Return of the Asian bluray thread!

handsome_rakshas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
275 (100%)
Alright, since I'm back on CAG regularly I have to bring back my old topic.

ALWAYS CHECK HERE FOR RELEASE AND REGION INFO!

http://asianblurayguide.com/

A GOOD REVIEW SITE FOR TRANSFER QUALITY (Usually only covers region 1 releases)

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/

TRUSTED ASIAN BLU SELLERS

http://www.amazon.co.uk/
You can find a lot of the Tartans and other releases that didn't come out in the US here. Way cheaper and they usually will ship to the US. Make sure you check the region!

[quote name='junglalien']For Blu-rays
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Region_codes

Region A includes most North, Central and South American and Southeast Asian countries plus the Republic of China (Taiwan), Japan, Hong Kong, Macau and Korea.

Region B includes most European, African and southwest Asian countries plus Australia and New Zealand.

Region C contains the remaining central and south Asian countries, as well as the People's Republic of China and Russia.

23h7p5i.jpg

You need to be careful ordering from Amazon UK because many of them are Region B locked.

You are better off buying the Japanese, Korean, HK or Taiwan version because they are Region A like the USA.

I really don't know why someone recommended Amazon UK as a good place to buy Asian BDs. It is the last place I would order Asian BDs from.

Yes Asia is good.
http://www.yesasia.com/global/en/home.html

I buy Korean BDs from K2DVD
http://www.k2dvd.com/shop/default.asp

There are many places I would buy Asian BDs from before Amazon UK.
ebay, CD Japan, HMV Japan, DDDHouse, Play Asia, etc

And you can't trust the Amazon listings for telling you what region code a disc is. The cases are often labeled wrong as well. You have to look them up at http://www.blu-ray.com/ or other places like http://www.asianblurayguide.com/ or http://bluray.liesinc.net/[/QUOTE]

US Releases for April 19th

jp.png
us.png
Machine Girl
jp.png
us.png
Goemon
hk.png
us.png
Ip Man 2 Collector's Edition
hk.png
us.png
Ip Man 2 Regular Edition
jp.png
us.png
Tokyo Gore Police

First order of news is I Saw the Devil coming in May.
http://www.amazon.com/Saw-Devil-Blu...VQXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299801794&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Who here can recommend me some good new martial arts films? I have been out(not fully out, but only really aware of the big name releases) of the Asian movie scene for the last 3 years I estimate.

I think I have seen the big name films ..by Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa, I've seen both district B13 films, Chocolate, and that's probably it. Is there any good under the radar martial arts films or any other big ones I've missed out on? Did Wu Jing ever end up making a break in a good film yet? The last Jackie Chan film I've seen was the Shinjuku incident and it was disappointing.

I just re watched a few classic Shaw bros and Chan films and have now a desire to catch get back into the scene.

Got my Man from Nowhere blu in today from Amazon. IP Man was backordered though, so I'll be waiting another couple weeks for it.
Also got two copies of the same CD I ordered from them. Told them about it and am sending one back. I was hoping Amazon would say 'Sorry about that, just keep it,' but I don't need two copies and could use some good karma. My supervisor said I should have returned one for the cash though and kept the bonus one. Would have been a nice option but oh well. I'll be honest for once.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']Got my Man from Nowhere blu in today from Amazon. IP Man was backordered though, so I'll be waiting another couple weeks for it.
Also got two copies of the same CD I ordered from them. Told them about it and am sending one back. I was hoping Amazon would say 'Sorry about that, just keep it,' but I don't need two copies and could use some good karma. My supervisor said I should have returned one for the cash though and kept the bonus one. Would have been a nice option but oh well. I'll be honest for once.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I remember when I ordered two Sympathy and Lady Vengeance posters, cancelled them, and they sent them anyway.I wish they would have sent you two Man from Nowhere blus, I would have bought that from you for sure!

