Rock Band 1 Xbox 360 drums for $29.99 shipped

So what's the difference between RB1 and RB2 drums. I heard that RB2 drums were better, but at this price, there would need to be a very good reason the prefer RB2 drums over these

Can someone confirm GS price for Rock Band (1) drums? I saw them for $29.99 new at one store, and if you can find them used, i imagine they'd be: 1. cheaper than that, and 2. eligible for the 20% off used accessories coupon that's floating around.

[quote name='Escargoexpress']So what's the difference between RB1 and RB2 drums. I heard that RB2 drums were better, but at this price, there would need to be a very good reason the prefer RB2 drums over these[/quote]

RB2 drums have aluminum pedals instead of just a plastic one. Apparently a good numbers of people managed to break the plastic ones that the RB1 had. That's the only difference I'm aware of.

Nice post! I didn't know these were this cheap. I'm not in for 1, but my friend probably will be as he's looking to cheaply build up a whole band. I already told him about the $10 Xplorer guitars. Now all he needs is a mic.

And as for the RB1/RB2 thing, I think the RB2 drums are wireless as well.

[quote name='monkeydoodle']RB2 drums have aluminum pedals instead of just a plastic one. Apparently a good numbers of people managed to break the plastic ones that the RB1 had. That's the only difference I'm aware of.[/QUOTE]

I broke 3 RB1 pedals.

The RB2 set has an aluminum pedal, the drums are quieter and more reliable, and cymbal expansion ports that the RB1 set does not have. Plus RB2 set is wireless. If you're just a casual user, $30 for RB1 set is great, but if you think you'll get into it and want the cymbals and don't like click-clack noises, you may want to pay for RB2. They all work with GH WT as far as I know (with one less note lane).

[quote name='Griffey867']do these work with guitar hero world tour?[/quote]Yes. I bought these from GS last weekend and picked up the cheap GHWT guitar bundle at Costco I posted and it works fine. I played the GHWT drums at Beast Buy and as the poster above me mentions, there is one less note lane. (Didn't try the same songs to compare patterns. Sorry.) The soft GHWT drum heads are more responsive and quieter, but also cost hella more.

With all the cheap deals for bundles like GH3/GHA for $30-$40 at Meijer and Target, these drums, etc., it's possible to put together a full band for half of what the new boxed versions would cost, albeit with trade-offs. You can't do the drum tutorials in GHWT with these drums. Activating Star Power/Overdrive isn't obvious.

From Amazon description:
  • Features four durable drum pads, a redesigned kick-pedal, a drum stand, and authentic wooden sticks. Game sold separately.
  • New sound-dampening, velocity-sensitive heads for more expressive performances
  • Metal-reinforced, ultra-durable foot pedal stands up to the aggressive drumming
  • Built-in cymbal and hi-hat expansion port to upgrade/customize your kit. (Cymbals and hi-hat sold separately)
  • Wireless Rock Band 2 Drum Set
BTW, I wouldn't buy a used drum set. Everyone I have played with pretty much beats the hell out of the drums. Just my experience though.

The RB2 drumset overall is a much, much better kit than the RB1 drums: better build quality overall, more reliable and quieter pads that give really good bounce-back (key for those really fast drum patterns), good wireless signal, sturdier kick pedal, plus the option for cymbals. At $30 versus $80-$90, it's hard to say whether the differences are worth it for you ... but if you really get into drums, you'll definitely want the new kit one way or another.

Alternatively, if you have the RB1 kit, but eventually want to buy quieter drum pads to reduce noise ($10 to $20, unless you make your own) and need to replace the kick pedal if it breaks (also $10-ish), the price difference may not be that great.

definitely tempting.. ive never tried drums and this may be a nice cheap way to try them out..

may jump on the 29.99 price instore at bb. got gift cards to burn

The velocity sensitive feature on the RB2 drums is almost worthless; unless you have the volume really cranked up, the "clip clap" of hitting the drums drowns out the game's drum track anyway.

But there definitely are some big advantages. The drums ARE quieter and have significantly better bounce (far easier to get rolls going). The metal foot pedal is also crooked; I haven't met any frequent players (who play on expert) that did not crack at least one of the plastic pedals.

For those of you who are planning to pick up Rock Band 1 drums, please read the following thread. A lot of useful information on Rock Band 1 drums.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204771

I would also recommend that you pick them up in person at BB. That way you can tell if they are EL or QM. QM being the preferred drums, since they are more sensitive and work with the official drum silencers.

http://www.fakeplasticrock.com/2008/04/08/how-to-identify-your-rock-band-drum-set/

[quote name='jdeluis']For those of you who are planning to pick up Rock Band 1 drums, please read the following thread. A lot of useful information on Rock Band 1 drums.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204771

I would also recommend that you pick them up in person at BB. That way you can tell if they are EL or QM. QM being the preferred drums, since they are more sensitive and work with the official drum silencers.

http://www.fakeplasticrock.com/2008/04/08/how-to-identify-your-rock-band-drum-set/[/quote]

thanks for that.. anyway to tell without opening what model you are getting?

