ROFL at this racist as hell teacher's essay:

help1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
http://martynemko.blogspot.com/2009/06/white-teacher-speaks-out-what-is-it.html

What is it Like to Teach Black Students?

by Christopher Jackson

Until recently I taught at a predominantly
black high school in a southeastern
state.

The mainstream press gives a hint of
what conditions are like in black schools,
but only a hint. Expressions journalists
use like “chaotic” or “poor learning
environment” or “lack of discipline” do
not capture what really happens. There
is nothing like the day-to-day experience
of teaching black children and that is
what I will try to convey.

Most whites simply do not know what
black people are like in large numbers,
and the first encounter can be a shock.

One of the most immediately striking
things about my students was that they
were loud. They had little conception of
ordinary decorum. It was not unusual
for five blacks to be screaming at
me at once. Instead of calming down and
waiting for a lull in the din to make their
point—something that occurs to even
the dimmest white students—blacks just
tried to yell over each other.

It did no good to try to quiet them, and
white women were particularly inept at
trying. I sat in on one woman’s class as
she begged the children to pipe down.
They just yelled louder so their voices
would carry over hers.

Many of my black students would
repeat themselves over and over again—
just louder. It was as if they suffered
from Tourette syndrome. They seemed
to have no conception of waiting for
an appropriate time to say something.
They would get ideas in their heads and
simply had to shout them out. I might be
leading a discussion on government and
suddenly be interrupted: “We gotta get
more Democrats! Clinton, she good!”
The student may seem content with that
outburst but two minutes later, he would
suddenly start yelling again: “Clinton
good!”

Anyone who is around young blacks
will probably get a constant diet of rap music.
Blacks often make up their own jingles,
and it was not uncommon for 15 black
boys to swagger into a classroom,
bouncing their shoulders and jiving back.

They were yelling back and forth, rapping 15 different sets of
words in the same harsh, rasping dialect.
The words were almost invariably
a childish form of boasting: “Who got
dem shine rim, who got dem shine shoe,
who got dem shine grill (gold and silver
dental caps)?” The amateur rapper usually
ends with a claim—in the crudest
terms imaginable—that all womankind
is sexually devoted to him. For whatever
reason, my students would often groan
instead of saying a particular word, as in,
“She suck dat aaahhhh (think of a long
grinding groan), she f**k dat aaaahhhh,
she lick dat aaaahhh.”

So many black girls dance in the hall, in the classroom,
on the chairs, next to the chairs, under
the chairs, everywhere. Once I took a
call on my cell phone and had to step
outside of class. I was away about two
minutes but when I got back the black
girls had lined up at the front of the
classroom and were convulsing to the
delight of the boys.

IT IS A REALLY LONG ESSAY, THE REST IS ON THE LINK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why on earth would anyone spend that much time reading such a long essay when chances are it's just some unfunny stereotypical bullshit?

[quote name='Moxio']Why on earth would anyone spend that much time reading such a long essay when chances are it's just some unfunny stereotypical bullshit?[/QUOTE]

I didn't read it all, but I found it interesting that this guy wrote so much about generalizing black people in such a negative way and feeling no remorse about it. He is practically treating black people like separate animals, and yet thinks he is doing someone a favor by writing this crap.

[quote name='Koggit']it's not nearly as long as it looks, but nobody's gonna read anything so poorly formatted[/QUOTE]
Bullshit, it's way too long.

I'm reading it all right now. I honestly think this is a huge troll trying to stir shit up. It is an amusing read though. U RACIS

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Bullshit, it's way too long.[/QUOTE]
i didn't realize that help1 only quoted an eight of the full thing..

Just watch the 4th season of The Wire for a more realistic look. At how fucked up it is on both sides of the fence, faculty and kids.

It's not "black children" that are the problem. It's forcing troublemakers (regardless of skin color) to sit in classes with kids that actually want to learn, they become disruptive and intimidate others.

I actually do agree with the thing about how blacks repeat themselves over and over again. I called a party line once, and a black man repeated himself for 10 minutes straight.

