Drclaw411

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
CURRENT DEALS:

$129.99 with free shipping at ThinkGeek

Important Information
​Warranty registration - http://www.retron5.com/warrantyregistration_/
Patch Notes / How to Update (Last update 6/10/2014) - http://retron5.in/?src=98f13708210194c475687be6106a3b84

I've included the text from the pre-order era of this OP in spoilers for reference.
UPDATE 5/27/14: It's real this time. Hyperkin's June 6 release date is happening. Many mom and pop stores that have received their units have started selling them already, and many people who have ordered from Amazon (myself included) are reporting getting emails from Amazon notifying them that their orders qualify for release day delivery and are updating estimated delivery status to June 6th, no longer showing the "we need more time" placeholder. It's worth noting that so far only people who have ordered the grey unit from Amazon are receiving order updates (which coincides with Hyperkin reporting on their facebook page that they had shipped Amazon's grey preorder units, but Amazon had yet to place an order for the black units). All consoles that have been shown off online by reviewers, people who have been able to buy them before the street date, or Hyperkin themselves have all been grey consoles to this point. No word on black consoles. Another note: Chris Gallizzi of Hyperkin responded to an inquiry about Newegg orders by saying that he is not aware of any issues with Newegg's preorders, and they should be good to go for the launch.

UPDATE 5/22/14: Just one day after IGN and Polygon reported that Hyperkin would begin shipping units to retailers on May 22 (today as of this writing), Hyperkin essentially confirmed that. They have announced that the launch date for the long overdue RetroN 5 is June 6th, 2014. In a much quieter fashion (just by responding to a random person's comment) they confirmed this would be for North America only and that the console would launch in the UK in September. There is also one more small hitch. The rumor that the first batch of units would be only for mom/pop B&M retailers and that NO units from this batch would go to Amazon or Newegg has been gaining some serious steam. While Hyperkin has been responding to a decent amount of comments on their facebook page from excited fans, they continue to ignore questions about when Amazon orders will ship. So it seems those of us who preordered on Amazon still don't have a solid release date. Fulfillment could happen any time between June 6th through September or beyond.

UPDATE 5/21/14: IGN today reported that the RetroN 5 would begin shipping out on May 22 (tomorrow, as of this writing)! This coincides with Chris Gazzilli, Hyperkin's project manager, posting a picture on his facebook page of a massive shipping container full of RetroN 5 units. Ladies and Gentlemen, it seems hell may have just frozen over.

UPDATE 5/13/14: Hyperkin has listed the RetroN 5, and it's controllers, on their company wholesale store for authorized retailers to buy. The console (both colors) and controllers (both colors) are listed as sold out. I'm not sure if they were in stock and sold out quickly, or if they haven't been made available yet. Regardless, it's good news that the system is listed for the first time ever. Additionally, reviewers such as GameSpot and several youtube reviewers have received their review units, which appear to be retail units. The RetroN 5 seems to finally be around the corner. We'll see, but things look promising right now. One thing to note: the listing for the console on Hyperkin's wholesale page indicates that each wholesale box contains six units. If this is the case, it would seem to debunk the previous report of the console being shipped in quantities of four per retailer.

UPDATE 4/25/14: While this hasn't technically been confirmed by Hyperkin, I take it as fact. It's worth remembering that NOTHING has been officially confirmed by Hyperkin. Hyperkin has remained silent until unofficially confirming almost all known info in random interviews with various youtubers and forum members. Therefor, again, I take this as fact:

I spoke to Hyperkin today.

Here are the "unofficial" details.

The "end of May" release is a "soft" release. Meaning they really are waiting for the next batch due in the summer for the official real release. Amazon is NOT getting any of the units released at the end of May. Each retailer is only getting 4 units. Retail on the unit is $139.99 and $39.99 for the additional controller. The reasons for the price increase are both cosmetic and technical but if it works as it should then it should be a great retro system.

Our 4 are already taken with pre-orders. If you know any stores locally that are getting units, and you want one for end of May, then i suggest you contact them and put money down. Keep in mind that each store is getting 4 units only for the soft launch.
UPDATE 4/17/14: Hyperkin has increased the price of the RetroN 5, saying "north of $100, between $129.99 and $149.99". Alll pre-orders from Amazon should be honored via their pre-order price guarantee. I believe Newegg has the same guarantee, I am not sure about Stone Age Gamer or 8 Bit Classics. Think Geek still hasn't opened pre-orders on the unit, instead offering a link to be signed up for email notifications as to when it will be available. Also on the Amazon front, they have sold out or pre-orders. Furthermore, it is more likely you'll learn the ETA from Amazon, Newegg, or whoever you ordered it from. Hyperkin has gone on record of saying they will never again announce a hard release date for anything.

