Drclaw411

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
CURRENT DEALS:

$129.99 with free shipping at ThinkGeek

Important Information
​Warranty registration - http://www.retron5.com/warrantyregistration_/
Patch Notes / How to Update (Last update 6/10/2014) - http://retron5.in/?src=98f13708210194c475687be6106a3b84

I've included the text from the pre-order era of this OP in spoilers for reference.
UPDATE 5/27/14: It's real this time. Hyperkin's June 6 release date is happening. Many mom and pop stores that have received their units have started selling them already, and many people who have ordered from Amazon (myself included) are reporting getting emails from Amazon notifying them that their orders qualify for release day delivery and are updating estimated delivery status to June 6th, no longer showing the "we need more time" placeholder. It's worth noting that so far only people who have ordered the grey unit from Amazon are receiving order updates (which coincides with Hyperkin reporting on their facebook page that they had shipped Amazon's grey preorder units, but Amazon had yet to place an order for the black units). All consoles that have been shown off online by reviewers, people who have been able to buy them before the street date, or Hyperkin themselves have all been grey consoles to this point. No word on black consoles. Another note: Chris Gallizzi of Hyperkin responded to an inquiry about Newegg orders by saying that he is not aware of any issues with Newegg's preorders, and they should be good to go for the launch.

UPDATE 5/22/14: Just one day after IGN and Polygon reported that Hyperkin would begin shipping units to retailers on May 22 (today as of this writing), Hyperkin essentially confirmed that. They have announced that the launch date for the long overdue RetroN 5 is June 6th, 2014. In a much quieter fashion (just by responding to a random person's comment) they confirmed this would be for North America only and that the console would launch in the UK in September. There is also one more small hitch. The rumor that the first batch of units would be only for mom/pop B&M retailers and that NO units from this batch would go to Amazon or Newegg has been gaining some serious steam. While Hyperkin has been responding to a decent amount of comments on their facebook page from excited fans, they continue to ignore questions about when Amazon orders will ship. So it seems those of us who preordered on Amazon still don't have a solid release date. Fulfillment could happen any time between June 6th through September or beyond.

UPDATE 5/21/14: IGN today reported that the RetroN 5 would begin shipping out on May 22 (tomorrow, as of this writing)! This coincides with Chris Gazzilli, Hyperkin's project manager, posting a picture on his facebook page of a massive shipping container full of RetroN 5 units. Ladies and Gentlemen, it seems hell may have just frozen over.

UPDATE 5/13/14: Hyperkin has listed the RetroN 5, and it's controllers, on their company wholesale store for authorized retailers to buy. The console (both colors) and controllers (both colors) are listed as sold out. I'm not sure if they were in stock and sold out quickly, or if they haven't been made available yet. Regardless, it's good news that the system is listed for the first time ever. Additionally, reviewers such as GameSpot and several youtube reviewers have received their review units, which appear to be retail units. The RetroN 5 seems to finally be around the corner. We'll see, but things look promising right now. One thing to note: the listing for the console on Hyperkin's wholesale page indicates that each wholesale box contains six units. If this is the case, it would seem to debunk the previous report of the console being shipped in quantities of four per retailer.

UPDATE 4/25/14: While this hasn't technically been confirmed by Hyperkin, I take it as fact. It's worth remembering that NOTHING has been officially confirmed by Hyperkin. Hyperkin has remained silent until unofficially confirming almost all known info in random interviews with various youtubers and forum members. Therefor, again, I take this as fact:

I spoke to Hyperkin today.

Here are the "unofficial" details.

The "end of May" release is a "soft" release. Meaning they really are waiting for the next batch due in the summer for the official real release. Amazon is NOT getting any of the units released at the end of May. Each retailer is only getting 4 units. Retail on the unit is $139.99 and $39.99 for the additional controller. The reasons for the price increase are both cosmetic and technical but if it works as it should then it should be a great retro system.

