RISK Onyx Edition $15 at Barnes n Nobles YMMV

xenophreak

CAGiversary!
Not really a video game, but if you like board games, you probably love RISK.

This is the Onyx edition, exclusive to Barnes n Nobles, and one of the finest I've seen.

MSRP is usually $59.99, but I found one in the 75% off bargain bin at my local Barnes n Nobles in Orlando, FL (Colonial Drive).

Last week it was 50% off and they still had a few, but yesterday it was 75% off ($15), and they had only one left, so I decided to pick it up.

Prices and location may vary, but it's worth checking it out, IMO.

This is what it looks like($57.50 at Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/Risk-Onyx-Gam...9030/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327117420&sr=8-1

My store was giving out extra 25 percent coupons that could be used on the clearance. Unfortunately, they were out of the board games though.

[quote name='MidnightMarauder74']Saw 4 boxes of the Risk Onyx editions under the clearance table near the front door of the Chino Hills, CA, store. Wasn't interested so I passed.[/QUOTE]

I went to the one in Montclair CA! they were sold out and they told me they had two more at Chino Ehh but the drive was too far for me

[quote name='merkman']Was only one store in Western Washington with one left in stock. Made the drive and scored. Thanks OP!!![/QUOTE]

What stores in western WA did you go to exactly? I highly doubt you went to every single one lol.

[quote name='Trojann']I went to the one in Montclair CA! they were sold out and they told me they had two more at Chino Ehh but the drive was too far for me[/QUOTE]

Do you remember seeing any other Onyx editions like Stratego at the Montclair store?

Hit up the Lafayette, IN store. No go on Risk, but I did get an open box copy of Stratego. Was there supposed to be a couple of cloth pouches or something for the pieces? I have the feeling something is missing but I dunno what it might be.

[quote name='Corvin']Color me impressed. 40+ posts and no forum nazis blasting this for being in the wrong forum. Some deals are too awesome to be buried in a sub-forum, IMO.

I opened my set last night and it's gorgeous. However, I can also confirm the missing lines between Greenland/Iceland & Great Britain/Western Europe. I'm not sure what to do about that. I work at a sign shop, so I might cut some vinyl stripes to stick on it. Not perfect, but probably a little nicer than a sharpie. :lol:[/QUOTE]Some deals don't need to be in the main forum, so they're moved to a sub forum where they belong. ;)

And we don't need to blast it, we just move it.

Grabbed a platinum monopoly and stratego onyx for $12.49 each. Was actually looking to get a high quality edition of stratego too. Thanks for posting this.

If this is a common or semi common occurrence for board games to go this low at B&N maybe the name of this thread should be changed to "B&N board game clearance thread" Considering we are discussing at least 4 games now on clearance, I would be very interested to see others go on sale in the future. Especially after reading this article and witnessing first hand the expansive stock they now have and are growing.....

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/01/24/from-books-to-boards-how-barnes-noble-got-into-games/

[quote name='cag1000']If this is a common or semi common occurrence for board games to go this low at B&N...[/QUOTE]

As one-half of a couple of "board game hoarders," I can safely say this is absolutely not a common occurence for BN. This is simply a case of after-xmas overflow that they're trying to unload to make room.

The gf and I always thoroughly peruse the selection whenever we're in the area, and then we keep walking, knowing that just about any place has better prices than them. Just like the majority of their books, their games are almost always MSRP and never have markdowns or sales--at least not in recent memory, aside from percent-off "use credit card X" discounts of late.

If my local store had any left today they would have been $2. Picked up a Rolling Stones Trivial Pursuit and some stuff for my daughter for $2 though.

[quote name='avatar94']my roommate already owns a 40th Anniversary Edition of Risk with nice metal pieces so I didn't really need this one.[/QUOTE]

The 40th Anniversary Edition is by far the greatest version of Risk ever made. Luxurious felt-like bags to store all-metal miniature horses, men, & cannons and to top it all off: A boundary line between Great Britain & Western Europe.

Not to poo on the Onyx set, but anyone who hasn't/can't get in on this deal should check out the 40th Anniv. Edition on Amazon and the likes for about $25. It originally retailed for ~$50, I bought it during a B1G1Free TRU sale in 1999 picking up the Millennium Monopoly set with it. Greatest set of board games I own.

Late to get in on this, but dropped by BN today and managed to snag a stratego onyx for 2 bucks. Not my favorite game, but can't go wrong the price.

[quote name='Kerig']The 40th Anniversary Edition is by far the greatest version of Risk ever made. ...on Amazon and the likes for about $25.[/QUOTE]

Not sure when the last time you checked what prices were on Amazon, but the 40th Anniv. Ed goes for over $300? I spotted that when I was originally looking to see how good of a deal the Onyx Ed was.

Unless you're talking about the nostalgic editions that are shaped like books. But those wooden pieces, and that box? Meh.

I hope no one has defaced their Risk game yet. I played with a couple friends last night and those "missing lines" are very intentional. i.e. NOT A MISTAKE! I had played this version before but it's been a few years, so I forgot how it went.

In this version you have Captials & Cities, and color troops are set up a very specific way to start the game. Each player starts with 1 Capital, and to win you have to still own it at the end of the game. Each capital is in a very deliberate location that doesn't allow for easy invading. Long story short, Greenland is home to one of the capitals. By the way things are set up, each capital has two invade routes, but if Greenland had those lines, it would be the only capital susceptible to three routes of attack, putting it at a very distinct disadvantage.

Also, our game came down to taking Greenland. :lol: The game would have been far too easy with the traditional Risk lines.

I guess if you wanted to play traditional Risk with this set, you'd have to come to a pre-agreement about those lines existing.

[quote name='Corvin']I hope no one has defaced their Risk game yet. I played with a couple friends last night and those "missing lines" are very intentional. i.e. NOT A MISTAKE! I had played this version before but it's been a few years, so I forgot how it went.

In this version you have Captials & Cities, and color troops are set up a very specific way to start the game. Each player starts with 1 Capital, and to win you have to still own it at the end of the game. Each capital is in a very deliberate location that doesn't allow for easy invading. Long story short, Greenland is home to one of the capitals. By the way things are set up, each capital has two invade routes, but if Greenland had those lines, it would be the only capital susceptible to three routes of attack, putting it at a very distinct disadvantage.

Also, our game came down to taking Greenland. :lol: The game would have been far too easy with the traditional Risk lines.

I guess if you wanted to play traditional Risk with this set, you'd have to come to a pre-agreement about those lines existing.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played the Onyx version yet, but the revised edition has capitals and those lines on the board (but not on the setup card). Also, in the revised version Greenland is only a capital in the basic training setup. The Command Room game allows players to put capitals anywhere during the setup. Obviously with no line between Iceland and Greenland would make Greenland a very desirable location.

And all of this doesn't make sense of an intentional removal of the Britain/Western Europe line. History proves that is a valid invasion route, after all.

I guess I stand corrected. Looks like the Black Ops board which this is based has the lines as well as the now standard version.

Either way, the game we played w/o lines was very balanced, at least during the basic setup.

Anyone close by the Houston, TX area able to locate any of these board games? .. I cant find any of the board games .. its all sold out at the 3 stores I went .. good thing they are close by where I needed to go but sheesh .. all gone :(

bread's done
Back