Rhino Video Games no more?

CaptPete

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I was heading over to my local (Utah) Rhino video games to take advantage of their `trade 2 get 1 (new game) free' deal, and the storefront was all closed up, with butcher paper in the windows. There was a sign saying something like `sorry that this location is closed, if you've got credit at this store, send in the slip and we'll refund the money.' I went to another location and it looked exactly the same. =(

It would appear that most (if not all), of the Utah stores are closed. Has anyone else in another state have any information about their local store?

(Edit) I just found this from November(!):

http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6282446

Basically it says that Blockbuster was gushing red ink and looking to sell off their smaller chains and consolidate their remaining stores.

Two interesting sentences:

"Also on the block is the 40-store game specialty chain Blockbuster acquired last year, Rhino Video Games, along with its Game Station chain in the U.K. and its Xtravision video store subsidiary in Ireland."

(and)

"The company’s Game Rush store-in-store departments also are targeted for cutbacks, with underperforming locations likely to close."

I was just in there last week. =( The guy that I generally see and talk to was in the back the whole time and never said anything to me. He seemed pretty stressed out, but I didn't think much about it at the time. What's ironic/sucks is that most of the pople that worked in this particular Rhino used to work at an EB in a mall that was closed. Weird. I saw one of the other guys that worked there applying for a job at a Gamecrazy the week before that.

I'll admit that their used prices generally sucked a bit, but usually that worked out great for the trade 2 get 1 free deal! =) They never did let you just get $49.99 credit for the trade though; they always made you take a new game. Oh well...time to round up my credit slips and hope that they actually give me money for them.

I went yesterday.. mine was open, though it was dead and the employees were very unfriendly.

I've been unhappy with them as of late - you can no longer trade 2 and get 1 free on items not yet released, they have to be in the store at the time you do the trade.

Rhino has always sucked, at least here... they had four employees at one time to work a store about the same size as Gamestop when I went, and they were VERY overpriced on everything they sold.

Only good thing was that they sold used strategy guides for $1.99.

There used to be a Rhino in my town when I was about eight or nine. The biggest dickhead on Earth worked there, all their shit was overpriced, and the guy would charge people to play N64 games. I'm glad it's gone, fuck that guy, I hope he's in a state of extreme poverty or dead - seriously.

Mine has very nice employees and a great sellection of games compared to anywhere else.

I got some good deals when I went.

Idk if mines still open.

might have a great selection, but it has horrible prices. still, i wish i had one close to take advantage of that trade 2 get 1 deal. i've never tried that out.

Is it true Rhino is owned by Blockbuster? If so they would be better off converting them to Gamerush. Probably will never happen due to the cost, if they build a stand alone they have to pay for rent, utilities, payroll etc. If they build onto an existin Blockbuster all they pay is payroll and everything else goes towards profit.

[quote name='neudog']Is it true Rhino is owned by Blockbuster? If so they would be better off converting them to Gamerush. Probably will never happen due to the cost, if they build a stand alone they have to pay for rent, utilities, payroll etc. If they build onto an existin Blockbuster all they pay is payroll and everything else goes towards profit.[/QUOTE]

Converting them to Gamerush would make them more of a shittier store then they already are.

[quote name='argyle']Mine's still there afaik - I guess I'll find out tomorrow at lunch. I'll be most unhappy if it closes...[/quote]

Yeah what he said - It would suck if out Rhino closes - they are the only place around that still has the old school stuff

I don't know what you guys are talking about with the prices either. I'd say on average they're about the same as EB/GS - a few higher, a few lower. Biggest thing is that new releases can be had for $20 or less if you're good at getting games to trade for the 2-for-1 deal.

And to whoever said that Rhino no longer lets you 2-for-1 on unreleased games - they do, that must just be some ass employees at your store. I do it all the time.

That would suck, I actually like them for the 2 for one deal... how else could I score copies of KH2, Rez, Gitaroo Man, Disgaea, Grandia 3... etc for about 20 dollars or less worth of used games... I never bought too much from them straight up though

The one near my place JUST opened a matter of weeks ago, still have the grand opening sign up... and at least they dont nag me there like they do at GS especially...

Thats really kind of wierd, it makes me kind of sad in a way... let me explain.

