RIFT (PC) - Fantasy MMORPG - $43.99 with Free Shipping

Played this at PAX Prime. It is an almost identical rip off to WoW (albeit probably the best one on the market right now). I'd much rather play the real thing.

They sure are promoting the hell out of this game. Every site I've been to in the past few days has had a RIFT banner.

Yep yep. Decent game, a LOT like Warcraft, but requires more recent hardware to play. It was TOO much like Warcraft for me, and the animations seemed a bit off. They recently announced that they removed 10man content for the time being as well.

Still, decent price for a pretty decent game if you are not tired of the Warcraft formula yet.

No one knows what they are talking about. They didnt remove 10 man content and its not really like WoW at all except the UI and that its an MMO that takes the best aspects of mmos and makes an mmo lol.

Good price.

Could've sworn I heard this game being more "action" than WoW's hotkey system during the beta days, but now everyone is saying it's really similar to WoW? What gives ;/

[quote name='Psybuster']Could've sworn I heard this game being more "action" than WoW's hotkey system during the beta days, but now everyone is saying it's really similar to WoW? What gives ;/[/QUOTE]

Nope - the game certainly keeps the hotkey, slow-style of combat that WoW has. Three of the four main classes have a 1.5 global cooldown (meaning, with very few exceptions, you have a 1.5s delay between abilities you can use).

It's definitely not as "action" packed as, say, Age of Conan.

With that said, it's definitely a good game in its own right, although it is eerily similar to WoW (ith a bunch of the best WoW addons included.

[quote name='Darknuke']Played this at PAX Prime. It is an almost identical rip off to WoW (albeit probably the best one on the market right now). I'd much rather play the real thing.[/QUOTE]

How much did you actually play, because after 3 Beta runs (over 60 hours between myself, and Lica), I have to say this game is hardly a rip off of WoW in anyway, shape or form, save the IU, which honestly is a great thing.

The aspect of having rifts appear all over the place, and hell breaking loose left and right to various degrees on the drop of a hat, makes for an intense play, and sense of WTF, and more so keeps you asking around, and looking over your virtual shoulder.

The talent specs are amazingly simple to some degrees and more complex than blizz would ever want. I mean, taking the aspects of a Beast Master, Toss in some Death (They call em Void) Knights, and then throw in a Pali spell or two, and you can Solo or Party in so many ways. The combos are numerous, and well thought out, granted I am sure some will get nerfed to a degree for balance. Still, it is way more than what we have on many MMOs, and again, a fresh take on that bit of gaming.

The graphics are very well done, and again are a far cry from the world of Azeroth, in fact if it had one game that reminded me of it a bit it, would be LOTRO.

Questing is plentiful, and there are loads of mobs to take out. Instances are well thougth out as well, and the PVP wasn't so bad. Again this is Beta, and I am sure it will change. The Lore is nicely done, and there is loads there for purists of that nature.

The game is not perfect by any means, but it's a step in the right direction as far as MMOs go. I think using a similar UI to WoW was smart, since WoW took it's current UI changes from other games as well (quest tracker, directions, locators etc, from games like LOTRO, Kitsu Saga, Grand Fantasia, and other mod creators).

No MMO game currently comes out the game completely original, and that's fine. It's the other things devs do, to make their game carry that bit of a difference, and here I think they did it well.

Anyways, that's my take after my time in it, and personally I will play a bit more so, till Square decides to finally fix that cluster &*^% of a game called FF XIV for the PS3.

It is identical to World of Warcraft,with absolutely nothing new from any of the better MMOs released since, after my experience with it. Read any beta blog, talk to anyone that has been playing. None of the action of AoC, none of the long term depth and fulfillment of EVE, just repetative quests and changing out your gear. It also has nothing resembling the changing environments and instanced world quests of recent wow expansions, there is a term for it that escapes me. Vanilla WoW, modern mods, the only plus side is new graphics.

The combat feels slower, although i'm used to playing wow end game, which could be the reason for that opinion. Reminded me of the fifteen or so levels i played of EQ2 before putting it away.

The texture and graphic quality are superior, reminds me of LOTRO (as mentioned above) which i downloaded and played for free recently, but the animations and performance would leave anyone wishing for the cartoon, glowing glory of Azeroth.

It will be free to play in a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ribkage']No one knows what they are talking about. They didnt remove 10 man content and its not really like WoW at all except the UI and that its an MMO that takes the best aspects of mmos and makes an mmo lol.[/QUOTE]

Interview with with Rift:

"In our original design we also preferred to have both available. But at least for now we are moving all instanced Raids to be tuned for 20-players. We may add the 10-man versions back in post-launch but I’m not making any promises."

I just stated that for the time being its removed, which was what caused me to finally cancel my pre-order. 10man content is the biggest chunk of my guild's time :(

It's a LOT like Warcraft (I'm not saying WOW invented everything, but everyone knows what it is) except for the excellent soul tree's and 'random' rift events that are good fun.

It's a decent game, like I said, and worth giving a try at least.

Guild War's 2 will probably be Holiday 2011 :(

If anyone's interested in trying it out, the open beta is going on right now. Just need to sign up and download the client.

But yeah, it's a decent game, but I can't help but get a "Been there done that" feeling". Combat-wise, it's IDENTICAL to WoW and it's quests are reminiscent of pre Cata WoW. Cataclysm revamped the entire questing system and now it's actually fun while quests in Rift are extremely repetitive. Anyone who says it's nothing like WoW is delusional.

I do like Rift's talent system though.

Ive played a ton of MMOS the level grind is the SAME in everyone one. Vanguard, EQ2, WoW its all the same.

The difference is the quest interactions with the enviroment, thats where this game takes a new hold.

Not being set to one style of play. My Cleric with the click of a button can swap roles different ability skill sets at the click of a button.) Right now I have 2 modes DPS, and Tank. I have tanked most instanced content in this MMO as a cleric, and do so very easliy. DPS wise I usually top the parse in open rifts. Mind you this si as a cleric. Mages can heal, Rogues can tank if speced right. Its really refreshing. No more wiating for a class to complete a party.

The encounters are fully interactive making them challenging click things to weaken, stun, debuff bosses. Kill totems that spawn and heal bosses, etc. Its very similar to EQ2s raid content, which is going to lead to positive things in raiding.

Yes there are similar aspects to Wow, Eq2, Vanguard etc, but all mmos are in theroy the same get up. I cannot think of one totally orginal MMO this coming from somone who played MUDS in the 90s.

The rifts themself are really fun nothing like just mosing along in your quest grind, and the totally invaded from another world all across the map. THe exp from these rifts better then quest grinding, and the loot you can get from the currency is up their with dunguens.

Thx for the direct 2 drive link. I usually like my box but considering ive had the beta DLed for a while I think a 10 savings > box.

bread's done
Back