Honestly, most of what he says is true, he just failed miserably at trying to prove his point without hiding how deeply racist he is.

He could have pointed out the behavior of his students, but had to go and load in way too many phrases that seems to describe his students as wildlife specimens rather than kids. "A black boy saunters up to a white girl. The cocky black dances around her, not really in a menacing way." WTF?

[quote name='Moxio']Why on earth would anyone spend that much time reading such a long essay when chances are it's just some unfunny stereotypical bullshit?[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it be sad if that was an accurate retelling of events in his life?

its only racist until you go into a majority black school and realize he's spot on about everything. Then its just sad.

I have a hard time believing a man who spent so much time with the bottom rung of one culture spent a significant time with the bottom rung of another culture.

EDIT: Po fok suck.

[quote name='Will']How is he racist? Not hitting the link but the little bit that was posted, Ive seen that myself.[/QUOTE]

Because if you don't think black people aren't always equal if not better than the average, you're a racist.

[quote name='Will']How is he racist? Not hitting the link but the little bit that was posted, Ive seen that myself.[/QUOTE]

At first, the essay is just like "hey, there is a kernel of truth in there somewhere" but as your read more and more, he starts to seemingly attack the black children, when really they are just a result of their environment. He is making it seem like they are innately incompetent, but in my opinion, their parents just don't discipline them enough and don't set a good example. The children mentioned in this article (note: I don't just say black people because there are smart black people, which this ass hat has the nerve to call "miracles") don't know grammar because their parents use an improper dialect at home.

I read the entire thing, and I fail to see how this article qualifies as "racist". By my eyes, it is a report of what this guy experienced, not some unfounded racial stereotype that he just thought up. To the contrary, almost the entire piece is comprised of actual occurrences, not assumptions or conjecture. These are things he saw with his own eyes over an extended period of time.

Now, most of you will probably read what I am writing, look over to my avatar and see what part of the nation I am from, and think "you redneck racist". I can't change that perception, but I can tell you that blacks in the South and blacks in the rest of the nation are of a very different breed. What this man says about southern black people is, for the most part, true. I've been here 27 years, I've seen it with my own eyes. I've also known a great deal of blacks that come from other parts of the nation, and the majority of the time, they are more eloquent, more educated, and less caught up in their own skin color.

Blast away.

Jack-Hunter is a douche.

I don't really know why I am pipping in here, but this isn't racist. If someone wrote a report like this only about white kids, I guarantee you wouldn't consider it racist. As the post above me said, he's merely recounting his experiences in a school environment.

[quote name='Ender']Now, most of you will probably read what I am writing, look over to my avatar and see what part of the nation I am from, and think "you redneck racist". I can't change that perception, but I can tell you that blacks in the South and blacks in the rest of the nation are of a very different breed. What this man says about southern black people is, for the most part, true. I've been here 27 years, I've seen it with my own eyes. I've also known a great deal of blacks that come from other parts of the nation, and the majority of the time, they are more eloquent, more educated, and less caught up in their own skin color. [/QUOTE]

I've tried explaining this same thing to people before, but it always gets turned into the "you're a racist white guy from the south" situation. I guess it's one of those "you have to see it to believe it" type of things.

[quote name='Cracka']I've tried explaining this same thing to people before, but it always gets turned into the "you're a racist white guy from the south" situation. I guess it's one of those "you have to see it to believe it" type of things.[/QUOTE]

I have a close personal friend from work (black guy) who was born here in the South and then moved away at 18 to do high-level work for the government in DC and other areas farther north as well for 20+ years. He recently moved back down here to the South to care for his mother.

He told me that while he was in the northern part of the country, he would always defend southern people, southern black people in particular, because his memory of the way people were down here was positive. He told me a few weeks ago that he could no longer defend these people in good conscience because they were some of the sorriest and laziest people he'd ever seen. He said he was embarrassed. It also bothers him how people get so caught up in their own blackness that they cease to be capable of just being people, instead of black people.