Rhino video Games started out in a grocery video rental section (Video plus) when I was 7-8. I rented a gamepro with the simpsons on the cover and ninja gaiden from them once, they let you rent anything. =) They opened the first store in Ocala, FL... my hometown when I was 9, and I used to spend my summer there playing video games when I was 12-13. I was poor, and had no where better to go for the summer, and Rhino's was next door to my moms work which was Shoney's at the time. I became their little mascot of the store, as I was ALWAYS there.

When I turned 16 it was my first job, and it was bad luck at the time, as I got fired after 9 months, cause everyone was stealing and they wanted new staff. But everyone still called me, and I still used to smoke weed with the owner of the chain in the back of the Ocala store while listening to Depeche Mode.

Now I'm 25 and they're fucking everywhere, and I recently decided to give up gaming because my girlfriend of 4 years cheated on me. And with Rhino Video Games dying, its the end of a part of me. I dont ever go there anymore, cause I dont live near any, but I still go to the Ocala one from time to time when I visit my family. But wow, I almost feel like its perfectly timed here.

I know everyone on this wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhino_Video_Games

Also, something odd to add to this, I was the reason they started selling imports and wall scrolls. I was 16-17 and practically begging Mike (the owner) to carry anime and imports and stuff. He said it wasnt possible at the time, and then I told him that it wasnt THAT popular right now, but put a couple wall scrolls on these walls, and see if they sell. I picked out the first 4 of them.

[quote name='argyle']And to whoever said that Rhino no longer lets you 2-for-1 on unreleased games - they do, that must just be some ass employees at your store. I do it all the time.[/QUOTE]

No, they don't. The policy was changed a week or two ago. I know, I did it all the time too, that's how I got 8 out of my 10 360 games. You may just have employees that don't care at your store. Prices also went up - most games that were >$15.99 are now $17.99 (like EB/GS). Interestingly enough, most 360 used games got a price drop, as Kameo, PD:Z and PGR3 used are $30.99.

Maybe they're just closing the poor performing stores?

Hmm. Well, hopefully I'll hear back from Rhino about what's going on, but it seems like maybe they're just consolidating their store base and not completely shutting down (well, other than Utah). I noticed last night on their `Find a Store' map that all of their Iowa stores and most of their Colorado stores say ``Sorry...this Rhino video Games location is closed.'

I really do feel sad though. As zman73 noted, it was a great place to get brand new at-release games for ~$20. In fact, I was heading there to pick up Atelier Iris 2 and Chibi-Robot at the time. =( With the EB/Gamestop merger, and FYE/Wherehouse dropping most of their trade-ins (especially on older games), Rhino was the main place that I'd go anymore.

What sucks is that Rhino is owned by Blockbuster and we've all seen how well they know how to run a videogame store. Here's hoping they keep their incapable hands off and let the Rhino people run Rhino.

if it was that one in Orem/Provo area.. i went there while it had some rare titles.. the prices were so outrageous.. (especially for disc only PSone or NES games).. didn't see anything I had to have at that store.. in the Provo/Orem area.. it has 3 great used game stores (the GS at University mall, the GS in springville, and the EB at provo towne mall) so it was no big loss.

The 2F1 deal is still going on. I just got 2k6 there last week, and the website still has the sign. Some locations may not be doing it, but as a company they still are.

CO, UT and IA are all closed. It looks like they are consolidating back to the SE again.

Their prices on N64, SNES and DC games usually suck, but that's supply and demand. They are one of the few left to still sell them. I love their 2F1 deal, best part about them.

Heard a wild rumor that Gamestop might buy them. Get even bigger. Like I said wild RUMOR.

hell i like them, i traded in 50 dc games and got 300 in store credit, more then anywhere else. i also like the 1.99 guides picked up morrowind for 1.99

[quote name='Scorch']No, they don't. The policy was changed a week or two ago. I know, I did it all the time too, that's how I got 8 out of my 10 360 games. You may just have employees that don't care at your store. Prices also went up - most games that were >$15.99 are now $17.99 (like EB/GS). Interestingly enough, most 360 used games got a price drop, as Kameo, PD:Z and PGR3 used are $30.99.[/quote]

The policy wasn't changed, you found an ass employee/store manager. That policy doesn't go away. There are 3-4 promos that Rhino ALWAYS runs, and that is one of them. The manager there probably doesn't realize that, because they were told to put up another promotion to draw attention to something else, it doesn't mean the trade 2 get 1 deal ends.

