Rosetta Stone - Arabic

Chadt74

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (98%)
Ok I figured I'd take a shot here and see if anyone can help. I'm looking for Rosetta Stone-Arabic CDs and I have checked most places and they are expensive so I figured a fellow cheapass might be able to give me a tip on buying these cheap.

Any help/advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.

[quote name='Chadt74']Ok I figured I'd take a shot here and see if anyone can help. I'm looking for Rosetta Stone-Arabic CDs and I have checked most places and they are expensive so I figured a fellow cheapass might be able to give me a tip on buying these cheap.

Any help/advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Tag. I'd also love to get that software. Just out of curiosity, what's your motivation to learn arabic? I know a bit, and have been taking private lessons, so I might at least have access to some decent resources.

I think Rosetta Stone only teaches you nouns and verbs and not the actual grammar of the language. That's how it was with the one I tried, it didn't get me very far. I think you'd be better off taking an actual class.

I'm moving to the Middle East for work so I figured I'd better learn how to speak the language at least somewhat. I probably will take a class when I'm over there, but I'd like to have a resource at home to start my introduction and continue practicing.

Just a cautionary note that the type of Arabic Rosetta Stone will teach you is the kind that you will see written in books and newspapers: no one actually speaks it (unless they're a news anchor or a politician giving a speech). People actually talk to each other using one of the many Arabic dialects.

[quote name='Aganar']Just a cautionary note that the type of Arabic Rosetta Stone will teach you is the kind that you will see written in books and newspapers: no one actually speaks it (unless they're a news anchor or a politician giving a speech). People actually talk to each other using one of the many Arabic dialects.[/QUOTE]

While it's true that the colloquial (foosha) arabic is very seldom spoken, people will understand you better if that is your root. You can then spend a little time to pick up the slang, and the dialect (the egyptian "gah", or the Syrian "oooh" for example).

The nice thing about the arabic alphabet is that it's a phoenetic language for the most part. You see the letter, you pronounce it.

Just knowing verbs and nouns will be very beneficial. I would also suggest learning the numbers well, as that is an easy way to find out where you on are a map.

bread's done
Back