Rice cooker?

SuxoR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey guys recently I've been going to a Japanese cafe and ordering the rice...because it's sooo good :p

I was wondering if there is a machine I can buy that makes sticky rice? I know there are rice cookers but I'm not sure if they can make it like this

Any help on a deal on one or recommendations on making the rice would really help!

The sticky comes from the starch in the rice, not the cooker itself. You can get it in the asian area of any grocery store(the rice that is). This is the one my wife and I have been using and we love it.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1258754204&sr=8-10

To make rice a little less sticky soak it in cold water for a little while and then rinse once the water starts to get cloudy. Rice straight from the bag to the cooker can be very sticky.

So any rice cooker will cook it properly? I guess it has to be steamed but a cooker and steamer is the same? :p

thanks btw :]

Yes, SuxoR, I used to wonder this too. The advice above is very accurate. There are better rice cookers than others but most will do the trick as long as you have good rice and prepare it properly. I won my rice cooker/steamer from Dave & Busters and LOVE it. Makes awesome sticky rice :) Best of luck!

[quote name='Brother Daz']To make rice a little less sticky soak it in cold water for a little while and then rinse once the water starts to get cloudy. Rice straight from the bag to the cooker can be very sticky.[/QUOTE]

You should be washing the rice before you cook it, regardless. You'll get a far better flavor.

OP, I suggest getting a rice cooker *without* a glass lid. In my experience, they tend to burn the rice at the bottom more frequently. I've been using the same Oster brand rice cooker I picked up at Target many years ago, and it does a fantastic job.

Would it be possible to link me some? I look around but they all seem the same, this would be just for myself and I don't eat a looooot :D

thanks so much guys hopefully I'll be eating rice and playing cheap games come December :*D

[quote name='SuxoR']So any rice cooker will cook it properly? [/QUOTE]

If you want the best "Rice Cooker", may I suggest a Vietnamese or perhaps Japanese or maybe even a Chinese mail order bride? I hear they are the absolute best.

Sorry...... someone had to do it and I figured it may as well be me.

[quote name='ktims777']If you want the best "Rice Cooker", may I suggest a Vietnamese or perhaps Japanese or maybe even a Chinese mail order bride? I hear they are the absolute best.

Sorry...... someone had to do it and I figured it may as well be me.[/QUOTE]

haha I wish T.T

You really don't need a steamer ("rice cooker"). A medium saucepan w/lid works just fine for me. I started making my own sushi recently and bought this rice from Amazon (RiceSelect).

You can read the directions in the item description. It comes out restaurant quality for me every time (except the 1st time I tried, thinking 1 minute early off the heat would be fine...it wasn't). Only downside is it's more expensive than other rice.

A cheaper alternative is a big bag of short-grain rice (Kokuho Rose or Nishiki brand) in the ethnic food aisle of Wal-mart. Those are the best to use for sticky/sushi rice. I see no point in using a dedicated rice cooker to make sticky rice.

To be fair and honest, I do have a beautiful Chinese wife who makes the excellent rice for me, but she's taught me how to do it as well. Also, I met her over in China ^_^ No mail ordering! So yes, this is perhaps the ideal solution. Highly recommended!

[quote name='btw1217']Yes, Zojirushi definitely. There's a couple other models I like over this one, but Zojirushi is definitely FTW[/QUOTE]

From an asian family who eats rice pretty much with every meal ^^^ that is also what we use. Though try to get one manufactured in Japan over China. Better quality if you do.

bread's done
Back