UPDATE 4/12/14: After Hyperkin denied the console was delayed again and vigoruosuly shoved the month of April up everyone's ass for half a year, today they delayed the vaporware console yet again. At the Midwest Gaming Classic, they did their annual presentation. They ignored the planned April 2014 release, but finally somebody in the crowd asked about it. The Hyperkin rep said it was releasing in "30 days, guaranteed". This is not the first time they used the word "guaranteed", last time was about April so this doesn't mean jack shit. So maybe it'll randomly show up at people's houses at the end of may, maybe it wont, and maybe my ass will fly out of my ass.

Retron 5 Delay History:
-Summer 2013 (which they continued to say after summer was over, claiming they meant "Indian Summer" or "California Summer"....i'm not making this up)
-December 10 2013
-Quarter 1 2014
-Quarter 2 2014
-First two weeks of April
-April 2014, guaranteed
-Gauranteed within 30-40 days of April 12, 2014
-June 6 2014

DELAYED. ANY UPDATES FROM HYPERKIN WILL COME ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/HyperkinGames

UPDATE: In a recent interview, Hyperkin confirmed that the initial batch of units WILL NOT BE ENOUGH to meet day ome demand. Also confirmed was the ability for the system to act as a multitap. Example: in a four player SNES game, two players could use snes controlles, one player could use the retron controller, and one player could use a genesis controller. Interview can be found here.

Pre-order at Amazon (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Newegg: Black (SOLD OUT) or Grey (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Stone Age Gamer (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)
Pre-order at 8 Bit Classics (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)

UPDATE: Hyperkin claims that they opened up some packaged retail units and discovered some units had faulty pins. because of this, the Retron 5 has been delayed. No new release date has been announced, although Hyperkin has stated the unit will release in 2014 and that they are aiming for Q1. This is the Retron 5's third delay.

EDIT: Preorders are sold out at Amazon and Newegg.

Retron5 pre-orders have finally (about damn time) opened.

For those of you who have been following this console, you know it's quite highly anticipated and looks to be far better than any clone system released before.

For those unfamiliar, here's a little info:

• It's one system that plays games for the following systems: NES, SNES, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Super Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.
  • Two controller ports for each console will be built in with the system. It will also come with one wireless universal controller.
  • Outputs in HDMI and upscales for HDTVs. Early impressions and videos of this have been extremley postive. From the website: "The RetroN 5 will up convert the video signal to show clearer and cleaner images, with vibrant colors on an HDTV with a resolution output of up to 720p through the use of shaders. You will also be able to select the aspect ratio in our GUI, from the standard 4:3 to the HD ratio of 16:9."
  • Features a user interface (dashboard. Somewhat similar of the PS3 interface in appearance, in my opinion).
  • Features save states. From the website: "Most games did not allow for you to freely save your games. The RetroN 5 will allow you to save their games at any point during gameplay, and will feature an autosave feature upon shutdown. You will be able to load your saves at anytime during gameplay."
  • Button reassignment supported. From the website: "Users will be able to program the controller to assign buttons to their preference. In turn, the RetroN 5 will save these custom layouts, so that users will not have to constantly reconfigure the button configuration. This feature will also be available to people wanting to remap their buttons on their original controllers."
  • 100% game cartridge compatibility, without lag.
  • Sega Power Base Converter compatible, allowing Sega Master System games to be played.
More information is here. It may be a bit dated since this was from back when they first announced the console, but I figured it was the best site to link since it also featured some screenshots as well. http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/retron-5-details-revealed-from-the-midwest-gaming-classic/ There is also plenty of info on Hyperkin's facebook page.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and i'm extremley excited that pre-orders are finally open. For one console that not only plays all of these console's games, but upscales them and features save states (either to the cartridge (if supported) or the console itself)...this seems like a great deal. And if you've been following the hype for the console, there is a good chance it could end up selling out. Hyperkin isn't a huge company and this thing has a TON of pre-release demand (just check out the comments on the facebook page). I like the look of the black one a bit better, because it seems to be the traditional console color nowadays. But I opted for the grey model because the black console and controller seem like they'd be fingerprint magnets.

