Retron 5 Coming Soon! GEN, MD, NES, FC, SNES, SFC, GB, GBC, GBA

Doesn't the little factory reset button on the back clear the updates? I'm not sure but might be worth looking into to rollback to a more stable firmware rather than doing a exchange.

Might be impossible though due to having to connect to hyperkin servers for a specific file for updates. Dunno.
I've done the button on the back before and it broke everything so I was forced to do the whole reset thing doing the insane clearing and installing back to default.

I tested the console later in the day and everything I stated above seems to be fixed. I don't have a clue on what could have been messing with it but it seems to be better but my controller port 1 for NES is still broken so I'm still talking to Hyperkin.

Well they are pretty fast (relatively speaking) w replacement return.
It took about 3 weeks to get mine back and they even swapped my grey for black at my request. The only bummer is the $16 it cost me for return shipping post.

Thanks folks!

So checking out those comparisons you linked me to, I gotta say I still dislike smoothing on 8 and 16 bit games. Something about it is just ugly and I feel like it loses it's original design intention and detail.

With that, I'm still interested in picking one of these up.

I'm new and the other thread looks to be dead. I have a black Retron 5 back ordered on amazon (ordered march 27 this year) and just wanted to keep track of anyone still waiting and or have recently received one. I am keeping my pre order for now but wish I had pulled the trigger when thinkgeek briefly had the gray model in stock. I refuse to pay above msrp but if anyone knows any legit etailers that have them in stock at msrp can u post a link? It would be appreciated.

Quick tip for those sticky slots. After a thorough cleaning of cart use a little automotive electric grease with a qtip. Remember less is more. It will provide a extra layer of protection while adding a little lube to help keep the pins from bending.

I'm new and the other thread looks to be dead. I have a black Retron 5 back ordered on amazon (ordered march 27 this year) and just wanted to keep track of anyone still waiting and or have recently received one. I am keeping my pre order for now but wish I had pulled the trigger when thinkgeek briefly had the gray model in stock. I refuse to pay above msrp but if anyone knows any legit etailers that have them in stock at msrp can u post a link? It would be appreciated.

Quick tip for those sticky slots. After a thorough cleaning of cart use a little automotive electric grease with a qtip. Remember less is more. It will provide a extra layer of protection while adding a little lube to help keep the pins from bending.
Books-a-Million still has black and grey in stock. I got a black one from them last week and the system is working great so far.

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Gaming-Console-Black/Hyperkin/F813048014331?id=6052891175002

Code JLB2GN2 takes 20 bucks off so you'll at least be getting less than MSRP and works until the 23rd IIRC. The standard shipping works out to 3.99 and they pack the system very well (at least in my experience). Ordered the system on Sunday, had the item in my hands on Thursday. Hope this helps!

My January 31st order from amazon is being delivered today, just wanted to give people a update on the timeline of when your preorder might ship

My January 31st order from amazon is being delivered today, just wanted to give people a update on the timeline of when your preorder might ship
Mine too...I was out of town for the weekend and was shocked to wake up Saturday to see that my card had been charged for it. I hope the wait is worth it...

Thanx for all the info and replies. Went to order... And the sight went down for maintenance. I swear there is something trying to stop me from getting it anytime soon. I do have a replacement snes coming so at least I got that to look forward to.

I talked to a nice lady on the phone to place an order. She could not confirm in stock or not but the coupon code worked. 123.99 shipped if available not bad. If backordered, I'll wait and see who gets here first or maybe I'll keep both as only the gray model showed as in stock, and I have a black one ordered at amazon.

@choral music, did someone tell u out of stock or were u having problems completing the order online?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank u Hielostar!! The coupon code really helped to sell it with the wifey too double thanks!

Just got a shipment notification from booksamillion, so anyone having trouble ordering online don't be afraid to call to place an order. It worked out for me. Till I get it get it fully tested out I'm keeping the amazon pre-order. Best news I've had all day. And my snes it's on it's way from eBay. Picked up a pretty clean one with controllers and cables for $35. Gotta start cleaning my carts.

Got it today updated just fine mainly just tested out my SNES and GBA carts. Alls well a couple of the more beat up ones needed some TLC but all work but my super street fighter is missing. I know it's in the house just gotta figure out where I set it. My replacement SNES and starfox showed up to so I'm rockin retro for a while. The image quality is amazing and although I chose not to pre judge the pack in controller I have to agree that for a lot of the retrogames it feels weird. I hate that I have to keep it handy to access menu functions. I hope they can map menu functions to original controllers in a later update.