The experiences at one school in one part of the country provide insufficient data to make generalizations about a racial group that exist all over the nation. If you want to overlook that and act like all black people everywhere are like this, then you, too, are a fucking racist.

I'm thoroughly unsurprised to see Ender is a racist.

Regarding the link in the OP; best case scenario it's troll as fuck, worst case scenario it's racist as fuck.

I remember when I taught high school there'd always be this black kid who'd "stake out territory" outside my classroom before class and yell "get off my block" to other students in the hall.

And then I remember one of my white students saying she loved Brokeback Mountain because in the end "the $$$$$$ dies."
Also I had a student write a note about how she got impregnated on a lawn mower and then she accidentally left it on the floor. Another student read it and passed it around the class. After getting halfway around the class, I noticed something was fishy and confiscated the note. But her image was tarnished for the rest of the semester.

One of my best teaching memories was when I walked into my class about thirty seconds late and my black students were all seated while all my white students were standing up. I stated "if you're white, sit down." The white students sat down, and the black students stood up. It was great. That was after building rapport with the students though, where they knew I wasn't some closeted racist, and although it was a good memory, in hindsight it was likely a bad idea.

Sounds like that school needs more Mr. Prezbo. Start banging on kids with glocks.

[quote name='mykevermin']The experiences at one school in one part of the country provide insufficient data to make generalizations about a racial group that exist all over the nation. If you want to overlook that and act like all black people everywhere are like this, then you, too, are a fucking racist.

I'm thoroughly unsurprised to see Ender is a racist.

Regarding the link in the OP; best case scenario it's troll as fuck, worst case scenario it's racist as fuck.[/QUOTE]

After reading the article in question, I don't think the author was posturing that all black people across the nation are like this. And neither am I.

Explain to me how I am, so unsurprisingly, a racist. The things I said were my observations in my part of the country for the time frame that I have been alive. Is it racism to state those things? Or, in the name of almighty tolerance, should I ignore and never mention anything I see that could possible cast anyone black in a negative light?

And honestly, saying something like "I'm thoroughly unsurprised to see Ender is a racist" implies that you pretty much expect people from my area to be racists, which is a stereotype like the one you are accusing me of subscribing to. What's the difference, myke? The political acceptance of bashing rednecks over blacks?

[quote name='Ender']After reading the article in question, I don't think the author was posturing that all black people across the nation are like this. And neither am I.[/QUOTE]

Provide me one example in the essay that emphasizes, states, or even implies that he's talking about a specific group of people in a specific region of the United States, as opposed to all people of a certain type in any given part of the nation.

As for you, I said nothing about your geographic location. I empathize with that, as I grew up in Kentucky. But given your posts in the past, I am unsurprised that you would defend the assertions made in the essay, and support them by saying you've had the same experiences in your own life. Has nothing to do with Alabama, and everything to do with you.

[quote name='mykevermin']Provide me one example in the essay that emphasizes, states, or even implies that he's talking about a specific group of people in a specific region of the United States, as opposed to all people of a certain type in any given part of the nation.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='the op']Until recently I taught at a predominantly
black high school in a southeastern
state.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that sum it up? The very first line of what he wrote?

[quote name='mykevermin']Provide me one example in the essay that emphasizes, states, or even implies that he's talking about a specific group of people in a specific region of the United States, as opposed to all people of a certain type in any given part of the nation.

As for you, I said nothing about your geographic location. I empathize with that, as I grew up in Kentucky. But given your posts in the past, I am unsurprised that you would defend the assertions made in the essay, and support them by saying you've had the same experiences in your own life. Has nothing to do with Alabama, and everything to do with you.[/QUOTE]

As mtxbass1 said, he leads out with a statement that, while not worded very clearly, implies that his story will be based in the setting he mentions: a predominantly black school in a southeastern state. Also, while not a geographical designation, his whole article is geared towards and derived from a set of experiences in a predominantly black school, and I think his thrust is to point out what he sees to be trouble in said schools. He doesn't mention anything from experiences in the city or community, from other past experiences from other areas.....he is giving a recollection of his time at this school with this group of people, and it doesn't seem to be an unfair assessment. I will grant you, he seems quite frustrated and disgusted with the black people he encountered, doesn't he?

