Robotech: The New Generation Collection 6 or 7 $11.24!!

davelin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Today's Advfilms.com daily special:

Robotech: The New Generation Collection 6: The Robotech Legacy
$11.24

Robotech: The New Generation Collection 7: The Robotech Legacy
$11.24

Link:
http://www.advfilms.com/dailysales.asp

It seems to be a good deal as far as price goes. However, I was hoping someone with knowledge of Robotech as a series to comment on whether or not these two series are any good. And it'd be great if someone can tell me how all the robotech series are connected (chronology? Japan vs. U.S. version?) and which ones are worth getting. Thanks in advance.

That's a really good deal, I paid $32 for each of those box sets when they came out. Both of these box sets make up the entire New Generation series, you don't really need box sets 1-3(Macross Saga) or 4-5(Robotech Masters) to get into this series. I like New Generation a lot, but my favorite will always be the Macross Saga. As for chronology, from what I understand in Japan the 3 series that make up what we know as Robotech were actually 3 entirely different shows that were not connected.

Note that there is also a remastered version of these discs that came out later, with improved audio and visuals. But you don't get the extras disc with the remastered version like you do with this version. I prefer this original version over the remastered version, mainly because of the extras and it looks and sounds the same as I remember it when I was a teenager. For $22.50 for the set I'd say go for it.

Yeah I think it was 3 dirrenet series in Japan that they spliced together to create what is essentially Robotech. As far as the chronoolgoy for the actual Robotech series it goes liek this IIRC:

Macross Saga -- 1999-2015
Masters Saga -- 2015-2030
New Genreation -- 2030- 2045

Now the 3 series in which it's based are Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. I could be worng but I think the series connections go like this:

Macross Saga - Macross
Masters - Southern Cross
New Genreation - Mosepeada

Also there was others things like an ill-fated movie and Robotech the Sentials which was scraped after like 2 episodes and I think all of the parts of series and some Macross spliced in.

Now for buying them, I'd only get Macross Saga unless you are a diehard fan. But if you want to collect the whole series, I'd go with the the Remastered Editions, but maybe that's just me.

Macross is, by far, the best chapter in the series. New Generation, however, is very good. Stay away from the Masters, though. If you want a much more thorough anaylsis on anything Robotech, go to www.Robotech.com. I agree with Redline regarding the remastered DVDs - if you're getting the set for nostalgia, go with the old DVD set. The new remastered DVDs have new opening and closing credits, plus added footage.

bread's done
Back