Rock Band 3 Midi Adapter back in stock , $35.99 [email protected]

Gojimaster

CAG Veteran
PS3 adapter finally back in stock after a couple months.

Use SPRING11 to get free shipping and 10% off. I got mine shipped for $35.99. It is currently going for 79.99 on amazon. The 360 MIDI adapter is selling for 64.99 on amazon.

It is required to play a MIDI keyboard or a MIDI guitar such as the Fender Squier on Rock Band 3. The 360 MIDI adapter is also available at this same price. If you guys don't currently have RB3 it is currently selling for 19.99 at best buy, and around the same price at amazon. Definitely get it.

http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=323

thanks for this post! in for a 360 one before they go out again. Guess having a short supply does increase demand as I don't even have RB3 yet but worried I won't be able to find one of these when I finally pick it up!

I can wait for a price drop once supply is greater than demand. Do think this will happen anything soon? I'm able to wait a good 4 months or so, just bought RB3 with Amazon Prime for $20. I would pay around $25 or so max for this, but not $36.

[quote name='eagles5769']I can wait for a price drop once supply is greater than demand. Do think this will happen anything soon? I'm able to wait a good 4 months or so, just bought RB3 with Amazon Prime for $20. I would pay around $25 or so max for this, but not $36.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. There has yet to be a point where supply>demand on these, they sell out within days

[quote name='eagles5769']I can wait for a price drop once supply is greater than demand. Do think this will happen anything soon? I'm able to wait a good 4 months or so, just bought RB3 with Amazon Prime for $20. I would pay around $25 or so max for this, but not $36.[/QUOTE]

This is a terrible idea. RB3 has already been on the market for 6 months now. Madcatz is making these PS3 adapters in very limited quantities. RB3 didn't do that well and the music genre has utterly fallen apart. I don't think Madcatz will be making another batch of MIDI adapters. The only reason they manufactured this batch was because the Squier was recently released in March. After this, there will be nothing to spur demand and no incentive for Madcatz to make anymore. I would get one today while they are actually on sale with free shipping. The PS3 adapter, especially, has been virtually impossible to find.

[quote name='Gojimaster']This is a terrible idea. RB3 has already been on the market for 6 months now. Madcatz is making these PS3 adapters in very limited quantities. RB3 didn't do that well and the music genre has utterly fallen apart. I don't think Madcatz will be making another batch of MIDI adapters. The only reason they manufactured this batch was because the Squier was recently released in March. After this, there will be nothing to spur demand and no incentive for Madcatz to make anymore. I would get one today while they are actually on sale with free shipping. The PS3 adapter, especially, has been virtually impossible to find.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 midi adapter is the only one I've ever seen in stores. They always seem to be in stock at a Best Buy that I frequent.

[quote name='200STM']would these work with a bass like any common bass instrument?[/QUOTE]

no it wouldn't. There are a lot of threads on the rockband.com forums about how to hook up various unofficial guitars into the game. However, these guitars are MIDI guitars or they are hooked into a MIDI sound device of some type. I don't recall seeing a Pro-Bass mode on rockband 3 though- someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There is a game called Rocksmith that is coming out this fall by ubisoft. It will allow players to plug in any electric guitar or acoustic with an amplifier cable directly into the PS3/360 console. I am actually much more excited about Rocksmith than RB3, but once again I doubt this game will support much bass play.

Holy crap the price skyrocketed! I preordered a 360 adapter from Amazon in November for $29.99 (on sale for $10 off) and received it in February.

If you're going to get one, buy soon while they're still in stock. If you find a Best Buy or other retailer like this who has it in stock for original retail price, I'd suggest going for it. You can hold out and hope to save $5-10, but be aware that they'll go out of stock real fast.

Here's a good FAQ explaining some of the adapter features, including the manual.
Note that you need to already have a MIDI cable, because it doesn't come with one.