Preorder either color here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-RetroN-Gaming-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00DZIX3CQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1378958043&sr=8-13&keywords=retron+5 or here at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=retron%205&N=-1&isNodeId=1&RandomID=65244712392254220130925161655

Here are pictures of the two consoles, since the pictures on Amazon aren't that great:

Grey:
Retron-5.jpg

Black:
e3_retron5_03550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not his son. He keeps asking ya feel me, ya know what Im sayin. What an uneducated retard. This guys gets a review unit. He does not even deserve a controller to review. What is a HUNNIT? And he was getting beat up by Glass Joe. How do you not knock him down in the first round if you are a "gamer" that gets to review games? He is clearly excited to play the game so he has played it before. This is NOT a credible review one bit.

This is a secretly racist post.

This is a secretly brainwashed liberal post.

Seig heil to you too racist.
I'm certainly curious to see where this is going. It did seem highly critical of you to give the guy such a hard time for his brand of culturally influenced speech. I don't see why his decision to use phrasing that is popular in his community would give you the impression that he is an uneducated retard. That kind of judgement seems to be stemming, for you, more than anything else, on word usage that is heavily tied to his culture. Though not strictly a racist sentiment, it's dangerously close to being racist.

There were MANY kids in my high school honors classes that had the ability to speak as the hip hop gamer does among friends and completely differently in an academic setting.

Anyway, guy, you may want to reign in that prejudice. It's okay to dislike a person's cultural practices. It's another thing, however, to use that culture as a way to assume a lack of education or intelligence.

You feel me?

The term "retard" is also highly offensive and inappropriate. That post was bigoted and hateful in so many ways. I had no choice but to report it.

Well, with one issue, another one is cleared up. Someone on FB has multiple legit carts that show up unknown, including: DKC2, DKC3, and Earthbound. And when this happens, the saves on the cart are apparently erased. But it does not disasble save states. Those can still be used and of course, will not be erased.

That said, the erasing of legitimate save files is pretty awful. I definitely have a few games I wanted to pick up from saves and just continue on with save states. But I don't want to start all over.

The term "retard" is also highly offensive and inappropriate. That post was bigoted and hateful in so many ways. I had no choice but to report it.
I remember a time when everyone wasn't such a whiny pussy. I guess my saying that is a secretly homophobic remark.

To be clear, calling someone retarded might not be very nice, but highly offensive? All it really has to mean is you think his IQ is below 70.

I remember a time when everyone wasn't such a whiny pussy. I guess my saying that is a secretly homophobic remark.

To be clear, calling someone retarded might not be very nice, but highly offensive? All it really has to mean is you think his IQ is below 70.
So you agree with his bigotry? You're certainly within your rights to do so. Just like it's my right to report posts that display such obvious prejudice.

So you agree with his bigotry? You're certainly within your rights to do so. Just like it's my right to report posts that display such obvious prejudice.
Just because you have the right to do something, doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Somehow I picture you as this fine young fellow:

blankman.jpg

Fight on, crime fighter.

THIS......I really do wish I was alive when before black folks were called african-americans and other politically correct terms existed. I swear it is like folks have no concept of the first amendment which exists primarily to protect offensive speech. it is even more ironic when these clowns get on their high horse and report this stuff while calling the original poster hitler yet it is hitler that would be the one that would kill you for speaking anything he did not agree with.

seriously the post in question is not racist unless that is how all black folks speak and even still speaking in that style of language is not english it is something else.

so when someone speaks like that and murders the english language....what do we do? sit by and do nothing? or call him an idiot, retard, or stupid? or do we embrace him and let the english language continue to die a terrible death?

Seig heil to you too racist.
Someone has a chip on their shoulder. You put yourself on a pedestal and then do worse than the original poster. That's sad, and I'm wasting no more time with you.

Back on topic, I wish they would have included a Turbografx-16/ Supergrafx slot. Hopefully will be added when the N64 slot is.

I apologize for trying to help and, now, honestly wish I wouldn't have. I didn't expect people to turn this shit into some stupid issue over nothing.. I'm referring to both, the people who were attacking the guy in the video and the people who were attacking one another after the fact.

Are some of the people on this site always like this? And sorry to Asmith906. I figured the video I found would help. I hope it was actually helpful to you before all the nonsense started...

Are some of the people on this site always like this? And sorry to Asmith906. I figured the video I found would help. I hope it was actually helpful to you before all the nonsense started...
It's not just this site, it's everywhere unfortunately. That's the internet for you. You have to take it with a grain of salt.

For what it's worth, I made it approximately 5 seconds before I stopped the video. I too have trouble listening to reviews by idiots. Is he a moron? I can't say for sure but the first words out of his mouth told me I wouldn't be interested in what he has to say. Obviously this guy has to have some followers or he wouldn't have gotten a review unit, but clearly I'm not a part of that audience so I'll be a mature adult and move on. There's no need to make a fuss about it. I'll just look for more professional reviews. After all, why should I expect a quality review from some random person on Youtube anyway?

