Rock Band 2 named "Game of the Decade" by AP

I think it deserves it. It shows how well DLC can support a game, and the online is great no matter what console you play it on. Also its another way to bring people into music.

Edit: Of course I mean this gen. Not THE DECADE.

Last edited by a moderator:
the 1999-2009 decade or the 2000-2010 decade? If they are speaking for next year as well I think they got ahead of themselves. I can think of MANY games better than Rock Band 2. I love RB2 and own it but my last couple games have been far and away better gaming experiences...

[quote name='Malik112099']the 1999-2009 decade or the 2000-2010 decade? If they are speaking for next year as well I think they got ahead of themselves. I can think of MANY games better than Rock Band 2. I love RB2 and own it but my last couple games have been far and away better gaming experiences...[/QUOTE]

It's 2000 - 2009

1. 2000
2. 2001
3. 2002
4. 2003
5. 2004
6. 2005
7. 2006
8. 2007
9. 2008
10. 2009

Just like the 90's decade was 1990 - 1999

[quote name='Malik112099']the 1999-2009 decade or the 2000-2010 decade? If they are speaking for next year as well I think they got ahead of themselves. I can think of MANY games better than Rock Band 2. I love RB2 and own it but my last couple games have been far and away better gaming experiences...[/QUOTE]

I don't know if they are saying it's the BEST game. I think it's a valid choice if they are linking it to the way it reinvented (or at least reinvigorated) an entire music genre and brought in lots of people who had never played a game before. Plus there is no doubt it exposed a whole lot of classic rock songs to a whole new audience - my daughter has discovered a love for many classic and current bands through the game.

Although I guess if that was the criteria technically Rock Band 1, or even Guitar Hero 1, should be the game of the decade.

A single author, some random guy from the AP is saying it's the Game of the Decade. You can bet if you polled 100 differed AP writers you'd get a different result.

[quote name='benjamouth']Pfft, Rock Band 2 isn't even a proper game, it's Simon Says combined with Karaoke.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause: And I sucked at Simon back in the day too.

I dunno, game of the decade seems kind of stupid. It's hard enough to have a game of the year, and it's almost always going to be a game released late in the year, so now game of the decade of course is a game that came out about a year ago.

But tell me AP, what is the best game since the cretaceous!?

of course it isnt to real gamers but that game has reached out to so many gamers/nongamers that thats why they consider it game of the year. theres people who bought consoles just so they could play this game and all the other fake music games its crazy. that said i dont know what i would consider game of the decade its easier to go by game of the year but game of the decade?

Meh, I think RB2 is where the guitar games took a turn for the worse, moreso than Guitar Hero Treyarch. The career mode was a grindfest worse than a JRPG. It was NOT FUN unlocking all the songs. After completing the grueling career mode this past January, I haven't felt the same fire to play a GH/RB game ever since.

Sorry to take it off topic but...
It's Simon, not Simon says.
And
A decade is ten years, not eleven even if you count wrong. So it would be either 2000-2009 or 2001-2010.

On topic though, RB2 is a great game. I've enjoyed it since it came out, but it's not my game of the decade. I'm not going there.

[quote name='maximumzero']I'd say that the game of the decade is Wii Sports.

It expanded the audience for videogames like no other game before it had done.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with this.

I don't think the RB/GH games are good... I mean, in a decade which gave us BioShock, Fallout 3, GTAIV, MW, Halo 2, Half-Life, Metroid Prime, RE4, WoW, Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 2, and many others, it's hard to consider RB2 game of the decade.

[quote name='maximumzero']I'd say that the game of the decade is Wii Sports.

It expanded the audience for videogames like no other game before it had done.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='schuerm26']I would agree with this.[/QUOTE]

I agree as well. My Wii is only useful as a paperweight and Nintendo hasn't made a quality Wii game since Mario Galaxy but there's no question that Wii Sports changed the gaming landscape, whether you like it or not.

RB2 isn't a bad choice if you're forced to pick one, which is a pointless effort in the first place. It's pretty much the pinnacle of a genre that was created in and practically took over the decade. My only issue here is that RB is the one that really broke everything open - but at the same time, RB2 is much improved over the first one, so...no issues with the choice I suppose. The DLC (which is a whole other major factor in the last 10 years) plan has set the bar for all other games, regardless of genre.

Wii Sports would be runner up I suppose...World of Warcraft not far behind.

[quote name='benjamouth']Pfft, Rock Band 2 isn't even a proper game, it's Simon Says combined with Karaoke.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. And Wii Sports is just waving your arms around. World of Warcraft is staring at a screen going "click, click, click, click, click, click" with your mouse. So what?

Wii sports was just how nintendo showed you the Wii's capabilities, and since it was bundled software I don't think the game itself would be deserving of game of the decade...maybe honorable mention. The groundbreaking technology and experience was the wii mote and nunchuck in this case. Wii sports was like an awesome appetitizer.

As for RB(2), it's the only game that continues to have popular DLC, licenses from popular and independent artists, a truck load of aftermarket products to enchance your experience. Also RB comeptitions are still popular in gamestores, bars, and even televised ones for large somes of money. While some of the other games might have had local shops with "halo" nights I don't know any FPS bars still open or were ever open. It's also one of the few games that has 4 player cooperative play vs. competitive on one screen/on console each with it's open difficulty setting.

I have mixed feelings about WoW, but being a subcription based game and although highly successful it doesn't seem as easily accessible to the open public.

...but these are the opinions of a gamer.

[quote name='KaneRobot']
Yeah. And Wii Sports is just waving your arms around. World of Warcraft is staring at a screen going "click, click, click, click, click, click" with your mouse. So what?[/QUOTE]

lol

While RB2 isn't my pick for my favorite game of the decade (like I'd ever try to pick such a thing), I think it can be easily justified for all the reasons outlined above.

It isn't polarizing like Wii Sports or something like World of Warcraft can be. Very few people genuinely hate RB2 because it offers something for everyone. The difficulty ranges from ludicrously easy to as hard as you need it to be, there is a huge variety of music to appeal to most tastes, and it is easy to get into.

[quote name='Halo05']While RB2 isn't my pick for my favorite game of the decade (like I'd ever try to pick such a thing), I think it can be easily justified for all the reasons outlined above.

It isn't polarizing like Wii Sports or something like World of Warcraft can be. Very few people genuinely hate RB2 because it offers something for everyone. The difficulty ranges from ludicrously easy to as hard as you need it to be, there is a huge variety of music to appeal to most tastes, and it is easy to get into.[/QUOTE]

Wait...how exactly is Wii Sports polarizing? If you've got working limbs you can play Wii Sports.

Whereas Rock Band 2 requires more hand-eye coordination.

[quote name='100xp']Wii sports was just how nintendo showed you the Wii's capabilities, and since it was bundled software I don't think the game itself would be deserving of game of the decade[/QUOTE]

Okay guys, Super Mario Bros. is officially disqualified from being game of the 80s. Find a new game, pronto.

Wii Sports is polarizing in the sense that the hardcore-types frequently shit upon it and/or point to it as evidence of Nintendo's abandoning the people who have supporting videogaming before it became an industry to rival major motion pictures.

I'm simply contending that there are fewer people out there that say, "God I fucking hate Rock Band" compared to the number of people that will say the same thing about the Wii in general or Wii Sports in particular.

bread's done
Back