Rolling Stone's "The Immortals:The 100 Greatest Artists of All Time"

[quote name='beerguy961']I can't buy into the idea that just because a song "resonates" with a lot of people that it makes it one of the best songs of all time. There are a lot of songs that became really popular and just because they find a wide audience does not make it a good song. It simply makes it a popular song. Not that that inherently makes it bad, but it certainly doesn't make it good.[/QUOTE]

Your'e right, but let me add to it a bit.

'Baby One More Time' doesn't really strike a chord with many people over 14. 'Hot In Herrre' isn't something I hear preschool kids grooving to. 'Hey Ya' knew no boundaries.

Also, I think it's a good song and that Outkast are quite inventive and talented. They managed to push the concept of what a 'hip-hop' record could be and Andre 3000 managed to out-Prince Prince in the process.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I think the song reached such a large audience because it was good, as opposed to Britney and Good Charlotte who reach a large audience despite the fact that it's crap.

One more thing...

I would think that artists who inspired a great number of big artist would be included, which is why I'm surprised at the lack of Joy Division and the Pixies.

[quote name='megashock5']Point taken, but Prince's name is Prince. That's what his mother named him.[/QUOTE]

Granted, but did his mother name him Artist Formerly Known As Prince, The Artist, or that symbol which cannot be expressed with a standard keyset? When I said Prince, I was implying his entire pantheon of vanity.

[quote name='gaelan']Hendrix should have been 1-100...its just too bad that a pussy like John Mayer had to nominate him.[/QUOTE]

John Mayer knows his music, and he can actually play. But he also knows what sells (and attracts young girls). :lol:

[quote name='megashock5']Your'e right, but let me add to it a bit.

'Baby One More Time' doesn't really strike a chord with many people over 14. 'Hot In Herrre' isn't something I hear preschool kids grooving to. 'Hey Ya' knew no boundaries.

Also, I think it's a good song and that Outkast are quite inventive and talented. They managed to push the concept of what a 'hip-hop' record could be and Andre 3000 managed to out-Prince Prince in the process.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I think the song reached such a large audience because it was good, as opposed to Britney and Good Charlotte who reach a large audience despite the fact that it's crap.[/QUOTE]

Well, I can safely say that it's not a good song. Not top 500 good anyways. That's reserved for the "Johnny B. Goode"s of the universe...

[quote name='Ozzkev55']my opinions:
5) Chuck Berry by Joe Perry
-he is crazy awesome i recomend, johnny B. Goode, and You Never Can tell

6) Jimi Hendrix by John Mayer
-john mayer recomended jimi hendrix, wtf

8) Little Richard by Little Richard
-hes good, but their might be ego issues

24) Jerry Lee Lewis by Moby
-never saw that recomendation coming

41) The Doors by Marilyn Manson
-ditto

49) Elton John by Billy Joel
- two words, Lion King

55) Grateful Dead by Warren Haynes
-Hes in the band

66) Cream by Roger Waters
-roger waters came out of his hole, lets get him, and make him tour again
I agree with mostly everyone on that list, save madonna, though some importants are missing like stevie ray vaughan[/QUOTE]

Stevie Ray Vaughn isn't on the list because of his songwriting abilities, though I do think he should be on the list as well

another person who I do feel should have been included was Garth Brooks. Up until Elvis started striking it big again, he was the number one selling solo recording artist in history. If nothing else, he really changed the way people perform live in concert (hell a kid in school told me last time he performed live in Chapel Hill, he played for 5 hours straight and sang everyone of his songs and when he got tired of that started busting out covers of other people's songs).

[quote name='Scorch']^^whether anyone here wants to admit it, that is the damn truth. I'm just glad he said it and not me, I didn't want to offend anyone :p.. if he hadn't have died/had a new movie about him, I guarentee that he would've also not won the "CD of the year" award.[/QUOTE]

true ray charles is good but not that good...glad lynyrd skynyrd and nwa made the list though

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']no Pumpkins or Billy Corgan... boo[/QUOTE]
dam straight...bastards and there not admiting 90's alt rock is teh shit!

[quote name='beerguy961']Well, I can safely say that it's not a good song. Not top 500 good anyways. That's reserved for the "Johnny B. Goode"s of the universe...[/QUOTE]

And I can safely say that it's debatable. Your opinion is that it isn't very good, and mine is that it's pretty good. And I completely respect your opinion as a fellow music fan. Please note that I'm not claiming that it's top 500 or that it's in the same league as 'Johnny B. Goode' (and my dad gave me a Chuck Berry record when I was five or six) - just trying to give Outkast some props for making one of the better pop songs of the last couple years. (Although I see your 'Johnny B. Goode' and raise you Brian Wilson's 'God Only Knows).

The Britney stuff isn't even debatable. It's just crap. Hopefully we can agree there :)

bread's done
Back