Rock Band [DEMO UNIT] @ Walmart! YMMV - Branford, CT.

[quote name='b0bx13']My friend just made a call to our best buy (Sioux falls, SD) and they say they'll be getting in the game and the bundle tomorrow. One of our walmarts said the same thing, tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Did they say they would sell it to you tomorrow, or just that they were receiving it?

[quote name='b0bx13']My friend just made a call to our best buy (Sioux falls, SD) and they say they'll be getting in the game and the bundle tomorrow. One of our walmarts said the same thing, tomorrow.[/quote]

Well if that's true you should defiently keep us posted, maybe they decided to get a jump on Guitar Hero 3? Or the developers post was false and they actually are sending them out already! I'm impatiently waiting for somebody to open one of these things.

It's such a headache to look for any news on this so I'm going to keep checking back here for updates.

If this is indeed the demo, why wouldn't you put a big ass red sticker or something on it that said "DEMO". Anything to differentiate the product besides betting on employees opening it or noticing a drum pedal is missing.

Also, this hmxsean senior guy on the link above obviously responded to all the reports but didn't put down a response to the retailer, or a call to action. He just says they are accidently being sold, not that they have contacted them to stop it, or sent a memo or something. Seems like you would want to put that in there if it indeed is the case.

Harmonix should just unleash the beast and to get the word of mouth going. This is one of those games that is hard to explain to people that aren't familiar with Guitar Hero, and blows them away seeing it in person. Get it out to kids so the community viral marketing can kick in.

[quote name='AdamBomb629']Uh-oh, folks...

Straight from the horse's mouth. DON'T GET FOOLED.

http://community.rockband.com/vbforum/showthread.php?p=98639#post98639[/quote]

I get that. I really do. But say the few people here who've bought it actually do have the full version of the game. Then what? Will they have someone else trot out there and make another statement.

It's sometimes like dealing with the government when things like this happen.

[quote name='egonpax']All the way to the Mexico border? You planning a trip all the way to Brownsville for this game or something? Crazy. :) Anyways, I'm going to check a few W-Ms in my area after work (Houston.)

Yes. That would be awesome.[/quote]
I just might make it to mexico :p Who knows!

Really though, if you find a copy for the 360 and you dont want it. I will buy it off you. I will look at a few locations and tell you what i find.

It's conceivable that stores got 1 PS3 and 1 360 version so they could decide which they would demo. That would explain why so many people are saying they got the last copy or they only had a PS3 copy (assuming that most stores would demo the 360 version).

[quote name='Psykoboy2']I get that. I really do. But say the few people here who've bought it actually do have the full version of the game. Then what? Will they have someone else trot out there and make another statement.

It's sometimes like dealing with the government when things like this happen.[/quote]

I agree with you, but we'll have to see once these people actually have the full versions of the game.

[quote name='Mars10']I just might make it to mexico :p Who knows!

Really though, if you find a copy for the 360 and you dont want it. I will buy it off you. I will look at a few locations and tell you what i find.[/QUOTE]
Haha. If I find an extra copy of it, I'll let you know first. I was real close to pre-ordering it from GS and using the 10% off coupon (whenever the new coupon comes out.)

11 pages of text and nobody has found out whether these releases have the automatic kick-drum in the game, making it the demo version? :p

Checked at the Wal-Mart in Casselberry, FL (UCF/Orlando area), and none there. :(

If anyone is able to check zip code 28078, that would be very much appreciated. Closest walmart is 30 minutes out, and they're spread far so I don't have time to go hunting personally.

[quote name='admanimal']Did they say they would sell it to you tomorrow, or just that they were receiving it?[/QUOTE]
She told him he could come by and get it.

EDIT: Sioux City, IA BB says it's out Tuesday.

Guys, try using IE for the Walmart thing. I was unable to get it to work in Firefox but I went into IE, went to the product page for GH3 (it was on the homepage), the copied
javascript:eek:penSlapOverlay(7789034);

into the address bar and it worked.

Nothing within 100 miles of Gambrills, MD. If any of you guys can't get it working in IE either I'll check it for you.

4 best buys and 3 walmarts later.

All 3 walmarts had a rock band display.

Same with the Best Buys.

No one is selling this thing.

And I live in Va currently as well. Honestly Its a huge expenditure at the moment anyway so Im content with waiting a couple of more weeks.

