RISK Onyx Edition $15 at Barnes n Nobles YMMV

xenophreak

CAGiversary!
Not really a video game, but if you like board games, you probably love RISK.

This is the Onyx edition, exclusive to Barnes n Nobles, and one of the finest I've seen.

MSRP is usually $59.99, but I found one in the 75% off bargain bin at my local Barnes n Nobles in Orlando, FL (Colonial Drive).

Last week it was 50% off and they still had a few, but yesterday it was 75% off ($15), and they had only one left, so I decided to pick it up.

Prices and location may vary, but it's worth checking it out, IMO.

This is what it looks like($57.50 at Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/Risk-Onyx-Gam...9030/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327117420&sr=8-1

Omg I've been waiting for this to drop under $30 at my local Barnes & Noble; I'm totally going to check this out. Thanks so much!

Yeah, that's not actually a video game deal, but let's be practical : What's the chance of us ever finding a deal on a video game version of Risk?

[quote name='Decker']Yeah, that's not actually a video game deal, but let's be practical : What's the chance of us ever finding a deal on a video game version of Risk?[/QUOTE]

HA!

I've seen those Onyx games and theyre impressive! Id love one at that price.

[quote name='Decker']Yeah, that's not actually a video game deal, but let's be practical : What's the chance of us ever finding a deal on a video game version of Risk?[/QUOTE]

Might I add a GOOD video game version of risk? Risk 2 wasn't that good but it's online doesn't work and was barely if at all supported. I mean the only time it's good is with local multiplayer. In which case, people will see your RISK cards and know exactly what to expect. I'd go for this if me and my friends had time to get together for a game of risk since it was always fun 4-5 years ago. We seriously should of found at least a 4th player.

I think during the holidays there was a sale on the iOS version of Risk?

I like the fact the board looks very nicely made rather then the cheap fold-able cardboard of the ones made years ago.

I will have to check and see if mine has it for that price. :)

Risk Factions is on sale on XBLA all the time!

fuck me! I've been wanting this for at least 2 years but didn't want to drop $70 on it. Definitely going to run to B&N tomorrow morning.

[quote name='Fire2box']Might I add a GOOD video game version of risk? Risk 2 wasn't that good but it's online doesn't work and was barely if at all supported. I mean the only time it's good is with local multiplayer. In which case, people will see your RISK cards and know exactly what to expect. I'd go for this if me and my friends had time to get together for a game of risk since it was always fun 4-5 years ago. We seriously should of found at least a 4th player.[/QUOTE]

I always thought that Risk: Global Domination for PS2 was underrated. I played that with friends all the time back in high school and it was a blast. It had a surprising amount of personality, from the Napoleonic-era imperialistic visuals and music to the surprisingly humorous and well-voiced CPU characters like Bolivar, Washington, Katherine the Great, Pontiac, Shaka Zulu, etc. The online is dead, but if you're lucky and can still find people to play Risk with as an adult, I recommend trying it out.

The Onyx Edition is pretty goddamn sweet, but mine has a misprint that doesn't show the link between Greenland and Iceland. Just a heads up.

[quote name='wasurenai']The Onyx Edition is pretty goddamn sweet, but mine has a misprint that doesn't show the link between Greenland and Iceland. Just a heads up.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Same here. I think they're all like that.

can anyone else confirm that this deal is NOT ymmv? Im going out in a bit to check it out, but did anyone else find it at this price at their local B&N? Thanks!

I can confirm. Huge thanks to xenophreak, especially for posting in the wrong forum. :lol:

6f8975a3.jpg

The Onyx version of Stratego was also 75% off. The location on the receipt had two of each left.

DAMN THIS WEATHER!!!!!11! (...and having to work.) :wall:

Seems like every time we have a snow storm there's some amazing B&M sale.
And all of our nearest B&N are 40-50min drives.

[quote name='Corvin']I can confirm. Huge thanks to xenophreak, especially for posting in the wrong forum. :lol:

The Onyx version of Stratego was also 75% off. The location on the receipt had two of each left.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, Cool! glad I could help. So I guess this is NOT YMMV?
I would scan my receipt too, except that I'm not sure where I put it.

Hey guys, just picked mine up its 14.99 in store too. Btw you can get an additional 5 dollars off if you have a visa. You have to purchase something small maybe they have something for 1-2 dollars to get the total to be over 15 dollars. The coupon will give you 5 off of 15 dollars in store, which I used to pick up a bargain book and the game for like 17.99 since the bargain book was for 7 dollars. You can sign up and they will text message you your code to use in store.

http://www.visa.com/barnesandnoble/?utm_source=print-ad&utm_medium=link

About every week on the Xbox 360. Nice deal, but I need to branch away from RISK boards. I already have 4 (maybe 5?) so I don't really need another.

^ But this is the version that is closest to the Black Ops version that was never released. Actually this is nicer since it's a wooden board.

I love how about 5 people took this as a serious post. :lol:

[quote name='Corvin']^ But this is the version that is closest to the Black Ops version that was never released. Actually this is nicer since it's a wooden board.

I love how about 5 people took this as a serious post. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I know, my HA! Was not shared.

I looked this up on B&N's website and found a couple of reviews noting that two very important lines wer not printed on this version of the Risk board - that which connects Greenland to Iceland, and that which connects Great Briain to Western Europe, thereby removing key routes of invading Europe. Just a heads-up.