Our 4 are already taken with pre-orders. If you know any stores locally that are getting units, and you want one for end of May, then i suggest you contact them and put money down. Keep in mind that each store is getting 4 units only for the soft launch.
UPDATE 4/17/14: Hyperkin has increased the price of the RetroN 5, saying "north of $100, between $129.99 and $149.99". Alll pre-orders from Amazon should be honored via their pre-order price guarantee. I believe Newegg has the same guarantee, I am not sure about Stone Age Gamer or 8 Bit Classics. Think Geek still hasn't opened pre-orders on the unit, instead offering a link to be signed up for email notifications as to when it will be available. Also on the Amazon front, they have sold out or pre-orders. Furthermore, it is more likely you'll learn the ETA from Amazon, Newegg, or whoever you ordered it from. Hyperkin has gone on record of saying they will never again announce a hard release date for anything.

UPDATE 4/12/14: After Hyperkin denied the console was delayed again and vigoruosuly shoved the month of April up everyone's ass for half a year, today they delayed the vaporware console yet again. At the Midwest Gaming Classic, they did their annual presentation. They ignored the planned April 2014 release, but finally somebody in the crowd asked about it. The Hyperkin rep said it was releasing in "30 days, guaranteed". This is not the first time they used the word "guaranteed", last time was about April so this doesn't mean jack shit. So maybe it'll randomly show up at people's houses at the end of may, maybe it wont, and maybe my ass will fly out of my ass.

Retron 5 Delay History:
-Summer 2013 (which they continued to say after summer was over, claiming they meant "Indian Summer" or "California Summer"....i'm not making this up)
-December 10 2013
-Quarter 1 2014
-Quarter 2 2014
-First two weeks of April
-April 2014, guaranteed
-Gauranteed within 30-40 days of April 12, 2014
-June 6 2014

DELAYED. ANY UPDATES FROM HYPERKIN WILL COME ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/HyperkinGames

UPDATE: In a recent interview, Hyperkin confirmed that the initial batch of units WILL NOT BE ENOUGH to meet day ome demand. Also confirmed was the ability for the system to act as a multitap. Example: in a four player SNES game, two players could use snes controlles, one player could use the retron controller, and one player could use a genesis controller. Interview can be found here.

Pre-order at Amazon (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Newegg: Black (SOLD OUT) or Grey (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Stone Age Gamer (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)
Pre-order at 8 Bit Classics (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)

UPDATE: Hyperkin claims that they opened up some packaged retail units and discovered some units had faulty pins. because of this, the Retron 5 has been delayed. No new release date has been announced, although Hyperkin has stated the unit will release in 2014 and that they are aiming for Q1. This is the Retron 5's third delay.

EDIT: Preorders are sold out at Amazon and Newegg.

Retron5 pre-orders have finally (about damn time) opened.

For those of you who have been following this console, you know it's quite highly anticipated and looks to be far better than any clone system released before.

For those unfamiliar, here's a little info:

• It's one system that plays games for the following systems: NES, SNES, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Super Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.
  • Two controller ports for each console will be built in with the system. It will also come with one wireless universal controller.
  • Outputs in HDMI and upscales for HDTVs. Early impressions and videos of this have been extremley postive. From the website: "The RetroN 5 will up convert the video signal to show clearer and cleaner images, with vibrant colors on an HDTV with a resolution output of up to 720p through the use of shaders. You will also be able to select the aspect ratio in our GUI, from the standard 4:3 to the HD ratio of 16:9."
  • Features a user interface (dashboard. Somewhat similar of the PS3 interface in appearance, in my opinion).
  • Features save states. From the website: "Most games did not allow for you to freely save your games. The RetroN 5 will allow you to save their games at any point during gameplay, and will feature an autosave feature upon shutdown. You will be able to load your saves at anytime during gameplay."
  • Button reassignment supported. From the website: "Users will be able to program the controller to assign buttons to their preference. In turn, the RetroN 5 will save these custom layouts, so that users will not have to constantly reconfigure the button configuration. This feature will also be available to people wanting to remap their buttons on their original controllers."
  • 100% game cartridge compatibility, without lag.
  • Sega Power Base Converter compatible, allowing Sega Master System games to be played.
More information is here. It may be a bit dated since this was from back when they first announced the console, but I figured it was the best site to link since it also featured some screenshots as well. http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/retron-5-details-revealed-from-the-midwest-gaming-classic/ There is also plenty of info on Hyperkin's facebook page.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and i'm extremley excited that pre-orders are finally open. For one console that not only plays all of these console's games, but upscales them and features save states (either to the cartridge (if supported) or the console itself)...this seems like a great deal. And if you've been following the hype for the console, there is a good chance it could end up selling out. Hyperkin isn't a huge company and this thing has a TON of pre-release demand (just check out the comments on the facebook page). I like the look of the black one a bit better, because it seems to be the traditional console color nowadays. But I opted for the grey model because the black console and controller seem like they'd be fingerprint magnets.

