Rock Revolution $19.99/$69.99 (360/PS3) on Amazon

Stryffe2004

CAGiversary!
This game has a good song list, even though they are covers. There are some interesting modes as well. May be worth a look for $20. The $70.00 set includes the seven head drum set.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wampa8jedi']I wouldn't mind stomping through this once it hits a sub-$10 price... if only to laugh at it :D[/QUOTE]

You mean stomping on it? :)

The way the chrats come down is awful. Who thought a falling chart was a good idea? They could of at least tried to copy RB/GH a little better

[quote name='slickkill77']The way the chrats come down is awful. Who thought a falling chart was a good idea? They could of at least tried to copy RB/GH a little better[/QUOTE]

Different, yes, but not awful. Is IIDX players have gotten quite used to it, and after a few songs, you will too.

[quote name='sunnysky']My prediction:
This game will eventually end up selling at Dollar stores.
And I really don't think I'm over-exagerating.[/quote]

hey man! don't knock the dollar stores! lol :lol:

I will probably pick it up when it is $15 or less. I like music/rhythm games. It is funny that I have never seen the drum kit in retail so seeing it for the first time today on Amazon.... I laughed.

[quote name='sunnysky']My prediction:
This game will eventually end up selling at Dollar stores.
And I really don't think I'm over-exagerating.[/QUOTE]

If that is possible, the one I work at will be the first one to have it guarnteed since we sometimes get in PS2 and XBox games.

This was the same price as it was at Fry's today. $20 for the game only, $70 including the drumset. My guess is that it's a universal drop. Not surprised.

Wow, everyone is so quick to point out the covers with the not so great vocals. But do you think the whole game is like that? No, and I can tell you that from experience cause I actually played the damn game.

SKID ROW - YOUTH GONE WILD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHfrLprUV-Q

SCORPIONS - NO ONE LIKE YOU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niw2B3jfkfA

MOTLEY CRUE - DR. FEELGOOD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64KgWRghipM

I get it, a lot of you don't like the fact that they use covers, but up until Rock Band 1 and Guitar Hero 3 no one used it as an excuse to bash a game. Now that Rock Revolution does it all of a sudden the game sucks cause it uses covers instead of masters. I'll admit, the game can be undercharted at times, and the vocals can be pretty bad on some of the songs. But the instrumentals in the songs themselves sound great, and I don't have a problem with the falling chart since Konami has been using ever since Guitar Freaks. It's really not that hard to get used to once you start playing the game.

Anywho, it's a decent game, especially for this price. Only a small handful of the covers have bad vocals, and it does have songs you can't find in any other music game yet. For $20, I'd say this game is worth trying out if you're a fan of music games in general.

Those vertical scrolling notes are painful to watch. And there are too many songs whose masters are available in RB/GH. Only worthwhile song I see is Spirit of Radio.

My first drum game I actually bought was DrumMania and it was balls hard with the shitty home controller (foam bass pedal FTL). I also picked up the US release of beatmania (also balls hard) since I love music rhythm games.

That being said and after being exposed to GH/RB, I've lost faith in guitar/drum games from Konami.

[quote name='YourFace']Those vertical scrolling notes are painful to watch. And there are too many songs whose masters are available in RB/GH. Only worthwhile song I see is Spirit of Radio.[/quote]

Of the 41 tracks in the game, 23 of them have not been in a console version of Guitar Hero or Rock Band (Youth Gone Wild was in the Nintendo DS version of Guitar Hero, but I don't count that). Of the remaining tracks, 3 of them have never had a master in any game (Run to the Hills, Detroit Rock City and No One Like You), so you can't count those. So 15 of the songs in the game have had masters in another music game, so what? That doesn't mean it can't be fun to play. That's like me saying, "oh, well I'll never play Carry On Wayward Son in GH2 anymore cause the master track is in RB2."

I picked this up used @ GS over the weekend when I was doing some xmas shopping and for the price I paid (under $12 with B2G1+Edge) I don't think it is that bad. Yes the vertical scrolling is annoying and the covers aren't the best, but there are some good songs available that have not made it to RB or GH included.

[quote name='BMXJouster']Wow, everyone is so quick to point out the covers with the not so great vocals. But do you think the whole game is like that? No, and I can tell you that from experience cause I actually played the damn game.

