Rift is free to play.

Yeah, it went free-to-play yesterday. Glad I'm finally able to play it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I dare?  Enjoyed it the month I played it but I've also been MMO free for several months despite having GW2 and TSW installed...

I'm surprised, would have assume it would been available on Steam since if I remember correctly it was on Steam at launch and one of the first MMOs.  Let's see if my Steam copy let's me access the F2P.

Well that's annoying; I can't remember my password after however long, I might also have an authenticator tied to the account and I can't reset any of it because these security questions are like nothing I would ever have selected and I have no idea what the answers are...

I played it for about a month when it came out. At some point I just didn't log on anymore. It'll be good to check it out again when I get my computer set up in my new place.

Sweet I played it for among or 2 it was great

Also have the old republic to try
Fair warning, The Old Republic's free-to-play is pretty limited.

http://www.swtor.com/free/features
Are you shitting me?? Sprint is a "premium feature"?

What's next only WAS movement keys with D costing 4.99?
You can unlock sprint a little later (like level 12) if you're a free player. Not a huge handicap unless you play with people that have it.

All the servers had 400+ lines when I check couple minutes ago so I guess the f2p is working for them so far.  I'll check it out later when I don't have to wait 2+ hours to get in game.

As a side note, if you're a member on raptr, there's 4 rewards for playing going right now.

I got a code for the original game from a CAGer a while back, its a great game, but it does take some dedication to fully enjoy it

Tried a few free/free trial MMO's over the years (WoW, Perfect Worlds (?), SWToR) and nothing ever really grabbed me but this looks pretty cool so I think I'll give it a shot.  Thanks OP!

ive never played any mmo longer than a month but rift was probably my favorite. excited to return to telara without paying a sub.

Might have to give this a go based on your guys recommendation. Last MMO I played was guild wars.

So how does this game make money? Can't be completely free.
They sell mounts, pets, extra bad space, XP boosts, faction changes, cosmetics, gear (good enough to get you geared for raiding, but not game breaking IIRC), and probably some other stuff. Oh and you get some perks if you pay $15 a month.

Ahhh, knew there was something.  Played when it first came out and couldn't figure out how exactly this game was completely free.  I remember it being alot of fun paying monthly.  :)

Ahhh, knew there was something. Played when it first came out and couldn't figure out how exactly this game was completely free. I remember it being alot of fun paying monthly. :)
Still haven't figured out how to get into my account but it all seems legitimate enough. I think a lot of companies are realizing that overly restrictive and deceptive models only hurt them since it's under 5% of your players that actually spend money but they spend enough that it supports everyone. So by having a fun and fair model it's best for everyone.

bread's done
Back