Preorder either color here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-RetroN-Gaming-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00DZIX3CQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1378958043&sr=8-13&keywords=retron+5 or here at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=retron%205&N=-1&isNodeId=1&RandomID=65244712392254220130925161655

Here are pictures of the two consoles, since the pictures on Amazon aren't that great:

Grey:
Retron-5.jpg

Black:
e3_retron5_03550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit, I've lost a lot of interest in this. I was so excited when it was going to cost $99 but at $140, it's a bit much. Now if that was the only issue, it wouldn't be a deal breaker but it sounds like too many people are having so many problems so soon after launch. From games being hard to get out of their slots to not working at all or having problems with updates or hard to do this or that, it just sounds frustrating to say the least. And we haven't even got to the longevity of these consoles. How will these systems hold up after a few months or a year or two? From what I read about previous models of Retron, they weren't very reliable but at least they weren't too expensive. At $140, it's only natural to have high expectations. I hope it gets better and some of the problems get ironed out but right now, it doesn't sound good. Also, a lot of people say the controller it comes with isn't very good. I have some SNES controllers and maybe an NES controller laying around.

So that brings me to a question that I'm sure has been answered elsewhere but can you use a SNES controller to play NES, Genesis games, etc?

They do say "hey don't touch that button before you talk to us!!!" ...more or less
Those pin buttons are always factory reset buttons. I just like how they were trying to keep it a secret. =|

As for last night I was just being grumpy because I had little sleep and a long car ride from work. I just assumed that an update was as simple as dumping it on a SD card (which mind you I had to find a regular old SD card because my mini sd to full sd converters weren't working) and updating it. =S

Those pin buttons are always factory reset buttons. I just like how they were trying to keep it a secret. =|

As for last night I was just being grumpy because I had little sleep and a long car ride from work. I just assumed that an update was as simple as dumping it on a SD card (which mind you I had to find a regular old SD card because my mini sd to full sd converters weren't working) and updating it. =S
They have talked about it on their facebook a time or two.

"We would like to inform current RetroN 5 users that the small pinhole button located in the back of the console as shown in the image below is used for diagnostic and recovery purposes and should not be operated except as explicitly directed by Hyperkin technical support"

Edit: Another patch just came out

How to update http://retron5.in/node/2

Changes in this release include:

• Fixed problem writing saves back to cartridge for GBA games using the SRAM and FLASH save types
  • Fixed regression that caused SuperFX games to malfunction after saving/loading a state
  • Tweaks to power control which fixes several NES/Famicom games that were previously triggering a "power error"
  • Fixed an issue causing removal of SD cards to occasionally not be registered
  • Fixed small error with button mapping display where + and - on the wireless controller were inverted
  • Added support for SNES CX4 games (Megaman X2 etc)
  • Added support for NES mapper 95

10373705_502346309864860_1143526450046332725_n.jpg

Mine came in early Friday afternoon, I was out the whole weekend so I haven't played yet. I'm also super broke after this, this weekend, & getting my Passport sometime this week. Soon I'll play you, soon.
You have a lot of games over there that you can sell to make some money. ;)

All these patches are great, but I kinda feel like they are pumping them out so fast they should pull back and do larger patches on more like a weekly basis till everything gets properly ironed out.