Edit: Also Theres only one guy selling it on ebay. Most likely a worker who bought or sold the display model.

[quote name='uglyteradon']Well if that's true you should defiently keep us posted, maybe they decided to get a jump on Guitar Hero 3? Or the developers post was false and they actually are sending them out already! I'm impatiently waiting for somebody to open one of these things.

It's such a headache to look for any news on this so I'm going to keep checking back here for updates.[/quote]

Just thought I'd clear this up...

I called two stores in Souix Falls, SD, the only ones listed on the Wal Mart site. The first store told me that it will be released on 11/23. The second store told me that they hoped to have it in tomorrow or early next week. I asked if she knew when the confirmed release date was and she said she didn't know, that they had not been told. She said she "hoped" to get them in soon.

To me that just sounds like a clueless employee feeding the person on the other end of the line a bit lip service.

[quote name='Madhatta']That ebay auction ended mysteriously. haha[/quote]

That doesn't mean anything. Someone could have contacted him and paid him enough to end the auction and sell it to that person.

[quote name='tw4win']That doesn't mean anything. Someone could have contacted him and paid him enough to end the auction and sell it to that person.[/QUOTE]

I think he found out it was a Demo version and returned it..

If you look at the pic with the open box it says something along the lines of "Best Buy Demo Checklist"

Hopefully that's not the case for wal-marts...I mean they don't have enough space for a demo version, so sell the retail ones instead!!!!

[quote name='Oswald9599']4 best buys and 3 walmarts later.

All 3 walmarts had a rock band display.

Same with the Best Buys.

No one is selling this thing.

And I live in Va currently as well. Honestly Its a huge expenditure at the moment anyway so Im content with waiting a couple of more weeks.

Edit: Also Theres only one guy selling it on ebay. Most likely a worker who bought or sold the display model.[/quote]

Northern, VA or elsewhere?

[quote name='tw4win']That doesn't mean anything. Someone could have contacted him and paid him enough to end the auction and sell it to that person.[/quote]

If he had a full retail version he wouldn't be dumb enough to end the auction for anything unless someone offered him like 800 bucks. That thing was at 280 before it ended and two days to go. It would have easily gotten to 500 or 600 bucks.

[quote name='Madhatta']If he had a full retail version he wouldn't be dumb enough to end the auction for anything unless someone offered him like 800 bucks. That thing was at 280 before it ended and two days to go. It would have easily gotten to 500 or 600 bucks.[/quote]

Or maybe someone local offered him $400 and he pulled it down before Harmonix or Ebay gave him a bunch of crap about selling it.

[quote name='Madhatta']If he had a full retail version he wouldn't be dumb enough to end the auction for anything unless someone offered him like 800 bucks. That thing was at 280 before it ended and two days to go. It would have easily gotten to 500 or 600 bucks.[/quote]

I don't think it's out of the question that someone emailed him and offered to pay $500 or $600 for the thing. If I were that guy I would certainly end the auction early for that.

Maybe ebay took it down for some reason or maybe the developers contacted the dude or ebay. Who knows? I think that's just as likely as it being a demo version. Hell, given the current environment he probably could have still sold it for more than he paid for it.

[quote name='ewto16']Or maybe someone local offered him $400 and he pulled it down before Harmonix or Ebay gave him a bunch of crap about selling it.[/quote]

Harmonix and eBay can't give him crap for selling it - that is, if he went into a retail store and purchased it, then the eBay seller is not at risk.

[quote name='tw4win']I don't think it's out of the question that someone emailed him and offered to pay $500 or $600 for the thing. If I were that guy I would certainly end the auction early for that.

Maybe ebay took it down for some reason or maybe the developers contacted the dude or ebay. Who knows? I think that's just as likely as it being a demo version. Hell, given the current environment he probably could have still sold it for more than he paid for it.[/quote]

Yeah for sure. It's all speculation at this point. I am just hoping that some of the people in this thread that say they h ave purchased it post some pics soon so we can all tell for sure.

Meh, I've lost my excitement at this point. We've learned it's a bad idea to ship a demo in a retail box when dealing with places like Wal Mart...

Still, I'll swing through mine on the way home since it's not out of the way.

