RockBand 1 & 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 3/15/09 - Funk Pack + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I read the drum brain is $350.
Ok, here's what I got:

Q: I want to use Drum Rocker as a real electronic drum set. What will I need to be able to do that?
A: While there are many "drum brains" that accept the 1/4" outputs of the Drum Rocker drum pads and cymbals, Ion recommends using the Alesis DM5 drum module with Drum Rocker.

The DM5 is a professional drum module with (12) 1/4" trigger inputs and more than 500 professional quality sounds. Its trigger inputs are well suited to handle the output levels of the Drum Rocker pads. If you decide to use a DM5 with Drum Rocker, you'll also likely want to purchase a kick pad and regular kick pedal, which will let you take advantage of the increased control that the DM5 offers. The drum pedal that comes with Drum Rocker can then be used as a hi-hat pedal.
I googled the Alesis DM5 drum module and it's $349.

...and then there's this:
Q: There will also be a controller to convert the set into real drums? How much?
A: While Drum Rocker pads can be used with any drum module (or "drum brain") with 1/4" inputs, you will get the best results from a module that has adjustable input sensitivity, so it can be "tuned" to the output of the Drum Rocker pads and cymbals. We recommend the Alesis DM5, which has been tested with Drum Rocker. The DM5 can generally be found for $349 at musical instrument retailers like Sweetwater and Guitar Center.
Not exactly sure what that is, but it's the same price. Pretty sure it's the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']I think I read the drum brain is $350.[/quote]

oh wow yikes!

is there going to be a midnight Sept 13th release at stores for this? I wouldn't mind getting loaded, walking to the mall 2 streets away, and coming back to rock out.

Has this been mentioned here yet?

The disc export feature was made available on the Xbox 360 via a title update to the original Rock Band on September 4, 2008, with a cost of 400 MS Points ($4.99 USD).Four songs from Rock Band are not transferable. "Enter Sandman" by Metallica, "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden, and "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath are unavailable for transfer in all versions of Rock Band, and "Monsoon" by Tokio Hotel is non-transferable in the European release of Rock Band. Each Rock Band song had to be relicensed for use within Rock Band 2.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Has this been mentioned here yet?[/QUOTE]

Just saw this over on QJ. I'd be pissed if I didn't get the original for free, but my buddy is psyched as hell that all he has to do is rent the game and do this. I wonder how much HD space is required though... I'm running low.

Edit: Saw somewhere else that size is apparently ~1.5 gb. yikes. Anyone know a cheap/easy way to upgrade a 360 hard drive, and more importantly, TRANSFER all my saves/data?

[quote name='Zmonkay']Just saw this over on QJ. I'd be pissed if I didn't get the original for free, but my buddy is psyched as hell that all he has to do is rent the game and do this. I wonder how much HD space is required though... I'm running low.

Edit: Saw somewhere else that size is apparently ~1.5 gb. yikes. Anyone know a cheap/easy way to upgrade a 360 hard drive, and more importantly, TRANSFER all my saves/data?[/QUOTE]ah, looks like your edit beat me to it... but I'll go ahead and post Mojimbo's screenshot anyway, which settles the HD space question:
rockband_export2.jpg

Again thanks to CAG Mojimbo for the pic. Also keep in mind that you CAN delete individual songs after the transfer if you are really strapped for space. Not an ideal solution, but if you're really in a pinch you've at least got that to fall back on.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Just saw this over on QJ. I'd be pissed if I didn't get the original for free, but my buddy is psyched as hell that all he has to do is rent the game and do this.[/quote]

why would you be "pissed"... you wouldn't get your money's worth out of playing a game for a year?

i think people would be pissed if their song collection amassed so far was useless.

[quote name='DestroVega']why would you be "pissed"... you wouldn't get your money's worth out of playing a game for a year?

i think people would be pissed if their song collection amassed so far was useless.[/QUOTE]

lol, not at HMX, at myself for spending 60 bucks (game) on something I could get ~free a year later. I'm impatient and do stuff like that all the time, heh. Though now I debate if I should get RB2, because in a year I could probably borrow it from a friend and rip the songs to my 360 (DLC is supposedly backwards compatible, so it's not like I wouldn't have more new songs to play)...

crap didnt realize this is so close to release..

sucks we have to pay to export our dlc. i dont have the original so i have to rent it to export them.

Do they become unusable in rb1 once exported?

I couldn't figure out how to do the export last night and I looked everywhere. Do you start from the marketplace? I figured out from the other thread its in the Rock Band 1 in game menu.

I think I'll probably go to Best Buy this weekend to get the shirt for $5 regardless of whether or not I actually get the game there.

So, is anyone actually going to pick-up the Ion drum set?

If anyone does, commentary about the feel would be appreciated. :mrgreen:

I do plan on picking it up. I'm not going to export the songs cause It's not that hard to just switch disc's over. I will get a review up when I pick them up

I love how HMX worked hard on getting the export feature to work for fans yet people are acting like 400pts/$5 is so outrageous. It's the price of a song pack, which I can more than get behind to have everything playable in one game.

I'm still on the fence about picking the ion kit up, if I do though I plan on doing an unboxing for all the beautiful people.

I'm going to pick it up at a retailer if anything though, $300 is already a lot so the $50 shipping can take a sweet suck of my ass.

Picking this up when the instrument pack comes out in October. I didn't have a 360 when RB1 and RB2 has already been announced. The fact that I can just borrow or rent the game, spend $5 and have nearly all of the songs from RB1 is awesome.