You call his statements "assertions", as if they are unfounded. This was his experience; how is it an assertion? It's a telling of facts, regardless of how it might make a particular ethnic group look to the reader. Similarly, my experiences with many (not all, mind you, but many) black people have been akin to his, and my saying so is not an assertion nor is it a racist comment. It's what has happened to me.

During my childhood, I lived in a small town in Georgia, and there were almost no black people there. The few that did live there were quiet and respectable, albeit uneducated and lowly in demeanor. We didn't talk about race or black people, so in my younger years no prejudices were created in me towards that race. When I moved to Mobile (which is a big city by comparison), I began to encounter more and more black people, and the encounters were mostly negative, and in keeping with this author's story. It's just the way it is, myke. It's nothing intrinsically wrong with me, it's not racism, it's not unfair prejudices against a group. Its simply my series of experiences with black people.

I think it's a failure of the education system.

Why would students coming from an environment of poverty care about German philosophy, 95% know it's unlikely they will ever be in a position to trade bon mots about Kant with Klaus Scharioth.

Why not also offer to teach these students something they could use, such as a trade like plumbing, carpentry, or electronics. I think a little American Civics 101 should be thrown in for good measure, but no need to force in-depth world history/philosophy when it falls on deaf ears.

Notice I'm advocating giving the students a choice - I'm sure some will choose to take classes on the humanties and that's great - hopefully their choice will translate into enthusiasm for the course material and respect for the teacher. I'm just advocating giving the remainder of the students an opportunity to learn a trade that will increase their lifetime income, instead of continuing to try to force information down their throats that will ultimately have no bearing on the remainder of their lives.

I went to the #1 rated high school in Chicago and the author is pretty much telling my story. Some black kids were smart and very well-mannered since it was THE best school in the city, but then there was the other half that liked to rile up $hit. I remember walking in a bathroom, almost witnessed the start of a beating (black on black), pretended to wipe my hands, then hauled ass.

[quote name='camoor']I think it's a failure of the education system.

Why would students coming from an environment of poverty care about German philosophy, 95% know it's unlikely they will ever be in a position to trade bon mots about Kant with Klaus Scharioth.

Why not also offer to teach these students something they could use, such as a trade like plumbing, carpentry, or electronics. I think a little American Civics 101 should be thrown in for good measure, but no need to force in-depth world history/philosophy when it falls on deaf ears.

Notice I'm advocating giving the students a choice - I'm sure some will choose to take classes on the humanties and that's great - hopefully their choice will translate into enthusiasm for the course material and respect for the teacher. I'm just advocating giving the remainder of the students an opportunity to learn a trade that will increase their lifetime income, instead of continuing to try to force information down their throats that will ultimately have no bearing on the remainder of their lives.[/QUOTE]

So, in summary, we should lower the requirements for a high school diploma to cater to the lowest common denominator? Since when is the required adolescent education choice-based?

Look, I understand where you are coming from, but if the majority of other children (white, hispanic, asian, european, indian, and some black) can achieve these goals and behave respectfully, why should we just allow the small minority to do whatever they want and pick-n-choose their diploma requirements? Really, that's just silly. I know it has become "cool" and almost demanded that we be tolerant of every difference/lifestyle/choice in this nation, but some things are just requirements, and are good for the whole of people.