All these patches are great, but I kinda feel like they are pumping them out so fast they should pull back and do larger patches on more like a weekly basis till everything gets properly ironed out.
Doing slower larger patches would be worse because people would still be losing saves and having crashes. When it's only support for games maybe but I would rather them send through what they have fixed.

After all of their promises, I think it sucks that people who bought the console are beta testing it for all of the bugs.  

After all of their promises, I think it sucks that people who bought the console are beta testing it for all of the bugs.
People who buy systems at launch are the real beta testers. If the pins happen to crap out early then Hyperkin will fix the problem in the long run. I hope they have a good solid year warranty and multiple replacement abilities for launch buyers.

As much as I like my X1, it will be the last system I buy at launch.

I'm just happy to finally have a working system in my hot little hands. Minor bugs don't deter the fact that it exists, it works and it's mine. I realize the save issue is not particularly minor, given that most of the games we had save files for back then were RPGs that we poured tens to hundreds of hours into, but in the grand scheme of things it's only one problem that they can hopefully fix in a reasonable amount of time. For now I'm enjoying the vast library of games I have that didn't have save options which can easily hold me over for months if need be.

That's what kills any credibility these guys had, for me at least. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure I remember their excuse for the very first delay was that they 'wanted to make sure it was perfect' yet here we are with major titles like Starfox and Star Tropics and... other titles that don't start with "Star"--games that most any retro player would have access to--are just NOW getting necessary patches to work decently? C'mon son, nothing like taking the cake out of the oven half-baked.

I'm just happy to finally have a working system in my hot little hands. Minor bugs don't deter the fact that it exists, it works and it's mine. I realize the save issue is not particularly minor, given that most of the games we had save files for back then were RPGs that we poured tens to hundreds of hours into, but in the grand scheme of things it's only one problem that they can hopefully fix in a reasonable amount of time. For now I'm enjoying the vast library of games I have that didn't have save options which can easily hold me over for months if need be.
I think it goes without saying that those saves were gonna die anyway since pretty much all carts used battery backup. Hopefully Hyperkin figures it out so that it works and we can save our... saves.

Has anyone heard any rumblings on the black units lately?
I saw one person on their facebook page say their black console had shipped from Newegg. Dunno if that's true, but, it's something.

Hyperkin (Chris) only said they'd already sent the units off to Amazon. Was he lying? I kinda think so...at least, I think they are stalling/waiting for black units to arrive (on another boat). Otherwise, I think Amazon would've got those things shipped out almost as fast as they came in.

Blergh, I tried running Metroid Fusion and it corrupted all my original save files on the cart :( I was able to launch the game, but upon starting up a saved game the game said that my save files were corrupted (A, B, and C). I verified that the files were indeed corrupted on my GBA SP. The game was able to reformat the save slots, so I think the cart itself should be okay, but we'll see.

My system is running 0.2.2/1.2 and Retron 5 also killed my Metroid Fusion (GBA) saves :( I tested the cart afterward on my DS Lite. After that I tried transferring the save back to the cart under Game options and tested it again in my DS Lite. No dice. Me saves are wiped :(

Guys update to the latest application version for the system. There has been a guy on the nintendoage forums working with hyperkin tech support to find all these bugs and glitchs and test them for hyperkin. For example the gba save bug was one of the main things they were working on.

I saw one person on their facebook page say their black console had shipped from Newegg. Dunno if that's true, but, it's something.

Hyperkin (Chris) only said they'd already sent the units off to Amazon. Was he lying? I kinda think so...at least, I think they are stalling/waiting for black units to arrive (on another boat). Otherwise, I think Amazon would've got those things shipped out almost as fast as they came in.
Hyperkin lie? If they were Pinocchio, their nose would have gone around the world and poked them in their ass by now.

To note for those that are still looking, I found my Retron 5 at a store called Press Start in Winchester, VA. Was about an hour from my work but I haven't regretted paying extra at all. This thing is pretty awesome so far (especially after figuring out the update process, lol). 

I'm holding on to my black pre-order for a friend of mine but I may end up cancelling it if he doesn't want it (was a $100 pre order). My pre-order had no ETA as of last night.

