Router or ICS? Which is better and why?

Naughty_Insomniac

CAGiversary!
Basically my question is, why should I buy a wired router as opposed to using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)? I want to be able to use my PC and PS2 at the same time.

So ... I'm considering going online with ICS. Is there any drawback to going this way? Will I still be able to use my PC and my PS2 at the same time? Is there going to be any extra lag? Is there any reason why ICS is bad? Should I just buy a wired router? I know that you have to have the PC on and connected to the net at all times, but it's already that way (I have DSL).

Any help is appreciated, as I am very confused ... :mrgreen:

Router. Definately a Router. First and foremost, you'll have a hardware Firewall. Very important if your PC is on at all times. With a router, you can add addtional net devices with out having to open up your case to add yet another network card. Most routers have at least 4 ports. And ICS will cause slowdowns in my experience. Many times you'll have to restart or reboot to get ICS working again.

That help at all?

Yep. Definately a router. A wired one can easily be found for around 20 dollars, and even G wireless routers can be found for around 50.

Not to mention you have to have the computer you're sharing the internet connection from on the whole time. Lots of power consumption right there.

Get a router.

Yeah, although I tend to disagree with everyone as part of my life as an insubordinate monk, the router is the way to go, you won't need to keep your computer on, and unless you are downloading lots of crap, you can browse the internet and play your ps2 online without the lag, although I suggest doing one or the other. Oh, and please do not get a dlink router, in my experience they are not so good with games that use a headset.

Considering the only choices are router or ICS, go with the router. ICS won't forward the port traffic as well as a router will.*

*Disclaimer*
I have yet to use a router that worked 100% with the PS2 NA although I have read that some exist. The best way to use the PS2 online is to connect it directly to the Cable or DSL modem (assuming your provider uses PPPOE.) I couldn't play ATV Offroad 2 online until I pulled my router out of the equation. Socom II voice traffic wouldn't work either.

I use the D-Link614+ and have had no problems with PS2 online play, including voice chat.
I have a bunch of online games too.

9 times out of 10, its the configuration.
Put your PS2's IP address in the DMZ and that should take care of any problems.

I started out with ICS and now have a router. I had no problems with ICS. I left the computer on all the time so I didn't give a squat about power consumption. I have no files on my pc that I can't afford to lose, and I can have my pc up and running in five minutes if it crashes, so I don't care about hackers. Shoot I don't even use anti-virus software. I only switched to a router because I got one for free. It's a dlink di-604 and I've had no problems with voice chat or anything else. However routers are so damn cheap now that I'd have to recommend one over ICS.

Being the cheapass that I am, I tried to go with ICS instead of buying a router. I figure if it doesn't work or if I don't like it, I can always go back out and then buy a router. Well, you guys were all right. All I can say is HMPH! :evil:

Here's how it went down:
  • Install Ethernet card in PC. No prob. Everything works fine.
  • Ok next ... Enable ICS. Can you say CRASH! The machine just crashed. It would NOT boot.
  • Ok ... so re-install Windows and try again. 4 times!! And each time, yah, CRASH! :evil:

Anyway, I think my boyfriend wants to keep trying and make it work. Me? I'm ready to go out and buy a router. Only one problem ... My modem is USB only. Is there any way I can connect a USB-only modem to a router? Please don't tell me I'm going to have to buy a new modem too. :evil: :cry:

USB only, as in, the connection plugs into the USB port on your PC? Im almost positive there is no sort of adaptor to connect the USB to the router.

[quote name='SS4Brolly']USB only, as in, the connection plugs into the USB port on your PC? Im almost positive there is no sort of adaptor to connect the USB to the router.[/quote]
Yeah, the modem only has one port and it's USB. It plugs into the USB port on my PC.

[quote name='jdpimp']Sure there is: http://www.pccables.com/70618.htm[/quote]
Awesome! So I can hook up my PS2 to the router, my PC to the router, and the router to the modem using that adapter? Without buying a new modem? WOO HOO! \:D/ Hugs and kisses to jdpimp! :D :p

Of course, I am fully expecting that someone is going to point out some reason why this adapter is not a good idea.

*Prays that nobody rains on her parade.* [-o

bread's done
Back