Rick James Dead

yeah I was watching the 11 news and it ended and there was no news about the death then I turn the channel to the noon news and see the breaking news that he died. No details were given, But I'm willing to be it's some how related to drugs.

Just heard it on the radio too, so I'll get to enjoy a "double edge set" of James in a little bit after Godsmack. I didn't know he had more songs than superfreak.

[quote name='tyecko']ah cmon he was a 1 hit wonder and hardly anyone here would even know who he was if not for Chappelle's Show. I don't think he was really as important as u all make him sound. But thats just IMO.[/quote]

Actually, it was a few hits. Plus he was a producer. He also marketed a new sound in the early 80's called punk funk. He had a few proteges that released albums too. Most people under the age of 30 or so might only know him from Chappelle's show.

[quote name='Noonan768'][quote name='tyecko']ah cmon he was a 1 hit wonder and hardly anyone here would even know who he was if not for Chappelle's Show. I don't think he was really as important as u all make him sound. But thats just IMO.[/quote]

Actually, it was a few hits. Plus he was a producer. He also marketed a new sound in the early 80's called punk funk. He had a few proteges that released albums too. Most people under the age of 30 or so might only know him from Chappelle's show.[/quote]

:applause:

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']He produced Eddie Murphy's album, I believe or was it just Party All the time?[/quote]

And they showed more of him in the video than they did of Eddie Murphy.

[quote name='Noonan768'][quote name='tyecko']ah cmon he was a 1 hit wonder and hardly anyone here would even know who he was if not for Chappelle's Show. I don't think he was really as important as u all make him sound. But thats just IMO.[/quote]

Actually, it was a few hits. Plus he was a producer. He also marketed a new sound in the early 80's called punk funk. He had a few proteges that released albums too. Most people under the age of 30 or so might only know him from Chappelle's show.[/quote]

Damn Right.

I was in a local taqueria a few weeks ago and "Mary Jane" came on the radio, not a single person didn't sing along -including the chef.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']He produced Eddie Murphy's album, I believe or was it just Party All the time?[/quote]

It was the whole album. He also appeared on it...
Obviously, not one his better judgements. :shock:

[quote name='RisingZan'][quote name='Noonan768'][quote name='tyecko']ah cmon he was a 1 hit wonder and hardly anyone here would even know who he was if not for Chappelle's Show. I don't think he was really as important as u all make him sound. But thats just IMO.[/quote]

Damn Right.

I was in a local taqueria a few weeks ago and "Mary Jane" came on the radio, not a single person didn't sing along -including the chef.[/quote]

Yeah, just heard "Give it to me baby" the other day. Love that song.

I was at a water park a couple of weeks ago and some wanker kept yelling "I'm Rick James Bitch!!!!" when he would go down the slides. Must've heard him a dozen times that day. What a friggin' tool. I wanted to bitch slap him.

That tombstone in the one of the previous posts was pretty damn funny, though :lol:

RIP Superfreak.

[quote name='Noonan768'][quote name='hiccupleftovers']He produced Eddie Murphy's album, I believe or was it just Party All the time?[/quote]

It was the whole album. He also appeared on it...
Obviously, not one his better judgements. :shock:[/quote]

The album was fairly successful. Compared to his various arrests I'd say it was easily among his best judgements. The guys who produce the boys bands and teen queen flavor of the month ilk may not get much mileage with that info as pick up lines in bars but they're crying all the way to the bank.

They just had Rick James for Happy Trails on PTI. It seems strange that no one knew for sure if he was dead.

[quote name='"sj41"']They just had Rick James for Happy Trails on PTI. It seems strange that no one knew for sure if he was dead.[/quote]

I was also going to echo this...I just told my sis and she can't believe it. Hell, he was 56...PTI said of "natural causes...kind of hard to believe usually hear of that someone in their 70's or older...guess he got a lot (drugs, women, etc.) out of his short life...Wonder how Chappelle show will handle his skits from now on, maybe give him and the "I'm rick james, bitch" phrase a send off....

[quote name='darth007']I hope people dont quote Chappelle's shows Rick James skit from now on...[/quote]

I'm dead, bitch.

heh

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']WTF? He was just supposed to start a reality show, too![/quote]

yea I saw jamie foxx talking about it on conan. the man did coke for like 30 years are we really surpised.

[quote name='FunkMachineX'][quote name='darth007']I hope people dont quote Chappelle's shows Rick James skit from now on...[/quote]

I'm dead, bitch.

heh[/quote]

A couple days ago when this happened I was watching a Tiger game on tv with my dad when he just starts going "I'm dead bitch" over and over for about 5 minutes. Finally I say, "I can ignore you no longer, what the hell are you talking about" to which he replies, "I'm dead bitch, cocaine is a helluva drug" it was at this point I realized the world had lost a legendary impersonation.

bread's done
Back