Been playing since launch day my Retron 5 and im very satisfied ,  games look clear & sharp, didn't had any issue updating.  I think this is way cheaper and easier  option to play on HD tvs   than a  setup of  xrbg mini  with rgb in each console. It would be cooler if i could play Roms from the SD card but this guys don't support this kind of stuff.   If you  already have a big library of retro games  its a must have. 

Just got my Retron 5 and damn does this thing have a death grip on some carts. The SNES slot was very tight but after testing some games it loosened up a bit. The Genesis slot is very troublesome as it seems the cart is stuck in the slot. I had some luck by pulling on one of the top ends and the cart came out easier. The NES slot wasn't as tight but is very wobbly. GBA/GBC/GB is fine and had no problems inserting or taking out games. Don't have famicom games to test so I can't comment on the slot.

I'm disappointed with the controller because the stick is too sensitive and registers the slightest movement. Playing Super Mario or any side scroller was kind of difficult with it and I think if they would've given the thumbstick more resistance and a bigger dead zone it would improve the controller. The bumpers could've been shaped better as they don't quite feel right. Maybe if they were concave. The controller plays fine with overhead type games like Legend of Zelda.

I was able to test out some SNES repros that I have and all of them worked but not all were recognized. Here's the list:

The Firemen - Unknown Cart

Front Mission Gun Hazard - Recognized (Game works but hangs when heading to Orobos)

Ganpuru Gunman's Proof - Recognized

Secret of Mana 2 - Unknown Cart

Terranigma - Unknown Cart

Twin Bee Rainbow Bell Adventure - Unknown Cart

Overall I really enjoy the system and the different options available to configure how the image displays and controller configuration. I'm now looking into getting some original style SNES and Genesis controllers. Can anyone recommend some good third party controllers.

Edit: I was able to get Front Mission to work after I cleaned the cart.

Just got my Retron 5 and damn does this thing have a death grip on some carts. The SNES slot was very tight but after testing some games it loosened up a bit. The Genesis slot is very troublesome as it seems the cart is stuck in the slot. I had some luck by pulling on one of the top ends and the cart came out easier. The NES slot wasn't as tight but is very wobbly. GBA/GBC/GB is fine and had no problems inserting or taking out games. Don't have famicom games to test so I can't comment on the slot.

I'm disappointed with the controller because the stick is too sensitive and registers the slightest movement. Playing Super Mario or any side scroller was kind of difficult with it and I think if they would've given the thumbstick more resistance and a bigger dead zone it would improve the controller. The bumpers could've been shaped better as they don't quite feel right. Maybe if they were concave. The controller plays fine with overhead type games like Legend of Zelda.

I was able to test out some SNES repros that I have and all of them worked but not all were recognized. Here's the list:

Front Mission Gun Hazard - Recognized

Overall I really enjoy the system and the different options available to configure how the image displays and controller configuration. I'm now looking into getting some original style SNES and Genesis controllers. Can anyone recommend some good third party controllers.
Did you update the console? Some of those games might have been patched in.

Guys update to the latest application version for the system. There has been a guy on the nintendoage forums working with hyperkin tech support to find all these bugs and glitchs and test them for hyperkin. For example the gba save bug was one of the main things they were working on.
I'm on top of updates, but doesn't help when they release the firmware that fixed the gba save the day after I bloody tested it lol. My poor metroid fusion cart. Didn't even have a chance. I know this thing works meaning no hardware defects that I can tell.

I think I'm going sit in the dugout a couple more weeks till some more worthy patches come out. That's it, I'm going on vacation until July 6th. So far, the games I have yet to get around to test out have also been the ones explicitly mentioned in the recent patches (Beyond Oasis). I hope it doesn't get to being "I won't play said game X containing good saves until I see said game X listed in firmware change logs".

The Genesis slot was the tightest for sure. Pulling the games out from the side seems to be the trick. Also, the NES one felt like it was scraping the shit out of the contacts. The GB slot is super smooth though, wish they were all like that.

Front Mission Gun Hazard - Recognized (Game works but hangs when heading to Orobos)

That really sucks... I was hoping that they would make repos work right out of the box since other clones can't play repos.

