Router Advice needed

smokey6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Looking for some advice on a new wireless router, I don't really have the $$ to grab one of the e3000 models hear so much about.

I just upgraded my internet to 20Mbps and want to be sure I am using it wisely.

I wouldn't consider myself a network pro (or even semi-pro) I have been running a cheap Belkin wireless G for a while now, bought it when my last one crapped-out and aven't got around to replacing it until now, and have about $75 Amazon credit that I fell I should invest in an upgrade.

Looking to spend about $70-100 shipped, I run my ps3 wired, I don't require it to run wireless because of the other wired devices near it on my entertainment setup. I do have a handful of wireless devices that are all B+G devices. Here's my ordeal, right now my connection runs like so:

Modem
|
Belkin Wireless--wired xbox 360 from here
|
Muti-Port Netlink Hub
|
PS3, CPU, Cable Box

Am I causing any type of speed choke by running through the multiple devices?

I found this one on amazon for $75 - D-Link DIR-655

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LIFB7S/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Would this be a decent wireless replacement?

Any advice would be appreciated, TIA

When you say hub, do you mean you are using a hub because you need more ethernet ports for devices? Hubs will definately cause congestion, I would replace that with a switch if possible. That router is fine, none of the current gen consoles have gigabit network yet, but if you transfer files between computers on your network it will be crazy fast, and you will notice N wireless from the B or G. If you have the slim 360, the wireless is great on N, and one less cable.

I am partial to the Linksys routers myself, I like to run the DD-WRT firmware.

You can buy the Linksys WRT310N from Amazon refurbished for around $40. I recommend these to all my friends.

I have to second jhamlett's advice. I also run a WRT310N and WRT160N , both refurbed, with DD-WRT and both have been working well for over a year. DD-WRT really is the way to go, you cant beat the stability.

I third jhamlett's advice. I'm partial to Cisco/Linksys routers running DD-WRT.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/

Steps to put a DD-WRT f/w on depends on your router model. Tomato f/w is a good alternative too.

DD-WRT is the way to go. I do WDS all over my house which you can't find in a stock consumer grade router.

Thanks for all the advice, I am stuck to having a multi-port hub because i need more than one device to have connections at the same time. Since I had a direct LAN connection next to my PS3 I just went with wired connection for stability.

The WRT-310 sounds like a good router for the $$ but is heat a concern with anyone who is using one now? Seems that heat issues are all on the top of the google searching.

Also, I have found some random people talking down about the certified quality of a cisco refurb. But they did not run DD-WRT on them, so it may be the reason for their unstable connections. Lastly, is there any way to see if the WRT-310 that is up on amazon is the ver 1.0, because DD-WRT is not available for ver 2.0 yet?

Because at $40, and for what this model is capable of, I may pick up 2 and expand my current set through out the house.

Thanks everyone!

bread's done
Back