If I am not his kid, then I should not be called "son."  

"Thats my Grandma you know what Im sayin?"  There is no need to keep asking "you know what Im sayin" when there is nobody there to reply to you.  

I am sorry but I am never going to call my home my "crib."  It is NOT a crib.  My daughter used to be in a crib but she grew out of it.  

Sometimes it seems like an act that he is talking like this because there are aspects of the video where he does not speak with that lingo one bit.  When he says when she passed (his grandmother) and how he misses her he had no "lingo" that he shows in 98% of the video.  Also, if you watch a few of his other videos (which I decided to do after reading the posts) it is the same way.  It feels like it is all an act.

Its not being racist, I am sorry if you feel that way.  It is your opinion and I am entitled to mine.  We all have them and are allowed to express them.  If I had called him any actual racist name (which are not allowed to be spoken in my family at all and have taught my daughter this as well) I could see you calling me racist.  I could have listened to the video and not seen the mans skin color and would have made the same assessment.  Its not about his skin color one bit.  Just because I, or someone else, says they do not like the way someone speaks, acts, or reacts does not make them racist.  

If the RetroN5 has a few bugs, what is the likely hood of RetroN5.1?  Have they updated their past consoles?  If so I will definitely hold out.  Thanks.

The facebook link above has the rep mention that a Firmware update was coming in the next few days.
This is a great aspect of the R5 that it has firmware updates. The R3 had I think 2 or 3 different "updates" but you had to actually purchase a new R3. The first run wouldnt play Castlevania 3, Excitebike (was very iffy), and a bunch of others. The last model plays nearly everything and most of the sound issues are gone. I purchased one back in December to test the games I was getting since Amazon had it for $45. Having said that, the firmware updates were confirmed by Chris Galizzi a while back so they can update games to play better, update the system, and update Repros to play as well (the ones that are not currently working). I hope they patch it with PS3 controller support. Thatd be sweet.

I have a black and gray unit preordered from Amazon and just got an estimated delivery date of June 6th for the gray unit. No updates yet for the black one. I also was locked in at the ~ $76.xx price.

I have a black and gray unit preordered from Amazon and just got an estimated delivery date of June 6th for the gray unit. No updates yet for the black one. I also was locked in at the ~ $76.xx price.
IT...BEGINS...

Too bad it's releasing during comic con. Makes me glad I'm taking an extra day off at the end of con to recover. Now I'll probably just spend the day playing games.

Got an e-mail from Amazon today that my gray unit (that I ordered on 9/11) is eligible for release day shipping.

I'm cautiously optimistic!

Screw It! I cancelled my $100 preorder. I already own all the systems and bought a small CRT a couple a weeks ago. Maybe if I had gotten it at the $76 preorder I would have kept it. I'll use that money to pick up more games for my snes and genesis.

I do hope the system becomes a success and we get an improved system in the future.

Screw It! I cancelled my $100 preorder. I already own all the systems and bought a small CRT a couple a weeks ago. Maybe if I had gotten it at the $76 preorder I would have kept it. I'll use that money to pick up more games for my snes and genesis.

I do hope the system becomes a success and we get an improved system in the future.
Yeah, I'm waiting for the Retron 52... 25 systems in one, can't wait!

In all seriousness, they'll probably make a Retron 6 with N64 support.

They announced or hinted to the N64 while showing the Reton 5. Maybe some sort of addon? Going back to the Sega maddness?

Or just a standalone unit.

Woo! Just got my updated ship date notice... for Amazing Spiderman Vita... Can not tell you how excited I was to see that email and how disappointed I was to read it. Almost enough to cancel my order for Spiderman.

I got an email from Amazon earlier today that my order (grey, placed 9/11/13) was updated for release date delivery, and a new estimated ship date for June 6, 2014! Woot!!!

They announced or hinted to the N64 while showing the Reton 5. Maybe some sort of addon? Going back to the Sega maddness?

Or just a standalone unit.
Whatever it is, if they don't call it the Retron 64, it's a wasted opportunity.

I got an email from Amazon earlier today that my order (grey, placed 9/11/13) was updated for release date delivery, and a new estimated ship date for June 6, 2014! Woot!!!
I ordered black January 2014.Yeah I'm not expecting mine until July.Congrats.

I ordered black January 2014.Yeah I'm not expecting mine July.Congrats.
If the black one isn't available for a while, I'm going to be pretty annoyed. If there are going to be issues with it, Hyperkin should have let us know that one was going to be finished before the other. Anyway, I've got only the black one pre-ordered and I have not gotten a ship date from Amazon. I'll post here if and when that changes.

