Review/overview of Hori Multi Pouch & Compact Pouch!! (Also, Mario Sleeve Kit!)

[quote name='Hollow Man']I don't have the ALS GBA cases (I'm a first time Nintendo owner).

My girlfriend has GBA ones made by MadCatz that look like little suitcases, are multicolored, and stack via interlocking bits. They do the trick for her. The plastic on those is a little softer, but that's fine because the GBA cartridges, being made of hard plastic, can withstand A LOT more abuse than the DS game cards.

I just think the ALS cases are a good idea, especially if you keep the charger in the multi pouch. Otherwise the only thing protecting the game cards from the hard plastic of the charger is the relatively thin fabric of the pocket.

You actually need 7 games, because I personally think it's a good idea to keep one in the Lite at all times, to protect the slot from gathering dust. It's a well protected area, so why not keep one in there, so you always have an extra game on the go?

-HM[/QUOTE]

I have 30 of these Mad Catz cases that I'm trading if anyone is interested.

[quote name='Hollow Man']I don't have the ALS GBA cases (I'm a first time Nintendo owner).

My girlfriend has GBA ones made by MadCatz that look like little suitcases, are multicolored, and stack via interlocking bits. They do the trick for her. The plastic on those is a little softer, but that's fine because the GBA cartridges, being made of hard plastic, can withstand A LOT more abuse than the DS game cards.

I just think the ALS cases are a good idea, especially if you keep the charger in the multi pouch. Otherwise the only thing protecting the game cards from the hard plastic of the charger is the relatively thin fabric of the pocket.

You actually need 7 games, because I personally think it's a good idea to keep one in the Lite at all times, to protect the slot from gathering dust. It's a well protected area, so why not keep one in there, so you always have an extra game on the go?

-HM[/QUOTE]

Hehe yea, Phantom Hourglass is a must buy for me.

Well I have the Compact Pouch and I LOVE IT! It is so small, and it can fit all of my DS games in it (I have 5; 4 in the pouches and 1 in the Lite). I also carry around Super Streetfighter II Turbo Revival with me in the pouch. I don't think you can have a GBA game in the Lite while its in the case though.

I think everyone with a Lite MUST get this case, or if you HAVE to carry your charger, get the Multi Pouch.

Also, to anyone who has the DS Lite Hori Screen Protector; is it good? Is it complicated to put on? Thanks

[quote name='hootie'] Also, to anyone who has the DS Lite Hori Screen Protector; is it good? Is it complicated to put on? Thanks[/quote]

Go here.

As for being complicated; the only thing you need to worry about is the bottom screen protector. Make sure you center it, because it's not as big as the top screen protector. There's nothing wrong with the bottom screen protector, since it does cover like 99% of the touch screen. But other than that, it's awesome!

I have the light blue multi pouch for a just over a week now and it's starting to get dirty, especially the white trim.

My black multi porch is teh sexy. No problems whatsoever, and its really the most well-made case for any handheld ive ever bought...quality construction.

Happy I imported it and waited till it was here before I got my lite, which totally rocks. Just wish it was a black one to match the case :whistle2:\

Just got my black multi-pouch. This is probably the most well made and well thought out case I have seen for a handheld. I could live without the funky straps on the back however. They add too much bulk for my liking.

[quote name='Sway']I have the light blue multi pouch for a just over a week now and it's starting to get dirty, especially the white trim.[/QUOTE]

I tried warning people of the white/light colors... I knew they'd get dirty.:)

[quote name='hootie']Well I have the Compact Pouch and I LOVE IT! It is so small, and it can fit all of my DS games in it (I have 5; 4 in the pouches and 1 in the Lite). I also carry around Super Streetfighter II Turbo Revival with me in the pouch. I don't think you can have a GBA game in the Lite while its in the case though.[/QUOTE]

It's very possible, trust me. I have my Lite with a GBA game in my Compact Pouch and when closed, there's barely a bulge.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Just wish it was a black one to match the case :whistle2:\[/quote]

So why don't you just import a black one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000FTQR8K/203-3887403-7082312?v=glance&n=300703

At least white and black do actually go together. They could've released an orange Lite and you could've bought a blue case!

Anyway, I think my white Lite, with my black DS strap (ordered from Nintendo.com so I could have the thumb pad), in my black Hori multi-pouch, all work well together).

-HM

Got the compact in blue w/gray off of ebay. Nice fit. Holds 5-6 DS games easily and maybe 2 GBA's too. I'm sure I could squeeze some buds if needed. No chance for the charger but I rarely need to bring it with me.

I'm pleased, much better than anything I saw in the stores.

RC

The best thing about the multi-pouch IMO is that even with a totally packed back pocket, there doesn't seem to be any additional pressure on the system itself...its as if the case provides more firm support the more jam-packed it is. I personally only put two of the ALS hard game cases side by side, and its almost like even MORE support for the system since it makes every thing snug and taut.

