Risen PC $9.99 new at Gamestop online & instore

i had this on 360, may pick it up for pc.

As far as opinions:
I played it on 360.

Liked: 1 loading screen at the start (may have been more but i dont think so --soo unlike dragon age 2 in that respect)

story: while kinda goofy i liked how the quests were done. Just seemed to be intersting quests. For instance in one part i had to get this guy drunk in order to win a sword fight against him. To do that i had to keep giving him alcohol and goading him on until he bet me that he could win a sword fight against my character with a broken down sword (instead of his uber powerful one).

bad: Difficult. You can die pretty often.
Animations seemed pretty bad.
Models seemed pretty bad.
Hilarious graphical glitches... like rocks whose textures just blend on a trinagle in areas.

i did like the game tho.

[quote name='Xealot42']It seems really odd that they would add extra DRM when putting the game on Steam vs. retail. Steam is DRM.[/QUOTE]
They were probably lazy and just placed the Steam DRM right on top of the Tages DRM.

[quote name='Lemarfanz']anyone play this? opinions?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I got it off Steam, a while back.
This is Piranha Bytes' best RPG since Gothic 1.

Great game especially for $10. There is a learning curve at the beginning though. One really great thing is the enemies don't scale to your level.

[quote name='hwmusic']sold out online, i'd like to see an amazon price match[/QUOTE]

Then everybody should supply the GameStop link over to Amazon on their Risen page where it lets you "Tell us about a lower price".

[quote name='UlysisAM']Guess I'll wait for a Steam sale.[/QUOTE]

As I mentioned above, the Steam version includes TAGES DRM -- there's a 3 machine activation limit, with no way to deauth prior activations, and you don't get them back after time passes. You have to e-mail Deep Silver to request more. The disc version has no activation limits, only a disc check.

Thread about the DRM: http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52719

I've been waiting for a retail price drop because of the ridiculous DRM on the Steam version.

[quote name='MysterD']Then everybody should supply the GameStop link over to Amazon on their Risen page where it lets you "Tell us about a lower price".[/QUOTE]

I don't see it on the page.

[quote name='Lemarfanz']I don't see it on the page.[/QUOTE]

Near the VERY Bottom of any page on Amazon, is the "See a lower price?" option.
That's what you click on - you supply link and price.

I loved Risen, I paid $50 when it came out, and it was worth full price. Can't wait for Risen 2 this year!

$10 is a no brainer for this if you liked Gothic 1 or 2, or just want a challenging open ended RPG, with a big focus on exploring and solving quests your own way.

[quote name='Wapcaplet']As I mentioned above, the Steam version includes TAGES DRM -- there's a 3 machine activation limit, with no way to deauth prior activations, and you don't get them back after time passes. You have to e-mail Deep Silver to request more. The disc version has no activation limits, only a disc check.

Thread about the DRM: http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52719

I've been waiting for a retail price drop because of the ridiculous DRM on the Steam version.[/QUOTE]

From your link about the DRM - the retail version DOES use TAGES, per the developer, as the disk check mechanism

Well actually we selected Tages for Risen because it works with the disc without any activation or serial key. So it's even less DRM as Steam. If there is no disc to check the Tages copy protection changes to using their online activation routine, this is why there is another copy protection layer besides Steam. So sometimes the reasons are not because people are evil but because we wanted to have a copy protection for all retail buyers with a VERY small footprint as with as few hassle as possible. So if you'r not happy with the Steam version you could also always buy the retail copy, which even doesn't need Steam but only the disc in the drive.

So, you're still getting TAGES, just no activation limits...

--Walburga

[quote name='hwmusic']Can someone tell me why people don't buy games because you can't "activate it on steam" or whatever?[/QUOTE]

The short answer is that some people like to keep all of their DD games in one "place" and find that Steam is convenient for that purpose. Additionally, Steam and the pretty-universally-reviled (although I personally don't mind it) Games for Windows LIVE DD outlets are the only way to get "achievements" on a computer system; I like achievements and so do many other folks.

[quote name='Walburga']So, you're still getting TAGES, just no activation limits...[/QUOTE]
True, which I should have clarified above (need more sleep...). My beef is with the activation limits. TAGES, like SecuROM, has different forms of DRM, and the disc-check one is a lot more tolerable IMHO than the activation limit one.

[quote name='Wapcaplet']True, which I should have clarified above (need more sleep...). My beef is with the activation limits. TAGES, like SecuROM, has different forms of DRM, and the disc-check one is a lot more tolerable IMHO than the activation limit one.[/QUOTE]

Granted.

I was just letting people who are completely anti-TAGES/anti-DRM know that the disk version still installs it.

Actually, does TAGES install files/drivers/registry keys on the system a la SecureROM, or is it just code embedded in the executable itself with no external effect on the system as a whole?

In other words, is it less "intrusive" than SecureROM?

I'm not familiar with how TAGES "works"..

[quote name='Walburga']Granted.

I was just letting people who are completely anti-TAGES/anti-DRM know that the disk version still installs it.

Actually, does TAGES install files/drivers/registry keys on the system a la SecureROM, or is it just code embedded in the executable itself with no external effect on the system as a whole?

In other words, is it less "intrusive" than SecureROM?

I'm not familiar with how TAGES "works"..[/QUOTE]

I just answered my own question. Per Wikipedia, TAGES does install drivers on the system to work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagès

Also, note that to work with Windows 7, it claims you need to download updated drivers from their site, post-install.. since the game will presumably install older versions of the drivers.

So, more DRM crap installed on your system, even when not actively playing the game. :wall:

--Walburga

I was going to bite online but the 2.99 shipping made me want to wait for 9.99 flat from amazon or a steam/d2d download $5.00-$9.99

bread's done
Back