Got it today updated just fine mainly just tested out my SNES and GBA carts. Alls well a couple of the more beat up ones needed some TLC but all work but my super street fighter is missing. I know it's in the house just gotta figure out where I set it. My replacement SNES and starfox showed up to so I'm rockin retro for a while. The image quality is amazing and although I chose not to pre judge the pack in controller I have to agree that for a lot of the retrogames it feels weird. I hate that I have to keep it handy to access menu functions. I hope they can map menu functions to original controllers in a later update.
Any controller you have plugged in can navigate the menus and "down and start" is the default combo for any controller (I believe) to get to the retron menu. You can do everything without ever having to touch the retron controller.

Any controller you have plugged in can navigate the menus and "down and start" is the default combo for any controller (I believe) to get to the retron menu. You can do everything without ever having to touch the retron controller.
Doh! Thanks, still figuring stuff out. Been playing around with the cheats. Some are super buggy while others seem duplicated without enough explanation. Still it's pretty cool. I am looking to get the Star Wars trilogy for the snes. Other than that and the metroid series on he gba and snes (got the original), contra series and some of the castlevania titles I have most of what I want. At Xmas thinking of getting an SD2SNES for my original hardware. Would like access to some of the more obscure and harder to get titles.

I can't get Knights of The Round (SNES) to work.. says "unknown cartridge" .. anyone else?

first game I've thrown at it that hasn't worked out of about 20 so far

Just wanted to say that I received my black Retron5 today from an early April Amazon pre-order. Seems as though they are finally catching up. So far I have tested the SNES, NES and Famicom slots with NES, Famicom, SNES and Super Famicom games. I don't currently have any Genesis on hand and I don't have the converter for my Megadrive games. I will update when I find my Gameboy. 

As has been stated just about everywhere, including here, the slots are very, very tight, but do loosen up after a bit. Follow the advice to use one hand and pull up on the cartridge from one side, it seems to work best. My Famicom slot worked smoothly without much in the way of pull.The singular SNES and NES controller slots I have tested so far work and the wireless controller works, though it feels cheap.

I did lose some saves off of cartridges both before and after system update, so I am going to look into the best way to back things up to prevent this. Luckily the cartridges I tested were mostly recent pickups with other people's saves.

I have been recording footage this afternoon via my extremecap U3 and am in the process of rendering videos and uploading to youtube. I can't remember what the rules are for posting links and such, but if people tell me it's OK I will link to my channel.  Though the Retron renders at 720p I have been capturing fullscreen at 1080p with the sound enhancements turned on along with the scanlines (which I feel are subtle and a nice touch). It looks and sounds great so far apart from Super Tennis SNES which had major crackling and popping through the music (this may have been an audio latency issue during capture, so I will test again later).

Let me know if anyone has any questions or wants to see footage.

Games Tested: Metal Gear NES, The Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past SNES, Final Fantasy III SNES, Final Fantasy V Super Famicom, Final Fantasy II Famicom, Ninja Gaiden NES, Super Tennis SNES.

**UPDATE**  - Less than 20 days later and the NES slot has stopped working. Looking inside it looks like two of the death-grip pins have popped out. Looking into it I guess will have to try to argue for a replacement on an item that is short stock, and if not get in under Amazons 30 day window. Disappointed. It worked very well up to this point.

**UPDATE #2** - Dealt with Hyperkin directly. Sent in my unit RMA (you pay shipping). It takes a few days and they aren't in a super hurry to ship it back, but it came fairly quickly (California to Oregon). Seems like it is my unit just with a new NES slot. This one still has some good grip, but it seems to release the cartridges easier, and so far no bent pins. Customer service was easy to communicate with and apologetic, but having to pay for your own RMA for such a common issue is kind of silly. Will update again with any issues.

To update everything on my end, my Retron still works great. I sometimes have issues where when one slot gives the BS "unknown cartridge" message, so I have to clear it out with a cartridge from another console or else it will keep saying it for every game I put into that cartridge slot. I have since updated the firmware (1.6 and now 2.0) and haven't had to do this in about a month or so.

I've purchased a decent amount of Japanese games for Famicom/Super Famicom and all of them except one have worked on it (the oddball being a larger than normal Famicom game called Famicom Jump II). I see the other Retron thread is still in the crapper even after all of this time but I suppose that's no shocker. =/

bread's done
Back