It really is nothing personal camoor, but I am so tired of attitudes like the one you expressed above. All people should be held to the same standards, at least in the area of educational requirements and behavior standards. If a subset of our population is not achieving that, then the best thing we can do is look the facts square in the face, acknowledge the truth, and then take steps to remedy the issue. For the issue in question, I think the resolution begins at home, with better parenting and marriages, and finding some way to reduce the miserable lack of fathers in the black community. Also, and I'll just say it, we are not doing them any favors by catering to their weaknesses and just saying "it's ok, you're black, we'll cut you some slack here". We should demand that they and their children rise to the accepted levels of the rest of the population, and we should help them get there. (Notice I said "the rest of the population"; I'm not talking about a white standard. I am speaking of the standards that almost all cultures living in America today are living in accordance with.)

I just wish kids today had better role models in their parents or family they deal with. Most come from backgrounds were the adults in the situation don't know how to act so their child(ren) are a reflection of that. I try to teach my nieces and nephews about the proper way to carry yourself and to treat people with respect regardless of who they are. I know how I was raised to live by the "Golden Rule" which is to treat others how you would want to be treated.

Too bad most of what you try to show and teach these children about doing better falls on deaf ears because they all want to be something they see but have no clue how to get it or doesn't understand the hardwork that goes into being able to have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mtxbass1']Wouldn't that sum it up? The very first line of what he wrote?[/QUOTE]

No, that doesn't quite sum it up.

Later in the article he says:

"One might object that there are important
group differences among blacks that a white man simply cannot detect. I
have done my best to find them, but so
far as I can tell, they dress the same, talk
the same, think the same. Certainly, they
form rival groups, but the groups are not
different in any discernible way. There
simply are no groups of blacks that are
as distinctly different from each other
as white “nerds,” “hunters,” or “Goths,”
for example."

The author is definitely a troll.

[quote name='Cracka']its only racist until you go into a majority black school and realize he's spot on about everything. Then its just sad.[/QUOTE]

As someone who has graduated from an black-majority high school, I can tell you, that essay is dead on. But the problem isn't just limited to blacks, but all ghetto children.

Blame mainstream rap, blame MTV, blame the losers they hang around or grow up with, but ghetto children do act that way.

Half way through the article he just plain stops addressing them as his students and goes on to generalize them as an entire race. Saying things like this:

"There is something else that is striking
about blacks. They seem to have
no sense of romance, of falling in love.
What brings men and women together is
sex, pure and simple, and there is a crude
openness about this. There are many degenerate
whites, of course, but some of
my white students were capable of real
devotion and tenderness, emotions that
seemed absent from blacks—especially
the boys."

[quote name='Ender']So, in summary, we should lower the requirements for a high school diploma to cater to the lowest common denominator? Since when is the required adolescent education choice-based?

Look, I understand where you are coming from, but if the majority of other children (white, hispanic, asian, european, indian, and some black) can achieve these goals and behave respectfully, why should we just allow the small minority to do whatever they want and pick-n-choose their diploma requirements? Really, that's just silly. I know it has become "cool" and almost demanded that we be tolerant of every difference/lifestyle/choice in this nation, but some things are just requirements, and are good for the whole of people.

It really is nothing personal camoor, but I am so tired of attitudes like the one you expressed above. All people should be held to the same standards, at least in the area of educational requirements and behavior standards. If a subset of our population is not achieving that, then the best thing we can do is look the facts square in the face, acknowledge the truth, and then take steps to remedy the issue. For the issue in question, I think the resolution begins at home, with better parenting and marriages, and finding some way to reduce the miserable lack of fathers in the black community. Also, and I'll just say it, we are not doing them any favors by catering to their weaknesses and just saying "it's ok, you're black, we'll cut you some slack here". We should demand that they and their children rise to the accepted levels of the rest of the population, and we should help them get there. (Notice I said "the rest of the population"; I'm not talking about a white standard. I am speaking of the standards that almost all cultures living in America today are living in accordance with.)[/QUOTE]

How about this: I don't like having my taxpayer dollar wasted on an erudite education that many young adults don't want, don't appreciate, don't need, and won't use.

Let's give them an education they do want and will recieve some value from. I don't care if you call it a "trade GED" or something like that, since you seem to buy into the mystical significance of a diploma ritual (it's just a freaking label).

