Return Policies for Online/B&M Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here is a question for you..

I bought PGR3 for the 360 about 3 months ago and have played it once since then.. its terrible and it bores me out of my mind. This was bought at Walmart for $50. Do you think I would be able to return it for store credit without a receipt?

I completely forgot about even owning this game until I was looking around my video games the other day and was shocked to see that I actually bought it and it wasn't just a past bad dream or something. :bomb:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Anyone know Sams return policy?Looking to buy a 360 and looking for the return policy that Costco has but I dont have a Costco card...

Anyone else remember when Eb Games allowed you to return opened games for a refund with 14 days just because you were unsatisfied? They used to do this and I remember I refunded a crapload of games I didn't like. Then one day I tried to refund a game and they said they didn't accept refunds of opened games. I was thinking "wtf?" They acted like that was always the case. I checked the back of the receipt where it shows the policy and sure enough, it was different.

If I got something that was bought at toysrus as a gift and do not have any type of receipt....they will not let me return it....Is it possible to take that item to a Walmart if they sell that item there? Will walmart give me store credit or something? And if so, will I be able to use that store credit to pay for a purchase at walmart online? Thanks

hi. i read the wiki and the posts in this thread, but i dont think my situation fits into any of this.... today my boss bought me mario party 8 (awesome, huh?) for the wii....except after reading metacritic i think its crap (yes, i thought it was cool, but my opinion for a game i never played changed due to a review site). so my question is i want to exchange my unopened game for something else, but i dont want to ask for the receipt from my boss (because it would be rude, imho), so where could i do it? it seems like the wiki says i should go to wal-mart and claim the game was a gift.... i notice costco isn't listed, of course costco would have to carry the game to begin with. i just want to exchange it for another game. i'm not trying to scam or anything...or maybe i should just be happy that i have a cool boss that buys me videogames. any suggestions? cheers..... -nick2k

UPDATE--- without help from this board, i went out on a limb and i exchanged it for big brain @ wal-mart 2 days ago.

How about an unopened Wii system at GameStop? Bought it for my cousin and he wanted a Xbox 360 instead. I still have the receipt and was purchased last week.

This should list receipt conditions too, many people get items as gifts and don't want to ask for the receipt cause its very rude.

Here are the ones I know of:

Kmart - will not take ANY return without a receipt, for any reason.

Target - will take returns without a receipt, but it has to be from their store obviously and a current product, drivers license restrictions are enforced.

Walmart - returns without a receipt, drivers license restrictions are enforced too, same as target essentially. It should also be noted that walmart has free 90 day returns on video game hardware with a receipt of course. Most stores don't have this, and Gamestop only gives you 7 days.

Sears - ONLY gives store credit with a gift receipt, since this is not mentioned in the store and is kind of a scam if you don't know about it. If your giving a gift, give the actual receipt, not a gift receipt.

Please save everyone the hassle and give receipts with your gifts, retail stores are cracking down more and more on return policies and it just makes it easier for everyone. Even if you think the giftee will not have a problem, some people get duplicate copies of games and then they are stuck with them.

i came into a second copy of halo 3 and wanted to exchange it to best buy for store credit. the customer service rep said that they don't do exchanges/returns for anything over $50 without a receipt.

i guess i will try gamestop and if they don't bite try to butter them up with a couple of reserves.:cool:

If you bought something that is more than $20 you will need a receipt or the ability for them to look it up.

All Targets have the ability to lookup a purchase as long as you paid with a Credit Card, Debit Card, or Check. Just bring in the card you purchased it with, and as long as it isn't more than 90 Days since the purchase the computer system will be able to look it up and find it. If you paid by check you don't need the actual check you wrote just a check from the same checking account. They will scan the check and do the lookup based on the checking account number printed on the check.

The system will *NOT* track anything over 90 days.

I heard that some target stores (or all of them maybe) are not taking returns without a receipt at all. Of course you can still probably do a transaction lookup.

I've read this but I'm still a bit confused about the used products from Gamestop. I ordered 3 used games online via the buy 2 get 1 free deal recently. Unfortunately, I am being given these games (new) for Christmas. Can I return the used games to the store or return them to the place that sent them to me? Or can you only do that with "sealed" stuff?

I've got a question: I got a brand-spanking new game as a gift that I don't want, and it's unopened, BUT I don't have the receipt (and seeing as it was a gift, I don't feel all that up to asking for it). Will I be able to trade this in at a retail store for another game, or do I absolutely have to have a receipt?

[quote name='The Bowman 007']I've got a question: I got a brand-spanking new game as a gift that I don't want, and it's unopened, BUT I don't have the receipt (and seeing as it was a gift, I don't feel all that up to asking for it). Will I be able to trade this in at a retail store for another game, or do I absolutely have to have a receipt?[/QUOTE]You need a receipt to return the item back to the retail store it was purchased from. Most retail stores can do receipt lookup from the credit card number, if purchased by credit card.

Returning a game to a store that it wasn't purchased at is fraud.

[quote name='shrike4242']You need a receipt to return the item back to the retail store it was purchased from. Most retail stores can do receipt lookup from the credit card number, if purchased by credit card.

Returning a game to a store that it wasn't purchased at is fraud.[/QUOTE]

I figured as much. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

I was trying to return a unopened video game I bougt from amazon that I got for free shipping but they said they will charge me return shipping. I complained and the dude said he will give me a 5 dollar promo code I said okay and printed the labels. Now my friend is saying he will buy that game off me. Can I cancel a return?

[quote name='drunkenxsouljah']I was trying to return a unopened video game I bougt from amazon that I got for free shipping but they said they will charge me return shipping. I complained and the dude said he will give me a 5 dollar promo code I said okay and printed the labels. Now my friend is saying he will buy that game off me. Can I cancel a return?[/QUOTE]

They don't refund you until the game is received - so sell the game to your friend and let the label expire.

Do stores check serial numbers when someone returns a game system with a receipt?

Going to get GS credit and I just bought a new system from another store so I was thinking of getting the same system at GS with credit and returning it to the first store with the receipt that has a serial number on it.

I would just return the one I bought originally but they only take sealed gaming stuff back.

[quote name='MachRay']Do stores check serial numbers when someone returns a game system with a receipt?

Going to get GS credit and I just bought a new system from another store so I was thinking of getting the same system at GS with credit and returning it to the first store with the receipt that has a serial number on it.

I would just return the one I bought originally but they only take sealed gaming stuff back.[/QUOTE]

Yes they do.

I bought 3 used games online from BB and two came without cover art. Can I go into the store and exchange them for two games with cover art?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back