[quote name='neocisco']What sucks is that Rhino is owned by Blockbuster and we've all seen how well they know how to run a videogame store. Here's hoping they keep their incapable hands off and let the Rhino people run Rhino.[/quote]

Despite the fact that Rhino is owned by Blockbuster, they have retained all of their policies and procedures. Blockbuster buying out Rhino did not, does not, and will not (actually should not.. you never know) affect Rhino at all. Rhino still has its own corporate office, in Gainesville, FL, still has its own purchasing and distribution departments, and still has full control over all its stores. Blockbuster bought Rhino to learn how to sell games. Plain and simple. Rhino knows what its doing, and Blockbuster wants to figure it out.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']might have a great selection, but it has horrible prices. still, i wish i had one close to take advantage of that trade 2 get 1 deal. i've never tried that out.[/quote]
As for this.. Rhino does get beat on several used prices... but before you start bashing them for it, look at what the trade in value on them is. Rhino gives more credit on games than virtually any other company. It usually beats other stores on trade-in value AND resale value.
I'm still left wondering if Rhino is going to end up going out of business. They just opened one in my hometown of College Station, TX, and then 1 month later closed the only other 3 stores in Texas. No notice to the employees... the district manager just showed up with a crew, closed the store, packed everything up, and left. Its a horrible way to treat your employees. Loss prevention or not, its WRONG. I can't find anything anywhere about it, and the employees don't know anything about it. Seems no one but the high ups know what's going on, and they're keeping tight lips. If anyone knows anything substantial about what's going on with the company, please drop a line and let all of us know.

I am surprised how many people took time to post about Rhino. A year ago any Rhino topic would be between the same 3 Cager's. You either love them or hate them, just like every other video chain. Personally I would always take the GR credit find a few qualifying games (2 for 1 standard Rhino promo) at GR for $6-10 used each. For awhile I was trading bloodrayne 2/ conflict vietnam in every week for a new game at the cost of $15 credit at GR to pick them up. I would even plan a route out to stop at multiple locations while going out to visit a client in buford. I haven't checked lately, but I am sure there are still games at GR for $9, which qualify for the deal. The old rule of thumb was if it sold for $24.99 used at Rhino it would qualify. I always used to double check before picking up the titles.

We all know blockbuster has had a foot in the grave for about 2 years now. Basically stallling chapter 11 1 more quarter or unless they find some morn to merge or purchase some of their assets. End of last year they put just about every division up for sale and put the cross hairs on Mr.Movies, Movie Trading Company, and Video King. I am not sure how many of the latter 3 chains still have stores left. I know movie trading company went from 40 in Dec. to about 10 in Feb. As everyone has noticed the closing of several Rhino stores seems to follow this pattern of other chains. Consolidate stores in to smaller regions in a final attempt to find someone to purchase them.

So what is this trade 2 get a new game for free thing?? Sounds like a deal WAY better than anything GR has had. And yet we blame GR's great deals for running them into the ground. How could Rhino last with that deal going on? Is it trade any 2 used games and get a $50 game for free, or is there some sort of limit? I know I saw a link about this somewhere on CAG but I have too spotty of a connection now to search for it.

Neocisco - if I had known there was a Rhino in Atlanta I would have gone there for the deal instead of wasting my time running around to Gamerush. But you are pretty damn lucky to have both in the same town! Same for you Roufuss, though you apparently don't appreciate it :D.

Edit - Just saw kjaburn's post after writing this - so it's $24.99 and up games. Still, he illustrates my point. Having both Rhino and GR in the same area (and by the way kjaburn, I was in Buford Thursday!) would be game trading heaven. Use cheap TRU/CC/whatever games to build up GR credit at 50% the cost. Then use that to buy $15 worth of games to turn into a new $50 game at Rhino. Total cost of new game - about $7. Very nice. Though it would seem that it would help GR and hurt Rhino :D.

[quote name='io'] Just saw kjaburn's post after writing this - so it's $24.99 and up games. Still, he illustrates my point. Having both Rhino and GR in the same area (and by the way kjaburn, I was in Buford Thursday!) would be game trading heaven. Use cheap TRU/CC/whatever games to build up GR credit at 50% the cost. Then use that to buy $15 worth of games to turn into a new $50 game at Rhino. Total cost of new game - about $7. Very nice. Though it would seem that it would help GR and hurt Rhino :D.[/quote]

Last year is when it was great for swapping in the Atlanta Market. Taking account blockbuster owned companies alone you could do it all day between GR and Rhino, we had 6 Movie Trading Company's as well (before blockbuster closed them). MTC paid cash or 150% for trade if I remember correctly. TRU green tag made for some fun times. Every game received different trade in prices at each place. You start throwing in wherehouse, gamestop, ebgames, fye, cdwarehouse, etc. you could have made it a full time job.