I get it, a lot of you don't like the fact that they use covers, but up until Rock Band 1 and Guitar Hero 3 no one used it as an excuse to bash a game. Now that Rock Revolution does it all of a sudden the game sucks cause it uses covers instead of masters. I'll admit, the game can be undercharted at times, and the vocals can be pretty bad on some of the songs. But the instrumentals in the songs themselves sound great, and I don't have a problem with the falling chart since Konami has been using ever since Guitar Freaks. It's really not that hard to get used to once you start playing the game.

Anywho, it's a decent game, especially for this price. Only a small handful of the covers have bad vocals, and it does have songs you can't find in any other music game yet. For $20, I'd say this game is worth trying out if you're a fan of music games in general.[/quote]

What are you talking about? At least for me, it's not the fact that they use covers that bothers me. It's the fact that a lot (and I do mean a lot) of these covers are horrible. Even when GH/RB did it, they did a very good job of trying to keep the original sound. In many of the cases with RR, they sound like they did them in one take and just went with that.

As a fan of this genre, I would not recommend this game to anyone regardless of price point. Even if you wanted it just for guitar, you need to go out and buy one of the other competitors instruments. At that point, you might as well buy one of their games.

On top of that, this game doesn't even let you do vocals. Why did they omit that? It's not like they couldn't use the Karaoke Revolution pitch detection engine to do it. It might have to do with the fact that the interface is already a mess.

I haven't played it, but the few videos people posted, the covers were pretty bad, especially the vocals. I mean, awful. I suck at these games, but I do enjoy playing along with some of my favorite songs. The experience would be really dragged down if the song blows.

For me the fact that GH and RB use so many master tracks does make a difference. It can be done, and the masters are more fun to play than the covers. I wouldn't buy an album of these covers. I wouldn't go to a show to see them played. As long as Rock Band is still upgrading and cranking out weekly tracks, it seems pointless to bother with this game for a handful of songs that I can't play elsewhere. especially when the quality of covers is mostly poor.

As for the falling notes, it feels like a step backwards. I had a roommate a few years ago who had just come back from a semester in Japan. He had Guitar Freaks and I played it quite a bit. Then GH came out over here and it was like a revolution (sorry, not intended as a pun). Going back to the falling notes feels terrible. It doesn't matter if that's what Konami has always done. Doom was a great game, and I probably put 100 hours into it over the course of my life, but that doesn't mean id software should release a shooter tomorrow without a jump button.

RB and GH have moved ahead. RR is trapped in the past.

[quote name='Shady3011']What are you talking about? At least for me, it's not the fact that they use covers that bothers me. It's the fact that a lot (and I do mean a lot) of these covers are horrible. Even when GH/RB did it, they did a very good job of trying to keep the original sound. In many of the cases with RR, they sound like they did them in one take and just went with that.

As a fan of this genre, I would not recommend this game to anyone regardless of price point. Even if you wanted it just for guitar, you need to go out and buy one of the other competitors instruments. At that point, you might as well buy one of their games.

On top of that, this game doesn't even let you do vocals. Why did they omit that? It's not like they couldn't use the Karaoke Revolution pitch detection engine to do it. It might have to do with the fact that the interface is already a mess.[/quote]

What are you talkin' about? As a fan of this genre, you probably have a competitors guitar, anyways! And you want to know why they omitted vocals? It probably has somethin' to do with the fact that Karaoke Revolution is developed by Harmonix: a competitor!!

When this game appears in sub $10 bargain bin call me back. $20 is just not the magic price point for a limited appeal game. For now I am too spoiled by masters. It is so much more fun to play the game when you hear the original recordings.

Got the game today. So, the game is broken down into albums. Like you have to play 4 songs to turn an album gold. Then it has 2 challenges that if you complete, the album goes platinum.

I just turned one album platinum. I have no idea why this game is getting so much hate. It feels like a fake guitar game to me. I checked out the songs on the second album. Between the two, over half the songs are worth playing. I don't find the covers to be that bad either.

I actually think the challenges are cool. One of them is called poison notes. The game throws these notes at you that if you play it's the same as not playing a non-poison. Another challenge plays a series of notes, then you have to play that same series without the game showing the notes.

One last thing I like is "shredding". Certain sustain notes you can shred. That is strumming the strum bar as fast as you can during the sustain. I think this is something maybe worth adding to the other games.

I've only spent an hour on this game. So, I'm not going to say I love or hate it. So far, I just don't see why it is getting such terrible reviews. I'd rather have RB or GH for sure. Right now, I have zero regrets spending $20 on it.