[quote name='"Buyer 1"']As I shopped in B&N the beautiful packaging for the Onyx edition of Risk caught my attention. I am an avid Risk fan and noticed a major flaw with the new edition from the image on the back. There is no longer a line connecting Greenland and Iceland thus preventing any chance of invading Europe or North America from very specific and elongated routes. Though the new variations with objectives and goals and pretty packaging look great, the change in game-play really stopped me from buying this. I don't know if this was intentional or just a missed detail but I took a pass on this one for that reason alone.[/quote]

[quote name='"Buyer 2"']
Misprinted Game Board - Greenland/Iceland & Great Britain/Western Europe Links Missing

The title says it all. They were in such a rush to get their holiday money that they made 2 huge mistakes in printing the board and those mistakes completely change the game if left uncorrected. Sadly, there is no offerred fix by the manufacturer...so you are left with using a permanent marker and a ruler to "correct" the print problem, or some such other cheesy home fix. Mistakes happen. To err is human. To not offer a fix for an obvious and significant production defect is a deliberate act, not an accident. How hard would it be for them to produce a high quality sticker to fix the print flaw? How expensive? They should have done better and they could have, but they decided that they would not. Thank you for your money, now shove off! And a cheery poke in the eye to you to, Hasborg![/quote]

Thanks OP. I would have missed this deal in the other forum.

Picked up Stratego Onyx. No Risk Onyx in my area.

I went to my local B&N but couldn't find Risk Onyx nor Stratego Onyx at the section where they normally place their games and the 75% off section. I guess the store doesn't have any left =/. Where did you guys find these games?

[quote name='CAG90210']I went to my local B&N but couldn't find Risk Onyx nor Stratego Onyx at the section where they normally place their games and the 75% off section. I guess the store doesn't have any left =/. Where did you guys find these games?[/QUOTE]

I got lucky. Mine had 0 in the game section or the clearance table. But I found a cart with 2 platinum monopoly sets with the same red circle stickers as the clearance stuff.

I was going to just get a price check but a worker approached and said he was moving them over to the clearance table. He said there wasnt anything else though. I grabed one and these two chicks grabbed the other.

[quote name='CAG90210']I went to my local B&N but couldn't find Risk Onyx nor Stratego Onyx at the section where they normally place their games and the 75% off section. I guess the store doesn't have any left =/. Where did you guys find these games?[/QUOTE]

Same here. San bruno ca has plenty of guiness world record games though =/. I went to another location and it was closed down.

Thanks OP!!
I called my local B&N and they put it on hold for me. Turns out they didn't even know they were on sale until I called. Thanks for posting in the wrong section, a deal this good can go anywhere you want it to!

Nothing left at the Salem, NH one :(
I'll be checking another as I ill be passing by it today while driving. I am really hoping to find a Risk

Color me impressed. 40+ posts and no forum nazis blasting this for being in the wrong forum. Some deals are too awesome to be buried in a sub-forum, IMO.

I opened my set last night and it's gorgeous. However, I can also confirm the missing lines between Greenland/Iceland & Great Britain/Western Europe. I'm not sure what to do about that. I work at a sign shop, so I might cut some vinyl stripes to stick on it. Not perfect, but probably a little nicer than a sharpie. :lol:

I was looking to get the Monopoly Platinum as an extremely early Christmas present for my dad, but sadly two stores around me didn't seem to have any...despite the online inventory saying otherwise. Oh well.

On a side note, one store had about 30 copies of Rolling Stones Monopoly and 20 or so Rolling Stones Trivial Pursuit. Maybe they're in a big Rolling Stones loving area, ordered a ton of these, but just couldn't sell them all?

[quote name='Corvin']Color me impressed. 40+ posts and no forum nazis blasting this for being in the wrong forum. Some deals are too awesome to be buried in a sub-forum, IMO.

I opened my set last night and it's gorgeous. However, I can also confirm the missing lines between Greenland/Iceland & Great Britain/Western Europe. I'm not sure what to do about that. I work at a sign shop, so I might cut some vinyl stripes to stick on it. Not perfect, but probably a little nicer than a sharpie. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Lol, yeah, i'm surprised too.

I also noticed the 2 missing lines. Maybe they're getting rid of these 1st edition boards so they can make a fixed 2nd edition?
What I did was get a piece of thin black tape to "draw" the missing connections.

ARGH... None in North Dallas. Seems like the last few were picked up yesterday.

My son has been bugging me to play Risk forever. I was hoping to get it on the cheap.

Thanks anyway!

Got the last Stratego: Onyx and Scrabble: Platinum in Winston Salem, NC. $12.50 a piece. Not bad!

They were in the display window in the front of the store. Don't forget to check there as well.

Edit: They still had another Monopoly: Platinum in the window when I left there at 2:00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got hosed at my B&N.
They had one left hiding underneath their 75% off table but it was opened and marked at 50% off. Took it up front to get the price checked and they said it rang up at full price but they'd give it to me for the 50% if I wanted it... acting like they were doing me a favor. Didn't buy it. It's HUGE and my roommate already owns a 40th Anniversary Edition of Risk with nice metal pieces so I didn't really need this one.

Mine had a Stratego, thanks OP. on a side note, they've also got the Metal Gear Solid version of Risk. Not on sale, $39.95 if anyone's been looking for one.

bread's done
Back