Rhino 2 for 1 deal has been going on for years. The exact deal is trade 2 games in that receive $15 credit (usually games priced $24.99 up all qualify) and you can select and game up to $49.99 in the store. I believe someone mentioned it had they would no longer let you use it for a preorder, but you could go in there the day it comes out. There is no credit though so you are better off selecting a new release, but you can choose a used game. I however did pick up a used game on occasion when it was a out of print title selling at a high used price maverl vs capcom ps2 comes to mind. Keeping in mind there is no credit you have to basically be ready to get something if you find games that qualify since there pricing is updated often. I would sometimes just continue the cycle back then if there wasn't a game I wanted right away. For instance just pick a new release title i could get $40 credit at GR or $30 cash at MTC for.

I haven't really done the 2 for 1 since november last year so I don't know if its still that easy. I wouldn't mind trying to get Odama or a few others right now so if anyone knows of some easy qualifying games let me know.

Odama was the one I was thinking of as well. I would have done that if I had known about Rhino and had a bit more time on my trip (I really only had one evening and spent that trying to check out the GR clearance sales - found a few things anyway).

I actually had Odama preordered at my GR and it finally came in just last week. But I returned it because the box was completely crushed - and also so I could get $49.99 in credit :D. I figured I could pick it up cheaper eventually anyway.

[quote name='kjauburn']Last year is when it was great for swapping in the Atlanta Market. Taking account blockbuster owned companies alone you could do it all day between GR and Rhino, we had 6 Movie Trading Company's as well (before blockbuster closed them). MTC paid cash or 150% for trade if I remember correctly. TRU green tag made for some fun times. Every game received different trade in prices at each place. You start throwing in wherehouse, gamestop, ebgames, fye, cdwarehouse, etc. you could have made it a full time job.

Rhino 2 for 1 deal has been going on for years. The exact deal is trade 2 games in that receive $15 credit (usually games priced $24.99 up all qualify) and you can select and game up to $49.99 in the store. I believe someone mentioned it had they would no longer let you use it for a preorder, but you could go in there the day it comes out. There is no credit though so you are better off selecting a new release, but you can choose a used game. I however did pick up a used game on occasion when it was a out of print title selling at a high used price maverl vs capcom ps2 comes to mind. Keeping in mind there is no credit you have to basically be ready to get something if you find games that qualify since there pricing is updated often. I would sometimes just continue the cycle back then if there wasn't a game I wanted right away. For instance just pick a new release title i could get $40 credit at GR or $30 cash at MTC for.

I haven't really done the 2 for 1 since november last year so I don't know if its still that easy. I wouldn't mind trying to get Odama or a few others right now so if anyone knows of some easy qualifying games let me know.[/QUOTE]

At my Rhino, it is any game that trades in for 10 credit and above... those are the games they sell for 24.99... we just got 3 Rhinos on the past 6 months... love that store... they have a buy 2 get one deal now good on anything used... even 360 games... the trade 2 for one has allowed me to score alot of great titles new titles for 20 bucks and under... and they dont fucking ask me if I have trade ins every time I set foot in their store (you hear me Gamestop)

My choices here are limited between GS/EB and Rhino... period... and I much prefer Rhino

Actually, the policy WAS changed, it all depends on how your store director runs the store. Most won't care and will still allow you to prebook titles.

I e-mailed a friend that's higher up in the chain at Rhino and he said that there's no buyout and they aren't closing down.. the stores that were shut down were just poor performing stores, like I thought.

Rhino 2 for 1 deal has been going on for years. The exact deal is trade 2 games in that receive $15 credit (usually games priced $24.99 up all qualify) and you can select and game up to $49.99 in the store.

$10 credit, not $15. Everything else is right.

There is no credit though so you are better off selecting a new release, but you can choose a used game.

Credit in general or credit for the 2 for 1? You can use credit.. it's an exploit, but it does work. Just get a new game then return it (per the 'you have 7 days to return it if it sucks'). You'll either get $50 in credit, or $50 in credit and someone writing "2 FOR 1 DEAL" on the receipt. My manager's cool, he let me use a 2for1 to get a 360 wireless controller.

