Ripped off by Dell; any suggestions?

mattao18

CAGiversary!
I've never been a huge poster but I've been coming to CAG for years. Honestly, I know you guys know a lot of stuff and have nowhere else to turn.

A few weeks ago Dell was having their President's Day Sale - from the 12th through the 18th. I ordered a computer and they told me it'd take a few weeks to build. Here it is on the 23rd and I called up to check on my order. They gave me an order number this time. Checking on the order, the computer is crippled to what I ordered. Basically I ordered one computer, theyre building an inferior one, and charging me the same. To boot anyone I get on the phone keeps telling me its being built, I need to pay my own money to ship it back, and I can't get the original computer I ordered because it was during the sale.

They made a mistake, I have the pay the shipping back, and I can't get what I ordered in the begining to boot. :bomb: Any ideas?

Ask to speak to a supervisor.
DO NOT LET THEM GIVE YOU THE RUN AROUND!

Dont take the bullshit, dont budge.
Get what you paid for.

They tend to listen most of the time.

Do you have any proof of the original order you placed (during the sale)? If you ordered online, you should have gotten some kind of an email receipt or something. But if you did it by phone, then that might be a problem.

If you do have proof that you order one thing and what they sent you was different, then you have a case. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you can do...

Wow, fast...

It was phone - ie. they have it recorded what I told them I ordered - but I'm screwed. And, well, its the supervisor that's telling me its too late, to just ship it back on my dime. -_-

[quote name='Thongsy']Refuse the shipment when it gets delivered and dispute it with your credit card company if they still charge you.[/quote]

thats the best answer!! dispute this with your card and don't pay for it.

[quote name='Thongsy']Refuse the shipment when it gets delivered and dispute it with your credit card company if they still charge you.[/quote]

Agreed. And don't buy from Dell.

There is a forum on Dell's Web site where people go and have a Festivus style airing of grievances. Go there and throw you issue out for the crowd. I lurked through a few and Dell CS always seems to always jump in seeking more info.

like many others i have to agree with what they said above i would stop wasting my time trying to get them to do what they were supposed to anyways and just dispute with ur card and refuse the order

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']There is a forum on Dell's Web site where people go and have a Festivus style airing of grievances. Go there and throw you issue out for the crowd. I lurked through a few and Dell CS always seems to always jump in seeking more info.[/quote]

That's called damage control.

Indeed, keep calling them back, and seeing if they would fix it.

I don't know why anyone would PHONE in an order.... maybe cause they don't have an existing pc maybe?

And the advice on refuse the shipment and doing a chargeback will work if that's you're last option.

[quote name='xycury']That's called damage control.

Indeed, keep calling them back, and seeing if they would fix it.

I don't know why anyone would PHONE in an order.... maybe cause they don't have an existing pc maybe?

And the advice on refuse the shipment and doing a chargeback will work if that's you're last option.[/quote]

Some people don't like giving personal information over the internet.

I say call the credit card company and ask for a chargeback. Then keep the shipment as a gift :D If only that could work lol

[quote name='strikeratt']Some people don't like giving personal information over the internet.[/quote]

You can still configure online and then give the order information another way. Just too many opportunities for screw-up on both ends with just a phone conversation. PAPER TRAIL. . .

Man, that sucks. If they refuse to make the computer to your specs and send it out to you, then do what the others here have said, refuse the shipment and chargeback your card.

Whatever you do, do it by phone.. ive tried mailing a nasty letter and im pretty sure they just trashed it for they didnt reply and on the phone said they dont keep track of the mail they receive

Grow some balls. Don't take their crap.

Dell: "We can accept the return but you're gonna have to pay for shipping."
You: "No, I will not have to pay for shipping. Either you fix your mistake or I refuse delivery, dispute the charge on my credit card, file a claim with the BBB and report you to the higher ups. Your choice."

The follow through if they fail to comply.

bread's done
Back