Robocop Criterion Collection

No such thing as a good price on that. It's out of print so your looking at Ebay online, and pure dumb luck offline.

[quote name='furyk']No such thing as a good price on that. It's out of print so your looking at Ebay online, and pure dumb luck offline.[/QUOTE]
Wow, I didn't know this was out of print. My b/f got his copy a few years ago at Borders. His friend worked there, and he got it 10% off. Try checking there.

[quote name='Burchamj']why do you want it? Alternate Scenes? I beleive those are in the trilogy box set.[/quote]

Its Criterion. If you care nothing about the quality of the picture/sound/etc, then don't worry about it. Only Criterion DVDs I have are The Rock and Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas. I desperatly wish I had the Criterion release of Silence of the Lambs, as its the only version that has commentary by Anthony Hopkins and Jody Foster. That alone is worth it

Actually, even if you are going for the best picture, the criterion is not the way to go. The new MGM dvd is uncut like the criterion, and it is anamorphic which the criterion is not.

[quote name='fieldkillah']Actually, even if you are going for the best picture, the criterion is not the way to go. The new MGM dvd is uncut like the criterion, and it is anamorphic which the criterion is not.[/QUOTE]

Yes. The new DVD looks slightly better thanks to being anamorphic, and the extras are basically just as good, and you can get it with the other two movies (even though 3 is total crap) for less than you'd find the criterion version.

Honestly, I didn't even bother with the trilogy boxset (though I sort of would like to see 2 again) and the criterion isn't really worth it either. The extras just aren't very impressive on either, and the "uncut" version is just not better. It adds like 2 seconds of violence in the opening ed-209 killing and the scene where Murphy gets blasted, big whoop.

[quote name='fieldkillah']Actually, even if you are going for the best picture, the criterion is not the way to go. The new MGM dvd is uncut like the criterion, and it is anamorphic which the criterion is not.[/quote]

Its the same for Silence of the Lambs. Seems like once Orion folded, they decided to give the movies anamorphic transfers

[quote name='fieldkillah']Actually, even if you are going for the best picture, the criterion is not the way to go. The new MGM dvd is uncut like the criterion, and it is anamorphic which the criterion is not.[/QUOTE]

It depends on what you mean by best picture. Yes anamorphic is ideal, but there are some other video issues with the newer discs. Check this review:

http://www.dvdmg.com/robocoptrilogy.shtml

This also points out that the commentaries are different on the 2 different discs.

All the same, I would definately go with the cheaper, anamorphic, option. It has more extras and is only 7$ at DDD. (even though I own the Criterion and like it)

I got mine from wherehouse.com, it was something like in the $20s, but it didnt cost me that much since I had FYE credit. FYE/wherehouse/coconuts tend to give some idiotic trade in values on some things( ie powedrome gets $9 in credit). Wherehouse rarely has it in stock, but just keep checking and you might get lucky. Same thing happend to me with the Silence of the Lambs criterion.

The criterion version is the only version that has the director's preferred aspect ratio, while the trilogy version has the theatrical aspect ratio.

You can see a comparison here.

http://dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare3/robocop.htm

Also, if you want the uncut version, you have to buy the trilogy or the criterion. The robocop dvd that is seperate from the trilogy is the R rated cut.

[quote name='dopehat']Considering it says Rated:R I would say yes.[/QUOTE]

I saw that, but the trilogy listing says it is rated R as well, even though people on here are saying otherwise.

[quote name='starman9000']I saw that, but the trilogy listing says it is rated R as well, even though people on here are saying otherwise.[/QUOTE]

The trilogy box set has 3 different ratings, unrated for Robocop, R for robocop 2, and pg-13 for robocop 3. Kinda funny since the unrated robocop was going to be rated X until they recut it(seems they were alot more strict in the 80s). So you basically have an X, R, and PG-13.

I'm a huge stickler for uncut stuff, but even I don't really care about the uncut version of robocop. It's just plain not better. You get to see an additional 1 second of the guy getting blasted by ed-209 and like...an extra closeup of murphy's hand exploding. Not worth the extra 13+ dollars for the set or criterion, imo. The commentary might be really great or something, but I kind of doubt it (Verhoeven's are hit and miss...the total recall one flat out sucks, but the starship troopers one is HILARIOUS).

From the top of my head, the extended scenes are:

1. when ED-209 turns Kinney into hamburger. He just gets shot a whole hell of a lot more.

2. when Clarence and gang kill Murphy. This scene has a good bit added back in. Like when his hand gets blown away, and I think when they shoot off his arm. There is also the part when the camera pans around Rob Bottin's maquette of Murphy then gets the back end of its head blown away.

3. when Clarence runs over melted Emil in the mill. I'm not certain if this is in the editted version, but this is when Emil explodes over Clarence's windshield.

4. when Robocop stabs Clarence in the neck with his data spike. In the editted version, we don't see where he gets stabbed, nor does Robocop get splashed with his blood.

[quote name='pinoy530']The trilogy box set has 3 different ratings, unrated for Robocop, R for robocop 2, and pg-13 for robocop 3. Kinda funny since the unrated robocop was going to be rated X until they recut it(seems they were alot more strict in the 80s). So you basically have an X, R, and PG-13.[/QUOTE]

And yet 16 Candles had frontal (not full though IIRC) female nudity and only had a PG-13...

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']From the top of my head, the extended scenes are:

1. when ED-209 turns Kinney into hamburger. He just gets shot a whole hell of a lot more.

2. when Clarence and gang kill Murphy. This scene has a good bit added back in. Like when his hand gets blown away, and I think when they shoot off his arm. There is also the part when the camera pans around Rob Bottin's maquette of Murphy then gets the back end of its head blown away.

3. when Clarence runs over melted Emil in the mill. I'm not certain if this is in the editted version, but this is when Emil explodes over Clarence's windshield.

4. when Robocop stabs Clarence in the neck with his data spike. In the editted version, we don't see where he gets stabbed, nor does Robocop get splashed with his blood.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I didn't notice that last one. The third one is the same in the edited version, I remember thinking that would be something that would be longer in the uncut version, but it wasn't.

Honestly, I don't think that Robocop is a very good example of the criterion collection. The only reason I bought it when I did was because of the additional footage-otherwise, I would have picked up the regular one. The extras on it are very, very weak.

If you want a good example of a criterion DVD, check out Brazil. That's a great set.

[quote name='moonphrogg']Honestly, I don't think that Robocop is a very good example of the criterion collection. The only reason I bought it when I did was because of the additional footage-otherwise, I would have picked up the regular one. The extras on it are very, very weak.

If you want a good example of a criterion DVD, check out Brazil. That's a great set.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but wait until the new edition of Brazil comes out before checking it out.

[quote name='moonphrogg']They're puting a new criterion edition of brazil out?? What's this one gonna have?[/QUOTE]

Disc 1 will now have (from Criterion's page)

"All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Terry Gilliam, with a remastered Dolby stereo surround soundtrack—NOW IN ANAMORPHIC!!"

The rest of the set will be the same. Disc 1 will also be sold separately for $29.99 MSRP for people who already have the old version of the set. It also looks like the packaging will use the new Criterion logo design.

bread's done
Back