[quote name='Gojimaster'] I don't recall seeing a Pro-Bass mode on rockband 3 though- someone correct me if I'm wrong. [/QUOTE]
There's Pro Guitar and Pro Bass.
Along with the Pro set of instruments, you can also use the Squier as bass (which I imagine would be awkward).

[quote name='eagles5769']Good thing I didn't buy it. Just found out my keyboard is not MIDI.[/QUOTE]

Time for a new keyboard, then!

I paid full price cause nobody could answer the big question i needed. There must of been someone that ordered from there that could of helped. So unlike cag people... Oh well time is money and i spent to much time on it.

I'm currently learning guitar, so I figured "Hey, what the hell?" and pulled the trigger. I'll pick up the guitar and game later in the week; I'm hoping it'll be an instrumental tool for practicing and learning.

Went ahead and got one. My wife has shown an interest in using her sit down keyboard with Rock Band 3 and I just picked up RB3 at Best Buy, so might as well get this for $36 shipped while its still available. Her Casio has both MIDI In and Out connections and they are the 5 pin DIN style, so hopefully it works.

I ordered this from madcatz store last week when it got posted, bought the squier, but got antsy and went to best buy and found a 360 adapter for 39. Went ahead and bought it, and I'll keep the 35.99 one for whenever my wife gets a new keyboard.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']I ordered this from madcatz store last week when it got posted, bought the squier, but got antsy and went to best buy and found a 360 adapter for 39. Went ahead and bought it, and I'll keep the 35.99 one for whenever my wife gets a new keyboard.[/QUOTE]

You found the midi adapter at Best Buy? I've looked there but didn't see it.

[quote name='Indiana']I don't think that it would because it would not provide the Xbox controls that you need. However I don't have the game can someone else comment? That thing is crazy cheap.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you would lose the "touch sensor" feature... so for beginners trying to learn guitar with this thing, the extra $30 is worth it.

[quote name='Indiana']You found the midi adapter at Best Buy? I've looked there but didn't see it.[/QUOTE]

My best buy has a musical instrument section, and thats where it was located. They had a display up with the strat as a demo and had one midi adapter above it.

[quote name='Gojimaster']no it wouldn't. There are a lot of threads on the rockband.com forums about how to hook up various unofficial guitars into the game. However, these guitars are MIDI guitars or they are hooked into a MIDI sound device of some type. I don't recall seeing a Pro-Bass mode on rockband 3 though- someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There is a game called Rocksmith that is coming out this fall by ubisoft. It will allow players to plug in any electric guitar or acoustic with an amplifier cable directly into the PS3/360 console. I am actually much more excited about Rocksmith than RB3, but once again I doubt this game will support much bass play.[/QUOTE]

I wanted to get the squier and learn to play guitar using RB3, but then again, I didn't know about the game Rocksmith coming out. I've already got an electric guitar ...why would anyone buy the squier with Rocksmith coming out? (assuming they have a guitar already?). Thanks for the post .. Ill just wait.

[quote name='ploppsdman']I wanted to get the squier and learn to play guitar using RB3, but then again, I didn't know about the game Rocksmith coming out. I've already got an electric guitar ...why would anyone buy the squier with Rocksmith coming out? (assuming they have a guitar already?). Thanks for the post .. Ill just wait.[/QUOTE]

I see two probable/definite shortcomings with Rocksmith vs. the Squier and Rock Band:
1) As a MIDI guitar with sensors for each string and fret, the Squier allows RB3 to know exactly where your fingers are positioned on the fretboard at all times. This allows for real-time feedback on whether you are pressing the rights strings at the right fret even when you aren't picking/strumming. Visually, RB3 displays this information to you during the practice/training sessions.

For Rocksmith, there is absolutely now way it can provide this level of interactive feedback using a standard guitar...EVER.

2) As a MIDI guitar, the Squier allows RB3 to know exactly which string is being picked/strummed and at which fret. It doesn't matter if your Squier is in tune or not, the accuracy of this information will still be pretty much perfect every time.