They are just demos. I am sure this has been posted, but people keep talking as if they are not demo kits :)

Hey all,

I just wanted to officially talk about the sudden influx of broken street date bundles that are being sold. First of all they aren't "real" versions of the game, they are demos for the store that are getting accidentally sold. Retailers don't have bundles sitting in the back room just waiting for November 20th. These demo builds are kind of hobbled - for one the drums don't have kick pedals. Some of the demos don't have mics. And the build isn't a full-real retail version of the game. It is hobbled a bit and, obviously, the bass drum autoplays since there is no pedal that comes with the demo.

I guess what I am saying is beware of any auctions that might show up the next few days, and please alert me to them if you see them as it is quite obviously a huge mistake. I know how badly y'all want to get your hands on the game but it is only 19 more days until it comes out.

Thanks,
Sean
http://community.rockband.com/vbforum/showthread.php?p=98639#post98639

Well the thought is that maybe Harmonix is just trying to cover up a few units leaking out.
I'm starting to lean toward the camp of demos being sold.
We have yet to have someone post and specifically say they opened the box and either saw a drum pedal or put the disk into a PS3/360.

One of the video game site, I think it was 1UP, said that they received the final version of Rock Band the other day, so the game is done and complete.

It isn't unthinkable that it would ship early considering that it is so huge and will need to get sent early enough to ensure that places have time to plan for the room to stock it.

Games like NCAA 08 hit stores like two weeks before they were to be sold. Could be the same with this one.

Also, taking into account that employees are checking the computers and seeing that Xbox 360 copies are coming in Saturday or Monday..

If it was a demo, why send more copies??

Considering how easy it would be to prove that this is not a demo unit (open up the box and take a picture of the bass pedal), and that noone has done this yet, I'm going to say that I think Harmonix is telling the truth

Man it really does look like a demo. Look at those drum sticks in the pic on the ebay page. It has the metal cable that locks it to the unit so they dont get stolen.

That is a bad sign :(

Edit: Link

[quote name='fluc02']Considering how easy it would be to prove that this is not a demo unit (open up the box and take a picture of the bass pedal), and that noone has done this yet, I'm going to say that I think Harmonix is telling the truth[/quote]

Except that no one has proved that either. All someone has to do is open up a box. I'd believe the word of almost anyone on CAG. Other sites, I'll need pictures.

One theory: the demo is for the 360 only, as they would only want/need to take the time to code and ship a demo for one system. So the PS3 box sightings could be proof that this is possibly real.

[quote name='Mars10']Man it really does look like a demo. Look at those drum sticks in the pic on the ebay page. It has the metal cable that locks it to the unit so they dont get stolen.

That is a bad sign :(

Edit: Link[/quote]

Except that the Wii taught us that you should never sell anything that could possibly fly out of your hand unless you include some sort of strap for it. I'm thinking that the pictures are either showing a wrist strap or a way to connect the sticks to the drum set.

[quote name='tw4win']Except that the Wii taught us that you should never sell anything that could possibly fly out of your hand unless you include some sort of strap for it. I'm thinking that the pictures are either showing a wrist strap or a way to connect the sticks to the drum set.[/quote]

Man...who knows! I want them to be real, but i need pictures. So does everyone else. If that guy would just have looked for the pedal. His box would have been proven or disproven as a retail box and not a demo.

Could be real. Crecenete at Kotaku got his, and although im not sure if the software was final, he definately did get a kick pedal with his drum....

I don't know, perhaps the store put the stock out early. I know the walmart I work at got rock band in a few days ago. Of course it is in the stock room though. We opted to not have a demo since we have a big Guitar Hero 3 demo that the manager wants to keep instead. By the way we currently have 7 360 Bundles and 5 PS3 Bundles all safely locked away.

[quote name='tw4win']Except that the Wii taught us that you should never sell anything that could possibly fly out of your hand unless you include some sort of strap for it. I'm thinking that the pictures are either showing a wrist strap or a way to connect the sticks to the drum set.[/QUOTE]

There is no way they are going to tether the drum sticks in the retail version. The copies that Kotaku and others have received don't have tethers. The sticks in the eBay link have an identical tether on them to the ones at the Best Buy demos.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Could be real. Crecenete at Kotaku got his, and although im not sure if the software was final, he definately did get a kick pedal with his drum....[/quote]
He also got real drum sticks, without that stupid metal cable drilled through them.

