i said i pre-ordered this shit over a year ago, and PAYED for it. If its not coming out i need my money back or something. Looks like they did a kickstarter or something since then? Whats going on with all the people who preordered the reprint stuff over a year ago? Frigin bullshit

im sure we'll get our retrons eventually though... i hope?

WTF? i need to call or email MGF and see whats going on. Like i said i pre-ordered this shit over a year ago, and PAYED for it. If its not coming out i need my money back or something. Looks like they did a kickstarter or something since then? Whats going on with all the people who preordered the reprint stuff over a year ago? Frigin bullshit

im sure we'll get our retrons eventually though... i hope?
https://www.facebook.com/watermelongames?fref=photo

Well that's interesting it is also coming to PS4/Xbox One. Now I may just wait and pick up one of those two versions. Likely end up at $15-20 which is certainly cheaper than $100.

[quote name="MrBonk" post="11749735" timestamp="1399839155"]An XRGBMini alone is ~400$[/quote]

Tell me about it - every so often I find myself thinking about ordering one for my Saturn and Jaguar, because those systems still don't have good enough emulators (unless I've missed something, haven't looked in a while)

Who's tired of watching unboxing videos?

Too bad, here's another one from Hyperkin themselves.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5mSm7h3wyo&feature=youtu.be&a[/youtube]

Who's tired of watching unboxing videos?

Too bad, here's another one from Hyperkin themselves.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5mSm7h3wyo&feature=youtu.be&a[/youtube]
Anyone doing the contest he mentioned? I for one think his image with that wine glass in the shot is ripe for the meme making.

Walking in that store you just get hit with so much nostalgia its crazy. Then you look at the prices and that nostalgia goes right out the window!

They seem to be charging what ebay prices are with shipping plus a bit more for the convenience of getting it now....

I've never walked into half priced books before and had no idea they sold games....how often do you find them there?

Most of the time my shopping sessions, at any previously unknown-to-me game store I can find that either specializes in or have a modest supply of retro games, ends up being a magical nostalgia tour of strolling by and appreciating all the nice museum pieces. 

There's one particular store where I'm at that I always wonder how do they stay in business? I never see anyone in their stores and their pricing on 'rare' titles is insane. What are there revenue streams? Do THAT many people overpay to keep them afloat? By pricing common 1st party titles higher, can they at least cut a break on rarer/collector's titles? Just these shops existing and being the middle-man just adds overhead regardless.

Being seasoned in ebaying, garage/estate/yard-saling, etc. I sometimes ask myself is their any reason at all why this individual collector would ever need to resort to one of these boutique shops for anything at all? Nay, only for those who don't have/want to put the time doing their own picking.

I figured I should start picking up classics to play for whenever this hits my doorstep, so I stopped by the Goodwill by my office yesterday after work.

What I found was that someone literally must have passed away or just said "whatever" and donated their entire classic game collection as there was tons of games, most of them crap until I got to the "glass case"...

Behind the glass doors I saw (in their original boxes) Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Yoshi's Island.

The excitement didn't last for long as I saw each priced at $99.99...and some old creepy guy was having the girl take one by one out of the case so he could check their resell value on his Ebay iPhone app.

Now I know that I sold my SM RPG back in the day for a pretty penny, but a cool hundo...I don't know.

I figured I should start picking up classics to play for whenever this hits my doorstep, so I stopped by the Goodwill by my office yesterday after work.

What I found was that someone literally must have passed away or just said "whatever" and donated their entire classic game collection as there was tons of games, most of them crap until I got to the "glass case"...

Behind the glass doors I saw (in their original boxes) Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Yoshi's Island.

The excitement didn't last for long as I saw each priced at $99.99...and some old creepy guy was having the girl take one by one out of the case so he could check their resell value on his Ebay iPhone app.

Now I know that I sold my SM RPG back in the day for a pretty penny, but a cool hundo...I don't know.
$100 for each of them, if they're complete and in good shape, is a steal. CT easily hits $200+ if it has the manual and posters.

Walking in that store you just get hit with so much nostalgia its crazy. Then you look at the prices and that nostalgia goes right out the window!

They seem to be charging what ebay prices are with shipping plus a bit more for the convenience of getting it now....

I've never walked into half priced books before and had no idea they sold games....how often do you find them there?
The inventory will vary widely. PS3 and 360 games are much easier to find, but you will find random older titles. Granted most of the time its old sports games for the Genesis and N64 that no one wants. I have run across a few good GBA and GBC carts and the last one I visited had a few Game Gear games including Sonic 2. Some of my recent pick ups with coupons was Simpsons Hit and Run for GameCube for $6.50 and Galaxy Force II for Genesis for $2.50.

Most of the time my shopping sessions, at any previously unknown-to-me game store I can find that either specializes in or have a modest supply of retro games, ends up being a magical nostalgia tour of strolling by and appreciating all the nice museum pieces.

There's one particular store where I'm at that I always wonder how do they stay in business? I never see anyone in their stores and their pricing on 'rare' titles is insane. What are there revenue streams? Do THAT many people overpay to keep them afloat? By pricing common 1st party titles higher, can they at least cut a break on rarer/collector's titles? Just these shops existing and being the middle-man just adds overhead regardless.

Being seasoned in ebaying, garage/estate/yard-saling, etc. I sometimes ask myself is their any reason at all why this individual collector would ever need to resort to one of these boutique shops for anything at all? Nay, only for those who don't have/want to put the time doing their own picking.
Yeah... I really hate every single retro shop I have been to. They are price gougers of the highest order.

Also, another thing that bugs me about the ones I go to is how dirty everything they are selling is. If you want someone to plunk down 3 times the value of a particular game or piece of hardware, the least you could do is give your products a once-over with a moist towel. Or better yet, get some alcohol and q-tips in there and clean the nooks and crannies (and, gasp, maybe some of the contacts too). It's not like they don't have the time to beautify their stock a bit.

Just got 10 new games :D

Box 16​
Rampart (complete in box)​
Taz In Escape From Mars (complete in box)​
Sonic 2 (complete in box)​
Asterix and the Great Escape (complete in box)​
Sonic Spinball (complete in box)​
Road Rash (complete in box)​
Stargate (complete in box)​
Altered Beast (complete in box)​
Flashback (complete in box)​
Mortal Kombat II (complete in box)​