Rock Band [DEMO UNIT] @ Walmart! YMMV - Branford, CT.

[quote name='Darkserge2002']Yeah, I'm sure that that would work, but I still want to keep it and play it until the actual game comes out. Does anyone think I could open up the stuff and play with it for a bit before returning it? Also, since I'm at college and don't have a car, I don't exactly have the time to go back to Walmart today or even tomorrow. The earliest I could return this would have to be on Saturday.[/quote]

I don't think i would open the boxes. Maybe just the game disc if you have the extra guitar from Guitar Hero. I would even call the store now and explain the situation and tell them you won't be able to return it until whenever you can make it up there and get a manager's name so you can tell them that's who you spoke to if you run into problems.

I, personally, would keep it until Rock Band comes out and then try to return it. A threat to call the district manager would more than likely get them to return it, because whoever sold it would be in BIG trouble.

On the "good" side of things, you might cost someone their job by not returning it immedeatly. I'm evil, so I'd keep it.

I think you're going to save yourself a lot of trouble if you just return it as soon as possible. There must be a Best Buy around you somewhere with a demo set up that you can play...or once you return it, at Walmart.

The game is also shrinkwrapped, so I'm a bit wary about opening that as well, and I don't have Guitar Hero III for the PS3, either, so I wouldn't be able to play it without the Rock Band controller anyway. I think I'm going to open the game anyway now, and if they try to give me trouble when I try returning it, then I'll try threatening them with the fact that they sold me a demo in the first place.

Actually, upon more thought, go ahead and play it. When you're done, I'll buy it from you for whatever you paid for it. Maybe more. =)

Please take pictures of box and disc and whatnot.

Don't be stupid, you KNOW you want to keep it until the full version comes out. Have you ever returned somethign at WalMart? They're super lenient, to the point of not caring. Last time I had to return a game, the lady barely glanced at my receipt before giving me my refund.

The point is: take it in the day of release, bitch about how it was a demo unit, and they'll give you your money back, no problem. I'd keep it until then and have fun.

[quote name='Darkserge2002']The game is also shrinkwrapped, so I'm a bit wary about opening that as well, and I don't have Guitar Hero III for the PS3, either, so I wouldn't be able to play it without the Rock Band controller anyway. I think I'm going to open the game anyway now, and if they try to give me trouble when I try returning it, then I'll try threatening them with the fact that they sold me a demo in the first place.[/quote]

I think you can safely play it as long as you keep the reciept. Keep it until a day or so after Rock Band comes out then return it to the store. Tell them that you bought it a couple of weeks ago but that it was a gift for someone (say your little brother or whoever). That would explain why you were so long opening it. Tell them that when you opened it that you found out it was the demo. I'm sure they will be more than happy to exchange it for you. If not, call their DM and tell them the same story. Not a chance he'll refuse you.

I went to the Best Buy store in porter ranch ca. about 3 hours ago to see if they had copies like I heard, well I got there the box was there it was open and the demo disk was sticking out of the box, it wasnt even in a box it was in a paper sleve. I would have taken a picture but since I lost my phone and I dont own a camera I couldnt take pictures.

Lesson to someone at EA/Harmonix....lablel the outside of the box clearly that it is a DEMO...
The packaging should also say 'Not for Resale' and there should be no UPC symbol. Standard practice.

Lesson to someone at EA/Harmonix....lablel the outside of the box clearly that it is a DEMO...
The packaging should also say 'Not for Resale' and there should be no UPC symbol. Standard practice.

For real.... how dumb is that to not have a not for resale or demo thing somewhere on it...

You have 90 days to return video games as long as it's unopened. I believe it's the disc that counts, not the peripherals.

I'm pretty sure you can EXCHANGE opened games for the same item even WITHOUT a receipt!

"Everything in the store can be exchanged or refunded with a receipt within 90 days of purchase... with the exception of a few electronic items and regulated items.

After 90 days with receipt:
If available, we offer repair service through the manufacturer.

Exceptions to 90 Day Return Policy:

* 45 days with receipt: Computer components and computer accessories.
* 30 days with receipt: Camcorders and digital cameras.
* 15 days with receipt: Computers and postpaid cell phones.
* These items must be unopened: Prerecorded music, movies, and software products. "

Walmart had a PS3 version, I said I'll buy it and when they scanned it, it came up "Not for sale, Demo Unit". So i'm glad I didnt end up buying it now.

icon1.gif

Haha, If you ask me he should open it and play as much as he wants. Then just take it back saying when i turned it on and set it up I realize this is not a retail version. What can they possibly do. You can always dispute it saying it was faulty sold if they said no. I doubt they will not return it though being it was indeed their huge mistake.