Link

[quote name='AxleHead']I don't know, perhaps the store put the stock out early. I know the walmart I work at got rock band in a few days ago. Of course it is in the stock room though. We opted to not have a demo since we have a big Guitar Hero 3 demo that the manager wants to keep instead. By the way we currently have 7 360 Bundles and 5 PS3 Bundles all safely locked away.[/QUOTE]

Where about do you live so I can see if those are popping up on the stock finder.

I think walmart offered him extra few hundreds $$$ then says "IT's DEMO". I wonder how much lawsuit if the company sell the item 20 days early.

All right, to end this once and for all, the package I bought from Walmart is indeed a demo. The very first thing I found when I opened the box was a packet of papers that says
"Dear WalMart Store Manager:
Enclosed in this Rock Band demo kit are the following items:
  • PS3 demo software
  • Drum kit with stand
  • Guitar controller
  • Demo set-up instructions
These items should be installed on the PS3 end cap in the Christmas Shop per the instructions from your merchandising team.

Turn up the volume and rock on!"

The rest of the packet contains instructions for setting up.
Inside the box was the game in a crappy little paper sleeve, and it came with two smaller boxes containing a wired guitar (note that I bought a PS3 version, so this is probably to prevent people from stealing the guitar from the store) and a drum set. No sign of a microphone, just like the post on the Rockband forums mentioned. I'm kind of hesitant to open up either box, because I don't know if Walmart would still let me return this. Does anyone have any idea if I could just wait until November 20th and bring this to Walmart, claiming that it's defective, and then getting a new, real copy? Even if it's a demo, I still want to try it out before returning it, but I'm afraid if they won't allow me.

[quote name='Darkserge2002']All right, to end this once and for all, the package I bought from Walmart is indeed a demo. The very first thing I found when I opened the box was a packet of papers that says
  • PS3 demo software
  • Drum kit with stand
  • Guitar controller
These items should be installed on the PS3 end cap in the Christmas Shop per the instructions from your merchandising team.

Inside the box was the game in a crappy little paper sleeve, and it came with two smaller boxes containing a wired guitar (note that I bought a PS3 version, so this is probably to prevent people from stealing the guitar from the store) and a drum set. No sign of a microphone, just like the post on the Rockband forums mentioned. I'm kind of hesitant to open up either box, because I don't know if Walmart would still let me return this. Does anyone have any idea if I could just wait until November 20th and bring this to Walmart, claiming that it's defective, and then getting a new, real copy? Even if it's a demo, I still want to try it out before returning it, but I'm afraid if they won't allow me.[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification Darkserge.

[quote name='Darkserge2002']All right, to end this once and for all, the package I bought from Walmart is indeed a demo. The very first thing I found when I opened the box was a packet of papers that says
  • PS3 demo software
  • Drum kit with stand
  • Guitar controller

Inside the box was the game in a crappy little paper sleeve, and it came with two smaller boxes containing a wired guitar (note that I bought a PS3 version, so this is probably to prevent people from stealing the guitar from the store) and a drum set. No sign of a microphone, just like the post on the Rockband forums mentioned. I'm kind of hesitant to open up either box, because I don't know if Walmart would still let me return this. Does anyone have any idea if I could just wait until November 20th and bring this to Walmart, claiming that it's defective, and then getting a new, real copy? Even if it's a demo, I still want to try it out before returning it, but I'm afraid if they won't allow me.[/quote]

If you bought it today, I'd return it today. Just tell them that the memo is what you found in the box. I'm sure they won't give you a hassle about it and maybe you can ask if they have any more?!!

Thanks, now I can stop worrying about checking at Walmart every day. :lol:

If you have a GH guitar, you might as well at least give the game a try, as long as you don't have to open up everything else just to get the game disc.

[quote name='galvatron2k1']If you bought it today, I'd return it today. Just tell them that the memo is what you found in the box. I'm sure they won't give you a hassle about it and maybe you can ask if they have any more?!![/quote]

Yeah, I'm sure that that would work, but I still want to keep it and play it until the actual game comes out. Does anyone think I could open up the stuff and play with it for a bit before returning it? Also, since I'm at college and don't have a car, I don't exactly have the time to go back to Walmart today or even tomorrow. The earliest I could return this would have to be on Saturday.

bread's done
Back