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']Haha, I remember when I ordered two Sympathy and Lady Vengeance posters, cancelled them, and they sent them anyway.I wish they would have sent you two Man from Nowhere blus, I would have bought that from you for sure![/QUOTE]
Ah, I watched it last night for the first time and it was awesome. The big fight scene at the end was top-notch. I really liked the main actor too. Really solid movie.

I just got done watching Ip Man and had a blast. So much so that as soon as I finished, I ordered the Ip Man 2 collector's edition, and to get some more of a Donnie Yen fix, Killzone.
It sucks though, because even with Prime, Amazon is estimating that they will get here on the 3rd.

How is Goemon? I like Speed Racer, Sin City, 300, Casshern...you know, all those stylized CG-movies. Is the story pretty cool? What I have watched of the trailers I thought looked good.

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']OH, one more thing...

Yojimbo/Sanjuro Criterion blu for $28.99 as a part of Amazon's Criterion sale. I bought one!
http://www.amazon.com/Yojimbo-Sanju...2Z4U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304050319&sr=8-2[/QUOTE]
Argh, that looks good. Might have to get it.

I wish the old Zatoichi films could get a Blu Ray release, like as a collection. Those will always be my favorites, from back in '03 to '05 (don't know exactly when, it was before joining the Air Force is all I know) watching them every Saturday during the 'Samurai Saturday' block on the Independent Film Channel.
Such great movies.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']Argh, that looks good. Might have to get it.

I wish the old Zatoichi films could get a Blu Ray release, like as a collection. Those will always be my favorites, from back in '03 to '05 (don't know exactly when, it was before joining the Air Force is all I know) watching them every Saturday during the 'Samurai Saturday' block on the Independent Film Channel.
Such great movies.[/QUOTE]

Haha, everyone has a soft spot for Zatoichi! My buddies dad has every Zatoichi film and all of the TV series in a special spot in his movie collection because Zato's his favorite film character. Matter o' fact, I've never seen the 2003 version, and it is one Tadanobo Asano film I've never seen. I know what I'm watching tonight!

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']Matter o' fact, I've never seen the 2003 version[/QUOTE]
Haven't seen it either. I remember seeing it in my local Blockbuster back home when I started getting into Zatoichi and thinking, 'No Shintaro Katsu, no sale.'

So after watching Ip Man 2 last night, I am wanting to watch a bunch of Donnie Yen movies. What are some suggestions?
I am watching Killzone tonight, have Ip Man 1 and 2, and have seen Hero and Seven Swords.

I am thinking I want to see Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zen.

Also, can't wait until this weekend. I got my copy of Beijing Bicycle in two weeks ago and haven't watched it yet. Plus I discovered that I own the first Zatoichi movie on DVD, apparently I bought it at a store for 5 bucks a couple months back and forgot about it. So I am pumped to watch those. Beijing Bicycle is soooooo good.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']So after watching Ip Man 2 last night, I am wanting to watch a bunch of Donnie Yen movies. What are some suggestions?[/QUOTE]

You might check out Flash Point. It's not a great film, but it has a few great fight scenes.

I can't believe I did not read a review of the Killzone Blu Ray. I would have been fine with it if I had known before hand how much grain and bad skin tones there were. I enjoyed the movie though, but was very put off by the transfer. Maybe I'll pick it up on dvd too sometime if I can score it for cheap. One thing I did not like about the movie was
everyone dying. I like happy endings and this one didn't have one.
Will look into Flashpoint though, Fragonard. Thanks.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']I'll wait and see if it's the uncut version first.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't look like it (assuming Amazon's info is correct) :cry:

The original theatrical cut is 141 minutes. The BD on Amazon is showing 126. Dammit, Magnolia! I'm hoping it was a mistake.

[quote name='Sokvichet']Doesn't look like it (assuming Amazon's info is correct) :cry:

The original theatrical cut is 141 minutes. The BD on Amazon is showing 126. Dammit, Magnolia! I'm hoping it was a mistake.[/QUOTE]

Well the version available on demand and in select theaters here is the edited 126 minute version. I'm just hoping they at least have both versions on the dvd. Although I doubt it considering how they screwed up Sukiyaki Western Django by only releasing a version which has 30 minutes cut out it.