Using the above exploit, I was able to rack up $100 or $110 in credit and managed to get 9 or 10 games in a "B2G1F" sale on used games.

[quote name='Scorch']

Credit in general or credit for the 2 for 1? You can use credit.. it's an exploit, but it does work. Just get a new game then return it (per the 'you have 7 days to return it if it sucks'). You'll either get $50 in credit, or $50 in credit and someone writing "2 FOR 1 DEAL" on the receipt. My manager's cool, he let me use a 2for1 to get a 360 wireless controller.

Using the above exploit, I was able to rack up $100 or $110 in credit and managed to get 9 or 10 games in a "B2G1F" sale on used games.[/quote]

If I take back a game on the "it sucked" policy, and it was on a B2G1F sell (i've got one that I bought, and one that was free I'd kinda like to take back), how would that work? Can I take the free one back in to exchange it for a different free game? And will I get full credit for the game I actually bought?

[quote name='Scorch']

$10 credit, not $15. Everything else is right.
[/quote]

Thanks for correcting its been awhile since I was in there. I may stop by and see if I can find a few qualifying games to search for around town...

[quote name='arthurRWD']If I take back a game on the "it sucked" policy, and it was on a B2G1F sell (i've got one that I bought, and one that was free I'd kinda like to take back), how would that work? Can I take the free one back in to exchange it for a different free game? And will I get full credit for the game I actually bought?[/QUOTE]

Ive done it a couple time in order to get 360 games, but it is a YMMV type thing, certain stores do it, some will onlyl give you the credit of the two games you originally traded to get the free game, not the value of the new game itself... I was told that it screws up the books in one store, another took my return with a little hesitation, yet another flatly denied me...

Hey guys, I was the District manager for Rhino in one of the markets they closed. I actually quit about 6 weeks before they came out and closed (not knowing this was going to happen). They did in fact close all of the Utah locations, along with all of Colorado, Texas and Iowa. They weren't having the succes that they had in the Southeast so they decided to pack it up and go back down where they've been successful. They were losing a ton of money on these stores and blockbuster had enough. They basically told them what stores they had to close and that it had to be done ASAP. In all it was about 22 stores over a 1 month period that they closed. Since blockbuster is their financially backer they had no choice.

[quote name='CaptPete']So I was heading over to my local (Utah) Rhino video games to take advantage of their `trade 2 get 1 (new game) free' deal, and the storefront was all closed up, with butcher paper in the windows. There was a sign saying something like `sorry that this location is closed, if you've got credit at this store, send in the slip and we'll refund the money.' I went to another location and it looked exactly the same. =(

It would appear that most (if not all), of the Utah stores are closed. Has anyone else in another state have any information about their local store?

(Edit) I just found this from November(!):

http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6282446

Basically it says that Blockbuster was gushing red ink and looking to sell off their smaller chains and consolidate their remaining stores.

Two interesting sentences:

"Also on the block is the 40-store game specialty chain Blockbuster acquired last year, Rhino Video Games, along with its Game Station chain in the U.K. and its Xtravision video store subsidiary in Ireland."

(and)

"The company’s Game Rush store-in-store departments also are targeted for cutbacks, with underperforming locations likely to close."

I was just in there last week. =( The guy that I generally see and talk to was in the back the whole time and never said anything to me. He seemed pretty stressed out, but I didn't think much about it at the time. What's ironic/sucks is that most of the pople that worked in this particular Rhino used to work at an EB in a mall that was closed. Weird. I saw one of the other guys that worked there applying for a job at a Gamecrazy the week before that.

I'll admit that their used prices generally sucked a bit, but usually that worked out great for the trade 2 get 1 free deal! =) They never did let you just get $49.99 credit for the trade though; they always made you take a new game. Oh well...time to round up my credit slips and hope that they actually give me money for them.[/quote]

Hey guys, I was a District manager for Rhino in one of the markets they closed. I actually left the co. about 6 weeks before they closed my stores (just by chance, I had no idea they were doing it). They actually closed 22 stores over a 1 month period. All of these stores we performing way below Rhino/Blockbuster standards. I know the numbers first hand. Anyways, Blockbuster had enough and told them what stores and when they had to close them. All of Utah, Colorado, Iowa, Texas and a few other stores here and there. None of the employees had a clue. They just held a meeting with all of the managers one morning at 8am and told them to go back to their stores and that there was someone waiting there to help them pack up and close the store. It was pretty abrupt.

bread's done
Back