[quote name='guyver2077']thanks for that.. anyway to tell without opening what model you are getting?[/quote]
Nope, you can't find out without opening them.

I ordered this today on Amazon but then found out that best buy has it for $29.99 in store, so I went to cancel the amazon order and it says shipping soon can't cancel. It is BS because it says they aren't shipping it until Monday. Maybe I can just buy one at Best Buy then when the one from Amazon comes I can return it to Best Buy. They wouldn't charge me a restocking fee or anything would they?

I prefer the Rock Band 2 drums since it's way easier to do drum rolls on it. It has a medal pedal but the bottom part is still plastic so it still can break.Velocity sensitive(pretty worthless), Wireless (so that means it uses batteries).I've broken 2 Rock Band 1 drums and I am on my third one and this is one is broken too but I can't return it anymore.

[quote name='GameOnJohn']I ordered this today on Amazon but then found out that best buy has it for $29.99 in store, so I went to cancel the amazon order and it says shipping soon can't cancel. It is BS because it says they aren't shipping it until Monday. Maybe I can just buy one at Best Buy then when the one from Amazon comes I can return it to Best Buy. They wouldn't charge me a restocking fee or anything would they?[/quote]

Nope no extra charges. Just return the one you did not use. I did the exact same thing when Circuit City had them for $30 but only had the EL model. Went to Best Buy and purchased QM at regular price and later returned the EL models to Best Buy.

[quote name='guyver2077']thanks for that.. anyway to tell without opening what model you are getting?[/quote]
for the RB1 drums, no. for the RB2 drums, yes...

for the RB1 drums, just open the flaps on the top of the box, and the serial number is stamped on one of the side flaps, obviously the EL kits end in EL and the QM kits end in QM. it's easier than taking the drum pads out of the box and trying to find out where the serial number is, and less obvious too. if anyone says anything, just tell them you're trying to find out what model it is, and you're not touching anything in the box...

for the RB2 drums, the serial number is stamped on the outside of the white box, so either pull the sleeve back or slide it down to see it. and the same goes for the special edition, the drum serial number is also stamped on the outside of the box, so you can check it before you break the seal on the box...

Escargoexpress,

The Cymbal pack add-ons just give you an alternate pad to play. The colors of the cymbals correspond to the color of the pad on the game. It is just way to get a more authentic feel of playing a real electronic set. (Nothing beats a real live drumset, though, IMO).

So, yes, they work with all DLC.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Damn, I got an EL from Best Buy.[/quote]

Go look for the QM. Best Buy should not give you any trouble when looking for the specific model. A Best Buy employee helped me look though 4-5 boxes before we found the correct one. After you grab the QM drums, just wait a week and return the EL model.

[quote name='lunker']The RB2 drumset overall is a much, much better kit than the RB1 drums: better build quality overall, more reliable and quieter pads that give really good bounce-back (key for those really fast drum patterns), good wireless signal, sturdier kick pedal, plus the option for cymbals. At $30 versus $80-$90, it's hard to say whether the differences are worth it for you ... but if you really get into drums, you'll definitely want the new kit one way or another.

Alternatively, if you have the RB1 kit, but eventually want to buy quieter drum pads to reduce noise ($10 to $20, unless you make your own) and need to replace the kick pedal if it breaks (also $10-ish), the price difference may not be that great.[/QUOTE]

Everything lunker is saying is true. I had the old drums, hated them, got the new drums, love them. The extra bounce and sensitivity are fantastic, and the quietness is a nice bonus.

[quote name='jdeluis']Go look for the QM. Best Buy should not give you any trouble when looking for the specific model. A Best Buy employee helped me look though 4-5 boxes before we found the correct one. After you grab the QM drums, just wait a week and return the EL model.[/QUOTE]

The issue is finding them. They are a damn rare breed to find any.

I should at least be able to play the Intermediate Snare Drum training, though. Half of the hits aren't registering.

wtf..i think i got ripped.

got home and started to assemble..this shit didnt bring any drum sticks.. plus on top of that i dont see thebreakaway cable that connects to the 360

looks like ill have to return this today.. how annoying

edit- returned it but they had no other sets available.. got my money back..

o well guess ill just wait a bit longer.. i did notice that the rb2 wireless drums were 49.99 at bb today..

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='guyver2077']i did notice that the rb2 wireless drums were 49.99 at bb today..[/quote]
that's strange, because they're still $89.99 online...

but i did notice that the 3 cymbal pack is back in stock on their online store, which is VERY rare...

[quote name='guyver2077']looks like ill have to return this today.. how annoying

edit- returned it but they had no other sets available.. got my money back..

o well guess ill just wait a bit longer.. i did notice that the rb2 wireless drums were 49.99 at bb today..[/QUOTE]

Wait...what?

bread's done
Back