[quote name='Mikerocosms']Saw the dvd of it at Walmart of all places.
[/QUOTE]

Sure enough, there sat the DVD at Walmart for $15. I would have pre-ordered it but I forgot, so I guess I'll just wait on Amazon now.

Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen just came out and I had a question for anyone that might have an idea what's going on with it:
Amazon has two versions for sale, a Blu Ray/DVD combo and the Collector's Edition. The BR/DVD combo says it is 106 minutes, while the Collector's Edition says it's run time is 204 minutes long. Both list the special features in the description, but I don't believe that Amazon includes the special features in the run time.

So what gives? Does anyone have some insight? Is there a version of the movie that is 98 minutes longer than the regular version? I don't see anything on Wiki or IMDB mentioning a longer version. I need to know because the regular version is 5 bucks cheaper, but the Collector's Edition has a cooler looking cover. If one is longer than the other though, I'll go with that one for sure.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']So what gives? Does anyone have some insight? Is there a version of the movie that is 98 minutes longer than the regular version? I don't see anything on Wiki or IMDB mentioning a longer version. I need to know because the regular version is 5 bucks cheaper, but the Collector's Edition has a cooler looking cover. If one is longer than the other though, I'll go with that one for sure.[/QUOTE]
I'm not 100% sure but it seems to be including the content on the extras disc. Using this review and adding up the listed times for the extras you get 92 minutes plus whatever unlisted time all of the trailers take up. Just a theory and hopefully someone else can confirm the reason for you.

I just got the collector's edition in the mail back says 106 min feature + 99 min extras

edit: just opened it up the bonus disc is a dvd not blu if anyone cares

Okay, thanks to the both of you. I'll probably pick up the collector's edition, based on the fact that the cover and artwork are more badass and that I bought the CE's for Ip Man and Ip Man 2, so this will go well sitting next to it.

Just watched CHen Zhen, and after such a good run of Asian flicks coming to the US on Blu with I saw the Devil, IP man 2, Man From Nowhere....

What a big disappointment, aside from the nice looking sets and wardrobe, the ONLY thing it has going for it is staring at Shu Qi.

The editing is terrible, the camerawork is worse than a michael bay flick, the plot is incoherent and inconsistent, the acting is forced, and what little martial arts action there is (and i mean little) is very poorly choreographed. This is a drama/action flick with explosions and propaganda, if you are expecting kung fu, look elsewhere. worst of all the channeling of Bruce Lee was not required and comes off as extremely laughable at the end.

Understanding that this is a role that is being taken on like someone playing the hulk or supreman here in the West. There is no background (aside from the war clip at the beginning), so you are just tossed into a story without explanation, events happen without catalyst and the the transitions are very rough. Add on all the things in the paragraph above and its 2 out of 5 stars at most. If you are interested, give it a rental, but dont blindly spend 20 on the Blu.

@RobotSimp, You just saved me some money on Legend of Fist. Wow, sounds like a train wreck of a movie based on your personal findings. I appreciate your insightful review.

I was dying to get this based off the trailer. But Ill pass I guess... Unless it goes like $9.99 or less.

On another note, I just blind bought Goeman off today's lightening amazon deal. Am I in for a treat or dead I just make a mistake?

[quote name='AceBB6']@RobotSimp, You just saved me some money on Legend of Fist. Wow, sounds like a train wreck of a movie based on your personal findings. I appreciate your insightful review.

I was dying to get this based off the trailer. But Ill pass I guess... Unless it goes like $9.99 or less.

On another note, I just blind bought Goeman off today's lightening amazon deal. Am I in for a treat or dead I just make a mistake?[/QUOTE]

just saw the goemon trailer. tons of CG in it and the CG is like poorly made. is the movie related to goemon the game?

