Roll your own Sushi Guide

NICE!!!! Just got back from having some. I like tako, thats octopus, but you dont you roll that, you just slice and enjoy.

I had some for lunch today, and while it was good, I feel I could definitely improve on the recipe. Actually having fresh puffed rice on the outside, and potato chips on the inside. Crunchy rolls for the win. :drool:

Awesome. I love sushi, but with prices the wife won't let me get it very often. Hopefully making it myself will be cheaper.

Thanks OP, never had sushi before. I don't know why, guess cause the rest of the family are picky eaters. Maybe I can make my own (parents sure won't eat it, guess I'm on my own :D)

California rolls are cheap to make......just fake crab sticks, avocado, cucumber, rice and sushi seewead paper.......mmmmmm

I have the real ground wasabi root not the powder!

Stuff makes me hop around......

I usually make sushi every so often, after awhile its pretty easy. Just a long slow tedious process making it, but its so worth it when you're done and eating it for a fraction of the price in restaurants.

DSC03573.jpg
All the sushi we ended up making on one valentines day

DSC03580.jpg
Rainbow rolls *drools* man i'm getting hungry now.

Awesome, I registered since I love new learning experiences. Thanks, OP.

Though it'd be hard for me to break even when factoring in time + costs of obtaining the ingredients - fortunately, I work in the center of town and I frequent a bento box restaurant that has 50% off sushi after 4pm each day - that means I get a bento box of 2 shrimp, 2 salmon, 2 eel, 2 red snapper, 4 vegetable rolls and wasabi for $4.50. I doubt I can beat that...

man that's a good deal. We have half price bentos here in dallas too, but they're like 10$ come with teriyaki chicken, salmon or grilled mackerel, rice, misc. pickled roots etc..., and a cali roll. You seem to have the much better deal.

[quote name='twanky']I usually make sushi every so often, after awhile its pretty easy. Just a long slow tedious process making it, but its so worth it when you're done and eating it for a fraction of the price in restaurants.

DSC03573.jpg
All the sushi we ended up making on one valentines day

DSC03580.jpg
Rainbow rolls *drools* man i'm getting hungry now.
[/quote]

What's in the middle next to the dragon rolls and behind the rainbow rolls?

[quote name='VioletArrows']What's in the middle next to the dragon rolls and behind the rainbow rolls?[/quote]

Well over there on the boat tray are spicy tuna rolls, and in the glass tray the brown things are shrimp tempura.

I make sushi all the time myself, and as twanky said it usually takes a while to make it. But it's oh so worth it for cheap, good sushi!

Thanks OP!

Twanky, I'm just curious, what do you do to make your rice? I usually use a rice vinegar + sugar/salt mix, but I'm looking to try something a little different.

[quote name='twanky']Well over there on the boat tray are spicy tuna rolls, and in the glass tray the brown things are shrimp tempura.[/quote]

Oh sna- :D So... when's the next sushi night?

bread's done
Back