[quote name='aniousjoe']What are you talkin' about? As a fan of this genre, you probably have a competitors guitar, anyways! And you want to know why they omitted vocals? It probably has somethin' to do with the fact that Karaoke Revolution is developed by Harmonix: a competitor!![/quote]

I was obviously talking about recommending it to a friend who is new to the genre. Buying it myself would only be for cheap laughs and nothing really serious.

Also, HMX only developed the engine for KR. It doesn't own the IP and hasn't worked on one since 2006.

[quote name='Shady3011']I was obviously talking about recommending it to a friend who is new to the genre. Buying it myself would only be for cheap laughs and nothing really serious.

Also, HMX only developed the engine for KR. It doesn't own the IP and hasn't worked on one since 2006.[/QUOTE]

True. The omission of singing is probably due to Konami not wanting to compete with its more successful existing product. Budget could also have been an issue as this game is obviously rather low budget, so adding another mode/feature might have cost too much.

[quote name='BMXJouster']I get it, a lot of you don't like the fact that they use covers, but up until Rock Band 1 and Guitar Hero 3 no one used it as an excuse to bash a game.[/QUOTE]First off, not true. I've heard quite a bit of hate for some of the covers in past Guitar Hero games. Warpigs in GH2 comes to mind. Lots of hate for that one.
Secondly, that was in the past. Rock Revolution came out this year and is competing with Rock Band 2 and GHWT. If you're saying "This game isn't so bad stacked up against games from two years ago," then you're making a bad argument.
Finally, none of the covers in RB1 or past GH games reached the level of suck that some of the RR covers do. When I was listening to the Highway Star demo I was actually comparing its quality to the Highway Star cover in Elite Beat Agents. It's simply inexcusable.

I'll pick this game up around $10 or rent it because I'm a sucker for rhythm games. But even $20 is too much.

[quote name='Hoffgod']First off, not true. I've heard quite a bit of hate for some of the covers in past Guitar Hero games. Warpigs in GH2 comes to mind. Lots of hate for that one.[/quote]

That's not what I meant. What I meant is that people are using the fact that the game uses covers (some of them not so good) as an excuse to hate and pass up on the game. Yes, GH1 and GH2 had some bad covers as well, but they were still heralded as being great games. Rock Revolution uses covers and now all of a sudden the game is complete crap. It's hypocritical, or at least I think it is.

[quote name='Hoffgod']Secondly, that was in the past. Rock Revolution came out this year and is competing with Rock Band 2 and GHWT. If you're saying "This game isn't so bad stacked up against games from two years ago," then you're making a bad argument.[/quote]

No, what I'm saying is that this game isn't that bad compared to even the newer games of Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero: World Tour. Yeah, those two games blow it out of the water, but it's also not a smelly dog turd compared to them either. You want to see a music rhythm game with no redeeming qualities whatsoever? Check out Guitar Superstar.

[quote name='Hoffgod']Finally, none of the covers in RB1 or past GH games reached the level of suck that some of the RR covers do. When I was listening to the Highway Star demo I was actually comparing its quality to the Highway Star cover in Elite Beat Agents. It's simply inexcusable.[/quote]

Number one, the only problems with any of the "bad" covers in Rock Revolution are the vocals. The actual instrumentals are pretty spot-on, (which is no surprise since Steve Ouimette recorded them).

Number two, RB and GH have had some pretty questionable covers in the past, (at least vocally). Mother? Symphony of Destruction? Police Truck? Tom Sawyer? While Chop Suey! might be the worst vocal cover I've ever heard in one of these games, the music sounded fine and that's what matters to me most. And a few bad covers is never a reason to shy away from any music game.

Whatever, if you guys wanna pass on this game go right ahead. I just think it's stupid to hate on it simply because you don't like the covers (or just the fact that it uses covers), or because you don't like the way it looks. The actual system plays fine (for guitar/bass at least, I don't play drums much), it just takes a little getting used to with the scrolling notes. To me, $20 is a great bargain for a decent game.

I was amazed that Best Buy had this for the same price (game only). I figured this would never get legs and drop like a rock and so it has.

Whoahs.

Just noticed there is some Bemani DLC for this game up on PSN!
If Konami keeps pumping out the classic Bemani tunes for this game, I'm SOLD.

bread's done
Back