I'm in love (and happy I got black too, in case I ever manage a black DS...it will look so bloody hot)

I personally stick both ALS cases, overlapping, into the mesh pocket, but my girlfriend does it your way - side-by-side outside the pocket, which really packs things in.

Note: she dropped the thing (Lite inside multi-pouch) on a hardwood floor yesterday, and it survived just fine.

Time to get some lunch and play a bit of Phoenix.

-HM

Where's a good place to buy a black multi pouch? Are they sold out most everywhere?

I guess I could just buy a light blue one from play-asia. If I ordered this week would I definitely have it by the end of July?

I got mine from Play-Asia. I imagine if they're still out of stock, they will get some back in fairly soon.

-HM

Does anyone know if the Mario pouch can store anything else? All I want is something really compact and decent looking which the mario case seems to be (along with the cleaning cloth), but I'd also like if it could fit an extra game or two.

I have a red mario case for one of my DS - and in my pocket (i'm in ny, and it's humid) it has started turning my DS red. Don't by this case in anything but white!!! - the dye in the neoprene rubs off!

Thanks for the review! If I didn't get the E3-exclusive case, I'd consider Hori stuff. But I'm very happy with my invisibleShield+E3 case+hard game cases combo :)

[quote name='linkycat']I have a red mario case for one of my DS - and in my pocket (i'm in ny, and it's humid) it has started turning my DS red. Don't by this case in anything but white!!! - the dye in the neoprene rubs off![/quote]

I can verify this as well (a friend of mine can too). It didn't turn my entire DS red, but the rubber stoppers (next to the ds game slot) have turned off-white (sort of yellow-reddish). It's not bad or anything though. So if you do pick this one up, make sure it's the white one. Also I've heard if you throw the blue or red one in the washer a couple of times, it prevents the dye from leaving marks on your DS. I haven't tried this though, so I cannot verify this technique.

If a mod or Vinny can add this little rant at the end of the Mario Sleeve Kit review, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Thanks Ma12kez, IMA KILL YOU!

haha, yeah, well I dunno if it was exactly the red dye that rubbed onto my rubber stoppers like Ma12kez said, it could've been like that before... I'm not entirely sure.

But, just in case, can someone verify the true color of those rubber stoppers near the ds slot? [So you can ease some of those uberperfectionists? Even if it's stained, I'm not going to worry about it, i mean, that spot is 99% supposed to get dirty anyway. Hardly something to complain about, I'd say.

What is it with you nancies and the insistence on neutral colors? It's not as if going with black will make it look any less metrosexual when you whip out a video game system from a zippered man-purse. Everybody knows that real men use Hemingway novels and magazines about tits and guns as their portable entertainment. You're not fooling anybody. You're better off doing what I did and getting a case in an expressive, vibrant color like royal blue. Weak men may scoff at you but you can easily shut them up with fisticuffs, and when women see that you're not afraid to wear your "true colors," so to speak, and be outward with the fact that you carry a toy with you at all times, they will cling to your jock like like like on Link. Of course, I'm still waiting for this last part to happen to me... but it will, I swear. Just you wait.

[quote name='Stuka']Nice review. I have to admit, the Compact Pouch doesn't have a lot of storage. But personally, I don't find it a problem because I like to store my games seperately in these hard cases anyway.

2342342342340171tz.jpg
[/quote]

Oh snap, where did you buy these cases?

Thanks for all the reviews. I think I'm going with the Mario one (in white, of course) because I just want it to fit over the DSL and into my pocket. I may even throw it in the wash a few times to be safe.

How do those 3-pack cases work. Do you have to "snap" the DS into the compartments or is it like regular DS game cases where there is a little "lever?"

Ordered a gray one from play-asia last week and it got to me within a week of placing my order. Very impressed with that.

My current plan for long hauls is to use the multi pouch for the lite and the games I'm mainly playing. Then use a crappier case I have for the charger and most of the rest of my games - so I'll generally just leave that packed away until I need to recharge. Should work very well.

I got a black compact pouch and a light blue multi-pouch for about $35 total (Not including shipping, I bought some other stuff too) from ncsxshop.com. They are located in New York, and if you order it before 5 PM, they ship the stuff same day. So I ordered it monday and got it today for about $9 shipping on a $100 order. I'd say that isn't too bad.

Thanks for the reviews, it really helped when I was looking for a new case, but I couldn't decide which one :p

I still have my Blue Compact Pouch, which is still in perfect condition, but I now have so many games that I had to buy some 6 game case holder, yet I still have 3 games that I can't put anywhere. I'm just crossing my fingers that there's an update on the Penguin United 24 game case.

[quote name='halu102']But, just in case, can someone verify the true color of those rubber stoppers near the ds slot?[/QUOTE]
I have a white DS Lite which is about a month old and my rubber stoppers are bright white, the exact same white as the plastic they are connected to.

bread's done
Back