I would say put it up on Ebay and sell it for double what you paid for it, you know there are idiots out there who will pay tons right now even if it is just a demo you get with it.

People are crazy for stuff like this, just so they can say they did it, or whatever.

I bet if you put it on Ebay you'd get 300 bucks for it, at least. Put a reserve on it and see what happens.

So if a 360 unit show up it probably isn't a demo ? one of the OP said his walmart had 7 360 units in the stock room, and 5 PS3.

Mine didn't have any of the "demo unit" crap in it. Not one piece. And it doesn't really make sense that they'd get displays for PS3 AND 360, but hey, I digress.. This is a topic that will be hotly debated over for quite some time. I stand by it though; the one I bought was not a demo unit. Why would there be more than one if it was?

Jay

For those who played it, how is it? I'm concerned, because the videos for it make it look HELLA easy. hopefully they are just playing on medium or what not.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Mine didn't have any of the "demo unit" crap in it. Not one piece. And it doesn't really make sense that they'd get displays for PS3 AND 360, but hey, I digress.. This is a topic that will be hotly debated over for quite some time. I stand by it though; the one I bought was not a demo unit. Why would there be more than one if it was?

Jay[/quote]

Did you actually open it up, play it, and know for sure?
I'm not calling you a liar, just want to clarify if you know for sure or just strongly suspect.

I would love to see it show up in your played games list :)
Not saying I don't believe you, but I need more motivation to try the local wal-marts LOL.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Mine is complete, foot pedal and all.

I think I'll go play it some more. :D[/quote]

pics or it didn't happen.....:lol:

360 or PS3 version?

[quote name='Wolve11']pics or it didn't happen.....:lol:

360 or PS3 version?[/quote]

If your talking about jaysapathy he stated he bought the 360 version.

I would, but my 360 is currently banned because I did, erm.. Naughty things to the drive :D It really is very entertaining, and this is coming from someone who hates Guitar Hero. I stopped in to my local Shopko this morning, and they have three out for purchase -- two PS3, and one 360. So it's not just Wal-Mart..

Jay

[quote name='jaysapathy']I would, but my 360 is currently banned because I did, erm.. Naughty things to the drive :D It really is very entertaining, and this is coming from someone who hates Guitar Hero. I stopped in to my local Shopko this morning, and they have three out for purchase -- two PS3, and one 360. So it's not just Wal-Mart..

Jay[/quote]

If you found that many, you would buy them and put them on Ebay for sale. There isn't a single Rock Band for sale on Ebay right now that isn't a pre-order or a demo unit. You would probably get $500 for it right now.

I find it hard to beleive that you are the only person in all of America to see multiple full and complete versions of Rock Band at multiple stores.

Enjoy your fake Rock Band.

[quote name='jaysapathy']I would, but my 360 is currently banned because I did, erm.. Naughty things to the drive :D It really is very entertaining, and this is coming from someone who hates Guitar Hero. I stopped in to my local Shopko this morning, and they have three out for purchase -- two PS3, and one 360. So it's not just Wal-Mart..

Jay[/QUOTE]

I find it hard to believe that no one in the U.S. has bought a real retail box of it yet and put it on eBay if they are apparently as plentiful as you say.

Also, the guy with the demo unit from Wal-Mart should just open it and play it, if he doesn't want to sell it on Ebay. I'd probably put it on Ebay if it were me.

You won't have any problems returning it to Wal-Mart. They should have never sold it to you in the first place, as they get in trouble for breaking the street date. Not to mention, they sold you something that isn't what you really purchased.

I actually found a Wal-Mart with a PS3 unit in stock last night, but the sales lady immediately said it wasn't out yet and pointed to the street date in the catalog. No matter how hard I tried, she wouldn't budge.

[quote name='admanimal']Can you give us an idea of what the Solo Tour is like?[/quote]

He would need to wait until IGN posts a story on what the solo tour is like first, so he can cut and paste it here.

[quote name='ewto16']He would need to wait until IGN posts a story on what the solo tour is like first, so he can cut and paste it here.[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah, I read a little more and changed my post...

Why do people need to lie about things they know people won't believe, just making them look even more dumb?

bread's done
Back