Rocksmith on the other hand has to convert the analog signal (which blends the sounds of all 6 strings into a single waveform) coming out of your guitar into a digital signal that can then be analyzed in an attempt to figure out which string you picked/strummed and at which frets each of your fingers were at. Of course, if your guitar is out of tune, this will only make the process more unreliable.

I'm sure Rocksmith will have a calibration process (possibly a very frequent process) that allows it to understand the baseline for your guitar's output, but the process of extracting the information about what you are doing with the guitar from the analog waveform is very likely going to be an imperfect process.

Don't misunderstand me...I think Rocksmith sounds pretty cool and I hope they figure out a way to make it work reliably, but even if the do an awesome job, this approach will always have shortcomings compared to the Squier/RB3 approach (particularly item 1, above). That doesn't mean it doesn't have some advantages over the Squier/RB3 approach (you can buy 1 really good guitar for the price of the Squier) and it may actually force you to keep your guitar in tune.

I suspect the probable shortcomings of the Rocksmith approach may result in a lot of frustration for a lot of people, but I'm going to keep an open mind until they release it and we can see how it really works.

Here's one for the CAG braintrust...

PS3 Fender Mustang for $90 OR MIDI adaptor for $36 (already have a MIDI keyboard)?

As an aside, can't believe I'm putting more ca$h towards my closet full of plastic instruments....

Since we're talking about Rock Band, anyone that's looking for a Keyboard to use with RB3, the MadCatz "keytar" is on sale at GameStop for $59.99.

Details posted over in this thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8365174#post8365174

As far as choosing between the Mustang or the MIDI adapter...that depends on whether you want to play "real" instruments or play a more challenging game. If the former, then get the adapter and use your real MIDI keyboard (or get the Rock Band Fender Squier for an additional $280). If the latter, get the Mustang and play a more challenging game guitar (with other cool features).

With Rock Band 3's PRO mode, you run the risk of slipping out of CAG territory and into "expensive musician hobby" territory because as far as I know, there isn't a CAM forum anywhere (Cheap Ass Musician). Musical equipment is like photographic or stereo equipment, the more you get into it the more expensive the gear gets. Gaming is a much more cost-effective hobby compared to others.

[quote name='jling84']Do you need one of these if you are going to hook electronic drums?[/QUOTE]

Yes, if your electronic drums have MIDI output and you want to use them with RB3, you'll need this. The MIDI adapter has 3 settings: drums, keyboard and guitar.

But you don't need it if you are just going to use the Rock Band or Guitar Hero drum set.

[quote name='DeSquared']Here's one for the CAG braintrust...

PS3 Fender Mustang for $90 OR MIDI adaptor for $36 (already have a MIDI keyboard)?

As an aside, can't believe I'm putting more ca$h towards my closet full of plastic instruments....[/QUOTE]

I've already spent $166 thus far to buy the Pro Drum Set, game, and Midi adapter.

I was looking at the Squier, but I haven't been too impressed by the reviews I've read on the RB forums-- apparently it can difficult to properly calibrate, the note recognition isn't always reliable, some strings on certain guitars don't register at all, the sound quality isn't great, and many of the units have been defective (or the people just couldn't calibrate them properly).

Instead I plan on getting the You Rock guitar. http://www.yourockguitar.com/

It sells for $200 on amazon, and I've been trading in old textbooks and games like crazy to save up for one.

I've read that the You Rock Guitar works flawlessly with RB3. I'm always interested in this guitar because it has MIDI functioning so I can plug it into the PC. Apparently the You Rock Guitar has plans to make a line of guitar teaching software to go with it. The sound is pretty good for a guitar of this price too-- its obviously not going to sound as good as a more expensive MIDI guitar but it is not bad. It will be fun to mess around with the synthesizer function to make some music. Plus the guitar is highly portable and I can put headphones on when I play.

I've played guitar for over 10 years, mostly acoustic so having a MIDI guitar in my collection kind of appeals to me. The You Rock seems like it would be a nice controller for a game like RB3 though. Anybody here gotten one yet or seen any deals?

