Ridge Racer Unbounded, Ace Combat $16Neverdead PS3 $10 @ Newegg

The Ridge Racer pricing dropped really fast. I heard the game was decent, but i'm not sure anyone really knew it came out.

My research so far indicates:
No wheel support in Ridge Racer Unbounded
No flight stick support in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

I guess this makes sense as both these games seem to be the opposite of simulations.

You might want to be more specific about the title, OP. There have been a lot of Ace Combat games.

[quote name='WNYX585AM']The Ridge Racer pricing dropped really fast. I heard the game was decent, but i'm not sure anyone really knew it came out.[/QUOTE]
I'm a racing game nut so i'll play just about anything. I ordered this as well. I've read that the RR series got a reboot and plays more like Burnout takedown or Split Second with destructible environments and car handling is also different as well. Either way i'll try it for $16 :bouncy:

Even if you're not big into flight sims, I would recommend the latest Ace Combat for just a quick action game. It's really over-the-top (like Michael Bay scale) for some of the events/missions. Pretty disappointed that they pretty much ripped the soul out of the previous Ace Combat entries and turned it into "Call of Duty in the sky"

The helicopter levels are a little iffy though. That's about as far as I got to before getting distracted with other games.

Heads up for anyone thinking about Ridge Racer:

It is NOT "Ridge Racer", so buy accordingly. I was SEVERELY dissapointed in it.

It failed as a "Racer" in general...

I always thought Ace Combat was an arcade style game? Granted, I think I've only played the demo of the very first one on the original Playstation.

[quote name='Kaijuboy']Heads up for anyone thinking about Ridge Racer:

.[/QUOTE]

Ridge Racer has been failing as a 'racer' for years now. I think some of us just want to see what they did to change things up a bit.
Overall reviews were positive, so for $16.00 I don't mind giving a try. Now plunking down $60.00 on this would've been uncag like, and probably just silly.

"No flight stick support in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon "

Assault Horizon can be played with the flight stick that came with AC6, but it's a bit to work with especially when switching to copter missions. I played it on 360 with the ACE-EDGE to be clear where I'm coming from with this information.

As far as Ridge Racer Unbounded goes: are the complaints more that it's like R: Racing Evolution and less like Ridge Racer Type 4, or that it just blows altogether?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cheapnpoor']Hmm... interested in Neverdead, but heard mix reviews on it.

Can't be too bad for $9.99 right ?[/QUOTE]

Mixed reviews? I've heard nothing but shit reviews.

[quote name='Drakee']"No flight stick support in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon "

Assault Horizon can be played with the flight stick that came with AC6, but it's a bit to work with especially when switching to copter missions. I played it on 360 with the ACE-EDGE to be clear where I'm coming from with this information.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I recall looking at the back of the case and it stating that it was NOT compatible with flight sticks, but maybe my memory is wrong. In any case, I'll go with your first-hand experience - just not sure what "a bit to work with" means for jets.

Ace Combat was never a true flight sim, contrary to what traditional AC fans say. If you want a flight sim, you have to go the PC route. Older AC games have straddled the fence between sim and arcade which actually means that it looks like a sim but is easy to play and has high accessibility of an arcade game. Assault Horizon says, screw this fake sim part, just make it intense.

I loved Assault Horizon. A ton of fun. A decently long campaign. great cinematics. the action is fierce. the best part is you don't spend half your time fighting dots like in many flight games. You actually get to see your enemies. And the game kind of plays like how Gears of War would play in the sky.

The most disappointing segments were probably the helicopter scenes. They were cool but way too easy and repetitive. Yes, you felt like you were in a badass helicopter but all they make you do is basically gun down trucks and people with RPGs. The most egregious error for the helicopter segments was you can't play the game in third-person perspective because the helicopter will often cover up your reticle and view of the target. This was never a problem with Gears of War and it totally ruined the beautiful looking 3rd person perspective view of the helicopter.

I recommend Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. It was fun, fast, intense, and quite good looking as well. And if you're on a console, and want a new flight game, get this one.

And when I was done, I had to go find a copy of Ace Combat 6, because my only complaint was that unlike the previous Ace Combat games, there was no rediculous Japanese bent plot element, like flying aircraft carrier missle platforms, or anti-asteroid defense cannons. Which won't be a problem at all if you prefer more realism. It's just that I prefer the strangereal.

[quote name='Kaijuboy']Heads up for anyone thinking about Ridge Racer:

.[/QUOTE]

Could trade it to BB for $25.20, after bonuses, if I don't like it.:whistle2:k

The gameplay vids do say it doesn't look Ridge Racer enough, to me, too.

Ace Combat wasn't bad, Neverdead is garbage IMO (even when MS Store had it for $5, I felt ripped off). Ridge Racer Unbounded looks pretty nice, but with the backlog and all the really good games coming out, I think I'm gonna hold off.

Couldn't resist....ordered Ridge Racer for 360. $15.99 seems like a great price thats not to be missed by any Ridge Racer or Burnout fan.

This Ridge Racer looks too conformed. Reminds me of Split Second. $25.20 TIV @ BB after 100% and GCU, but I think I may try it out if it hits $10 or less 1 day.

bread's done
Back