Ridiculously Overpriced Items You've Come Across

Tsukento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
As the title says, share with us stuff you've been shopping around for and encountered insanely marked up prices on them. :)

I was looking around a bunch of online sites to see if I could try to complete my Dragon Ball DVDs. I turned to Amazon and looked at used DVDs and spotted the last DVD for the series.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Piccolo-Saga-Part/dp/B000095IZS/

If you want this DVD, their asking prices are $200. And it's not just one seller. It's ALL of them. What the fuck?

[quote name='NoRain']http://www.amazon.com/Activision-32589-Vampire-Bloodlines/dp/B0001NJHH8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3740195-0496159?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1190444299&sr=1-1

I was looking for this and I wasn't able to find one locally. I was shocked when I found a direct download from EB/GS for 20 bucks. Only problem I have is if I use any unofficial patch/mod it screws up its nocd thing from the directdownload.[/quote]

Wow! That's a great game and all but I had no idea the price went up so much. Any idea why the price went sky high?

Before it was reprinted, Dragonball GT: Final Bout (then again, we can easily agree that $5 for it is just too much)

In terms of it's retail price:
Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s (a ripoff since GH2 offers over double for the same price)

[quote name='Tsukento']As the title says, share with us stuff you've been shopping around for and encountered insanely marked up prices on them. :)

I was looking around a bunch of online sites to see if I could try to complete my Dragon Ball DVDs. I turned to Amazon and looked at used DVDs and spotted the last DVD for the series.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Piccolo-Saga-Part/dp/B000095IZS/

If you want this DVD, their asking prices are $200. And it's not just one seller. It's ALL of them. What the fuck?[/quote]

Even on half.com, they have one for over $120. Strange since part 1 sells for around $19.99+ on amazon.com...

A lot of the overpriced items I've seen have been at yard sales and flea markets. I stopped at one once that had Driver/Driver2 for the Playstation1 at $50 written in permenant ink on it. Plus, it was out in the boonies...

I have that Dragonball set lol. Looks like most people who got them got screwed over by the company and got the wrong discs.

Gamestop has both disc-only and "best seller" used copies of Mario Kart: Double Dash for $40. That's pretty horrendous.

halo 1 for $19.99 used at EB/GS. They were 7.99 last week, funny how a new release drives demand.
i hate those stores.

[quote name='stnkygrngo']halo 1 for $19.99 used at EB/GS. They were 7.99 last week, funny how a new release drives demand.
i hate those stores.[/quote]

concur'd

The BK games at a local flea market: $39.99 EACH

I guess because they said they work on 360, the guy selling them figured they're worth that much. I tried telling him he was smoking crack by wanting that much for them, when they came out @ $3.99 each originally.

Then again, he buys games from the one shop I usually hit for $3-4 each and charges $22 and up for many of them. And some of them are Greatest Hits titles, no less, with an original msrp of $19.99.

Well these aren't exactly 'marked up' prices, but my local Shopko simply ignores price drops. Here are a few PC games they had as little as 2 weeks ago:

Star Wars: Empire at War - $54.99
Company of Heroes - $54.99
Neverwinter Nights Diamond - $44.99

They had quite a few others, too. Then again it's not too surprising. This is the same store that lists it's 'Greatest Hits' games at $21.99. Always charging more than any other store. It's odd to think that they make money doing stuff like this?

I still see Eternal Darkness for $50 new when I go to Meijer.

As for overpriced at used shop. Went to a flea market back in march and someone wanted $35 for a cart only Donkey Kong Country 2(SNES). The guy had a lot of over-priced crap(including a $25 Super Mario World) and said I'd have a hard time finding a cheaper copy. Funny, picked one up at Game Crazy in June as part of their 2 for $5 deal.

At my local used game/dvd/cd store they are selling a used copy of Lego Star Wars II platinum hits 360 for $31.99. I got my new copy at Walmart for $19.99.

Gun Showdown - PSP I saw a whole bunch of em at best buy for 12 dollars, just went to wal mart today and saw it for $49.99?...I ask the guy at the counter if that was the right price and he said thats what they've been selling them for.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Read the comments, "Never put on dvd!". I wonder why. :roll:[/quote]
Sounds more like someone copied the VHS and burned it onto DVD if that's the case.

[quote name='Nibi']Pretty much anything you find at these shady electronic stores/tourist traps in New York City.[/QUOTE]
QFT.

As a game music collector, I can say in all confidence that some of the prices at VGM World for the out of print stuff can get pretty ridiculous (like this, which I once bought in similar condition somewhere else... for a lot less). Yeah, some of their stuff is pretty rare, but not worth some of the prices they charge.

Games sold at FYE, Game Attic (local store) and Flea Markets.

Oh and a Sonic 10th anniversary lighter on Yahoo Japan for $500. Funny thing is that I'm considering using some of the $5000 I have saved up to buy it :lol:

Two local stores are guilty of this:

BOOK & MUSIC EXCHANGE: Super Mario All-Stars - $35; Final Fantasy VIII - $25; Brave Fencer Musashi - $30

McVAN'S VIDEO GAMES (bastards): Lunar 2 (in any state of completeness, or the lack there of): $70. Any import Saturn game: $60.

