Returning a Christmas present

Fatso2027

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
So, my dad got me a Tom Tom XL 330s for Christmas. This is fine, except I have no use for it at all. Is it acceptable to ask if I can return/ exchange this, or would that be considered rude? I really have no use for a GPS unit, I'm only 16, I was just wondering what you guys here thought, thanks.

[quote name='Fatso2027']So, my dad got me a Tom Tom XL 330s for Christmas. This is fine, except I have no use for it at all. Is it acceptable to ask if I can return/ exchange this, or would that be considered rude? I really have no use for a GPS unit, I'm only 16, I was just wondering what you guys here thought, thanks.[/quote]

Maybe he's trying to give you a hint that you tend to get lost when you go out and that this will help you find your way home?

Either way, I would just ask for a receipt and return it if you don't need it. That is, unless you plan on taking any long drives and don't know where you're going, since then it'd come in handy.

Do you drive? Often? To far places? I mean, personally, I wouldn't have a use of a GPS because 95% of the time I know where I'm going and that other 5% of the time I like to explore to get new shortcuts that I found myself.

Not to mention that in-car GPS things are for tools.

I'd ask for the receipt and think about returning it I really, really couldn't use it.

GPSes rock. I even use mine around my hometown (I used mine to find a shortcut from my wife's office to home, so I avoided 5 PM beltline/mall traffic). For longer trips, definitely. I take mine (Garmin 330) on all my business trips.
If you drive, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how handy those things can get.

You could always ask for a gift receipt, but if one isn't offered, it's usually a little awkward asking for one. Either approach--This isn't what I wanted so I'm going to pick out what I wanted, or This isn't the right one--might be interpreted as rude. And that's assuming he got it at a B&M and it won't cost anything extra (shipping, etc) to return it.

Depending on what store he bought it from, some of them will give you a gift card if you return it without the receipt.
Don't return it to a store he didn't buy it from though because that's fraud.

hmmm its your dad so if you dont want it he prolly wont take it to hard if you ask for a receipt to take it back..... so if you really dont need it just ask and im sure he will accomodate

Ok, I do have a car, but I never drive farther than the mall or work. I asked him earlier, or rather, I kind made him figure it out, and he said he was OK with it. He's still got the receipt and he's just going to give me cash. New 360 here I come!

Maybe so, but than it would probably be better to buy a newer unit than when inevitably the technology gets better and cheaper.

[quote name='Fatso2027']Ok, I do have a car, but I never drive farther than the mall or work. I asked him earlier, or rather, I kind made him figure it out, and he said he was OK with it. He's still got the receipt and he's just going to give me cash. New 360 here I come![/QUOTE]

i like kids that dont appreciate what theyre given.

[quote name='paz9x']i like kids that dont appreciate what theyre given.[/quote]

I would rather my kid get something they wanted than see the gift I got them go unused for years. What a waste if he kept the gps and never used it.

[quote name='paz9x']i like kids that dont appreciate what theyre given.[/QUOTE]

I like giving gifts that kids appreciate much better. The dad needs to ASK what his kid wants. problem solved.

[quote name='lterenzi']I like giving gifts that kids appreciate much better. The dad needs to ASK what his kid wants. problem solved.[/QUOTE]

maybe dad was trying to hint that the kid should get out instead of playing video games?
I mean his/her screen name is fatso, there could be issues here.

the TS came off unappreciatative in that post, maybe he/she isnt, but thats how he/she came off.

bread's done
Back