So Hyperkin made a facebook page where you can ask questions and they will answer them.

I asked and really only wanted to know two things.

1. What was the design reason for having to hold the power button to turn it on.

A. I'm not too sure, that was handled by the hardware engineers

2. Will the Retron 5 be updated to get Pier Solar to work?
A. Yes

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005440995949

Seems as though they (AMAZON) got some but didnt have enough to fulfill all orders.  They said the demand for this item is VERY HIGH.  I just spoke with CS on this.   They did receive some and have NO idea when they are getting more from hyperkin.  AWESOME.   HEre is the chat below.

Me:When will I receive my order as Hyperkin has shipped the item to you gys last week per their facebook page

Joe:Hello, my name is Joe. I'll be glad to help you today.

Me:I know my order status says need more time, however I know a few friends who pre-ordered this item a few days before me and are getting delivery confirmation dates and offers for release date delivery.  Order #

Joe:Let me connect you to a member of our large item team. It will only take a moment.

A Customer Service Associate will be with you in a moment.
You are now connected to Catherine from Amazon.com
A Customer Service Associate will be with you in a moment.
You are now connected to Deidria from Amazon.com
Me:I know my order status says need more time, however I know a few friends who pre-ordered this item ta few days before me and are getting delivery confirmation dates and offers for release date delivery

Deidria:Thank you for contacting Amazon Chat Customer Service you are speaking with Deidria. I will be more than happy to assist you today.

Me:I am wondering when I can expect to receive the item as I preordered it nearly a year ago. I know my order status says need more time, however I know a few friends who pre-ordered this item a few days before me and are getting delivery confirmation dates and offers for release date delivery.  Order # is 

Deidria:Steven, I'm seeing that we don't have the item available, once we have the item available we will email you the delivery date and the tracking number.

Me:thats the thing is a few of my friends have received a delivery date yesterday and they ordered the item around the same time as I did. They sent me screenshots of their amazon order page as are other people online posting their screenshots.

Deidria:We can't predict exactly how long it'll take us to receive this item or when we'll be able to ship it. we'll do our best to get the item for you, and we'll e-mail you as soon as we have more information from our suppliers.
I'm sorry that the estimated delivery date for this order is not displaying properly in Your Account. Rest assured we will process your order once we receive the item.
When your order is shipped, we'll send you an e-mail confirmation.

Me:ok

Deidria:Steven, I'm seeing that everytime we have a delivery date is changes because the suppliers don't have any in stock they are making more. That is why you don't receive a date as yet.
I can assure you, that you will receive a date soon once we have more.

Me:ok, so you did have some but didnt get enough to fulfill all orders??

Deidria:That is correct.
There is a great demand for that item.

Me:no estimate on when you will get more?

Deidria:No, I'm sorry there isn't a time frame to say when.
However we will keep you posted by email.

Me:ok, thank you for all the updates as those I contacted before you kept giving me no information at all

Deidria:I'm truly sorry about that. I'm glad i could be of assistance to you
Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Me:nope, thats it

Deidria:It was my pleasure to assist you today. Thank you for contacting Amazon.com chat support. Enjoy your day!To close this window, please click the "end chat" link.

Seems as though they (AMAZON) got some but didnt have enough to fulfill all orders. They said the demand for this item is VERY HIGH. I just spoke with CS on this. They did receive some and have NO idea when they are getting more from hyperkin. AWESOME. HEre is the chat below.
I told myself I wasn't going to get my hopes up, but I did anyway. Looks like another month or more wait for my 9/24 grey order.

So Hyperkin made a facebook page where you can ask questions and they will answer them.

I asked and really only wanted to know two things.

1. What was the design reason for having to hold the power button to turn it on.

A. I'm not too sure, that was handled by the hardware engineers

2. Will the Retron 5 be updated to get Pier Solar to work?
A. Yes

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005440995949
Holding down the power button to boot is a big trademark of iOS/Android hardware. It's to prevent accidental power on for mobile devices.

Yup.

Oh heck yea, just got the order update from Amazon for my gray unit (no update on the black). June 6th it is!

FYI I originally ordered on 9/12 for those who may be wondering where they are in queue to get one.

Man, that is some BS...Awesome for the people who are getting theirs, but what was the point of pre-ordering if we don't get them until a month or two after official release?

I think I pre-ordered mine in like December or something. And a black unit to boot =/.

Think I might cancel and resell all the carts I bought.Want to buy a new computer. I lost a lot of interest and patience on the RetroN 5.

bread's done
Back