[quote name='Gojimaster']I've already spent $166 thus far to buy the Pro Drum Set, game, and Midi adapter.

I was looking at the Squier, but I haven't been too impressed by the reviews I've read on the RB forums-- apparently it can difficult to properly calibrate, the note recognition isn't always reliable, some strings on certain guitars don't register at all, the sound quality isn't great, and many of the units have been defective (or the people just couldn't calibrate them properly).

Instead I plan on getting the You Rock guitar. http://www.yourockguitar.com/

[/QUOTE]

Will check out the you rock stuff. I'm a musician myself.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']As far as choosing between the Mustang or the MIDI adapter...that depends on whether you want to play "real" instruments or play a more challenging game. If the former, then get the adapter and use your real MIDI keyboard (or get the Rock Band Fender Squier for an additional $280). If the latter, get the Mustang and play a more challenging game guitar (with other cool features). [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up.... This helps.

Wow gameshark is so slow... it's been 3 full days and my order is still "In Progress" I've been spoiled by Amazon. I should have paid 4 more dollars and ordered from Amazon.

My first order was shipped 2 days after my order. I placed another one 2 days ago and it hasn't shipped yet. Fortunately they ship from near where I live, so I usually get stuff from them a day or two after it ships.

Update: Well, they sure are consistent. Just got an email indicating they shipped my second order, once again 2 days after I placed it. Hopefully you'll be getting your notification today also.

Update #2: Well, that was fast. The adapter was waiting for me when I got home...same day delivery?!? I guess I live closer to the MadCatz shipping center than I thought :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ndolger']For anyone picking up one of these, I wrote a guide to show you how you can use USB instruments as well. You need to buy a MIDI USB cable and run it through a PC.

Check it out here for those interested: http://www.ndolger.com/configuring-usb-keyboard-with-rock-band-3/

Guide is for keyboards specifically as most "cheaper" keyboards are USB, but it should work with drums and guitars as well.[/QUOTE]

Interesting guide and congrats on your persistence on figuring out how to make it work.

But now that the RB3 Keyboard can be had from Amazon for $59, it seems like this approach really only makes sense if you already have a low-end keyboard you REALLY want to use with RB3 because you'll be dropping $40 - $70 easy on the various adapters and cables (RB3 MIDI Adapter - $40, MIDI to USB cable - $5 to $30), and the fact that you also need to have your PC/Laptop in the mix makes it a bit messy.

But then again you'll have an RB3 MIDI adapter you can use with a higher-end keyboard if you get one later as well as a MIDI drum set or a MIDI guitar, so it does give you some extra flexibility.

Yes, very true. If you don't have any pieces and simply want to use a keyboard for RB3, getting the keytar on sale is probably your best option, but as for me...if I was going to drop money on a keyboard, I'd rather get a "complete" one.

If you *already* have a keyboard (which I did), paying $40 for MIDI adapter and $5 for cables (cables can be had cheap) was the best solution for me. Took a few months to get someone to help me figure out "how" you could get USB to work, but it can be done!

Until Mad Catz releases a USB adapter (very doubtful) your only options are to buy a MIDI instrument, buy the RB keyboard, or...have fun with cables and PCs! =E

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkonJohn']My first order was shipped 2 days after my order. I placed another one 2 days ago and it hasn't shipped yet. Fortunately they ship from near where I live, so I usually get stuff from them a day or two after it ships.

Update: Well, they sure are consistent. Just got an email indicating they shipped my second order, once again 2 days after I placed it. Hopefully you'll be getting your notification today also.

Update #2: Well, that was fast. The adapter was waiting for me when I got home...same day delivery?!? I guess I live closer to the MadCatz shipping center than I thought :lol:[/QUOTE]

Interesting. My order was placed on 4/12 at 9am Eastern time. It's still says In Progress. I don't think they will make the 7 to 10 days their site promises unless they are somewhere in the Midwest.

bread's done
Back