[quote name='trunks982']just saw the goemon trailer. tons of CG in it and the CG is like poorly made. is the movie related to goemon the game?[/QUOTE]No, it's loosely based off of Ishikawa Goemon, a Robin Hood-esque thief from old Japan.
It's by the guy who did Casshern and definitely has that Casshern, Speed Racer, Sin City, Spirit look to it, which I really dig. Watching some dumb music video for it someone made on YT, it gave me an "Advent Children-with-Real Actors" vibe, based off of how it looked.

[quote name='AceBB6']@RobotSimp, You just saved me some money on Legend of Fist. Wow, sounds like a train wreck of a movie based on your personal findings. I appreciate your insightful review.

On another note, I just blind bought Goeman off today's lightening amazon deal. Am I in for a treat or dead I just make a mistake?[/QUOTE]

Cool! If you want some real Chen Zhen goodnes, grab this, it's on sale too for 9.99 http://www.amazon.com/Fist-Legend-B...AVIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308364891&sr=8-1

Too Bad Chinese connection isnt out on blu :(

Does anyone know about how long it took after Ip Man 1 and 2 or Man From Nowhere came out before they started getting cheap on Amazon? I'm wanting I Saw the Devil, 13 Assassins, and Legend of the Fist, but I've been spoiled as of last by all of the great Blu Ray sales and don't really want to spend more that $15 on a Blu Ray anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone remembers an estimated amount of time, be it a month or two or more like 6 months or what.

I'm gonna be out of luck though next week. Sucker Punch comes out and I missed in it theaters while waiting for a coworker to get back from a deployment to see it with him, so the urge to see it is really strong. Not enough to spend $25, but I may have to, unless someone has a deal on it.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']Does anyone know about how long it took after Ip Man 1 and 2 or Man From Nowhere came out before they started getting cheap on Amazon? I'm wanting I Saw the Devil, 13 Assassins, and Legend of the Fist, but I've been spoiled as of last by all of the great Blu Ray sales and don't really want to spend more that $15 on a Blu Ray anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone remembers an estimated amount of time, be it a month or two or more like 6 months or what.

I'm gonna be out of luck though next week. Sucker Punch comes out and I missed in it theaters while waiting for a coworker to get back from a deployment to see it with him, so the urge to see it is really strong. Not enough to spend $25, but I may have to, unless someone has a deal on it.[/QUOTE]

The price on The Man from Nowhere was actually cheaper at release than it is now. I got it for around 13.99. Hope that helps!

I'll recommend Goemon to anyone who hasn't seen it.
Finally got around to watching my copy today and I thought it was really good. The CG didn't really seem too overdone either, compared to something like Casshern. It did make me want to play some Samurai Warriors though. I ended up buying a copy of Sengoku Basara for PS3 right after watching it.

Now I am debating if I can spend $20 on I Saw the Devil or not. I watched the trailer today for the first time and a buddy watched it too, so now we both are wanting to watch the movie. But that just seems like too much.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']I'll recommend Goemon to anyone who hasn't seen it.
Finally got around to watching my copy today and I thought it was really good. The CG didn't really seem too overdone either, compared to something like Casshern. It did make me want to play some Samurai Warriors though. I ended up buying a copy of Sengoku Basara for PS3 right after watching it.

Now I am debating if I can spend $20 on I Saw the Devil or not. I watched the trailer today for the first time and a buddy watched it too, so now we both are wanting to watch the movie. But that just seems like too much.[/QUOTE]

It's a great movie, I'll give you that.
Absolutely gruesome..
It's also available on Watch Instant on Netflix too.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']I'll recommend Goemon to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Now I am debating if I can spend $20 on I Saw the Devil or not. I watched the trailer today for the first time and a buddy watched it too, so now we both are wanting to watch the movie. But that just seems like too much.[/QUOTE]
Nice to know. I recently bought Goeman during the amazon goldbox deal. Also picked up shogun assassin, Ichi, 5 deadly venoms, and shinobi. More to the backlog.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']

Buy it now! The movie is fucking awesome!

bread's done
Back