[quote name='Zmonkay']lol, not at HMX, at myself for spending 60 bucks (game) on something I could get ~free a year later. I'm impatient and do stuff like that all the time, heh. Though now I debate if I should get RB2, because in a year I could probably borrow it from a friend and rip the songs to my 360 (DLC is supposedly backwards compatible, so it's not like I wouldn't have more new songs to play)...[/QUOTE]

Just think how cheap it will be if you wait 20 years!

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I like that the pads are black this time around.

I'm curious about when the symbol expansion(s) will be out though.[/quote]
Gamestop says 9/22/08. So pretty soon!

Now, I know that GH:WT will condense their drum charts to accommodate the RB drums... but has either camp addressed whether anything will be done about the onscreen color layout? It would be sweet if you could actually change the charts to match the color of the drum pads.

Exported my songs to the Hard Drive, and just sold my Rock Band Set :) I will be picking up the new bundle on release date :)
I think I am gonna go ahead and preorder and best buy so I can get the t-shirt.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Exported my songs to the Hard Drive, and just sold my Rock Band Set :) I will be picking up the new bundle on release date :)
I think I am gonna go ahead and preorder and best buy so I can get the t-shirt.[/quote]

Does the bundle even have a release date yet, or are they still sticking with "sometime in October"?

That's the drum set. I said the bundle. I guess they're releasing instruments separate before the bundle.. which is weird

Just curious as to what everybody is trying to sell their old sets for? I'm hoping somebody will pick it up on Craigslist, so I can get the new one at Sam's Club when it comes out in October.

[quote name='Papadosh']Just curious as to what everybody is trying to sell their old sets for? I'm hoping somebody will pick it up on Craigslist, so I can get the new one at Sam's Club when it comes out in October.[/quote]
I traded in the whole bundle a few weeks ago for around $80 at Gamecrazy.

I definitely need a new drum set, but I haven't decided which one, yet. I'm considering the IONs, but I want to hear about the compatibility of all these sets across RB and GH. With the RB sets, it's been said that the symbols don't have to be duplicates of the pads - they are in RB, but can be programmed differently. I think that was back when they were first announced, so I don't know if that's holding true or if it was just hearsay. And if they can be mapped differently, will it be done in GH?

[quote name='Bioshocked360']I traded in the whole bundle a few weeks ago for around $80 at Gamecrazy.[/quote]

Damn, might have to make a trip to GameCrazy...

[quote name='ivanctorres']I just learned that Rock Band Bundle won't be available until October :([/quote]

I've been complaining about that for 2 months.

[quote name='masked lemon']Any word on when the Guitar will be available seperately?[/quote]

Same day as the game.

The only thing you can not get on day 1 is everything bundled together, which is available October 19th.

Man, I still cant decide between this and GH4. I have never played Rock Band and havent play GH pasted GH2 on PS2.

I plan on getting one but they are both so similar I cant decide.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Man, I still cant decide between this and GH4. I have never played Rock Band and havent play GH pasted GH2 on PS2.

I plan on getting one but they are both so similar I cant decide.[/quote]

why not both then?

Ok, I'm a total rock band idiot and was wondering: people who've played both platforms (PS3/360), which one is overall better in terms of use (I hate 360 multi user log in... unless there's an easier way).

So far I'm leaning towards the PS3 version just because of ease of use but, then again, I don't know much other than the few hours of the game I've played at a friends home.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Ok, I'm a total rock band idiot and was wondering: people who've played both platforms (PS3/360), which one is overall better in terms of use (I hate 360 multi user log in... unless there's an easier way).

So far I'm leaning towards the PS3 version just because of ease of use but, then again, I don't know much other than the few hours of the game I've played at a friends home.[/quote]:grouphug:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Ok, I'm a total rock band idiot and was wondering: people who've played both platforms (PS3/360), which one is overall better in terms of use (I hate 360 multi user log in... unless there's an easier way).

So far I'm leaning towards the PS3 version just because of ease of use but, then again, I don't know much other than the few hours of the game I've played at a friends home.[/quote]

I've played on the PS3 once, and all I can recall is that it called for turning off the console 3 or so times before we finally got the controller issues ironed out and could start playing.

The multiuser log in is easy. Just hook everyone up, then take turns pushing the guide button and logging in. Me and my buddies always do it at the start menu and it all goes off without a hitch.

I'd say it's better on the 360 just because you get to use all the instruments across the entire console, and you get DLC two days before those poor PS3 users.

[quote name='ZForce915']No new instrument purchases for me until you suckers have tested them out for flaws.[/QUOTE]
You mean you didn't enjoy mailing out your guitar/drums multiple times?! Good call though. I wonder if they learned their lesson. There also seems likes theres going to be a ton more options as far as different controllers to buy.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I've played on the PS3 once, and all I can recall is that it called for turning off the console 3 or so times before we finally got the controller issues ironed out and could start playing.

The multiuser log in is easy. Just hook everyone up, then take turns pushing the guide button and logging in. Me and my buddies always do it at the start menu and it all goes off without a hitch.

I'd say it's better on the 360 just because you get to use all the instruments across the entire console, and you get DLC two days before those poor PS3 users.[/QUOTE]

HMX has said they have made the user log in smoother in RB2. I'm curious how.

My biggest issue with the 360 version, which I have, is that it doesn't support guests. RB is a game you are bound to have non-gamers over playing quite a bit. There have been several times where I wanted to call up a buddy and have him hop on live and fill ink a position with my party, but can't because I only have one gamertag with live gold.

If any game ever screamed the need to support guests, this is it. Does anyone know if RB2 will?

[quote name='DemonAlcohol']You can go online with guests in the original rock band. I've done it many times.[/QUOTE]

You can? Well shit. I've never seen how. Now I have to look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back