I'm glad I didn't pre-order this. It sounds like it's gonna be great, some day... but not any time soon.

That really sucks... I was hoping that they would make repos work right out of the box since other clones can't play repos.

I'm glad I didn't pre-order this. It sounds like it's gonna be great, some day... but not any time soon.
The repros I mentioned work with the exception of Front Mission Gun Hazard which hangs and resets the game on the mission where you choose to go to Orobos. Unknown Cart is just how it shows up on the Retron but still works. There's also a google doc that's being added to that keeps a list of repros and homebrews that work or don't work here.
7587706E-B96C-3D47-1B78F140C3D33DFE.png

My Terranigma repro seems to be recognized now after the last couple of updates. It used to be unknown. Now the game title is recognized, on-cart saves can be dumped/used, save states work. Have not tested cheats however.

So I have to imagine at this point Hyperkin was not being honest about sending black consoles to Amazon last Thursday (why they would lie about it I have no idea!). It only took 4 days from when they said they shipped the grays to Amazon before people here started getting ship date confirmations. I don't understand why they just can't say "Sorry, but they won't be arriving until ???? date." I'm guessing those of us who ordered blacks at Amazon are going to be waiting for a while.................... also Hyperkin is racist.

My Retron 5 finally came in and I have been impressed by it so far besides the bad controller. The system does seem a little rough on the cartridge contacts though when inserting it sounds like they are being scratched. Everything I have tried so far works except for Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt bundle for some reason. Need to pick up some Genesis and Famicom cartridges when I am out at the local retro game store so I can test to see if the slots are working in case I need to return.

My Terranigma repro seems to be recognized now after the last couple of updates. It used to be unknown. Now the game title is recognized, on-cart saves can be dumped/used, save states work. Have not tested cheats however.
Glad to hear. For anyone who hasn't played it, Terranigma is a fantastic game. Also good to see that Bahamut Lagoon works on Retron5, I plan to play that sometime...

But Crimson Echoes and Mother 3 don't work, which sucks.

[SIZE=small]Is anyone having difficulty updating their system???[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]I received my unit today and performed the system update, at which point it told me I needed to do an ‘Application Update’.  I wrote the request to the SD card and went to the website and followed the instructions.  HOWEVER, after I browse and select the “.dat” file and hit SUBMIT, it immediately takes me to the home page without downloading anything to either my computer or SD card.   Please help![/SIZE]

[quote name="ravens52bears54" post="11837171" timestamp="1402594604"]Do I need any specific memory card in order to complete the firmware updates? I actually don't have any random memory cards floating around, only a flash drive.[/quote]

You'll definitely need an SD memory card. I used a microSD card with SD adapter, but same thing, really. Your flash drive won't work, unfortunately.
The food news is that you don't need a big SD card since the files for updating are small. A cheap 4GB card is more than enough for your needs, if that.

[quote name="ravens52bears54" post="11837171" timestamp="1402594604"]Do I need any specific memory card in order to complete the firmware updates? I actually don't have any random memory cards floating around, only a flash drive.[/quote]

You'll definitely need an SD memory card. I used a microSD card with SD adapter, but same thing, really. Your flash drive won't work, unfortunately.
The food news is that you don't need a big SD card since the files for updating are small. A cheap 4GB card is more than enough for your needs, if that.

[quote name="NeoGutsman" post="11838474" timestamp="1402619798"]You'll definitely need an SD memory card. I used a microSD card with SD adapter, but same thing, really. Your flash drive won't work, unfortunately. The food news is that you don't need a big SD card since the files for updating are small. A cheap 4GB card is more than enough for your needs, if that.[/quote]
Ya, it really doesn't require much of SD card for the cheats and updates. Just glad I didn't have to go out and buy one because I remembered that my Wii still had that 1GB SD card that they packaged with the system and I decided to use it since I only use the Wii for GC games since I have a U.

I got three emails in the past two days about things being shipped from Amazon and each time I thought it was the Retron 5....it never was.

bread's done
Back