Ironically, these are the same stores where I was able to get Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence LE (traded for Digital Devil Saga and some other stuff) and Ikaruga for Dreamcast (traded for Shenmue II and some other stuff) for $30 each.

[quote name='Gara']Wow! That's a great game and all but I had no idea the price went up so much. Any idea why the price went sky high?[/QUOTE]

Not really I guess they didn't print enough of them. PC games don't tend to get recycled as much as console games either. Only other Vampire Bloodlines I could find were the New Zealand/Austria Imports and they were still around 40.

Went to a garage sale this summer and some lady had an original Xbox, a couple controllers, and a couple crappy games for the low low price of $150 firm. It seems when I come across video games at garage sales...these are usually the type of prices I see.

Last weekend for the first time in ages I found a garage sale with some vintage games...a huge box of Genesis carts for $2 each...not the worst price in the world...but nothing I needed...plenty I would have bought for 50 cents each. Funny thing is...the same garage sale had PS2 games at the same price...$2 each. And they wanted $25 for their Genesis system. They had about 50 Genesis games left...non-sports mostly...but they had been picked through pretty good cause the lady said she started with about twice as many games the day before...no RPGs or anything left by the time I got there.

Re: Halo/H2 increasing in price at EB/GS. If demand goes up, supply goes down, prices go up, that makes sense to me. It's the inverse of the reason sports games from last year or three years ago are so cheap.
Anyway--at a restaurant last week, the group I was with was chatting with the server, who said he sold a $10,000 bottle of wine to a table the previous week. I understand there's always a markup at restaurants/bars, but damn. The only way I could even think of a bottle of wine being worth anywhere close to that is if Christ himself created it from water.
That said, my chicken dinner, the cheapest entree on the menu, was 30 bucks, and wasn't all that good.

That's how it is. You go to an expensive restaurant, the cheapest food is gonna taste like shit just to get you for not paying for the expensive stuff. :p

A few off the top of my head:

-Go Go Hypergrind for Gamecube, $44.99 used at FYE. This was sometime in 2005, and even back then the game was going for around $10 used at GameStop.
-10 Yard Fight for NES, cart only for $5.00
-Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for NES, cart only for $10 earlier this year

[quote name='SNKMat']that one fag selling a "rare" copy of GTA 2 for $35[/QUOTE]

I sold a sealed copy of GTA2 for 20 bucks. It was sealed unlike most copies though, only cost me 1.49 from TRU years ago

As for overpriced, most anything at my local flea market , especially the guys with a TON of games he sells for a flat 10 bucks apiece, sounds nice, until you look through them (NCAA 02 and shit like that)

Game Trader (used game shop)... HORRIBLY OVERPRICED, games I bought for a few bucks being sold there for 24.99 and up in some cases, but they are my only outlet for dumping penny guides, traded in 8 yesterday and walked out with 2 Saturn games... getting 1-2 bucks apiece for penny guides I cant trade here or sell elsewhere is nice

Anything from gamestop (during the holidays), including USED scratched like they were rubbed on a sidewalk gamecube games.

People selling used, 3 year old sports games at yard sales for 20 or 25$ each because they were played once

People doing this in general for no reason other than to sell used sports games for 20$ each at a yard sale

People who let their kids price all their yardsale items then end up with 10$ used cd players and 15$ for some used toy that originally cost 5$ then they wonder why I walk away..

$10 for a used PSP case - priced by a kid of course

$5 for a used Game Boy Advance case at a yard sale, I would say the system isn't even worth more than that at a yard sale, of course this was priced by a kid

One yard sale had a GBA for 2$ and a GBC for 4$, guess which one I walked away with..

Pretty much ALL local used game stores, no wonder why they go down so quickly here, I am not paying 8$ for that used strategy guide thank you, or 10$ for that used NES game that has been sitting there for 10 years covered in dirt, if I am gonna pay 10$ for an NES game it better be something very good or in pristine condition and already opened up and cleaned out for me. Also they have filthy GBA and GBC cases for around 10$ each, I am not sure on the mentality on this one as you can get cases new for less than that at most stores now.

[quote name='webcaster68']GTA:SA 100 bucks but the seller said it was rare[/quote]
All sellers on eBay say that.

"RARE, NO LONGER IN PRINT!"
"FACTORY SEALED, EXTREMELY RARE!!!!"
"RARE, LIKE NEW, OUT OF PRINT!"

Those are the most common things that come up in titles for auctions involved with someone trying to rip others off with an overpriced item.

[quote name='Tsukento']Sad thing is, I've seen people trying to pass off Madden titles as being rare just for being a year old.[/QUOTE]

Wouldnt a better word be vintage or retro ;)

went to an fye out of town yesterday and there prices were outrageous

about 85% of their games were retail price (even if they had a gh/ph/pc label) plus $3 for some odd reason

now that was messed up

bread's done
Back