I think you need to face facts, not every person in America has the time or luxury to meditate on the history of German philosophy. But I have to think if you threw some of these students a lifeline, if you taught them a valuable skill that meant they had a chance of avoiding the spectre of taking multiple part-time jobs at fast-food joints or welfare dependency, I have a feeling that many would welcome the challenge and appreciate the opportunity being provided.

[quote name='Ender']So, in summary, we should lower the requirements for a high school diploma to cater to the lowest common denominator? [/QUOTE]

We already do that, its called No Child Left Behind and is the reason my kids go to private school now. After the city of chicago started this whole gentrification trip they are on, all the low income/section 8 people (all races I might add) were relocated to the suburbs. Let me tell you, the lowest common denominator can get pretty low.

A lot of shop type programs at schools have been eliminated, which i think is a shame. For people who had no interest in college, it was a good way for them to find a trade they liked doing, if it was metal working, wood working, auto mechanics etc..

High schools don't really teach any marketable skills anymore. High school graduates barely have more opportunities than someone who drops out. Plus the drops outs have a few years worth of work experience on the graduates.

I didn't read the entire thing, but it brought back memories.

I worked one day for the East Cleveland School District. I spent the day setting up and configuring computers in the classrooms. I got to witness first hand how the current generation of inner city black school kids behave.

I couldn't believe it. Kids would literally stand up in the middle of class and just walk around and talk to their friends. The teacher couldn't do shit. Kids would talk out loud, make all kinds of noise, etc. It was ridiculous! I have never seen or heard of such a thing in my life. I wouldn't have been surprised if the kids told the teacher to shut up because she was interrupting their conversation.

[quote name='gindias']We already do that, its called No Child Left Behind and is the reason my kids go to private school now. After the city of chicago started this whole gentrification trip they are on, all the low income/section 8 people (all races I might add) were relocated to the suburbs. Let me tell you, the lowest common denominator can get pretty low.[/QUOTE]

Do you mind expanding on what happened in Chicago? Was this part of Arne Duncan's plan where he wielded No Child Left Behind, and closed districts in areas primed for Gentrification?

I'm always interested in hearing people's views of the school system in Chicago.

For anyone who calls him racist, he's spot on. Any inner city majority black school is like that. It's terrible. The absolute worst are the classes with the foreign teachers, particularly Filipino. They are the most disrespectful, rude children to the point that nothing can be learned.

[quote name='JolietJake']A lot of shop type programs at schools have been eliminated, which i think is a shame. For people who had no interest in college, it was a good way for them to find a trade they liked doing, if it was metal working, wood working, auto mechanics etc..

High schools don't really teach any marketable skills anymore. High school graduates barely have more opportunities than someone who drops out. Plus the drops outs have a few years worth of work experience on the graduates.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely insane. There's no money to teach a respectable trade like plumbing or electronics, but money is found for literature profs to wax philosophic about Kierkegaard and Hegel while the kids do whatever they want.

I have no doubt that it will be hard to give these kids the skills they need to live a better more fulfilling life, but if we're going to keep shelling out the dough for education we need to at least make a legitimate go of it.

[quote name='strayfoxx']

I'm always interested in hearing people's views of the school system in Chicago.[/QUOTE]

It sucks complete fucking dick. That's all you need to know. CPS schools are the biggest pieces of shit in the country. I don't care what anyone says.

It seems like he taught at an extremely poor school, where the education is poor and the kids aren't as likely to excel. He takes his experiences with these black kids and applies them to every black person. That's why it's racist. These kids have had the worst education probably throughout their time in the school system and he expects them to respect school when they get to high school. The system sucks for them, why the hell should they want to be there?
He mentions that the poor white kids act the same as the black kids, which would leave me to believe that it's more of an economic condition than racial.
The fact that he considers these black people as an analogue for the whole race is his problem and the reason I think most people see it as racist.

I only gave the excerpt a quick once-over, but did it read like this guy was an equal-opportunity racist in that he looks down and generalizes all races?

bread's done
Back